What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 US Open - Shinnecock! (1 Viewer)

I am a Phil fan, and I think he should be DQ'd. Lost his mind for a minute
Me too, on both accounts.  That was ugly.  But the rules guy was firm in that it was a 2 shot penalty and they move forward (was with Buck and Zing along with Davis post-round).  I think that is a bad precedent, but whatever.

ETA: Rickie shot worst-of-the-day 84 and never did anything dumb, as far as we could see.  He was obviously frustrated, but a class dude.  More reason to root for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they don't soften the place up so much tomorrow that it's completely different from even the first couple of days. 

Rafa Cabrera Bello‏Verified account @RCabreraBello 1h1 hour ago

Painful finish with a 7 at the last that ruins a pretty decent day. Regardless, it was not a fair test of golf. Greens were unplayable, with unnecessary pin positions. @USGA found a way to make us look like fools on the course. A pity they manage to destroy a beautiful golf course

ETA: Hank Haneydick piling on:

Hank Haney‏Verified account @HankHaney 1h1 hour ago

Hank Haney Retweeted Robert Lusetich

Nothing ceases to amaze me w @USGA as they ruin another US Open

Not sure how he wasn't DQ'd. He obviously intended to deflect it and admitted as much after the round. I guess the language of the rule gives them all the wiggle room they need, but I can't imagine a more obvious case of deliberately deflecting a ball in motion. If that's not a DQ in the US Open of all places, they should just take the rule out of the book.

Not the best tenure going on for Mike Davis.

Ian Poulter‏Verified account @IanJamesPoulter

FollowFollow @IanJamesPoulter

More

Ian Poulter Retweeted Cara Banks

Is that an apology ? Just grow a set of balls and say we £€¥#ed it up again... You don’t get mulligan’s in business at this level. how can this team keep doing this without consequences.

Ian Poulter‏Verified account @IanJamesPoulter

FollowFollow @IanJamesPoulter

More

Ian Poulter Retweeted Cara Banks

Is that an apology ? Just grow a set of balls and say we £€¥#ed it up again... You don’t get mulligan’s in business at this level. how can this team keep doing this without consequences.
‘This team’ = USGA? 

The real problem is the ball/equipment. To make par a winning score the course has to be set up sooooooooo close to unplayable that one hot, dry and windy afternoon can turn it into a parking lot. 

I’m 1980 only 6 players averaged over 280 off the tee. I played today. I’m a higher single digit handicapper. I average 280 off the tee. 

Even from the tips I have a 7-PW into most par 4s and can reach more than half the 5s. 

I’m 1980 only 6 players averaged over 280 off the tee. I played today. I’m a higher single digit handicapper. I average 280 off the tee. 

Even from the tips I have a 7-PW into most par 4s and can reach more than half the 5s. 
Couldn't agree more. Should have never happened back in 2000 or whenever it was. USGA is tasked with protecting the oh so precious "integrity" of the game. My ###.

The real problem is the ball/equipment. To make par a winning score the course has to be set up sooooooooo close to unplayable that one hot, dry and windy afternoon can turn it into a parking lot. 
This is really it here.  There was one guy under par after Friday.  The course setup was working, but they wanted that magical, meaningless “protect par” BS and ####ed it all up.  Davis needs to own this and step down.

Has to be. Chambers Bay, Fox, blowing Shinnecock like this in the first visit back after blowing it last time, this ridiculous Phil ruling. Probably time for Davis to give somebody else a shot.
It's so funny to me. Being abused by this lost golf course, he chased down his errant putt and whacked it back towards the hole? WAT?! It's awesome. I laughed hard at the interview people are upset about too. :lol:

He's clearly full of it. He's trying not to laugh I guess because folks can be so uptight. He did say when it happened that he wanted to be disqualified if that's the right rule, but the rules guys said since he took a legitimate stroke (at the hole!) and didn't just stop the ball or whack it away that it's a 2 stroke penalty. I think he preferred disqualification. :lol:

Beef Johnston, the Brit he was partnered with, apologized as he laughed. Phil said to him he didn't know how they'd rule it. And then they proceeded to finish the round telling each other funny golf stories to keep their minds of the miserable conditions. It's all good if you lighten up and consider Phil Mickelson chased a putt and struck it before it stopped. :lol:  

If I wake up and he's disqualified tomorrow, that will still make me laugh. 

It's so funny to me. Being abused by this lost golf course, he chased down his errant putt and whacked it back towards the hole? WAT?! It's awesome. I laughed hard at the interview people are upset about too. :lol:

He's clearly full of it. He's trying not to laugh I guess because folks can be so uptight. He did say when it happened that he wanted to be disqualified if that's the right rule, but the rules guys said since he took a legitimate stroke (at the hole!) and didn't just stop the ball or whack it away that it's a 2 stroke penalty. I think he preferred disqualification. :lol:

Beef Johnston, the Brit he was partnered with, apologized as he laughed. Phil said to him he didn't know how they'd rule it. And then they proceeded to finish the round telling each other funny golf stories to keep their minds of the miserable conditions. It's all good if you lighten up and consider Phil Mickelson chased a putt and struck it before it stopped. :lol:  

It's definitely funny, but the ruling is wrong. And in a very high profile way.

Oh I love it. Primarily I love how much it upsets people. YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THE GAME.  I hope he does it again tomorrow. 
I hope several of those duffers do it. I mean who "wants to go back and forth across those greens?" :lol:  

he shot an 81. Disqualification would be merciful.

As John Cook says, Phil should do the right thing and "slam his trunk". He won't though. Guy rolled on his buddy to stay out of the pokey. Not the most stand-up of guys.

Those poor, poor professional golfers. How dare the PGA make it hard for them? I enjoy watching the challenge and I root for every putt.

Last place at Shinnicock earns almost $24,000 dollars. I earned just $2000 more than that teaching in 2017 all year.

I think most of us found it entertaining and didn't think at the time that he was disrespecting anything.  The interview was bad though, he didn't come off good there.

I hope several of those duffers do it. I mean who "wants to go back and forth across those greens?" :lol:  

he shot an 81. Disqualification would be merciful.
NO DQ!!!  I need Phil to beat Ricky tomorrow in their head to head pairing for fantasy purposes.   :kicksrock:

Those poor, poor professional golfers. How dare the PGA make it hard for them? I enjoy watching the challenge and I root for every putt.

Last place at Shinnicock earns almost $24,000 dollars. I earned just $2000 more than that teaching in 2017 all year.
That's not really last place. I mean you have to make the cut, get thru sectional or an invite, maybe regionals, and have a scratch handicap.  So if last place is beating what? 10000 or so qualifier entrants. Yeah. Ok. 

I think some folks are missing the point regarding the course setup yesterday.  It's not that the course was too hard.  That is to be expected from a US Open setup, and I enjoy watching the best golfers in the world get killed for one weekend out of the year.  There were two issues separate from that which stood out for me.  First, the morning draw ended up playing about 3 strokes easier than the afternoon.  The morning draw, all else equal, will always play somewhat easier than afternoon, but this was too far imo.  The final group being two guys who are there solely because they tee'd off in the morning is silly.  Second, the course was so difficult that it became a crapshoot to the point that it was impossible to predict where putts would go, and great approach shots would routinely bounce or roll off of the green.  Some parity is good, but when professional golfers feel powerless to do anything out there, I think it has gone too far.  With all that said, I still thoroughly enjoyed the theatrics of yesterday.  I enjoy watching golfers struggle to extreme limits and still empathize with the guys out there getting a raw deal.  

Just my .02, I think the USGA will reel it back in today and it will be closer to what we saw Thursday, which was a good middle ground.  Portnoy might end up winning this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread