What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carmelo Anthony officially retires. What a great, polarizing player. Equally fun and frustrating player to watch.
Interesting note I just saw on the twitters:

Nuggets drafted Jamal Murray with one of the picks/swaps they got from the Knicks in the Melo deal.

It seems to be a pattern that trading for a superstar just doesn't work especially long term.

Pistons trade for Blake Griffin. I believe the pick sent became SGA.

Clippers trade for Paul George and send SGA and a ton of picks.

Brooklyn sign and trade for Durant. Warriors turn that into a high pick, Wiggins and another title.

Obviously there are ones that work, like Butler to the Heat... but it feels like trading for a star doesn't work.

Carmelo Anthony officially retires. What a great, polarizing player. Equally fun and frustrating player to watch.

Nuggets drafted Jamal Murray with one of the picks/swaps they got from the Knicks in the Melo deal.

It seems to be a pattern that trading for a superstar just doesn't work especially long term.

Brooklyn sign and trade for Durant. Warriors turn that into a high pick, Wiggins and another title.

Obviously there are ones that work, like Butler to the Heat... but it feels like trading for a star doesn't work.
I think there are some big success stories too, in addition to Miami/Butler. Jrue Holiday put the Bucks over the top in 2021 -- even though he may not be considered a high-end "star," Milwaukee gave up a star-like package for him (3 1sts, 2 swaps, Hill & Bledsoe). LA traded the farm for Anthony Davis which got them a title in 2020. And the Raptors won a ring in 2019 after going all-in for a Kawhi rental. There's a ton of risk with these deals, but they've definitely gotten teams to the promised land before.

Last edited:

I am sure there are examples both ways. Rodman got traded to CHI and won. Shaq got shipped to MIA and won. BOS traded for KG and Allen and won. TOR traded for Kawhi and won. Only one team can win each year, so there will be fewer trades that yield championships than those that didn't.

Last edited:

I think there are some big success stories too, in addition to Miami/Butler. Jrue Holiday put the Bucks over the top in 2021, and even though he may not be considered a high-end "star," Milwaukee gave up a star-like package for him (3 1sts, 2 swaps, Hill & Bledsoe). LA traded the farm for Anthony Davis which got them a title in 2020. And the Raptors won a ring in 2019 after going all-in for a Kawhi rental. There's a ton of risk with these deals, but they've definitely gotten teams to the promised land before.

Yeah. I was unclear and it was high end stars or at least guys viewed that way.

The Nuggets got the Knicks' 2014 1st rounder in the Melo deal, and two seconds from the Warriors.

Murray was selected 7th overall in the 2016 draft.

Just another reason not to believe the Twitterverse.

The Nuggets got the Knicks' 2014 1st rounder in the Melo deal, and two seconds from the Warriors.

DEN also got a 2016 pick swap . . . which they used on Murray.

I still think losing Tyler Herro was a plus for the Heat. For sure defensively.
"Losing Herro will hurt the Heat more than losing Giannis will hurt the Bucks."
~ Reggie Miller during round 1

Given all that, what else can the Celtics do other than switch coaches?
Move Jaylen Brown? He and Tatum have formed a great duo, but they're slightly duplicative, the Celtics could get an absolute haul for him, and he seemed agitated with the Celtics (Boston?) at times the last few years. Maybe it's nothing, but if there's anything behind the scenes, this offseason is the time to get a deal done.

Nitpick - He also can't really dribble that well and has a poor assist/turnover ratio - which isn't ideal for their style of offense.

You and @Yo Mama are correct. I glossed over the "swap" mention. Thanks. Carry on.

Move Jaylen Brown? He and Tatum have formed a great duo, but they're slightly duplicative, the Celtics could get an absolute haul for him, and he seemed agitated with the Celtics (Boston?) at times the last few years. Maybe it's nothing, but if there's anything behind the scenes, this offseason is the time to get a deal done.

Nitpick - He also can't really dribble that well and has a poor assist/turnover ratio - which isn't ideal for their style of offense.
Trading Brown is going to end up being problematic. Boston has no choice but to give him (and Tatum) each Supermax contracts, and IIRC, they couldn't trade either of them this year. If they don't extend Brown with a Supermax, then they risk losing him for nothing. Not really sure what would happen if they just opt to trade him and not give him the Supermax (other than Brown getting really peeved). If they do give Brown a Supermax, I believe they couldn't trade him until after the first year on the new contract, meaning they would have to keep him for two seasons before they could trade him (if I understood what the media reports explained).

You and @Yo Mama are correct. I glossed over the "swap" mention. Thanks. Carry on.
The first couple of articles I found after googling the trade didn't even mention the swap as part of the trade, oddly enough.

You and are correct. I glossed over the "swap" mention. Thanks. Carry on.
The first couple of articles I found after googling the trade didn't even mention the swap as part of the trade, oddly enough.
What's funny is that the Nuggets' first round pick in 2014 (presumably from the Knicks trade) was the mighty Doug McDermott from Creighton.

Second rounder was...the Joker.

What's funny is that the Nuggets' first round pick in 2014 (presumably from the Knicks trade) was the mighty Doug McDermott from Creighton.

If I'm reading this right, the pick the Nuggets got in that trade was re-routed to Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade that netted Denver Iguodola, and then the Sixers subsequently traded for it (the pick being Saric). But the whole thing seems very confusing.

If I'm reading this right, the pick the Nuggets got in that trade was re-routed to Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade that netted Denver Iguodola, and then the Sixers subsequently traded for it (the pick being Saric). But the whole thing seems very confusing.
I saw a summary on The Athletic that consolidated it down to: The deal sent Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter and Shelden Williams to New York; and Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, two second-round picks, New York’s 2014 first-round pick and the swap rights to the Knicks’ 2016 first-round pick went to Denver. Minnesota was also a part of the deal, sending Corey Brewer to New York and Kosta Koufos to Denver and serving as a contract dumping ground.

Pat Riley is one win away from his 19th appearance in an NBA Finals as a player, coach or executive. Nineteen! That will mean Riley has either played in, coached in or been his team's top decision maker in 24.7 percent of ALL THE FINALS in NBA history!

He is the God.
Joined the Heat in 95 and they have only missed the playoffs six times sense. Basically, constantly competitive.

Pat Riley is one win away from his 19th appearance in an NBA Finals as a player, coach or executive. Nineteen! That will mean Riley has either played in, coached in or been his team's top decision maker in 24.7 percent of ALL THE FINALS in NBA history!

He is the God.
Joined the Heat in 95 and they have only missed the playoffs six times sense. Basically, constantly competitive.
They have lost in the first round 9 times though

Agreed. I think in general there's a too much hindsight applied in analyzing some of these deals. As if any one component was a silver bullet, when it's really just a huge shotgun approach.

As good as the Nuggets did ultimately getting Jamal, they also drafted Rudy Gobert in 2013.

So if Utah hits on some future HoFer with their haul of 1st rounders from the T-Wolves, then ultimately it can be traced back to Denver trading Gobert five minutes after selecting him for some dude named Erick Green and some cash.

Has a franchise ever fired the Head Coach before a Series was officially over?
There was real chatter about what a bold move it would be to release Mazz prior to the game just to see the impact on the players.

There was real chatter about what a bold move it would be to release Mazz prior to the game just to see the impact on the players.
Listening to Boston sports radio as we speak. They suggest benching the starters and playing the backups to start the game. Essentially, play the guys that are trying and sit the high paid prima-donnas. If the game is close, then they can decide who they put in. The point would be to embarrass the mainstays to try to better motivate them.

Listening to Boston sports radio as we speak. They suggest benching the starters and playing the backups to start the game. Essentially, play the guys that are trying and sit the high paid prima-donnas. If the game is close, then they can decide who they put in. The point would be to embarrass the mainstays to try to better motivate them.

Reminder: most sports radio callers are total morons

This is a horrible idea. Because if they lose, which is a strong possibility regardless of which strategy they go with to start the game, you're going to have your players stewing over this strategy all offseason. You're an ECF team and while you may be disappointed in this series, you risk turning your entire team against you for NEXT season by going this route.

Not the callers. The hosts. They've already determined Mazzulla is getting fired, and the team needs to wake up the players. What better way than to have them sitting on the bench in the ECF. Also noteworthy from the time I was listening is apparently the owner of the team told Mazzulla he had to bench the starters to start the 4th quarter last night. Other Boston media folks said the players were seen complaining to Mazzulla and the rest of the coaches throughout Game 3. There seems to be a disconnect between the coaching staff and the players.

I quit tuning into sports talk programs that take callers. That is the worst thing in the world about sports talk and there's a lot of dumb there. Reading the funny texts on occasion works way better, but those need to be clever.

This is a horrible idea. Because if they lose, which is a strong possibility regardless of which strategy they go with to start the game, you're going to have your players stewing over this strategy all offseason. You're an ECF team and while you may be disappointed in this series, you risk turning your entire team against you for NEXT season by going this route.
Which is worse . . . losing by not playing key guys for a few minutes . . . or losing normally and getting berated by Heat players during and after the game. The Heat players have apparently been talking smack during the game to both Boston players and coaches. I'm no sports psychologist, but if they play the regulars, they give no effort again, and they lose by 30, the entire team will have a loser's mentality and sense of doubt the entire offseason anyway. I am not endorsing the plan of benching the starters, but something needs to light a fire under the team. They collectively looked like they would rather be on vacation.

Which is worse . . . losing by not playing key guys for a few minutes . . . or losing normally and getting berated by Heat players during and after the game. The Heat players have apparently been talking smack during the game to both Boston players and coaches. I'm no sports psychologist, but if they play the regulars, they give no effort again, and they lose by 30, the entire team will have a loser's mentality and sense of doubt the entire offseason anyway. I am not endorsing the plan of benching the starters, but something needs to light a fire under the team. They collectively looked like they would rather be on vacation.

This reads like a plot for an episode of Mighty Ducks on Disney. There aren't real people involved with professional basketball that think this way, right?

Well, the question is WHY they look that way. If it's the coach that attitude probably trickles down to the rest of the roster so you gain nothing by benching your studs but risk alienating them. Someone asked earlier if it was the coaches fault if the players come out lethargic. IMO the answer in a lot of cases is yes. If it's one player maybe not but when the whole team plays like they don't care? It's the coaches job to have them ready to play. Someone has been posting links to the Nuggets locker room videos. Those show a TEAM, connected, top to bottom, players to coaches. And that culture starts from the top, not the bottom.

The smart thing for Boston to do is just keep playing. As a Heat fan the Boston team we played last night doesn't scare me, but a Psd Off Boston team could win 4 straight if the Heat take their foot off the gas. They had double digit leads in game one and two before Jimmy took over.

As for their coach: Look, one of the reasons Miami and San Antonio are looked at as Model franchises is because they don't jettison their coach after a bad season. Childress is running the show in Boston and he should have his coach's back no matter what happens here. The guy is 34 years old and is getting his butt handed to him by Spo. Well, that also happenned to two very good coaches who have been in the league for a while. You take your lumps and grow from them.

As for the players in Boston: well, I have not followed them any more than when they have played Miami, but Tatum, williams, and williams are likely the only guys who I could see in a Heat uniform. Jalen Brown is a decent player and maybe he is having a wrist issue or something but he cannot shoot at the moment. Horford is Udonis Haslem but 6 years younger and the white guys all look like rec team players.

Seems like a weird and bad idea imo. Strategically—it also doesn‘t make sense. If the premise is that massive embarrassment is somehow the breeding ground for motivation—-then the Celtics should play all of their starters for 48 minutes in game 4 after what happened in game 3.

Well, the question is WHY they look that way. If it's the coach that attitude probably trickles down to the rest of the roster so you gain nothing by benching your studs but risk alienating them. Someone asked earlier if it was the coaches fault if the players come out lethargic. IMO the answer in a lot of cases is yes. If it's one player maybe not but when the whole team plays like they don't care? It's the coaches job to have them ready to play. Someone has been posting links to the Nuggets locker room videos. Those show a TEAM, connected, top to bottom, players to coaches. And that culture starts from the top, not the bottom.
I am not sure why Boston came out flat last night. It may simply be an intensity thing. Miami's two 10+ point comebacks have to put a sense into anyone that "here we go" and the refs gave the Heat a lot of Home cooking whistles to start the game and it may simply have taken the air out of Boston. A team needs to have the "will" to win in spite of what the situation is. Lebron with Miami just steamrolled Boston when it was do or Die. Wade vs. Dallas in 06 was the same ("I'm not going out like this" was what he said before the heat went nuts). Jimmy, Steph, Kwahi, Kobe (RIP), MJ, Bird, AI etc just said F' it I'm taking over.

Coaching definitely helps on the defensive side of the ball and I will basically say that is where the celtics are losing this series. Miami is just being better defensively than Boston.

The whole benching and yelling at players is a dumb idea in any sport. You can get away with it once in a great while and you usually have to be a well respect coach to get away with it. Otherwise the players just tune out the coach and the coach gets fired.

Seems like a weird and bad idea imo. Strategically—it also doesn‘t make sense. If the premise is that massive embarrassment is somehow the breeding ground for motivation—-then the Celtics should play all of their starters for 48 minutes in game 4 after what happened in game 3.
I can't relate to the mindset of "giving up." I am very competitive, and back in the day, I played to win . . . whether it be a pickup game at the gym, a game of horse with my kids, or a race across the street with an 85-year-old granny with a walker. I've stayed in games with broken bones, bloodied and battered, and literally had games where the officials had to throw me out for personal safety reasons.

If I were on the Celtics, Heat players would not have gotten into the paint and to the basket so easily. They might have gotten there eventually, but they would be black and blue. No way in a game like last night would I not have used my full allotment of fouls. In my case, losing pissed me off and I only tried harder . . . not less (or not at all). I would never go down without a fight . . . I don't care if my team was down 50 points.

The whole benching and yelling at players is a dumb idea in any sport. You can get away with it once in a great while and you usually have to be a well respect coach to get away with it. Otherwise the players just tune out the coach and the coach gets fired.
I can get fans wanting the coach to do something, even if that something is dumb. Frustrating to appear to try nothing.

I can get fans wanting the coach to do something, even if that something is dumb. Frustrating to appear to try nothing.

We have established this though, fans are stupid. They have no idea we what happens in a huddle, or team meetings or film sessions.

They look at players and coaches and because they don't react to the situation the way fans want, so obviously they must not be trying.

The only chance the Celtics have at dignity is to play their starters, have them show some heart, and win not just one but at least the next two games.

The only chance the Celtics have at dignity is to play their starters, have them show some heart, and win not just one but at least the next two games.
Miami is 6-0 at home. I think they end it tomorrow.

The one thing I was going to ask people about was the concept of only playing 7 or 8 guys in the playoffs. Boston did really well during the regular season playing 10-12 guys. Typically, their bench guys were better than the other team's bench guys, and they had a big advantage there. That also gave the starters more down time and rest. In the playoffs, the starters haven't played as well and seem drained and fatigued (besides the effort and intensity issues). IMO, they might have benefited by having some of the other guys play some more minutes while letting the mainstays get a longer in-game break. But it doesn't seem like teams go in that direction and almost every team goes with the 7- to 8-man rotation and use other guys only in emergency.

Miami is 6-0 at home. I think they end it tomorrow.

I believe Miami ends it tomorrow as well, but I never really cared who won this series, so selfishly I would love to see the Celtics comeback and take this to 7.

The one thing I was going to ask people about was the concept of only playing 7 or 8 guys in the playoffs. Boston did really well during the regular season playing 10-12 guys. Typically, their bench guys were better than the other team's bench guys, and they had a big advantage there. That also gave the starters more down time and rest. In the playoffs, the starters haven't played as well and seem drained and fatigued (besides the effort and intensity issues). IMO, they might have benefited by having some of the other guys play some more minutes while letting the mainstays get a longer in-game break. But it doesn't seem like teams go in that direction and almost every team goes with the 7- to 8-man rotation and use other guys only in emergency.

It really depends on the team. Golden State won a title last year going 10 deep. The Pistons back in the 2000's won a title and had great success doing it as well.

I don't think it would help the Celtics. Horford and Williams have to split minutes. I also don't think you could have White or Brogdan play big minutes.

that was me, and I would agree, but hasn't Boston had this problem with multiple coaches?

that was me, and I would agree, but hasn't Boston had this problem with multiple coaches?
They might have. I don't watch that much NBA anymore, and when I do it's mainly west coast. In particular, I'm a huge Nuggets and Jokic fan, partially because I live in Denver, but mainly because they play basketball the right way. I hate the isolation heavy offense so many teams play. I like free flowing, passing, make the right play type of basketball that teams like the Warriors and Nuggets play. It hearkens back to the Showtime Lakers and Larry Bird Celtics teams of he 80's.

The Celtics might have a player probem. But I've never seen a team quit in game THREE of a seven game series before. If the Lakers quit tonight it will be somewhat understandable, but Magic was tweeting his disgust at the Celtics quitting last night. To me that's a larger problem than just the players.

You are right with the rotation shorting, but it's Tatum. He wants to be the man, and he's a great shooter, but he's a horrible facilitator and playmaker. Jamal Murray is a bit selfish and is a comparable shooter to Tatum. The difference is, when Murray is ice cold, he can drive and pass or run pick and rolls. Tatum has no offense besides shooting, and I have had enough of that step back travel bs. Murray and Tatum are both streaky shooters, but Tatum is useless when he isn't hit shooting. I really miss going to battle with the King of the 4th. Man, those were fun times.

Last edited:
The NBA has a major problem if both WCF and ECF are wrapped up by tomorrow night as there would be a 9 day delay before Game1 of the Finals, that not good for ratings.
Don't be shocked if somehow the Lakers and Celtics manage to extend these series even if the refs gift wrap 1 or 2 of them

:whistle:

Hope I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread