What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wanted the Pistons to stay top 4 when the lottery happened because I wanted them to get Chet, Jabari, Paolo or Ivey. Sounds like the Kings aren't going to take Ivey and he will be there for us at 5. 

Also hearing rumors of Grant being dealt before the draft. 

Grant to the Blazers for the 7th pick. There was a few other small things involved with deal, but I don't remember it. I would love this move, but not sure why the Blazers would do it. 

Grant to the Hawks for Bogdanovic and the 16th pick. Hate this move because you have to pay an extra year for Bogdanovic. 

Grant to Grizzlies for pick 22, Brooks and some other salary filler. Don't like this either unless you could flip Brooks for something else. 

Anyone hearing any other cool trade rumors or free agency stuff?

I really wanted the Pistons to stay top 4 when the lottery happened because I wanted them to get Chet, Jabari, Paolo or Ivey. Sounds like the Kings aren't going to take Ivey and he will be there for us at 5. 

Grant to the Blazers for the 7th pick. There was a few other small things involved with deal, but I don't remember it. I would love this move, but not sure why the Blazers would do it. 

Grant to the Hawks for Bogdanovic and the 16th pick. Hate this move because you have to pay an extra year for Bogdanovic. 

Grant to Grizzlies for pick 22, Brooks and some other salary filler. Don't like this either unless you could flip Brooks for something else. 

The only one I would like is Grant for the #7 pick. Two top 7 picks + a FA and that team might actually take a step forward.  Ivey + the best 3 point shooter that's available.

I don’t think Ivey will slip. Thunder are thinking about him at 2 (https://twitter.com/thunderchats/status/1537878003249606657?s=21&t=mkkcscANjTOA7TmBd0eckw). He’s not a good fit in Sacramento, but McNair is pretty committed to BPA. Teams are also talking to the Kings about trading up to get him at 4 (https://twitter.com/swipazorro/status/1537595888612167681?s=21&t=mkkcscANjTOA7TmBd0eckw).  

I don’t think Ivey will slip. Thunder are thinking about him at 2 (https://twitter.com/thunderchats/status/1537878003249606657?s=21&t=mkkcscANjTOA7TmBd0eckw). He’s not a good fit in Sacramento, but McNair is pretty committed to BPA. Teams are also talking to the Kings about trading up to get him at 4 (https://twitter.com/swipazorro/status/1537595888612167681?s=21&t=mkkcscANjTOA7TmBd0eckw).  

It is wishful thinking and been hearing a few rumors. If the big 4 go with the top 4 picks I hope the Pistons take Sharpe. 

this should not matter to anyone because i watch not AAU, college nor G League basketball.

my underrateds in the draft: Mark Williams, Jeremy Sochan

my overrateds in the draft: AJ Griffin, Benedict Mathurin, Tyty Washington.

i could also see history considering two of the Big 3 busts, with only Banchero seeming a sure thing. there are a lot of boom/bust guys i'm equally exited/concerned about in the mid draft: Sharpe/Dieng/Eason/DDaniels/Duren any one of these could be the SOD or a mirage in 5 yrs time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the Wolves to get a good defensive big: Mark Williams, Walker Kessler, or Tari Eason.

I don't think they're going to trade D-Lo. He's worth more to the Wolves than whatever crappy compensation I think they'd be able to get for him. I suspect he'll end up leaving after next season because he's going to want more than the Wolves will pay unless they, and he, have a monster year. And that's ok. I'm fine with one more year and letting him go for nothing. 

Chet Holmgren will NOT be a bust. 

Mavs turned Boban, Trey Burke, and the 26th pick into Christian Wood, nearly perfectly addressing their biggest gap. Now we'll se how FA can be used to try and grab someone with 3 and D potential to round out the squad. 

The Bulls have heavy interest in Rudy Gobert. A deal could be simple or complex depending on what Utah decides for its future.

If they are going with a full teardown and rebuild then they might be motivated to just dump Gobert's salary. Vucevic is in the final year of his contract, and a swap would be fairly easy.

But if Utah wants equity in a trade, then a deal is probably doomed. 

Mavs turned Boban, Trey Burke, and the 26th pick into Christian Wood, nearly perfectly addressing their biggest gap. Now we'll se how FA can be used to try and grab someone with 3 and D potential to round out the squad. 

What did you see as their biggest need?

The Bulls have heavy interest in Rudy Gobert. A deal could be simple or complex depending on what Utah decides for its future.

If they are going with a full teardown and rebuild then they might be motivated to just dump Gobert's salary. Vucevic is in the final year of his contract, and a swap would be fairly easy.

But if Utah wants equity in a trade, then a deal is probably doomed. 
Utah values him quite a bit higher than a salary dump.

It is wishful thinking and been hearing a few rumors. If the big 4 go with the top 4 picks I hope the Pistons take Sharpe. 
What I've heard is that the Pistons likely will take Murray with the 5th if Ivey is gone, and Sacramento wants Murray if they don't take Ivey. Could be interesting.

Utah values him quite a bit higher than a salary dump.
They do, which seems odd. Next season he is owed 38 million, and then over 40 million for the three seasons after that.

With Gobert, they are a middle of the pack playoff team who will keep running into the wall of Booker/Jokic/Doncic for the foreseeable future.

Without him, they are a lottery team with a flexible cap and the freedom to start over. 

They do, which seems odd. Next season he is owed 38 million, and then over 40 million for the three seasons after that.

With Gobert, they are a middle of the pack playoff team who will keep running into the wall of Booker/Jokic/Doncic for the foreseeable future.

Without him, they are a lottery team with a flexible cap and the freedom to start over. 
Lot of rumblings on the Hawks boards about them going after Gobert - no way I want him at that money 

Jazz are in a rough spot because they have no chance of getting marquee free agents. So when you end up with Gobert and Mitchell, two almost All-NBA guys, you hold on to them like grim death and hope to god those two either somehow make a bigger leap into the top 10 players or you can make enough genius signings around the margins and hit on late 1st round/2nd round picks in order to get better. 

If they trade Mitchell and Gobert to start over they're staring down the barrel of a decade of misery. 

I don't see GP2 going anywhere. His game effectiveness is tailored for Kerr's open floor offense. 
A lot of teams can use a defensive stopper who moves well without the ball and has a semi-respectable three.  He is no spring chicken and needs to get paid.  I think they offer the whol MLE, hopefully it is enough.  I think he will play for a semi-discount given they talked him out of hanging it up 7 months ago.

A lot of teams can use a defensive stopper who moves well without the ball and has a semi-respectable three.  He is no spring chicken and needs to get paid.  I think they offer the whol MLE, hopefully it is enough.  I think he will play for a semi-discount given they talked him out of hanging it up 7 months ago.
But a lot of teams don't open the floor the way Kerr's offense is designed to do. Kerr constantly moves all  his players around without being stationary  in order to create open passing lanes  which allows GP2 open lanes to attack the basket. GP2 is just not going to be able to go to any team and be able to replicate  the same results. I  think he's comfortable with his role and success and  wants to stay with the dubs  and expect both sides will come to an agreeable salary.

But a lot of teams don't open the floor the way Kerr's offense is designed to do. Kerr constantly moves all  his players around without being stationary  in order to create open passing lanes  which allows GP2 open lanes to attack the basket. GP2 is just not going to be able to go to any team and be able to replicate  the same results. I  think he's comfortable with his role and success and  wants to stay with the dubs  and expect both sides will come to an agreeable salary.
He's turning thirty this year and has less than $4M career earnings. I won't blame him if he signs elsewhere for $20M/2 years, but will also be thrilled if he signs for the MLE. Curry already told Meyers he doesn't want GP2 guarding him next season so I am sure they will do whatever is in their power to keep him

GS should attract some vets and guys looking to increase their value, a la Porter, in the free agent market. 

But enough teams think they can do that.

Likely that at least  one of those teams will offer a relative ton for him

Hope he stays, but...

What did you see as their biggest need?
They clearly needed someone who can play inside. Kleber is a 25-mins per game kinda guy especially at the 5. Powell is great in the regular season but can be targeted like crazy when it matters.

Wood has a lot of defensive upside, and is basically a better version of Powell in every way even if he doesn't really play much defense. Like found money for Dallas. This will be the first time Wood is getting real minutes on a team that's not complete garbage too, I think. 

They clearly needed someone who can play inside. Kleber is a 25-mins per game kinda guy especially at the 5. Powell is great in the regular season but can be targeted like crazy when it matters.

Wood has a lot of defensive upside, and is basically a better version of Powell in every way even if he doesn't really play much defense. Like found money for Dallas. This will be the first time Wood is getting real minutes on a team that's not complete garbage too, I think. 

I remember him being pretty bad defensively, but I haven't really paid attention to him to much this year. 

I am interested to see if he can carry his game over to a good team. A lot if guys have good numbers on bad teams and it doesn't translate to a good/different team. 

I think this move helps Dallas a little, but not enough to get them any further in the playoffs. I won't be surprised see Dallas not go as far in the playoffs next year. 

I remember him being pretty bad defensively, but I haven't really paid attention to him to much this year. 

I am interested to see if he can carry his game over to a good team. A lot if guys have good numbers on bad teams and it doesn't translate to a good/different team. 

I think this move helps Dallas a little, but not enough to get them any further in the playoffs. I won't be surprised see Dallas not go as far in the playoffs next year. 
Yeah, I mean, the point is: if he's bad defensively he's still a hug upgrade. And the gamble, which is a smart one I think, is that since he's only ever played real minutes on teams that totally sucked, decent chance effort wasn't there (skills seem to be). Now with meaningful minutes coming for the first time in his career and Kidd having turned a bunch of other "bad" defenders into a top 10 defense, you see what could happen.

I'm very impressed with Nico as GM. Basically making more decisions of the type I think GMs should make (smart, low downside and high upside moves) and fewer atrocious ones.

I'm open to arguments this is wrong, but it is how I'm viewing it too. Feels like he is just going to get pushed around down low.

He is only 19 and hasn't been in an NBA weight program yet. We will have to see how hard he works at it. He also isn't going down low. He is 7 feet, but he is going to be playing sf or a stretch 4 at this level. I am not saying he will be Durant, but that is how a smart organization would try to use him. 

He is only 19 and hasn't been in an NBA weight program yet. We will have to see how hard he works at it. He also isn't going down low. He is 7 feet, but he is going to be playing sf or a stretch 4 at this level. I am not saying he will be Durant, but that is how a smart organization would try to use him. 

I think his ceiling is a mediocre Porzingis

I've seen a ton of places ripping Tatum for not showing up in the Finals, that he doesn't have the killer gene, that the Celtics won't get this far again, etc. He certainly did not play his best. However, not many people have considered that he is still a puppy in terms of basketball years. He just finished his age 23 season. For comparison, here's how many playoff games other notables had logged through their age 23 season: Lebron - 46, KD - 43, Duncan - 26, Giannis - 19, Klay - 19, Jordan - 10, Curry - 0.

Tatum has now played in 74 playoff games. In his 5 seasons, the C's advanced to the finals once and the ECF's two other times. Time will tell if he has already peaked, if he can't play better, or if he is just another guy in crunch time. But he's got way more playoff experience than many other players that went on to win titles.

I've seen a ton of places ripping Tatum for not showing up in the Finals, that he doesn't have the killer gene, that the Celtics won't get this far again, etc. He certainly did not play his best. However, not many people have considered that he is still a puppy in terms of basketball years. He just finished his age 23 season. For comparison, here's how many playoff games other notables had logged through their age 23 season: Lebron - 46, KD - 43, Duncan - 26, Giannis - 19, Klay - 19, Jordan - 10, Curry - 0.

Tatum has now played in 74 playoff games. In his 5 seasons, the C's advanced to the finals once and the ECF's two other times. Time will tell if he has already peaked, if he can't play better, or if he is just another guy in crunch time. But he's got way more playoff experience than many other players that went on to win titles.
He's a really nice player, but he's not THAT GUY.   :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread