What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (5 Viewers)

As disappointing at that loss was - let's remember that "Hanging with the Super Bowl champion Bucs in the playoffs at their stadium" was not the bar for a successful season, coming off the disaster of a 4 win season we had. Yes, it sucked to lose like that - but this is a young team with a lot of needs. We made a lot of positive steps though. 

Main needs for next year, imo.

We need a solid #2 WR.

We need better QB play.

We need younger talent and depth at DE.

We need a quality young CB.

We can address the WR in FA I think  (and given our draft record might be better odds anyway). DE and CB need to be in the draft.  QB - is the big question. If Hurts can improve to give that better play, but I have no idea. If the coaching staff things he has a low ceiling, then taking a flyer on a QB is a good call. Given that there is no standout talent, we might be able to grab one and see what we have.

Cowboys have Dak for at least 3 years. 5th day of 2022 league year, an additional 31 mil guarantees. They had to include 2 void years to spread out the hit. The dead money if they got rid of him sooner would be crippling. They might kick the can further down the road and convert 2022 base to bonus.
Fair enough, Dak can get bumped into the top category.  My point is, the majority of the NFC is extremely un-set at quarterback.

For us hoping Hurts can develop into a "Dak-level" QB - Is that what we want? Dak seems like a fine youngish QB, but the same issues that plagued him early still plague him now (accuracy) and still has to rely on his legs to get him into the next tier or 2 of QB's  - basically both QB's are less effective as pocket only QB's. 

Now I do think Jalen can improve for sure, but if his max ceiling is Dak (I know some are hoping for Russ wilson development eventually), I'm not sure i"m comfortable with that each year in/out. Would rather just tear it down early vs finding out too late.

Just playing some Devil's Advocate here. 
Agree with you, but what are the options to 'tear it down early'?  Start Minshew?  Or try to draft one in a horrible class of QB's?  THere's like 2-3 QB's that may go round 1, and 10+ OTHER teams hungry for a QB.  The odds of us landing one with as much promise as Hurts (which may not be very much) is really really low.

As disappointing at that loss was - let's remember that "Hanging with the Super Bowl champion Bucs in the playoffs at their stadium" was not the bar for a successful season, coming off the disaster of a 4 win season we had. Yes, it sucked to lose like that - but this is a young team with a lot of needs. We made a lot of positive steps though. 

Main needs for next year, imo.

We need a solid #2 WR.

We need better QB play.

We need younger talent and depth at DE.

We need a quality young CB.

We can address the WR in FA I think  (and given our draft record might be better odds anyway). DE and CB need to be in the draft.  QB - is the big question. If Hurts can improve to give that better play, but I have no idea. If the coaching staff things he has a low ceiling, then taking a flyer on a QB is a good call. Given that there is no standout talent, we might be able to grab one and see what we have.
I think a nice number 2 wr helps hurts a ton.  I mean it has to right?

No chance it Hurts. Truly would be great for Devonta to have a true vet to learn off of as he grows. As good as he is, who is he looking to for advice? Saw him airing out Reagor on the sideline yesterday. Lions kept drafting WR's until they hit Megatron. Just gotta keep swinging. Quez is a nice complementary piece/weapon if we can keep developing him, but not have to rely on him. 

Jjaw + Reagor gotta go. Must go. I don't care what Chad Johnson thinks about Reagor haha. 

Depends on where you get that guy. Looking back the last few years at FA WR’s they get a TON and most suck. 

I agree that we need one but just unsure where to get him. Or maybe they have him in Watkins? He plays bigger then he is and looks good for what I’ve seen. 

Depends on where you get that guy. Looking back the last few years at FA WR’s they get a TON and most suck. 

I agree that we need one but just unsure where to get him. Or maybe they have him in Watkins? He plays bigger then he is and looks good for what I’ve seen. 

It's one of many tough decisions we gotta make.   Hell I would be ok them signing one and drafting another.   Buy yeah if we sign one I hope they don't overpay

Any chance they use 2 of the 1s to move into the top 5 and get a monster pass rusher or something similar from a team with not many picks? 

:lmao: This happens at every stadium and at every single game Ive ever been to. If you have ever been to a game and hung  around after you will see this. Most of the time is fans of the same team. 

Ive been in probably a dozen fights at RFK and fed ex, dating back to the late 80s. That’s almost as many as outside a NFL stadium. 
The amount of Cowboys post in this thread in the last 24 hours is just more proof of what we’ve known all along. 

Doesnt matter if Dallas wins or loses, the Eagles and their fans will always be Dallas’ red headed step child 

The amount of Cowboys post in this thread in the last 24 hours is just more proof of what we’ve known all along. 

Doesnt matter if Dallas wins or loses, the Eagles and their fans will always be Dallas’ red headed step child 
Its the only rivalry in the division with a pulse, sad to say.

Its just plain schadenfreude, but against a rival. You might be surprised to learn we aren't the only ones that feel the same about your team. Hype builds every year, trash talking ensues, same results. 

11 straight playoff appearances without making it to the conference title game. A record!

Mixed in with the players + fans celebrating their win against our backups. Is what it is. 

I know a lot of Dallas fans miss those zero rings jokes. These kind of comments just don't hit as hard, although I commend you on the attempt ;)

Terpman22 said:

Its just plain schadenfreude, but against a rival. You might be surprised to learn we aren't the only ones that feel the same about your team. Hype builds every year, trash talking ensues, same results. 

11 straight playoff appearances without making it to the conference title game. A record!

Mixed in with the players + fans celebrating their win against our backups. Is what it is. 

I know a lot of Dallas fans miss those zero rings jokes. These kind of comments just don't hit as hard, although I commend you on the attempt ;)
Nope. I’m not trying to cross the line in here. I like most of you and I really like talking football with you guys.

With that said, you guys REALLY have the Cowboys in your heads. You know stats even I don’t know. Again, this ain’t a jab- I just don’t know or care much about the Eagles. They lost their playoff game and I haven’t even mentioned it- to anyone, here or IRL. Not because I made an effort not to do so- it just hasn’t crossed my mind because I don’t care about your team. 

Just an observation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboysfan8 said:

Doesnt matter if

Dallas

wins or loses, the

Eagles

and their fans will always be

Dallas

’ red headed step child 
We'd post about your team in your thread, but your thread is the most boring place on earth.

Nope. I’m not trying to cross the line in here. I like most of you and I really like talking football with you guys.

With that said, you guys REALLY have the Cowboys in your heads. You know stats even I don’t know. Again, this ain’t a jab- I just don’t know or care much about the

Eagles

. They lost their playoff game and I haven’t even mentioned it- to anyone, here or IRL. Not because I made an effort not to do so- it just hasn’t crossed my mind because I don’t care about your team. 

Just an observation. 
Ya I'm not sure why "you care so much about us" is this huge diss that many cowboys fans (not you) get their jollies talking about.  Eagles fans are knowledgable and like to discuss our team and our rivals teams.  I don't know why that's such a huge "buuurrrrrnnnnn!!!!"... but I guess when you have no more 'zero ring' jokes, you gotta scratch for something.

Like I just mentioned, it would happen more in your thread if that thread had a pulse beyond what you try to give it.

With that said, you guys REALLY have the Cowboys in your heads. You know stats even I don’t know. Again, this ain’t a jab- I just don’t know or care much about the Eagles. They lost their playoff game and I haven’t even mentioned it- to anyone, here or IRL. Not because I made an effort not to do so- it just hasn’t crossed my mind because I don’t care about your team. 

Just an observation. 
I agree with ya haha and its all good.

So its just funny bc I saw it happen in real life. My cousins were Niners fans late 80s to Cowboys converts early 90's and also converted my brother. We are all from Baltimore. I'm sure us Eagles fans all have some tale to tell about how much their family member Cowboys fans' fandom beginning almost always coincide with right around when they started winning titles, be it the 70s or be it the 90s.

Fans are fans and we make the game fun. Had a fun season, exceeded expectations and its back to the drawing board for both of our teams.

Steady Mooobin said:
:lmao: This happens at every stadium and at every single game Ive ever been to. If you have ever been to a game and hung  around after you will see this. Most of the time is fans of the same team. 

Ive been in probably a dozen fights at RFK and fed ex, dating back to the late 80s. That’s almost as many as outside a NFL stadium. 

This is more if this was Philly it'd be national news and Prescott ok with the fans throwing trash if he was our QB the lead in would be Eagles QB approves of fans fighting and throwing stuff on the field. I've been to Old Yankee Stadium, Metlife, Redbulls arena outside of Philly and down to Baltimore at Camden Yards and Nationals park. I know people who have been to LA at Dodgers stadium. A lot what's happened in Philly the last 20 or so yrs is tame compared to what I've seen and heard. I've heard stories of security telling fans of other teams at Dodgers stadium to take off their team gear before exiting for their own safety. 

Honestly I think they should just do what they do in soccer. Have an away fan section. Would help solve a lot of issues. Also that section only leaves after everyone else has exited sometimes 30 mins after the game 

Terpman22 said:
No chance it Hurts. Truly would be great for Devonta to have a true vet to learn off of as he grows. As good as he is, who is he looking to for advice? Saw him airing out Reagor on the sideline yesterday. Lions kept drafting WR's until they hit Megatron. Just gotta keep swinging. Quez is a nice complementary piece/weapon if we can keep developing him, but not have to rely on him. 

Jjaw + Reagor gotta go. Must go. I don't care what Chad Johnson thinks about Reagor haha. 

I saw that on CB today. I get his point but I think I and CB both said the same differently. Agholar we gave more time as we saw bits and pieces of some good stuff and his numbers improved each year. Reagor looks lost and his numbers have gone down. 

I think I narrowed down who I want in FA though. I left off AROB/Godwin/Adams as I think they'll be well out of our range

Mike Williams: I was wrong about this guy at draft time. I thought he was a product of the Clemson system and how bad the ACC was. He's battled some injuries over the years but when he's had to be the #1 guys especially last 2 yrs with LAC and Herbert when Keanan Allen is out he's produced big time. Big X WR we need and a huge RZ threat. People might say we are out of his price range but honestly I think he's on the fringe of big money do to his availability issues during his career. 

Juju Schuster-Smith: I could see someone buying low on him again given the injury. Depending what their plan for QB is I could also see him back there. He's very good in the inside. Some might not care for the social media stuff but he reminds me of Joel Embiid in that regard. Not saying talent wise he's that good, but I think you get what I mean. Tough WR who will also bring some fun into the receiver room. Teammates in Pitt love him too

Sammy Watkins: Dissppointing career so far. Drafted by Buff when they were in QB purgatory then a stint with the Rams. He's been past around like a blunt at a party since. Injury issues but also poor QB play in BAL. he did well as another option in KC. Could be a good buy low and he's a vet at this point

Russel Gage: Forgotten guy in ATL with Ridley the past few yrs. Depending what happens with Calvin Ridley and Matt Ryan ATL has cap issues. Might just let some of their guys they wished to keep go do to cap issues. Good #2 and can work the slot.  He's shown in the past he has big play ability

Will Fuller: Local Philly guy would be a homecoming. Availability issues for sure with injuries and a PED suspension but he can blow the top off of defenses. I could see him coming in for cheap and them signing another guy too with a move like this

Marquez Valdes-Scantling: One of Rodgers favorites MVS. Inconsistent but has shown explosive big plays. Comes with a winning pedigree from GB. 

Christian Kirk: Don't need to say much here. Big play guy maybe out of our price range

need2know said:
It's one of many tough decisions we gotta make.   Hell I would be ok them signing one and drafting another.   Buy yeah if we sign one I hope they don't overpay
And would they be wasted here? Is there a sense in giving Adams or Robinson or Godwin huge money when they won’t get the volume anyway? I feel like if we let the first wave go by we can get a Gallup, Juju or Odell on a team friendly 1-2 year deal and not break the bank. There looks to be a LOT of decent WR’s on the market this year  

I’d rather spend that same money on a Chandler Jones, Ogbab or Randy Gregory for a DE or Campbell at LBer even though I don’t think he’ll be expensive but he was a 3 down LBer this year. 

IHEARTFF said:
Any chance they use 2 of the 1s to move into the top 5 and get a monster pass rusher or something similar from a team with not many picks? 

Hope not and I don't see them doing it unless they have other draft capital line up in a move. I'd like to see them use the 1st 2 picks and try and move the 3rd one to accumulate more and see if they can get a 1st for 23' in case we need it on assets for a QB in that draft 

Terpman22 said:

He's going to be surprised when he realizes the rest of the league most fans feel the same way about his team. Joey Bosa tweeted a pic out with the 49ers saying America's team which I thought was pretty funny. 

And would they be wasted here? Is there a sense in giving Adams or Robinson or Godwin huge money when they won’t get the volume anyway? I feel like if we let the first wave go by we can get a Gallup, Juju or Odell on a team friendly 1-2 year deal and not break the bank. There looks to be a LOT of decent WR’s on the market this year  

I’d rather spend that same money on a Chandler Jones, Ogbab or Randy Gregory for a DE or Campbell at LBer even though I don’t think he’ll be expensive but he was a 3 down LBer this year. 
I'm good on the low character/problem childs like OBJ and especially Randy Gregory. He's just another Derek Barnett that rushes the QB better, personally. 

Christian Kirk is someone I'd like to take a look at. Although not the big body I'm looking for, I"d settle on him if we strike out on ARob.

I'm all in on signing Godwin, but it needs to be a multi year deal for me. I'm not sure I want any othe vets that are 28+ in age other than Arob honestly. I'd like to take a closer look and try to sign some of the younger guys. 

IHEARTFF said:
I think the odds are more likely we trade down, or into the 2023 draft, with one or two of those picks than trade up. They will be looking to grow our picks/draft capital, not consolidate it. 

I'm good on the low character/problem childs like OBJ and especially Randy Gregory. He's just another Derek Barnett that rushes the QB better, personally. 

Christian Kirk is someone I'd like to take a look at. Although not the big body I'm looking for, I"d settle on him if we strike out on ARob.

I'm all in on signing Godwin, but it needs to be a multi year deal for me. I'm not sure I want any othe vets that are 28+ in age other than Arob honestly. I'd like to take a closer look and try to sign some of the younger guys. 
I can deal with a “Barnett that can rush the QB better”. 

The deals ARob and Godwin will get will be like Golladay last year id assume and that was 4 years 72 million with 40 guaranteed. I just don’t think that’s wise with the way this offense is constructed. We have WR’s open, we just don’t hit them. 

I also don’t know if Kirk is going to provide that veteran presence we need. 

I know this isn’t a top QB class but there are always great ones that don’t come out as the top pick like Mahomes and Allen(I think?), who do we like if 1 of our 3 firsts goes to a QB? Ive seen Howell all over the board, maybe grab one like him without giving up the other 1st’s?  

I know this isn’t a top QB class but there are always great ones that don’t come out as the top pick like Mahomes and Allen(I think?), who do we like if 1 of our 3 firsts goes to a QB? Ive seen Howell all over the board, maybe grab one like him without giving up the other 1st’s?  
I don’t want any of the running style of QB’s. I’d be ok taking Pickett, Ridder or Strong. 

I don’t want any of the running style of QB’s. I’d be ok taking Pickett, Ridder or Strong. 
Where is Strong coming out of? Ridder at this time seems like he could be around, Pickett seems to be the one rising too early. I don’t watch a lot of college so thanks for the insight. 

Give me Ridder or Howell. I've grown more into Ridder as the season has gone on. Would've like Pickett but he played his way into the top 10 

I know we need better QB play.

Can Hurts improve? I don't know. I imagine the coaches have a good sense of it. If they think there's a chance, then sure, lets get him another year in the system, another training camp and offseason and see. If they feel like there isn't - then they need to bring in someone else to compete. I don't think anyone at all is "sold" on him.  We know he needs to improve, but just watching the games as a fan, we don't really get a good sense - we don't know what they are covering in practice, in film, what they are telling him, etc.. 
The issue - with his arm strength, his margin for error is less. No, DJax is wrong, you can succeed in the NFL with his arm strength. But you CAN'T if you also don't have great anticipation and reading the defense.  He doesn't have the strength to rifle the pass in there if he's late on a read, so he HAS to improve and be great at the touch and anticipation.

And it is EXTREMELY rare that they improve on the bolded at this level.  

Is it? I know I've read that if a QB is going to improve, he usually will by his second year starting (which gives the question if we count Hurts' odd 2020 or not - I'm inclined to not). I'm not sure how a QB with more time to develop chemistry and a grasp of the offense can't improve here. (He might not...but especially if it was never a point of emphasis in college, seems like it's certain possible).
Regardless, if the Eagles DO trot him out next year and there isn't improvement, we know we need to move on.

No you wouldn’t 

It’s ok to admit

Dallas

lives rent free in your heads
Sure, if discussing a division rival means you "live rent free in our heads" and that is some kind of diss or attempted burn to help you deal with your repeated playoff collapses, then sure.... we'll lend you our thread so you can keep coming in to say how much we care about your team.

I know this isn’t a top QB class but there are always great ones that don’t come out as the top pick like

Mahomes

and

Allen

(I think?), who do we like if 1 of our 3 firsts goes to a QB? Ive seen

Howell

all over the board, maybe grab one like him without giving up the other 1st’s?  
What???   Mahomes and Allen both were top 10 picks.

Is it? I know I've read that if a QB is going to improve, he usually will by his second year starting (which gives the question if we count Hurts' odd 2020 or not - I'm inclined to not). I'm not sure how a QB with more time to develop chemistry and a grasp of the offense can't improve here. (He might not...but especially if it was never a point of emphasis in college, seems like it's certain possible).
Regardless, if the Eagles DO trot him out next year and there isn't improvement, we know we need to move on.

To put it in baseball terms its like changing a pitchers pitching motion in year 5 of him in the big leagues and he's maybe 27-28 yrs old and probably was pitching the motion he has now since before HS with tweaks. This is stuff he had to have learned at the college level better not the NFL. You'll have the rare guy who does it and the exception to the rule (People like the accuracy thing with Josh Allen but he's an exception to the rule there). Need is right he's very limited there and probably will never get better at it. 

Kind of disappointed that Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this and was perplexed why Eagles fans didn't like this trade Scenario. Pretty simple we aren't a Russ Wilson from competing and we're trading the farm. Also IMHO any trade for a new QB I would think Hurts has to be packaged in the deal in some way. Russ isn't worth 3 1sts either being 34 next year and coming off his worst season ever. Sorry I like Russ as a person but this team isn't A Russ Wilson or Aaron Rodgers away from competing for a SB. I'll like the tweet since theres a Poll with options Eagles, Seahawks or Fair Trade. Most have said Eagles say no though 

@MoveTheSticks

Fun trade discussion:

Eagles get Russell Wilson

Seahawks get Eagles 3 first round picks this year & next year's 2nd round pick

Which team says no?

hypothetical Eagles/Seahawks trade

Sad but true.   Hurts is just not on that level and never will be.  Not the end all but he's limited.   And will be forever 
Unfortunately this is likely to be correct. As Aikman said in the broadcast Hurts needs to see it before he commits to the throw. That’s too late in the NFL

Kind of disappointed that Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this and was perplexed why Eagles fans didn't like this trade Scenario. Pretty simple we aren't a Russ Wilson from competing and we're trading the farm. Also IMHO any trade for a new QB I would think Hurts has to be packaged in the deal in some way. Russ isn't worth 3 1sts either being 34 next year and coming off his worst season ever. Sorry I like Russ as a person but this team isn't A Russ Wilson or Aaron Rodgers away from competing for a SB. I'll like the tweet since theres a Poll with options Eagles, Seahawks or Fair Trade. Most have said Eagles say no though 

@MoveTheSticks

Fun trade discussion:

Eagles get Russell Wilson

Seahawks get Eagles 3 first round picks this year & next year's 2nd round pick

Which team says no?

hypothetical Eagles/Seahawks trade
Terrible trade

Users who are viewing this thread