What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (2 Viewers)

@Bruno2 the only thing that might make sense for Brady is reuniting with McD but then again, if he can't win with the Buc D, he isn't winning with the Raider D as is.

The writing is on the wall and this coaching staff is going to move on
This is where you lost me.

What do you expect from a coach taking over a new team? Instant success? That's unrealistic on every level.

We need to stop pretending that Miami, the Giants and Minnesota are somehow immediately transformed. Good for them that they are all in contention, like the Raiders last year they have a chance.

But let's acknowledge they are all miracle playoff contenders, exactly like the Raiders were last year. Those teams need to look at what happened to the Raiders this year and recognize this is what happens when the ball bounces the other way.

Would you be talking about firing Bisacchia if he followed up last year with this performance? Of course not, the talent for his scheme isn't there yet*.

*I hate this BTW. We all hear the talk about how great coaches fit the scheme to the talent although I wonder how much that logic is based in reality.

For me it is part of my reasoning because I think about a quote I attribute to Bum Phillips when talking about the greatness of Don Shula. Much like Mark Twain it may not have happened and even if it did Bum may not have been the one who said it.

But the way I heard it is Bum said that Shula was so great because "...he can take his'n and beat your'n, or he can take your'n and beat his'n"

That's what I would love in a coach but in reality it is probably like searching for Shangri La.

Regardless of Carr, who I have staunchly supported, McDaniels deserves at least one more year. With or without Carr.

You might not like Carr but every single indication we have ever seen or heard that would indicate what the locker room thinks of Carr is that they are 100% behind him
I have no idea if this is true. Every indication is Aaron Rodgers is a self righteous hippie, d#######g who is incredibly difficult on his team and teammates. But the team seems to rally around the guy, IMO, because he consistently makes amazing plays.

IMO locker rooms are very open to anything that ultimately leads to better contracts for all involved. That means winning.

I love Carr (I think most in here recognize that as my rep) and, if he doesn't retire, I will openly root for whichever team he plays for (AFC West excluded) but after 9 seasons ATM...

McDaniels>Carr

It is hilarious to me that anyone thinks Mike White is an upgrade over Carr.
He's not. That's crazy talk and I dismiss it outright.p

But Garoppolo? I can't honestly make the argument against. Injury is the only reason and that's specious.

Brady? I would hate that. God would I hate that. I hate writing about the possibility. But my inner Vulcan can make the argument in favor.

@Chaka

Just because Rodgers ans Brady are jerks and can keep a locker room doesn't mean Carr lost the locker room. All my point was that there has never been any indication other than his teammates being behind Carr.

@joey

My phone will not let me reply and does funky stuff with this forum.

Thanks for asking... hanging in there. Wed's are infusion treatment days so a little rougher/longer than most. Christmas was good and the kids are doing well. Getting go andnod response from the treatment so far so that is encouraging. A long road to go with more chemo then surgery and then radiation and more infusions.

Whatever.
I don't want to replace Carr till we have a blue chip prospect. We can win games with him, if not titles
Someone said it best above. All Carr does for the Raiders is give them lower draft picks.
9-8 is better than 3-14. Carr isn't a franchise guy, but he's a great bridge.

Good organizations seem to find players later in the draft, I don't care to hit bottom again, for some stud rookie.

Let's just keep taking athletic freaks till we get the next Hurts/Lamar

possible we upgrade... but not likely.

Of course it isn't likely, but that shouldn't prevent them from trying. Gotta roll the dice once it becomes clear that the current setup is hopeless. Carr is broken. Could he be fixed by a change of scenery? Sure, he could. Maybe. But the odds of him ever becoming a winner with Vegas again are well below the odds of finding a franchise QB sometime in the next few years IMO. That is why they are best off moving on. If he goes on to greatness with his next team, it would still have been the right decision based on what they are dealing with here and now.

Not happy to make the above assessment. I am a big fan of Carr the person, and was rooting hard for Carr the player all these years. But it's long overdue to face Carr the reality. Don't forget we all said this was his make or break season. He broke. 😞

Of course it isn't likely, but that shouldn't prevent them from trying. Gotta roll the dice once it becomes clear that the current setup is hopeless. Carr is broken. Could he be fixed by a change of scenery? Sure, he could. Maybe. But the odds of him ever becoming a winner with Vegas again are well below the odds of finding a franchise QB sometime in the next few years IMO. That is why they are best off moving on. If he goes on to greatness with his next team, it would still have been the right decision based on what they are dealing with here and now.

Not happy to make the above assessment. I am a big fan of Carr the person, and was rooting hard for Carr the player all these years. But it's long overdue to face Carr the reality. Don't forget we all said this was his make or break season. He broke. 😞
Agree with all of this. Every word.

I’ll add that I don’t think any team can fox him. He’s a fundamentally bad QB at this point.

He’s not Zach Wilson bad, but he’s not a lot better results-wise. He’d be better if he had Wilson’s mobility and arm strength.

Super nice guy. Big heart. Love his moxie. But he’s best suited as a backup.

Thanks for asking... hanging in there. Wed's are infusion treatment days so a little rougher/longer than most. Christmas was good and the kids are doing well. Getting go andnod response from the treatment so far so that is encouraging. A long road to go with more chemo then surgery and then radiation and more infusions.

among this crazy day, and a bunch of light hearted jokes, sh!t just got real.

I’m sure I speak for everyone in this thread wishing you a happy and HEALTHY 2023 and all the best to you and your family.

Let’s all wish for a much better 2023 both personally and for this stupid team we all root for.

@Chaka
Just because Rodgers ans Brady are jerks and can keep a locker room doesn't mean Carr lost the locker room. All my point was that there has never been any indication other than his teammates being behind Carr.
I am just considering the possibility that winning cures a lot of perceived issues.

The locker room may (probably does) love Carr but I think that's a non issue. What does it really mean? It's not like they overachieved for him, heck they didn't averagely achieve for him. So what does it mean if the locker room loved him? And we have no idea about the reality of the locker room dynamic.

At this point, again this is coming from a guy who has been in lock step with you vis-a-vis Carr, are we really saying the problem is with the first year, with this team, HC and not the QB for the last nine seasons?

I will never stop rooting for Carr and I hate the Raiders being in QB limbo, but I completely understand choosing to move on.

Whatever.
I don't want to replace Carr till we have a blue chip prospect. We can win games with him, if not titles
Someone said it best above. All Carr does for the Raiders is give them lower draft picks.

Good organizations seem to find players later in the draft, I don't care to hit bottom again, for some stud rookie.

Why wait for the next Lamar when you could have Lamar?

Worth it?

Glad to hear there’s encouraging news.

Best wishes for a happy new year.
❤️

Agree with all of this. Every word.

I’ll add that I don’t think any team can fox him. He’s a fundamentally bad QB at this point.

He’s not Zach Wilson bad, but he’s not a lot better results-wise. He’d be better if he had Wilson’s mobility and arm strength.

Super nice guy. Big heart. Love his moxie. But he’s best suited as a backup.
Two months ago anyone would have said the same about Cousins.

I feel bad for Carr. He was an excellent QB until he broke his leg. He hasn’t been the same since and that is really sad. He seems like a good human being and has always represented the Raiders with class.

But the mental part of sports is powerful, and he hasn’t ever been able to overcome that injury. You can see it as stuff breaks down or people get near his legs. He gets skittish and it just changes the whole thought process for him.

But the Raiders have to move on. But I’m sad to see it.

Whatever.

Worth it?
Maaaayyybeee. What’s he cost is the question. If it doesn’t hamstring the team. In a heartbeat. But they need soooooo many other parts, they’ve got to have cap space for it.

Whatever.

Worth it?
Maaaayyybeee. What’s he cost is the question. If it doesn’t hamstring the team. In a heartbeat. But they need soooooo many other parts, they’ve got to have cap space for it.
LJax glosses over a lot of warts. He’s made the Baltimore Ravens look way better than they’ve been for his presence.

With the mobility/escapability the OL doesn’t have to withstand as much pressure. RPOs keep pass rushers on their heels.

It’s an interesting idea for sure.

Deal Adams for players/picks. Patch some holes that way. I know Raiders fans probably hate that idea but Adams isn’t getting any younger.

Whatever.

Worth it?
LJax glosses over a lot of warts. He’s made the Baltimore Ravens look way better than they’ve been for his presence.

With the mobility/escapability the OL doesn’t have to withstand as much pressure. RPOs keep pass rushers on their heels.

It’s an interesting idea for sure.

Deal Adams for players/picks. Patch some holes that way. I know Raiders fans probably hate that idea but Adams isn’t getting any younger.
Waller should garner a decent return.

FTR, I HATE this situation. Not just because I am a Derek Carr, human being fan. But even more so b/c I don't like or (more importantly) trust Josh McDonald's. For all of Carr's failures as a QB, McDonald's has been a MUCH bigger failure as a Head Coach and yet here they are moving the former in favor of the latter. Rubs me really wrong when I think about this situation in those terms.

If Carr goes on to star for the Nooners for the next five years, while McYouKnow goes 4-13 and done next season, we will have only one person to blame and that is Mark Davis' barber.

(We all know he cuts his own hair.)

FTR, I HATE this situation. Not just because I am a Derek Carr, human being fan. But even more so b/c I don't like or (more importantly) trust Josh McDonald's. For all of Carr's failures as a QB, McDonald's has been a MUCH bigger failure as a Head Coach and yet here they are moving the former in favor of the latter. Rubs me really wrong when I think about this situation in those terms.
Unfortunately for the Raiders, I don't think they can afford a new HC.

Wow! That escalated quickly. For the front office to move so decisively makes me think they are either in a complete rebuild, or have a deal in place for Brady. Got no opinion on whether that would be go or bad.

If they are going full rebuild can they get a 1st for Carr?

As a Jets fan, I can tell you that I'd slobberknock all over Carr if he were available. We haven't had a quarterback that good since the ghost of Brett Favre played for us. I'll take Carr in a minute. He had a terrible game against Pittsburgh. Big deal.

Hand him over for a second and we'll start him right away.

And win with him.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, I don't think they can afford a new HC.
It’s not even a matter of affording it. Whotf wants to pay for 3 HCs? That would drive me me crazy.(If I were paying the bill😂). Maybe tommy boy can’t afford it, but why would he want to? Makes no sense.

And as a fan, i hope they give McZ a shot. Doesn’t matter what I think of McZ. What I do know, from experience, changing regimes every 2-3 years doesn’t work. At all.

if carr goes to another team and does well. I'll be happy for him, but that doesn't mean he would have done well staying with the raiders. sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders.

I would be surprised if derek goes on to do anything spectacular anywhere else, but then again we had gannon show up and play at an MVP level.

As a Jets fan, I can tell you that I'd slobberknock all over Carr if he were available. We haven't had a quarterback that good since the ghost of Brett Favre played for us. I'll take Carr in a minute. He had a terrible game against Pittsburgh. Big deal.

Hand him over for a second and we'll start him right away.

And win with him.
I can see Carr possibly succeeding somewhere else, but I don't think the NY market is the place for him.

I can see Carr possibly succeeding somewhere else, but I don't think the NY market is the place for him.

The NY market takes a special breed. I don't know enough about Carr and how he handles the media crush to talk about that with any sort of expertise. I'm talking about pure QB play. The Jets really spit the bit when Wilson played this year. Wilson cost them a playoff spot when it all comes down to it.

Funny, reading old draft profiles of Stidham:

“Stidham mostly reminds Jeremiah of Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, who is a three-time Pro Bowl selection. “Carr has established himself as a top-tier quarterback in the NFL, and I believe Stidham has similar potential,”

Even the greats are speaking up , this isnt going to end well

Tim Brown
@81TimBrown

@Raiders
I don't know the background of this
@derekcarrqb
fiasco that's playing out today. But if it's anywhere close to what's being reported, Josh must be trying to get fired! No matter what you think of his play this year, he deserves better than this! I'm sure there are vet Qbs in the league tonight going yea, that's how I would like to be treated!! Again, I hope what I'm hearing is not correct!!

10:03 PM · Dec 28, 2022

Users who are viewing this thread