What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts... (1 Viewer)

With Andrus, DeShields, and Odor all out now it would seem the Rangers would call up Willie Calhoun and DH him or let him play LF.  Not sure when his service time cutoff is but it should be sooner than later.  He has 20 days already, Rangers need to stay under 172 over this year and last, so for sure by May 1.  But they can just call him up now, then send him down later for three weeks. 

With Andrus, DeShields, and Odor all out now it would seem the Rangers would call up Willie Calhoun and DH him or let him play LF.  Not sure when his service time cutoff is but it should be sooner than later.  He has 20 days already, Rangers need to stay under 172 over this year and last, so for sure by May 1.  But they can just call him up now, then send him down later for three weeks. 
Calhoun's bat would help but he can't replace any of the three injured Rangers defensively.  Even if Texas calls him up early, his PAs will be limited.

Profar and Drew Robinson will fill two of the slots (with some platooning help for Robinson). Somebody named Hanser Alberto is the only other SS on the 40 man so my guess is they'll slide Profar over to short and take their chances with Kiner-Falefa at 2B.

Maybe Delino DeShields Sr. still has game.

Calhoun's bat would help but he can't replace any of the three injured Rangers defensively.  Even if Texas calls him up early, his PAs will be limited.

Profar and Drew Robinson will fill two of the slots (with some platooning help for Robinson). Somebody named Hanser Alberto is the only other SS on the 40 man so my guess is they'll slide Profar over to short and take their chances with Kiner-Falefa at 2B.

Maybe Delino DeShields Sr. still has game.
Profar to SS, Robinson to 2B, Rua to CF, Choo to RF, and Calhoun to DH.  Wala

Yep, I read this article earlier in the week after Keith law linked to it at about Pivetta. There's yet another one from The Pitcher List this week. I'm biting hard on the hype here. I actually picked him up as a spec ad before any of these articles after a podcast was talking about him saying he's a guy that both the scouts and the analytics guys believe in.

Another guy who is looking pretty similar, though at a higher cost, is Aaron Sanchez. Like Pivetta, he has a new pitch he really believes in - in this case a changeup. Jeff Sullivan wrote about him recently as well and in his first game after that, he used the changeup 40% of the time and took a no hitter into the 8th.

I think there's a lot to like in these guys who are throwing 95 MPH and now all of a sudden developing and gaining confidence in a new major weapon pitch. They're both 25 years old, so it's not unrealistic to think they're still on the way up. Of course one is Canadian and the other plays in Toronto, so maybe I just want to believe.

1B Ronald Guzman will be recalled to replace Elvis Andrus. Rangers moving Joey Gallo out to the outfield. Hate this season already.

Sorry man. I know you have shares (and a man crush) our our Willie Calhoun, but that 0.206/0.229/0.324 line in Round Rock, with no real glove, isn't too exciting. Then again, the media here is screaming for him to come up as the season is already a lost cause. I think another month in the minors gets the Rangers another year of control.

Logan Forsythe was pulled out  during the game due to elbow/shoulder?

****' replaced him and I added a bunch of shares of ****'. Forsythe has been a slug all season and ****' has been a gamer in the past. 

****' replaced him and I added a bunch of shares of ****'. Forsythe has been a slug all season and ****' has been a gamer in the past. 
Dodgers are down to their third string 3B by mid Apr. 

When's Gleyber getting the call? He's on fire and Walker sucks.

More importantly, the injuries are squeezing me and I'm not trying to dump prospects for immediate help. It'd be great if one of them became immediate help.

pollardsvision said:

More importantly, the injuries are squeezing me and I'm not trying to dump prospects for immediate help. It'd be great if one of them became immediate help.
I was reading that they have to wait until middle of next week to call him up to secure the extra year.

I’d like him up too. Short due to injuries, but have Senzel and Torres ready to roll.

pollardsvision said:

Torres only has 135 PAs above A ball

when are the Braves going to call up Acuna?  

Spent a mid round pick on this kid...he's eating roster space.

He hasn’t hit in AAA and literally everyone the Braves play is murdering MLB pitching right now. 

The Brewers call up C Jacob Nottingham.  He was a hot hitting prospect (for a catcher) a couple of years ago but struggled in his first exposure to AA pitching. 

He was the only healthy catcher on the 40 man and Manny Pina doesn't seem like he'll be out for a long time.

The Brewers call up C Jacob Nottingham.  He was a hot hitting prospect (for a catcher) a couple of years ago but struggled in his first exposure to AA pitching. 

He was the only healthy catcher on the 40 man and Manny Pina doesn't seem like he'll be out for a long time.
All of the pieces are falling into place for my BTTF juggernaut 

I dropped him last year, lol.  I thought he retired.

I just picked him up for old timey sake.  

Last edited by a moderator:

**** has been a turd all year.  just dropped him for greg garcia, as i suffer through xander on the DL 

**** has been a turd all year.  just dropped him for greg garcia, as i suffer through xander on the DL 
I've already dropped most all my Kiki shares. And same with Moran, his BA is decent, but he gets bubkus everywhere else on the linescore. Maybe if the move him up in the batting order...

Anybody buying Ivan Nova?

Of course, he feasted off the Marlins and the Cubs who aren't hot yet, but his SwSt rate is up to 11% this year. A small uptick in K's would make him a pretty solid SP option, I think.

Anybody buying Ivan Nova?

Of course, he feasted off the Marlins and the Cubs who aren't hot yet, but his SwSt rate is up to 11% this year. A small uptick in K's would make him a pretty solid SP option, I think.
I didn't end up with him anywhere, but he was a pitch usage tweak away from unlocking some hidden K potential.  Did that come to fruition?

What makes people believe that Greg Garcia has a path to PT?
I don't really see it but I think the belief is Kolten Wong might be bad and Carpenter may be in decline. Maybe a lot of days their best infield is Carpenter/Martinez, Garcia, DeJong and Gyorko? And Jose Martinez seems to have a couple small injuries to deal with already.

What makes people believe that Greg Garcia has a path to PT?
I don't really see it but I think the belief is Kolten Wong might be bad and Carpenter may be in decline. Maybe a lot of days their best infield is Carpenter/Martinez, Garcia, DeJong and Gyorko? And Jose Martinez seems to have a couple small injuries to deal with already.
Even if Garcia gets playing time, he's a 1-2 category contributor

Northern Voice said:
Carpenter is fine. k’s up some but so are walks and he sees more pitches than any other hitter. He has a 91% medium/hard contact rate and has a BABIP below .200. That’s not decline, that’s bad luck. 

Also consider Jose Martinez is gross in the field and Carpenter can play three positions. 

Carpenter is fine. k’s up some but so are walks and he sees more pitches than any other hitter. He has a 91% medium/hard contact rate and has a BABIP below .200. That’s not decline, that’s bad luck. 

Also consider Jose Martinez is gross in the field and Carpenter can play three positions. 
I haven't seen Carpenter since opening week but he seemed limited in the field.  His arm wasn't as bad as Donaldson but until that's fixed, his best position is 1B. 

MAC_32 said:
I didn't end up with him anywhere, but he was a pitch usage tweak away from unlocking some hidden K potential.  Did that come to fruition?
I haven't watched him this year. Fangraphs info doesn't show anything drastic. He's throwing his curveball less often, but it seems more effective when he does (9th best CB in MLB at the moment). His contact rates are down, both in and out of the zone. He's throwing the fewest first pitch K's of his career, which is odd, and doesn't seem like a great sign.

No idea, really. Probably just feasted off the Marlins (though Tanaka couldn't). I might try to pick him up for his start in Philly to see what happens. Even if the strikeouts are a mirage at the moment and there's no budding K upside, he's a fairly low risk guy, as far as waiver types go.

Also keeping an eye on Tropeano. He looked good against the Royals (of course), but he's 27 and there's some nice K upside there if he can finally put it all together.

ALERT

Tyler O'Neil getting the call to the Cards tomorrow.

Its a crowded OF in STL, but he's killed the minors

He hasn’t hit in AAA and literally everyone the Braves play is murdering MLB pitching right now. 
No one in that Atlanta outfield is preventing Acuna from being called up and played every day. The corpse of Nick Markakis only has a certain ceiling, and Preston Tucker may turn into a pumpkin. Only one stopping Acuna is Acuna. 

I'd be shocked if Torres isn't up very soon, meaning like tomorrow. He earned the extra year today, Yankees 2b and 3b are all struggling, tyler Austin still has a 5 game suspension pending, and he's tearing the cover off the ball. 

ALERT

Tyler O'Neil getting the call to the Cards tomorrow.

Its a crowded OF in STL, but he's killed the minors
Unfortunately for O'Neill, it's a reliever being sent down, not an outfielder (Pham) going to the DL, so I don't know that he'll get a ton of chances this time up unless it ends up that Pham does need a few games off.

Users who are viewing this thread