What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no one on buston is even moving to try and rebound when they shoot wtheck take that to the bank brochachos

Wow Magic-

Earvin Magic Johnson​

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson
@MagicJohnson

In my 44 years of being associated with the NBA I never thought I’d see a Boston Celtics team, a franchise with 17 Championships, quit. I know Celtics fans all over the world must be disgusted and devastated. The Miami Heat blew them out 128-102 in Game 3.

Kenny Smith made an interesting point after the game. He said the entire feel of the game was like a game 4 when the team down three was done, but that this almost never happens in game three which is typically a dogfight.

It's not over. How many times has a blowout win been followed by a loss? Like the game 7 blowout win by the Celtics over PHI followed by 3 straight losses. Like happened often in the Laker-Celtics series back in the day. Complacency? Not sure, but games 1 & 2 were 50-50 and no way the Heat keeps shooting 3s like they did in game 3.

It's not over. How many times has a blowout win been followed by a loss? Like the game 7 blowout win by the Celtics over PHI followed by 3 straight losses. Like happened often in the Laker-Celtics series back in the day. Complacency? Not sure, but games 1 & 2 were 50-50 and no way the Heat keeps shooting 3s like they did in game 3.

Yeah - you never know what can happen. Butler rolls an ankle early in game 4 and can’t play the rest of the series and it could change quickly. But, with the way the Celtics rolled over last night it seems like there’s an issue with the players and each other or the coach or both.

How bad are the Sixers that they couldn't close out this team?

When one is a fan of an underdog team, it is fun to create scenarios in your mind to help your team advance.

Being at home, on game 6, with the opponent reeling, in a close out game and the best player on the other team starts the game 0-14 is a scenario that almost seems tailored made for a fan.

Boston sports media was relentless and in unison last night that Joe can’t come back next year. That would give the C’s their 4th coach in 4 years. I just don’t get it. They have a talented team, yet play like they don’t care whether they win or lose. It’s almost like the Jays made their All NBA teams to get their Supermax contracts and are coasting with the knowledge of their pending $613 million.

I was shocked the game was so lopsided and settled so early on.
Boston didn't seem like they wanted to be there, humiliating to not even take the floor in the 4th for Tatum and Brown
Has Tatum made a single bucket in the 4th Q of 3 straight Playoff games? I don't think he scored in the 1st, free throws the last 90 seconds in Game 2 but no shots.

We haven't discussed how much of an underdog (rightfully so) Miami is likely to be vs the Denver Nuggets who might let it go 5 but they are on fire and have been most of the season.
Boston played this bad in early to mid 2022 if you recall, think they were 18-21 at one point? They have reverted back to who they were prior.

Coach Spo is entering rare air for an NBA head coach, can't imagine ever being the head coach for another team anywhere in the NBA, he always admired Pop and he emulates in the East what Pop does typically in the West when he has some players, guess a really good one is about to fall in Pop's lap.

Last edited:
i believe that is called the dead cat bounce take that to the bank brohans

i wouldnt write a euology for boston this series is over based on history but sometimes a team like the heat just get hot and make a run it doesnt mean other teams are horrible or need to be blown up it just means that right now at this point in the season the heat are rolling the year before the bucks won thier title they lost in the playoffs to the heat and the year they won it they swept the heat i would not lose heart if i was boston just chalk it up to it not being your year get a few more pieces stop making jimmy buckets mad and come back stronger next year take that to the bank bromigos

Boston sports media was relentless and in unison last night that Joe can’t come back next year. That would give the C’s their 4th coach in 4 years. I just don’t get it. They have a talented team, yet play like they don’t care whether they win or lose. It’s almost like the Jays made their All NBA teams to get their Supermax contracts and are coasting with the knowledge of their pending $613 million.

-This is a me thing but I don't care for mixing the analysis of play with the money they earn. Those contracts are set up by the NBA, Owners, TV deals, the players are just working within the system that is set for them by the NBA. Furthermore, the 2 names you mention earn their keep. I can show you hundreds of contracts in the NBA over the years where players were stealing money. I don't think it's fair to use a lump sum total of several years between 2 players and try and make a connection like they are locked in for big money and don't have to do anything.

All the NBA players are pretty much locked in for big dollars and there isn't a lot of money motivating factors to push them to be better. Many just get re-signed or extended and most of the time their Playoff returns are not factored into the equation as much. Jimmy Butler is a max contract type player and there are lots of them in the NBA, yet Jimmy Butler at this moment in time seems to show there is a clear difference in what he fills a max contract with in terms of play on the court and leadership on and off the court vs what we see from other players.

I'm not naive to what you are inserting into the discussion, i just think we should avoid contract talks if I'm Boston and focus on leadership, where is it going to to come from? Do they need to overhaul the middle and bottom of the roster and look for leadership that can be brought in to help the superstars? Tatum looks silly in this Series but he's a damn good player and I would want to build around him in Boston, he's still young and has loads of Playoff experience. $300M you say? That's a steal ;)

Last edited:
have to agree with you here. Coach can shoulder some blame for sure, but just saying to get rid of him is no guarantee you get something better coming back in. and i remember when they switched coaches in the past, before Ime the call was that they needed a coach with a closer culture to the players, and after Ime they needed a coach who understood them. I don't know if they need to just tune out player thoughts on what coach to bring in or what, but i doubt changing coaches will magically fix the ills with this team.

Considering how the Celtics were the healthiest team coming into the playoffs, and the effort in this game 3, you have to think if Boston wants to have a chance in the future they need to really look at the root of this team and players.

A better coach makes this series maybe 1-2. Coach is easiest to blame so most just do that, but it won't fix anything. Players are protected and media is scared to call them to task in some markets

Someone needs to call in a welfare check on Bill Simmons

Gotta give the big homer credit; he's a trooper.

Very fair, cold analysis of the trainwreck
lol just looked at "similar threads" below and here is @Capella's title thread from a year ago:

"2021-22 NBA Thread: Bill Simmons furiously recording 2.5 hour long pod about how Boston is still better than Golden State -- ***3 dy Aaron Rudnicki lo"

The Heat are just playing some really great basketball. It just goes to show that playing with chemistry, connectivity, and purpose is the recipe for overcoming being on the wrong side of a talent gap against your opponent. The thing that is surprising me about this Miami team is that they are playing with chemistry, connectivity and purpose throughout these playoffs. Often times—teams can just play this way for a game or two before they kinda start feeling themselves or start getting overconfident—-but the Heat have just played consistently hard and well for the duration of the playoffs.

One thing that I thought was exceptional about how efficient the Heat played yesterday was this. Last night—the Celtics out rebounded the Heat by a huge margin 57-35. The Celtics had 21 offensive rebounds compared to 1 by the Heat. The Celtics had 17 more field goal attempts than the Heat last night—but still managed to lose by 26 points. Props to the Heat and congrats to Heat fans. What a run.

The announcers really hammered Bostons lack of heart and energy last night. Played with zero sense of urgency. Horford was trying to pump the guys up but they looked disinterested. Tatum looked like he did not want to be there.

Rare to hear that over and over again on a broadcast.

The announcers really hammered Bostons lack of heart and energy last night. Played with zero sense of urgency. Horford was trying to pump the guys up but they looked disinterested. Tatum looked like he did not want to be there.

they also mentioned that miami has a number of undrafted players once or twice take that to the bank bromigos

it's the coaches fault that the players quit half way through the first quarter?

they also mentioned that miami has a number of undrafted players once or twice take that to the bank bromigos

At least 5-6 times.

Also Boston made Duncan Robinson look like Pistol Pete.

it's the coaches fault that the players quit half way through the first quarter?
BOS has been a very competitive team since Tatum got there. Here are the Top 10 teams in total wins since that time (6 regular seasons and playoffs combined . . . play in games excluded):

01 - MIL (357)
02 - BOS (335)
03 - PHI (332)
04 - DEN (326)
05 - GSW (318)
06 - TOR (315)
07 - MIA (301)
08 - UTA (297)
09 - LAC (292)
10 - LAL (268)

The rankings won't change with a few more games still left to play this post season.

Boston lost its way over time with Stevens as head coach. They initially didn't play well under Ime, but they caught fire the second part of the season (but then fizzled against GSW). They started strong with Mazzulla, but they've had a ton of mental lapses and blown big leads. They've have had multiple games where they didn't play much defense and seemed indifferent on offense. For every big game by one of the Jays comes one or two where they disappear.

While it isn't the coaches fault the team quit halfway into the first quarter, having the team disengaged and playing with no intensity indicates there is a problem. Mazzulla basically admitted after the game that he's lost the team, and they aren't responding to coaching or what he is telling them. Even though that may not be the coach's fault, it is a huge problem when the team ignores him, they have no chemistry, and they seem like they are giving 60% effort.

Given all that, what else can the Celtics do other than switch coaches? I suppose they could change the mix of players, but as I just indicated, they are a winning team that just struggles at the end of games (and end of seasons). I don't think its a talent issue . . . there issues are mental. They have guys that can play well together . . . but they falter at the worst possible times.

It would also mean the Heat's EC playoff run got all three opposing coaches fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread