What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 US Open - Shinnecock! (1 Viewer)

Another dumb question. When the course is "lost", what happens? Cancel the day? Postpone? Can they usually get the course "unlost" by next day?
No cancellation. Easier pin positions tomorrow. Tons of water. Slow it down a bit. I agree with others who said Johnson just being a drama queen though. It's playing brutally tough. It's supposed to be tough.

No cancellation. Easier pin positions tomorrow. Tons of water. Slow it down a bit. I agree with others who said Johnson just being a drama queen though. It's playing brutally tough. It's supposed to be tough.
I disagree. When a guy like Zach Johnson says that on camera, it's really bad.

Like was posted above (by you I believe), when great shots aren't being rewarded..it's gone

Total golf noob here. Have it on TV. What do they mean when they say they've "lost the golf course"?
Course is basically a crapshoot right now. Skill matters a lot less out there this afternoon. For reference, the morning tee times played about 4 over par. The afternoon is playing 6 over and only getting worse.

I suppose they could deem the course unplayable and suspend play but that would be almost unprecedented.

I disagree. When a guy like Zach Johnson says that on camera, it's really bad.

Like was posted above (by you I believe), when great shots aren't being rewarded..it's gone
He's one of the biggest drama queens out there. Course conditions changed drastically. It happens. It's amplified because of the venue. I love watching these guys hanging on for dear life.

That’s the problem...while they all play the same course, you don’t want timing or luck to be the deciding factor.
Sometimes it's unavoidable, like in Scotland when it goes from sunny to a 40 mph wind in the middle of the round.

That's not what happened here though.  They overestimated how close/dry they could have the course at the start of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ's righted the ship.  Hard to do in the middle of a round -- seems like it usually gets away from them when they start like that.

I don't get this at all.  This happens once a year in this tournament.  You like watching the same thing every week?
Four world-class players at the top of the leaderboard. This is setting up for some serious drama tomorrow. The Masters was a letdown. The Players was a runaway. Been awhile since we've had an exciting Sunday at a major. Anything can happen out there! This is great.

Another dumb question. When the course is "lost", what happens? Cancel the day? Postpone? Can they usually get the course "unlost" by next day?
no, they'll play on Sunday. they USGA will likely water the greens and not shave them quite so close as today. 

but you have to remember: the USGA likes their Open courses hard has hell. they love winners above par. and as a "golf guy" i like seeing pros struggle a bit (ok, a lot). birdie-fests posing as Major Championships are kinda dull. 

I don't get this at all.  This happens once a year in this tournament.  You like watching the same thing every week?
I've seen like 2 birdies in 3 hours and I don't like seeing the best players in the world shoot 76.  nobody can shoot even par today from the later tee times.  this is a joke today.  maybe tomorrow will be better and sure, its a good leaderboard and close, but today is not good.

I left 3 hours ago!
How many thousands of people are out there?  And it’s maybe 5/hole that are embarrassments. So less than 100.  Honestly I think part of it is Fox’s weird audio. Picking up the drunks more than at most tourneys. Just a guess.

How many thousands of people are out there?  And it’s maybe 5/hole that are embarrassments. So less than 100.  Honestly I think part of it is Fox’s weird audio. Picking up the drunks more than at most tourneys. Just a guess.
Just messing.  1st time doing this and it was mobbed.  Drinks were definitely flowing all day and the group in front of me heading into the course definitely pre-gamed heavy before entering.

It looks like the crowds are very thin.  Grandstands seem fairly full but galleries are empty.

Yeah... the last 10 players were +67 today.  Jokesville.

Let's just give the spectators shotguns and let them take aim at the ball once it's in the air.

Nice to hear the USGA owning it on the broadcast here.  Surprising.

ETA:  Azinger is such a suck up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seeing Phil's "shot" - haven't even read the thread but they should DQ him for that IMO.  That's a joke - what if his shot went in the hole?

Nice to hear the USGA owning it on the broadcast here.  Surprising.

ETA:  Azinger is such a suck up.

I'm outside. Cliff's notes?
Yeah Mike Davis owned it about as gracefully as he could I think.

CN: thought the setup was great this morning, but did not account for/expect what the wind did in the PM.  Admitted they had about 3 pins that were in bad spots, and where great golf shots were not only not rewarded, but were penalized.  Said tomorrow will definitely be better.

Obviously the afternoon guys won't find much solace in this, but at least he didn't pretend this was the USGA expected outcome for today.

Yeah Mike Davis owned it about as gracefully as he could I think.

CN: thought the setup was great this morning, but did not account for/expect what the wind did in the PM.  Admitted they had about 3 pins that were in bad spots, and where great golf shots were not only not rewarded, but were penalized.  Said tomorrow will definitely be better.

Obviously the afternoon guys won't find much solace in this, but at least he didn't pretend this was the USGA expected outcome for today.
Thanks facook

Users who are viewing this thread