What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (3 Viewers)

OH! that 5 billion dollar stadium is janky. it was so f'ing hot and miserable. just gross. it's like sitting in a greenhouse. zero breeze. my buddy said to me at one point, "my knees are sweating, never really seen that before" i am not a large man. my front row, 2nd level seat, was so narrow, i had wedge myself into the seat. dude to my left was huge. he over flowed into my seat. i could not lean back without being on top of him. my knee sweating friend, slightly larger man, had to seriously wedge his *** into the seat. we bailed on our seats and went to the club at halftime. we found some empty seats (padded). better, but still not great. i'll need the tickets to be free if i go to another day game there.
That is how it (Minn also) looks on TV, like a greenhouse.

This play exemplifies why I am concerned about Carr's performance yesterday. Check out Davonte and Hollins both sitting open for the first down while Carr waits and waits and waits for Renfrow to come open which he never does resulting in Carr's third pick... https://youtu.be/gEK0WAajKvM?t=657

He made terrible reads like this repeatedly yesterday. Even on the TD to Bolden (6:40 in the video), he had a MUCH safer and easier throw to Hollins for the first down that he skipped right past for the higher degree of difficulty timing play to Bolden in the EZ. That was on 3rd down. The TD was nice - a great and beautiful throw in fact - but down 17-3 you take the easy chain-moving play and the fresh set of downs in the RZ. Even when things went right, it was easy to nitpick Carr's decision making.

Carr was regularly laser focused on his first read and couldn't see the rest of the field. Bad QBs look at option 1 only, throw to option 1 regardless. Good QBs look at option 1 and throw to option 3. Great QBs look at option 3 and throw to option 1. Carr was a bad QB yesterday. I've seen him play better. Much better. He needs to see the field better and employ all his options. He has so many of them on every play.
Remember year one in Gruden’s system? It was bad more times than good. Let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of that year. I don’t know a QB that has had to learn so many offenses in such a short time. Not making excuses for Carr (well, maybe a little) but he’s starting over again. There’s lots of changes top to bottom in the organization… AGAIN… Something QBs like like Herbert, Mahomes and Allen don’t have to deal with on a bi-annual basis. Carr is also a byproduct of the organization he plays for. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread. There’s lots of teams out there who would love to have Carr as their starter. It’s week 1, let’s give him a chance to dive into the playbook.
I think Leftwhich beat him... I don't think Leftwhich ever had a year where he didn't have a new OC.

Brady always makes these plays. Burrow and Herbert regularly make these plays. Carr needs to make these plays.
The Steelers would like to have a word.

Did you watch that game or the highlights? Stillers defense looked incredible until Watt got hurt. That dude is such a monster. He is second only to Donald right now in terms of one-man defensive impact. And I'm not even sure Donald is ahead of him anymore. Minkah was beasting as well. Yesterday's version of Carr and the Raider OL would've been eaten alive.
I watched both games actually (I don't really bounce around from game to game. CBS out here had Pitt/Cin in the AM and Raiders/Chargers in the afternoon). TJ is an alien. Like straight up landed on earth from another planet. His real name is Ta-Jel. He's a game wrecker for sure.

But the Chargers defense also looks incredibly talented. Derwin was all over the place, Asante is playing like his father, Bosa is Bosa and most people foolishly thought Mack was in decline despite racking up 6 sacks, a fumble recovery (If you get a sack do you also get a QB hit? Same for TFL? Is a sack also a TFL or are those tracked separately? If not he had 7 and 6 of those respectively) in seven games last season. He was as beastly as ever and looked every bit the part yesterday. Oh, and JC Jackson didn't even play. If Sebastian Joseph-Day turns into a player, and I think he may, the Chargers will have one of the top defenses in the league this season.

Compare the two QBs' performances objectively: https://youtu.be/XkgLk02XC4M

- Burrow faced a much more ferocious D, without question. Pressure came not only from the edges, but up the gut - and the secondary was absolutely swarming. Chargers D played well, but not like this.

- Burrow stood tall and made plenty of secondary and tertiary reads and throws.

- Burrow saw the field better and took the easy throws regularly and quickly.

- Burrow escaped pressure multiple times with slides and steps in pocket, and despite being less of an athlete and with a post-ACL reconstructed knee, he made several key runs when they came available.

Look, Burrow made some bad decisions with long throws into coverage. But on the whole, watching the two of them operate yesterday from the pocket, Burrow looked much better than Carr by fairly wide margin. Giving Carr some leeway for a new system and new weapons, but there are some glaring issues with his game that date back to when he broke his leg. He's way too immobile for a guy with his athleticism. His pocket presence sux balls when the OL doesn't give him time. He locks into his pre-snap reads and doesn't seem to adjust well on the fly. Can the McD system correct for some or all of these given some time? I hope so, but yesterday wasn't a good first look.

I've apologized for Carr plenty in the past. I think/hope he has much better days ahead. But it's fair to criticize him for yesterday's game. His play was the #1 reason among a few that the team lost that game. That hasn't been the case often in the past. Let's hope yesterday was an anomaly and not a harbinger.

OH! that 5 billion dollar stadium is janky. it was so f'ing hot and miserable. just gross. it's like sitting in a greenhouse. zero breeze. my buddy said to me at one point, "my knees are sweating, never really seen that before" i am not a large man. my front row, 2nd level seat, was so narrow, i had wedge myself into the seat. dude to my left was huge. he over flowed into my seat. i could not lean back without being on top of him. my knee sweating friend, slightly larger man, had to seriously wedge his *** into the seat. we bailed on our seats and went to the club at halftime. we found some empty seats (padded). better, but still not great. i'll need the tickets to be free if i go to another day game there.
it was a sauna.

CB Anthony Averett left with a thumb injury and did not return. This injury may have been what prompted the team to sign CB Nickell Roby-Coleman Monday morning.

S Tre’Von Moehrig left with an ankle injury and did not return, Veteran Duron Harmon stepped in a played the rest of the way.

LB Denzel Perryman left with an ankle injury and didn’t return.

RB Brandon Bolden left with a hamstring injury and did not return.

WR DJ Turner left with an ankle injury.

Andre James suffered an apparent concussion on the final play for the Raiders and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital following the game.

Signing two DB's makes me worried about Moehrig.
If James misses significant time, our Oline that is thin to start gets real thin. Parham moves to C with Cotton/Simpson on the sides and Eluenamor/Munford at RT with not much in terms of options to move anyone around.

Perryman got hurt like every game last year and came back. Hoping he does again. Bolden can be absorbed with our stable of backs. Turner is depth but sucks for the young kid.

Baldy's breakdown on Herbert's game below. Dude is special. AFCW arguably has two of the NFL's top 3 QBs... If I were McZ, I'd focus on DL/OL and running game to try to compete with the Chiefs and Chargers over the next few years. Gotta pressure them up the gut and play keep away by running the ball down throats. Trying to go toe to toe in shootouts isn't a recipe for success against these two QBs. It's encouraging that the Raiders D didn't fold after Carr's turnovers and actually held the Chargers scoreless in the 4th. They need a 3-tech pass rush bad. I hope they are keeping tabs on Philon's rehab/recovery.

it was a sauna.
No Air Conditioning? I think they can afford to crank it up

I see the whole team gelling by week 3 , i think there was way to much hype during the offseason based on the talent,but everything is new , this will take some time.

Last edited:
I see the whole team gelling by week 3 , i think their was way to much hype during the offseason based on the talent,but everything is new , this will take some time.
This. Carr is a good QB. He will pull it together. The o line is not going to be good this season but running the ball and using short to medium passes will allow the O to flourish. There are talented players all over the field that can make plays if they get the ball in their hands.

it was a sauna.
no AC. makes no sense

it was a sauna.
no AC. makes no sense
No AC in Vegas ???? thats barbaric

it was a sauna.
no AC. makes no sense
No AC in Vegas ???? thats barbaric
Los Angeles.

Hackett looking like a total hack tonight for the Donks. Not kicking FGs when he should have earlier. Then kicking one he shouldn't have at the end. Then the repeated fruitless TOs to top it all off at the end. What a tool.

Hackett looking like a total hack tonight for the Donks. Not kicking FGs when he should have earlier. Then kicking one he shouldn't have at the end. Then the repeated fruitless TOs to top it all off at the end. What a tool.
That was some of the worst clock management I have seen. And I'm not talking about the end. Two delay of games (or were there more?) and constantly getting the play off late leading to frequent confusion and, IMO likely the Javonte Williams fumble at the three.

They'll figure it out but it was an ugly start.

That was some of the worst clock management I have seen. And I'm not talking about the end. Two delay of games (or were there more?) and constantly getting the play off late leading to frequent confusion and, IMO likely the Javonte Williams fumble at the three.

They'll figure it out but it was an ugly start.
No. No. They will not figure it out.

Derek Carr in week 1 was like the poor kid growing up without many Christmas presents and then when he becomes an adult he overcompensates by buying all his childhood toys and doesn’t know what to do with them. For years he was check down Charlie, now he got himself in trouble by being too aggressive. He’s got too many options, he’s not used to it, this is where McDaniels needs to reign him in. Davante is always open but he’s got to learn how to utilize the whole offense. Carr will figure it out. He’s survived 3 regime changes NFL people love him for his intangibles. If the guy who left Indy at the alter trusts him, I’m going to trust him as well.

"it's on me" we've heard this for 8 years, breh. guy needs to man up on the field, not after the game talking to the press.

derek gotta put up 30 on this weak *** cardinals team. carr is more than capable of closing the game out before the 4th quarter with the weapons on offense.

I`d love to be a fly in the coaches office as they review film and game plan now that they've seen what they really have after real game action.

not that they need LB's like they need OL, but how about a trade for deion jones, ATL? he restructured and is reportedly unhappy there. no clue what ATL would want. but i love the player.

Raiders sign former top pick C Billy Price to the practice squad​

Not a good sign for Andre James recovery.

I just read it as an obvious need and a depth signing more than a portent ($10 word! Look at me!) about James’ recovery.

wonder if he has gas left in the tank. always liked him for some reason

even if his tank is only 1/8th full, bring him in. We need bodies who can play if called upon.

"it's on me" we've heard this for 8 years, breh. guy needs to man up on the field, not after the game talking to the press.

Many of us said this offseason that this is Carr's put up or shut up year. No excuses. Not even that sad OL. Which wasn't actually that sad on every play last weekend:

Maybe it's rust. Maybe it's acclimatimg to a new offense. Maybe he's got the yips over fear that his OL could crumble at any moment... But reviewing the all 22 angles in that tweet just now showed how poorly Derek was seeing the field this past weekend. ***He seems to be locking in on his presnap reads*** and SD was disguising their coverages well. So many open receivers that he simply did not see. :(

DC said he was trying to be too aggressive.
I kind of find it funny... for so long the whining was about him not being aggressive enough and game 1 into the season when he really went aggressive (to a fault) all the whiners about him not checking it start whining about him being too aggressive.

1 game. It is one game against an extremely good defense. On top of that a new system and not playing in pre-season at all.

I am interested to see the game tomorrow... maybe there is something for me to see that will turn me into a chicken little and join the whiners but I am really going to want to see what we do in more than 1 game to make any real judgements about anything.

One thing is very plain from what I can see from the highlights.... Adams is a weapon that there seemed to be no defense against. Every highlight I saw he was open. The only one that the defender had stayed with him at all was actually the TD catch.

Raiders also worked out Oday Aboushi and Vernon Hargreaves along with Osemele and signing Price and Robey-Coleman

um…where was all this activity last week?
Fair Q
Both the OL they are looking at are G's and Price to the PS is a C. So... they expect James out for a bit. Parham to C and then bring in a vet for depth in case something happens to Simpson or Cotton.
I will be keeping my eye on the line play with the rewind watch tomorrow.

I kind of find it funny... for so long the whining was about him not being aggressive enough and game 1 into the season when he really went aggressive (to a fault) all the whiners about him not checking it start whining about him being too aggressive.

1 game. It is one game against an extremely good defense. On top of that a new system and not playing in pre-season at all.

I am interested to see the game tomorrow... maybe there is something for me to see that will turn me into a chicken little and join the whiners but I am really going to want to see what we do in more than 1 game to make any real judgements about anything.

One thing is very plain from what I can see from the highlights.... Adams is a weapon that there seemed to be no defense against. Every highlight I saw he was open. The only one that the defender had stayed with him at all was actually the TD catch.
I’m not worried about Carr either. It’s going to take him a few games to settle into his new O. It’s discouraging to see Carr not see so many open WRs but it’s also encouraging to see that the new O is creating so many open WRs. I don’t remember seeing so many open WRs for the Raiders in the recent past.

Many of us said this offseason that this is Carr's put up or shut up year. No excuses. Not even that sad OL. Which wasn't actually that sad on every play last weekend:

Maybe it's rust. Maybe it's acclimatimg to a new offense. Maybe he's got the yips over fear that his OL could crumble at any moment... But reviewing the all 22 angles in that tweet just now showed how poorly Derek was seeing the field this past weekend. ***He seems to be locking in on his presnap reads*** and SD was disguising their coverages well. So many open receivers that he simply did not see. :(
this was my impression at the game. a lot of the time i'd be pointing at a wide open player and the play went elsewhere

Maybe watch the game before you start hurling insults. Check out the game highlights and that all-22 footage tweet I posted upthread as a good preview. No one has said Carr should be benched. Or that he sucks. Only that he sucked last weekend. He did. It's okay. It was the first game in a new offense against a good team in a high pressure division game without a single preseason snap. Carr's been good/great in the past. I'm still optimistic he'll be so in the future, FTR. But just as it's fair to crown his *** when he plays well, it's also fair to call him out when he's the single biggest reason the team loses a game.

Blame game for this loss, in order:

1. Carr
2. McD
3. OTs
4. IDL (lack of pressure)

Is what it is. One bad game by these four facets. 16 more to go. Opportunity to right the ship in just four days. On and forward to better, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread