What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the whole 4 star or 5 star rating with a grain of salt. Players can move up the rankings because of their name, or what school they commit too.

I also have never seen him play so.
Nah. Star rankings are by far the best indicator of how good a player will be, by a substantial margin. This isn’t 1996 anymore.

big difference in these two series the lakers played hard and lost honorably the celtics have whined and cheapshotted guys im looking at you marcus dumb and given up and lost like chumps take that to the bank brohans
Yea that had to be the most competitive sweep I’ve ever seen lol. Weird thing to say. Lakers could have won every game. Nuggets were just better on offense.

big difference in these two series the lakers played hard and lost honorably the celtics have whined and cheapshotted guys im looking at you marcus dumb and given up and lost like chumps take that to the bank brohans
Yea that had to be the most competitive sweep I’ve ever seen lol. Weird thing to say. Lakers could have won every game. Nuggets were just better on offense.
To me it seemed that the Lakers played like the #2 team in the whole playoffs and got beat by the #1.

I think this had a lot to do with Lebron at least thinking retirement. He just threw everything he had at a team and got swept. Put up 28/9/10 with a good team and went 0-4, and he played all 48 minutes that night and now has to deal with a bunch of idiot reporters. That's probably a pretty big "F all this I'm going to go live on a beach somewhere" moment.

I pretty much agree with this. I refrained from posting last night because I didn’t want to be a prisoner of the moment. Let’s not forget that the Lakers battled massive injuries this year, they basically made some deals at the deadline that brought some talent and depth to the team—but they didn’t really have much time together. They finished the year strong and made a nice playoff push—but let’s call a spade a spade. Denver is not only really talented—but they have been together all year. They were easily the best team in the West and that’s with them coasting the last several games of the season. I picked the Nuggets to win the series—but thought that an even ”thrown together” Lakers team might take a game or two. Instead, they played them really tough for 4 games.

I agree with SWC in regards to comparing what the Lakers did against the Nuggets versus what the Celtics have done to this point against the Heat so far. The Lakers showed fight and heart in each of the 4 games against a superior opponent. The Celtics have so far shown a complete lack of heart, or fight against an inferior opponent that is missing key players (Herro and Oladipo). People can trash the Lakers all they want—but if the same team that lost last night comes back next season—and manages to stay relatively healthy— you’re not looking at a team that barely makes the play-in tournament. Reeves and Hachimura are decent players. D’Angelo is a streaky player that has the ability to go for 25-30 on any given night. Lonnie Walker and Schroeder are not bad 2nd and 3rd guards to have on a team. The Lakers just hit a juggernaut team that really turned it on. I would have liked to see them win a game and extend that series—but that was just me being selfish and wanting to see more of that matchup. I found each game to be exciting and entertaining.

With all of that said—congrats to the Nuggets and Nuggets fans. Certainly an exciting time for you. Would be kinda weird to have such a long layoff between the conference finals and the finals if the Heat win tonight. As well as the Nuggets and Heat are both playing—I hate to see a layoff of a week or more slow down either of their momentum.

Has anyone ever gone to one of these things? Seems like something I would never want to do. Pay concession prices and sit in uncomfortable seats only to just watch the jumbotron?
it's the only way that fans in the denver area can see the game

No kidding?
Wait is that still true, even for playoff games? I knew that their games weren't televised locally for a long stretch, but had kind of assumed that got resolved eventually and am surprised to hear that it would be true for playoff games as well.
The regular season is still not televised on most Denver-area cable systems, as far as I know. But I was kind of making a joke about that. I'm pretty sure that nationally televised games are available, which would include the playoff games.
DirecTV carries Altitude but Comcast (and maybe Dish) don't - there is no other major providers available even though Denver is home to Spectrum's HQ. It's ****ing bonkers that as great as the Nuggets and Avs have been, only something like 20% of the state has access to watch either regularly. Nationally televised games are all available though.

Not all. TNT/ESPN yes. But the few games that are on NBATV follow blackout rules and are not available in Denver.

To me it seemed that the Lakers played like the #2 team in the whole playoffs and got beat by the #1.
Jimmy G. Buckets just smirked at this.

People can trash the Lakers all they want—but if the same team that lost last night comes back next season—and manages to stay relatively healthy— you’re not looking at a team that barely makes the play-in tournament.
That's a lot of what if's. Be careful, you'll start to sound more like a Clippers fan than a myopic Lakers homer. 😋

AD & LeBron aren't staying healthy and productive enough over 82 games to be a top seed. Reeves is about to get big money, keeping Hachimura as well could cost the team a ton of luxury cash, Schroeder is horrible for any team's culture, Lonnie Walker is nothing but a bench gunner, etc.

The biggest problems though are:
1) LeBron can't carry a team to a title any longer as the alpha. That's not a dig, it's just the reality now.
2) AD isn't "him". He's not Batman, he's Robin (if Robin constantly fell down and got banged up a lot).
3) The only route to another LeBron/AD title with the Lakers is with a big swing that pays off. Spinning a bunch of stuff into a 3rd star and hoping to make another mid-season deal like last year to fill in around them. Even if they do, is adding Kyrie or Lillard or whoever enough?

Personally, I think the Lakers aren't going to be making the Finals again with LeBron and AD, but will be (all but) forced to ride it out for another year or two. Another year or two unlikely to go as well in the playoffs as it just did.

I am very happy with the Denver victory--I never thought I would see the day this would happen, but the mission is not accomplished yet.

I secretly hope Boston wins one or two just to keep that series going and continue to tire players down a bit.

This morning my TikTok feed is full of nothing but Kyrie Irving coming to LA videos. I am no cap expert, bit LA already has like 105 million in contracts for next year and that is not resigning Hach and Reeves--who probably both are going to garner some interest from other teams, which LA can match. I know capologists for teams can work magic, but why would a player like Irving (who is eligible for a 5 year--200 million dollar max deal) want to take a beyond massive pay cut just to play with a 40 year old Lebron? Maybe Lakers fans can tell me what I am missing there.

If Mazzulla gets fired, the Celtics will be on a 4 coaches in 4 seasons path.

Has that ever happened in the NBA to a winning/playoff level team?

I am very happy with the Denver victory--I never thought I would see the day this would happen, but the mission is not accomplished yet.

I secretly hope Boston wins one or two just to keep that series going and continue to tire players down a bit.

This morning my TikTok feed is full of nothing but Kyrie Irving coming to LA videos. I am no cap expert, bit LA already has like 105 million in contracts for next year and that is not resigning Hach and Reeves--who probably both are going to garner some interest from other teams, which LA can match. I know capologists for teams can work magic, but why would a player like Irving (who is eligible for a 5 year--200 million dollar max deal) want to take a beyond massive pay cut just to play with a 40 year old Lebron? Maybe Lakers fans can tell me what I am missing there.
The Lakers can clear $30m in space. That + a potentially soft market for him + a desire to play in LA/with Lebron makes it plausible I guess.

Not to that degree, but the 2000's Pistons ran coaches out of town a lot despite all their success. Carlisle, Brown, Flip, Curry,.and Kuester. All in a decade where they won a title and were one of the best teams in the league.

The Lakers can clear $30m in space. That + a potentially soft market for him + a desire to play in LA/with Lebron makes it plausible I guess.
I think that would cost them 2 of Reaves, Hachimura, Russell. I don't think the resulting roster would be as good as this one. Russell really fell off against the Nuggets, they should be looking for some way to upgrade there if possible (don't know how), but stripping the team down to fit Irving in seems like a losing proposition to me.

I think that would cost them 2 of Reaves, Hachimura, Russell. I don't think the resulting roster would be as good as this one. Russell really fell off against the Nuggets, they should be looking for some way to upgrade there if possible (don't know how), but stripping the team down to fit Irving in seems like a losing proposition to me.
They'd get to keep Reeves but would have let the other two go.

I doubt it.

I also doubt they fire Mazzulla. That seems really dumb unless the players hate him or something.

I do think he is lost right now, but this is literally his first head coaching job since a 2-year stint at a NCAA Division 2 school. I don't think Boston had a lot of good options after the Udoka "scandal" and fallout. I think they wanted some continuity and the players gave it the stamp of approval.

Leadership and coaching is absolutely the biggest issue in Boston right now. Not sure if they could get someone to right the ship, but Mazzulla needs at least some great assistant coaches.

I doubt it.

I also doubt they fire Mazzulla. That seems really dumb unless the players hate him or something.

I do think he is lost right now, but this is literally his first head coaching job since a 2-year stint at a NCAA Division 2 school. I don't think Boston had a lot of good options after the Udoka "scandal" and fallout. I think they wanted some continuity and the players gave it the stamp of approval.

Leadership and coaching is absolutely the biggest issue in Boston right now. Not sure if they could get someone to right the ship, but Mazzulla needs at least some great assistant coaches.
Will Hardy going to the Jazz really hurt in this respect -- that Boston coaching staff ended up losing a ton of talent from 2022 to 2023.

I doubt it.

Will Hardy going to the Jazz really hurt in this respect -- that Boston coaching staff ended up losing a ton of talent from 2022 to 2023.
Yup. Hardy was hired by the Jazz in June and Udoka was suspended in September. I'd bet if he would have known he could have the Celtics job, he would have chosen that.

The biggest problems though are:
1) LeBron can't carry a team to a title any longer as the alpha. That's not a dig, it's just the reality now.
I don’t agree with that. He just lead them to the west finals over the 2 seed and the defending champs. Joker is just the best player in the universe now. Doesn’t mean Lebron can’t carry a team as a #1.

the LAL rumors are always so funny. all i have seen for the last 1-2 hours is LAL trading for Trae Young. how in the world that would be possible, i have no idea

I saw a clip of the Nuggets arena in Denver for tonight's game: it was sold out.

That's impressive.
Has anyone ever gone to one of these things? Seems like something I would never want to do. Pay concession prices and sit in uncomfortable seats only to just watch the jumbotron?
The people who go to these don't go to watch on the jumbotron, they go to be with a ton of other like minded fans to cheer as a community I think. It is hard to replicate 20000 people cheering with you from your couch by yourself.
:shrug:

Not my jam
Tickets for Nuggets watch party were only $10. Parking free. Sold out cheering for your home team in a carnival environment. Nuggets dancers and mascots performing. One of the best entertainment values on the planet.

They were easily the best team in the West and that’s with them coasting the last several games of the season.
Nice post. I'm only highlighting the above because I'm not sure I agree.

The Nuggets were genuinely struggling in the last 15-20 games. They had all kinds of trouble figuring out their bench situation. They traded away Bones Hyland (compatibility issues with Jamal), and were forcing playing time for newly acquired Thomas Bryant and Reggie Jackson, who never worked out. Every night seemed a different combination.

It was only in the last several games that things began clicking when Malone started rolling primarily with Green, Braun, and Brown. Since then Malone has been smart enough to use them almost exclusively for the playoffs and not try to fix what isn't broken.

Last edited:
I wish LeBron would have guarded Jokic for a full game. That would have been fun to watch. Would be curious how that works out for Jokic and Denver….

I don't think Boston had a lot of good options after the Udoka "scandal" and fallout. I think they wanted some continuity and the players gave it the stamp of approval.
As noted, Will Hardy was ready and a great option, but he left Boston for his shot just before this opportunity opened up. Even with him gone, the Celtics still a good option on their bench with experience and the respect of the players - Damon Stoudamire.

If the Celtics wanted, or felt they had to promote from within due to the timing, they should have gone with Stoudamire. Maybe they'd be in the exact same spot, but he would have had a lot more support and buy in from the players than Mazzula has.

I wish LeBron would have guarded Jokic for a full game. That would have been fun to watch. Would be curious how that works out for Jokic and Denver….
We know Jokic wouldn't have been on the line much, but LeBron would have had no legs left by halftime.

...and how dare you disrespect Tristan Thompson!! 😁 and Mo Bamba? lol

Mazz called a quick timeout when Miami was up 22-15 on the Max Slam Dunk

Maybe they could hold a player's only meeting at Halftime.
Celtics did drain a 3 coming out of the timeout

Hard to believe scouts thought Zeller was a terrific #4 overall pick.
He's a nice role player, gives Bam a breather and can suck up fouls but #4 overall?
He always had a decent offensive game, but never bulked up enough to become a good defender.
The biggest turning point thus far IMHO was when Heat are up 29-20, strip or create a turnover and then Kyle Lowery turns it right back over and Boston is suddenly on the foul line.
Miami could have been up 32-20 after the 1st and perhaps opened up a lead similar to Game 3 but instead Boston comes all the way back and climbs right back into the game.

Celtics do not seem ready to fold things up yet
playing better team ball for sure. Surprised Grant Williams seems to be stepping up, and the role players are nice. Tatum doing a good job of not assuming hero ball and letting others keep them in the game, but 4 bad turnovers hurt.

and agree a bit with @msudaisy26, this series does kind of look like Brown either has a bad injury or he really doesn't want to be in Boston anymore

It was a six-point game at the half. Four minutes later it's a three-point game and the announcers are talking up the angle that the Heat are letting the Celtics "hang around."

really seems that the NBA wants this series to continue past tonight.

Celtics deciding to play defense helps as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread