What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (2 Viewers)

Slight disagreement on bench and coach.   It is obvious you are an astute viewer because most casual fans don't realize just how good Bridges is.  He is working his way into close to a max contract and most fans have barely seen him play.  So props on the SF call.
Yeah, coach is really a tossup and the difference is basically just a longer tenure, but Williams has been fantastic this year.

As for the bench, the value really comes down to foul trouble on Gobert or Ayton.  If Gobert has to sit, Favors is a decent replacement.  If Ayton has to sit, the Suns will be in serious trouble in the interior.  If Ayton doesn't get in foul trouble, the Suns bench will keep up and the play of Payne & Craig has been outstanding these playoffs.

The more I looked at it, the more I really, really want to see this matchup with everyone healthy.  Should be some fantastic basketball and better than me yelling defensive instructions at the TV during Nets games.  I about blew a gasket during the last Bucks/Nets game.

Add in the fact that the Jazz would have a legit home court advantage in the series I give a slight advantage to the Jazz
It's worth noting the SUNS handily beat the Jazz in their own house.

Dec. 31 Suns @ Jazz 106-95 (all starters healthy)

April 7th Suns vs. Jazz 117-113 (OT and all starters healthy)

April 30th Suns vs. Jazz 121 -100 (Crowder and Spida out

Reasons one may dismiss the Suns winning every game vs. the Jazz this year and my retort

1) postseason is more halfcourt - suns better in the halfcourt

2) Spida injured game 3 - okay, good argument, but he was fine in game 1 and 2

3) home court for the Jazz , Suns beat most playoff teams on the road(incredible road record)

4) Snyder has more experience than Monty - really hard to gage this, thus far Monty doesn't seem to be making mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the bench, the value really comes down to foul trouble on Gobert or Ayton.  If Gobert has to sit, Favors is a decent replacement.  If Ayton has to sit, the Suns will be in serious trouble in the interior.  If Ayton doesn't get in foul trouble, the Suns bench will keep up and the play of Payne & Craig has been outstanding these playoffs.
I love the Suns bench and man for man I think they would demand more on the open market than would the jazz.   But bench value is subjective and based on different factors for every team.  I'm not as worried about Ayton because Gobert isn't a signficant scoring threat.  Was much more concerned vs. AD and Joker and was cursing the Suns front office for not getting a better backup big in free agency like Drummond or Boogie.  That being said, Ayton is our only pure rim protector so we'll need him out of foul trouble...encouraged with what he's done vs. the Lakers and Jokic  in terms of staying out of foul trouble...it's been drilled into his head not to foul.

Bridges is a very good 3 and d guy, but he isn't even in the same galaxy as a max guy. 
I'd agree with him not being a max guy, but he has been the best 3 & D guy in the league this season.  Part of that comes with ease of being the 4th option offensively and playing with CP3 and Booker, but he did his job very, very well all year and is continuing that in the playoffs (although his 3pt% has been down in the playoffs a bit).

This season, he was #3 in the NBA in O-rating, #5 in TS% and eFG% & #14 in total winshares.  Statistically, he was one of the most efficient players in the league while playing in all 72 games.  He even had a career low in turnovers with a career high in usage.  Guy is a difference maker and will probably get paid like it, especially if the Suns make the Finals.

I'd agree with him not being a max guy, but he has been the best 3 & D guy in the league this season.  Part of that comes with ease of being the 4th option offensively and playing with CP3 and Booker, but he did his job very, very well all year and is continuing that in the playoffs (although his 3pt% has been down in the playoffs a bit).

This season, he was #3 in the NBA in O-rating, #5 in TS% and eFG% & #14 in total winshares.  Statistically, he was one of the most efficient players in the league while playing in all 72 games.  He even had a career low in turnovers with a career high in usage.  Guy is a difference maker and will probably get paid like it, especially if the Suns make the Finals.
Additionally, he isn't done improving.   He has extreme work ethic and A+ character which is why we've seen such significant leaps from his game.

It's worth noting the SUNS handily beat the Jazz in their own house.

Dec. 31 Suns @ Jazz 106-95 (all starters healthy)

April 7th Suns vs. Jazz 117-113 (OT and all starters healthy)

April 30th Suns vs. Jazz 121 -100 (Crowder and Spida out
No Conley on 4/30 either.  And 12/31 was a looonnnnngggg time ago with no fans in the arena.

Looking only at the numbers from the regular season . . .

Offensive Rating (Higher the better) | Defensive Rating (Lower the better) | PER (Average = 15.0)

Paul: 124/111/21.4
Conley:  123/109/19.2
Paul was slightly more efficient.

Booker: 110/114/19.2
Mitchell: 115/110/21.3
Not sure how Booker was considered that efficient given that his defense technically was worse than his offense.

Bridges: 131/112/16.4
Bogdonavic: 113/112/14.0
Bridges offense was better and Bogdonavic rated pretty average.

Crowder: 113/111/11.8
O'Neale: 121/108/9.9
The weakest spot for both teams. Neither player did much, and O'Neale's PER score is atrocious.

Ayton: 127/109/20.3
Gobert: 131/101/23.5
Gobert being DPOY probably neutralizes Ayton some, but these two were closer than I thought.

Payne: 122/112/17.4
Craig: 121/109/15.5
Saric: 109/111/14.3
Johnson: 112/113/11.8
Payne and Craig more than held their own. Saric and Johnson not as much.

Favors: 138/103/19.7
Clarkson: 109/110/17.1
Ingles: 129/111/15.9
Niang: 114/111/11.4
Again, curious how Clarkson has a good PER score when his defensive score was worse than his offensive score. But Utah appears to have 3 decent options off the bench.

Overall things look pretty even . . . which would explain why these two teams were only a game apart in the standings.

Overall things look pretty even . . . which would explain why these two teams were only a game apart in the standings.
great breakdown...some thoughts

Playoff chris paul is different than regular season chris paul, I think that's plain to see

Booker draws a ton of double teams(which is why one could argue the suns are efficient elsewhere).  I would like to see his double team stats vs. Spida's.  Also, Spida is a better penetrator and Book a pure shooter.  Shooter's space the floor and give efficiencies elsewhere.

Crowder and ONeal are glue guys for both teams, certainly not efficiency guys.  Crowder is super streaky from outside and can be a real liability offensively when he's not hitting his 3s (like the beginning of the LA series)

Great job on Ayton vs. Gobert.  Most casual fans don't realize how good Ayton is.

Saric has been very inconsistent game to game and struggles vs. physical centers...but really he's not a true 5 like Gobert.  More like a slow stretch 4...he's played out of position.

Cam is still growing,  he should be a better shooter and a better defender than his stats show but he's not.  He's still a key piece and he takes every 3 he gets because he really is a pure shooter and the team knows it...just hasn't put it all together.   

if the NBA has taught me anything it's that anyone can get an exorbitant contract after a few months of production that other teams later regretfully pass around after realizing it was an extreme over-payment vs. actual production

so i'm all aboard the "Bridges is a max guy" train as i want to hear discussion about how he's actually a wildly overpaid bum in 2 years

if the NBA has taught me anything it's that anyone can get an exorbitant contract after a few months of production that other teams later regretfully pass around after realizing it was an extreme over-payment vs. actual production

so i'm all aboard the "Bridges is a max guy" train as i want to hear discussion about how he's actually a wildly overpaid bum in 2 years
For the record, I'm just relaying what the rumors are on Bridges' future contract.

So does the sweep continue tonight?

A step towards a gentleman's sweep?

Series reversal?

Beginning of a backdoor sweep?

The Bucks scheme is...what exactly?  The Nets haven't shot well and they haven't been to the line yet.  It's coming...will Buds team panic?

The Bucks scheme is...what exactly?  The Nets haven't shot well and they haven't been to the line yet.  It's coming...will Buds team panic?
They already look like they are panicking. Seems like every shot in the 2nd quarter was late in the shot clock because too many players passing open shots looking for a better shot or just too much dribbling waiting for someone else to do something. 

@caustic Is there a timetable on Harden or are the keeping it pretty quiet and telling everyone day to day?
No timetable yet -- https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31598396/brooklyn-nets-james-harden-jeff-green-progressing-game-3

NEW YORK -- James Harden and Jeff Green have been ruled out for Game 3 of the Brooklyn Nets' playoff series against the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday.

On Wednesday after practice, coach Steve Nash and Green floated the possibility that Green could return as early as Game 4 on Sunday. When asked when Harden might be available to play, though, Nash said he couldn't "set a time on it yet."

They already look like they are panicking. Seems like every shot in the 2nd quarter was late in the shot clock because too many players passing open shots looking for a better shot or just too much dribbling waiting for someone else to do something. 
Yup, that was a disasterous 2nd quarter for Milwaukee.  Middleton hit a few shots and Giannis was aggressive, but the Bucks are doing all the same things that got them destroyed in games 1 and 2.  Only adjustment I saw from Bud was playing Giannis and a few others a couple more minutes.  The rest is just a coaching mismatch that's tough to watch.  He's coaching for his job in the 2nd half.

Users who are viewing this thread