What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (1 Viewer)

Even the greats are speaking up , this isnt going to end well

Tim Brown
@81TimBrown

@Raiders
I don't know the background of this
@derekcarrqb
fiasco that's playing out today. But if it's anywhere close to what's being reported, Josh must be trying to get fired! No matter what you think of his play this year, he deserves better than this! I'm sure there are vet Qbs in the league tonight going yea, that's how I would like to be treated!! Again, I hope what I'm hearing is not correct!!

10:03 PM · Dec 28, 2022
It is a real concern for me. If you remember, one of the central examples of his horrible run with the Broncos was his handling of the QBs.

Cutler is pretty close to what Carr is... a QB that is in the range of above average with flashes of greatness as well as examples of big let downs..... but is there anyone that is going to argue that Orton was a better option than Cutler? But you have the added bonus of having a leader in Carr where Cutler was a cancer. Two years of Orton and then they were able to grab Manning for a few more good years before time finally put the end to Manning. Then a nasty list of QB's with a team wasting away a very good to great defense and pretty good pieces to the offense with these...

Siemian
Lynch
Osweiler
Keenum
Flacco
Lock
Bridgewater
Wilson and now Rypien

I expect that this will be our lot for the next 5 or so years as we search for a QB. On the bright side, hopefully we can build a good D with all the high end draft picks we will end up with.

As a Jets fan, I can tell you that I'd slobberknock all over Carr if he were available. We haven't had a quarterback that good since the ghost of Brett Favre played for us. I'll take Carr in a minute. He had a terrible game against Pittsburgh. Big deal.

Hand him over for a second and we'll start him right away.

And win with him.
Carr with that Jet team you have and the HC you got in place... serious SB contenders in my view.

FTR, I HATE this situation. Not just because I am a Derek Carr, human being fan. But even more so b/c I don't like or (more importantly) trust Josh McDonald's. For all of Carr's failures as a QB, McDonald's has been a MUCH bigger failure as a Head Coach and yet here they are moving the former in favor of the latter. Rubs me really wrong when I think about this situation in those terms.

If Carr goes on to star for the Nooners for the next five years, while McYouKnow goes 4-13 and done next season, we will have only one person to blame and that is Mark Davis' barber.

(We all know he cuts his own hair.)
Carr with the Niners and if they keep what they got.... SF will be winning more than a couple of SB's and might just put Carr on the path to HOF. It would make a lot of sense for them to go after him in a trade... maybe trade us Lance for him but I doubt they will want to give up on Lance so soon..... then again, they have EVERYTHING they need with a lot of young guys to be contenders for the next half decade with a QB like Carr.

Wow! That escalated quickly. For the front office to move so decisively makes me think they are either in a complete rebuild, or have a deal in place for Brady. Got no opinion on whether that would be go or bad.

If they are going full rebuild can they get a 1st for Carr?
That would be tampering.
Not saying that doesn't happen but it would be against the rules.

Tim Brown
@81TimBrown

@Raiders
@derekcarrqb
fiasco that's playing out today. But if it's anywhere close to what's being reported, Josh must be trying to get fired! No matter what you think of his play this year, he deserves better than this! I'm sure there are vet Qbs in the league tonight going yea, that's how I would like to be treated!! Again, I hope what I'm hearing is not correct!!

saw this. i don't know what to think. lincoln kennedy, who is with the team way more than brown, threw waller under the bus and said he was holding himself out of games. true? seemed like it at the time. i don't think we really have a grasp of what's going on.

Tim Brown
@81TimBrown

@Raiders
@derekcarrqb

saw this. i don't know what to think. lincoln kennedy, who is with the team way more than brown, threw waller under the bus and said he was holding himself out of games. true? seemed like it at the time. i don't think we really have a grasp of what's going on.

agreed. Who knows what to think. I can’t help believing that the coaches think that Carr is holding them back by some questionable decisions.
the one play that’ll never leave my memory from a couple years back was throwing it out of the back of the end zone on a play where we were going for it on 4th down. You all remember….Carr scrambled and he basically just threw it out of the back of the end zone. Inexplicable.
maybe behind the scenes, McD and coaches are losing there minds when Carr isn’t taking advantage of the calls they’re making, especially in the 2nd half.

this is the narrative I’d love to believe and the only one that “makes sense” out of this surprising situation.

FTR, I HATE this situation. Not just because I am a Derek Carr, human being fan. But even more so b/c I don't like or (more importantly) trust Josh McDonald's. For all of Carr's failures as a QB, McDonald's has been a MUCH bigger failure as a Head Coach and yet here they are moving the former in favor of the latter. Rubs me really wrong when I think about this situation in those terms.

If Carr goes on to star for the Nooners for the next five years, while McYouKnow goes 4-13 and done next season, we will have only one person to blame and that is Mark Davis' barber.

Carr with the Niners and if they keep what they got.... SF will be winning more than a couple of SB's and might just put Carr on the path to HOF. It would make a lot of sense for them to go after him in a trade... maybe trade us Lance for him but I doubt they will want to give up on Lance so soon..... then again, they have EVERYTHING they need with a lot of young guys to be contenders for the next half decade with a QB like Carr.
carr would have to win 2 Super Bowls to even be considered. he's 14 games under .500. whether that's his fault or not. your record is what it says you are. i liked your comparison to cutler. good not great with flashes brilliance and awfulness. no way the 49ers part with lance for what they paid for him.

Tim Brown
@81TimBrown

@Raiders
@derekcarrqb

agreed. Who knows what to think. I can’t help believing that the coaches think that Carr is holding them back by some questionable decisions.
the one play that’ll never leave my memory from a couple years back was throwing it out of the back of the end zone on a play where we were going for it on 4th down. You all remember….Carr scrambled and he basically just threw it out of the back of the end zone. Inexplicable.
maybe behind the scenes, McD and coaches are losing there minds when Carr isn’t taking advantage of the calls they’re making, especially in the 2nd half.

this is the narrative I’d love to believe and the only one that “makes sense” out of this surprising situation.
when you look at carr objectively, he has more warts than you'd like as your starting qb. he makes some baaaaad choices on top of some really poor throws.(he makes good ones too) and it's not always in crunch time., but the redone aint his friend. i think it was in the NO game, first few passes of the game were way off. overthrows mostly. and before you knew it, they were down double digits.

but most people aren't objective with carr. it's weird. he's either Saint Carr, "you're not a true fan if you say anything bad about Him" or he's the worst thing ever and is responsible for everything. :shrug: the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

carr would have to win 2 Super Bowls to even be considered. he's 14 games under .500. whether that's his fault or not. your record is what it says you are. i liked your comparison to cutler. good not great with flashes brilliance and awfulness. no way the 49ers part with lance for what they paid for him.
If the Niners retain what they got and added Carr... two SB's in the next few years is very possible. They would rule the NFC and would have the D and O to beat the Bills/Chefs/Bengals/Fins etc that came out of the AFC in the big game. Lance has upside but could also be a waste of that team while Carr could come in and perform at a much higher level than anything they have got so far. This SF with the improved QB play Carr would bring is dangerous.

did anybody really want to see carr go against this niners defense?

the idea that DC goes on to win multiple super bowls with another team is not based in reality. the guy has never won a playoff game. if some other team out there really felt all they needed to win a super bowl was to trade for derek carr, they would have made it happen already.

there were rumours under gruden that carr was being shopped around and I wouldn't doubt that those rumours were true. supposedly gruden wanted kyler murray. most likely they couldn't find a trade partner that offered up what they were looking for in value. so no contenders were willing to make it happen to get multiple super bowls. who wouldn't trade away multiple 1st round picks for even one super bowl?

as for mcD, he may be the derek carr of coaching, except the guy does have playoff wins and championships to back him up. how much of that was tom brady and being favored by the nfl and it's officiating? pats got caught cheating as well. maybe it's not so easy to win without all that on your side...

waller is a player I always saw as super gifted athletically for a TE, but I never looked at him as being the same as the other top TEs in the nfl. he was carr's safety valve for a while, but never someone to depend on in the redzone.

I think the only dependable redzone guy carr ever had was crabtree. it's too bad carr and crab didn't play their entire careers together, probably would have been a different story for carr.

With all the drama around Carr, Adams gets lost in the discussion. He came to Vegas just to play with him. He’s now stuck in Vegas no matter what happens for at least another year right? This is going to sound wild, but crazier things have happened, is there any possibility to reunite Rodgers with Adams in Vegas?

The Raiders wouldnt be the Raiders if there wasnt some crazy drama attached to the team before ...during...and after the season. Maybe thats why the fans keep coming back, the endless drama , its like a bad soap opera that we just cant stop watching . We certainly arent coming back year after year for the outstanding play, those years are long gone.

If the Niners retain what they got and added Carr... two SB's in the next few years is very possible. They would rule the NFC and would have the D and O to beat the Bills/Chefs/Bengals/Fins etc that came out of the AFC in the big game. Lance has upside but could also be a waste of that team while Carr could come in and perform at a much higher level than anything they have got so far. This SF with the improved QB play Carr would bring is dangerous.
NE is the only team to win multiple super bowls in forever. The giants are the other. It’s just not easy. And your opinion of Carr is higher than mine. I think he and jimmy g are similar. You playing at qb could win games with the 49ers

Michael Silver breaks it down and it’s not pretty

TL/DR, it’s a cheapskate move. If Carr gets hurt in the last 2 games they’re on the hook for $40M

If they cut him next year it’s only a ~5M cap hit.
I can't read the article, but cheapskate move?
If this regime wants to move on from Carr it's the smart move. Who would want to potentially be stuck with a guy they have decided to move on from?

If Carr played well this year he would be the QB of the Raiders next year. Do some of you guys think McDaniels wanted Carr to fail? The fact of the matter is he played poorly this year and it was a tryout to see if this regime thought he was the QB to move forward with. He leads the league in interceptions and has been AWFUL in the red zone and has taken no responsibility for how the year has gone. He works hard and really seems to care, but he has shown no accountability. He has said other guys are at fault for not caring enough and even after the Steelers game he took no responsibility in the postgame presser when he played absolutely terrible and was the biggest reason they lost that game with the season on the line. The person to blame for Carr being gone is Carr.

If Carr played well this year he would be the QB of the Raiders next year. Do some of you guys think McDaniels wanted Carr to fail? The fact of the matter is he played poorly this year and it was a tryout to see if this regime thought he was the QB to move forward with. He leads the league in interceptions and has been AWFUL in the red zone and has taken no responsibility for how the year has gone. He works hard and really seems to care, but he has shown no accountability. He has said other guys are at fault for not caring enough and even after the Steelers game he took no responsibility in the postgame presser when he played absolutely terrible and was the biggest reason they lost that game with the season on the line. The person to blame for Carr being gone is Carr.
The whackos on the inner tubes screaming “mcD made carr fail on purpose! McD is trying to destroy the raiders!” Are special.

With all the drama around Carr, Adams gets lost in the discussion. He came to Vegas just to play with him. He’s now stuck in Vegas no matter what happens for at least another year right? This is going to sound wild, but crazier things have happened, is there any possibility to reunite Rodgers with Adams in Vegas?
I don’t want to see Brady or Rodgers in LV. I don’t see the point. The team needs rebuilt. It’s not just a QB problem. Carr failed some games but you aren’t winning consistently with a horrible D.

I don’t want Lamar either. As mentioned above and as others have said, the Raiders are not just a QB away from greatness. Everyone has to be prepared for some ugly Browns/Lions/Texans years ahead. The Raiders need to keep all of their draft picks and sell off any players to obtain more draft capital. And, most importantly, actuality draft smart for the first time in forever. It’s the poor personnel management over the last decade that got us here and only great personnel management is going to get us out of it.

I expect a few coaching and GM changes during the rebuilding too. That’s just how it goes.

It’s the poor personnel management over the last decade that got us here and only great personnel management is going to get us out of it.

I agree with this and have ZERO hope for it happening as long as Bowl Cut is in control. Junior did good to get the team to Vegas, but he's blown every single personnel move he's made. Time to see that for what it is. I'm expecting the Raiders to be terrible for the next decade or more until he is ready to give up the ship - maybe once mamma Davis passes and he's hit with inhertance tax.

The NFL wants control of this team and they will eventually have it. What comes next, who knows, but I suspect at that point - and not a minute earlier - the league will finally lift the curse of Al le Giant.

NE is the only team to win multiple super bowls in forever. The giants are the other. It’s just not easy. And your opinion of Carr is higher than mine. I think he and jimmy g are similar. You playing at qb could win games with the 49ers
You are assuming my gout isn't flaring up.

I think there are a number of things in this situation that can be true at the same time while seeminh odds too.

The Raiders are making a smart financial decision protecting themselves from a player that deserves a new opportunity.

The loss of Carr likely brings another run of poor QBs. I don't know enough about Ziegler, and don't trust McDaniels, to know if they will find an upgrade.

McDaniels has seemed to fail to run an offense with the talent he had on the field. I blame him more than I do Carr. A coach needs to be able to adjust to the talent on his team and I haven't seen that from him.

I think the handling of it could sour players on the team. I'd bet that Adams isn't a Raider in 2023. They have a nice young core. Really hope this isn't a turning point where free agents don't want to be a Raiders, and our current up comers don't decide to bail.

I do like the idea of seeing young guys on the team in live game action to close out the season, at all spots.

I was and am a fan of Carr. I respected how he represented himself and the Raiders on and off the field. I wish him nothing but success to close out his career. Wish his time with the Raiders didn't end in this fashion. But it has.

Now the focus moves on to hoping that McDaniels finds an answer, as hinted above, I have my doubts.

i have confidence in you! just hand it off. you can do it!

Michael Silver breaks it down and it’s not pretty

TL/DR, it’s a cheapskate move. If Carr gets hurt in the last 2 games they’re on the hook for $40M

If they cut him next year it’s only a ~5M cap hit.
I can't read the article, but cheapskate move?
If this regime wants to move on from Carr it's the smart move. Who would want to potentially be stuck with a guy they have decided to move on from?
How come? It’s not paywalled. Weird.

Raiders defensive ranks since Derek Carr's first season in 2014

Rank

Points per Game 32nd

Yards per Play 30th

Sacks 32nd

Interceptions 32nd

Rush Touchdowns 31st

Pass Touchdowns 30th

4th Down Conv % 31st

If we just had any other QB other than Carr think of all the SB's we would have won!!!

i have confidence in you! just hand it off. you can do it!
To be fair, even with a gout flair up I would still be better than Jimmy G

Rank

Points per Game 32nd

Yards per Play 30th

Sacks 32nd

Interceptions 32nd

Rush Touchdowns 31st

Pass Touchdowns 30th

4th Down Conv % 31st

If we just had any other QB other than Carr think of all the SB's we would have won!!!
we know, we know.... :rolleyes: :lmao:

something must be done though. this team needs a ton of players. 4 dudes at 10M might, might be better than DC and the current disaster. which has been ongoing for the entirety of DC's career. he's a decent qb. he's a great guy. something's got to change.

Rank

Points per Game 32nd

Yards per Play 30th

Sacks 32nd

Interceptions 32nd

Rush Touchdowns 31st

Pass Touchdowns 30th

4th Down Conv % 31st

I haven't seen anyone dispute that the Raiders have had very bad defenses while Carr has been here that have absolutely affected his ability to win.

But bad defenses aren't the reason he has the most interceptions in the NFL over the last two seasons or the reason he has been poor in the red zone his entire career or the reason he is skittish and bad when pressured.

He has the NFL's leading rusher in Jacobs and they went and got him Adams and still he has played very poorly this year. He has a coach that helped Mac Jones look like the best rookie QB last year and made Matt Cassell look like a great QB. He was given everything he needed to play well this year and he just hasn't. He was outplayed by an average rookie QB in a must win game in Pittsburgh. I think it was DA RAIDERS that pointed out that we all said this was a make or break year for him. That's right and it was and he came up very small. Time to move on.

The chemistry between the Raiders and Carr is all wrong, no matter how bad we want it to be better ,it just isnt. Its like a relationship between 2 great people but together they just dont click . The Raiders need to find the right partner that can lead this team . I hate that its all wrong because i love Carr`s loyalty and enthusiasm for the team , hes a true Raider at heart , he literally bleeds silver and black.

Time to give up , its best for everyone involved , i just hate that he is going out like this , he should be playing out the string. Instead they have gone into preseason mode seeing what they have for next season, i understand why , it still sucks tho .

If Derek Carr decides to play for another team next season, we all know what’s coming right?
He’s going destroy the Raiders in a Prime Time game, that would be the most Raider thing to ever happen to the Raiders and I will not be surprised one bit when it happens.

If Derek Carr decides to play for another team next season, we all know what’s coming right?
He’s going destroy the Raiders in a Prime Time game, that would be the most Raider thing to ever happen to the Raiders and I will not be surprised one bit when it happens.
Everyone is going to destroy the Raiders next season and that is how it must be. I hope it is actually for something though and the team is competitive in a few years.

Is anybody clear on the details of his contract and timing of the open trade market in the NFL? I think, and could be wrong, that the guaranteed money kicks in before the trading window opens. If Carr waves the no trade clause, would he also have to renegotiate his contract in order to allow the team to trade him?

I guess the root of my question is if there really is a chance to trade him? Or are we really looking at when the team would simply release him?

Is anybody clear on the details of his contract and timing of the open trade market in the NFL? I think, and could be wrong, that the guaranteed money kicks in before the trading window opens. If Carr waves the no trade clause, would he also have to renegotiate his contract in order to allow the team to trade him?

I guess the root of my question is if there really is a chance to trade him? Or are we really looking at when the team would simply release him?
I believe they will most likely have to cut him. This is all about $40.4 million. That is the only way Davis can guarantee he won’t have to fork over the money.
To trade him they will need a lot of cooperation from Carr (no trade clause) and a trade partner willing to pay the $40 million. Good luck with that at this point.

You are correct Bruno. Adding some color, my understanding is the directive came from Tommy boy because he was upset about Carr’s play. It really magnifies Davis’ ineptness. There are plenty of needy teams that would be more than willing to scoop up Carr for a pick or two. Even if he got hurt I believe he would still command some draft capital.

All Tommy boy did was piss Carr off making less likely he would be amenable to a trade. And if the real root of the problem is money then the Raiders will likely have to cut Carr and get nothing in return.

It is gonna get worse.

You are correct Bruno. Adding some color, my understanding is the directive came from Tommy boy because he was upset about Carr’s play. It really magnifies Davis’ ineptness. There are plenty of needy teams that would be more than willing to scoop up Carr for a pick or two. Even if he got hurt I believe he would still command some draft capital.

All Tommy boy did was piss Carr off making less likely he would be amenable to a trade. And if the real root of the problem is money then the Raiders will likely have to cut Carr and get nothing in return.

It is gonna get worse.
Everyone knows how the contract is structured. No team was going to jump the gun and just give the raiders whatever in trade. They would wait and force their hand.

This benching is for one thing only. To ensure that he’s not hurt at the end of this season. Which would guarantee his salary next year. Which handcuffs the raiders. This gives them options, which also allows for the possibility of bringing him back. :eek:

I didn't think the Colts would be able to get draft capital for Wentz after everyone knew they were moving on from him or that the Jaguars would be able to get draft capital for Nick Foles after everyone knew they would do anything to get rid of him......but both did. Teams do not always behave rationally when trading for a QB they think might be better than what they currently have.

I didn't think the Colts would be able to get draft capital for Wentz after everyone knew they were moving on from him or that the Jaguars would be able to get draft capital for Nick Foles after everyone knew they would do anything to get rid of him......but both did. Teams do not always behave rationally when trading for a QB they think might be better than what they currently have.
Anything is possible and on the table at this point. But what has happened here is completely unprecedented as far as I know. Not only was DC benched but he was sent home, basically taking the rest of the year off.
It doesn’t take rocket scientist to figure out he ain’t coming back. He’s probably more upset about how he’s being treated than what’s being portrayed in public, there’s no way he’ll ever wear the Silver and Black again. This is a 100% a business decision. McD knows what he has in Stidham, it’s all a cover for his boss Tommy Boy.
As far as trading Carr, they’re going to need a miracle. I see two teams who feel like they’re an average QB away from a playoff run. That’s the Jets and Colts (maybe Saints). Then they’ll need a pissed off and emotional Carr to waiver his no trade clause and then they’ll need for one of those teams to offer Carr a contract comparable to what he signed last offseason with the Raiders to make it worthwhile for him to not retire.
If I were Carr, I’d only waive my no trade clause if I was sure a good team wanted me and was willing to pay me. If not, I’d force the Raiders to cut me and let it play out sort of like the Mayfield situation last off season.

It is gonna get worse.
Everyone knows how the contract is structured. No team was going to jump the gun and just give the raiders whatever in trade. They would wait and force their hand.

This benching is for one thing only. To ensure that he’s not hurt at the end of this season. Which would guarantee his salary next year. Which handcuffs the raiders. This gives them options, which also allows for the possibility of bringing him back. :eek:

I do not agree that "everyone knows how the contract is structured." I am comfortable saying I do not know all the details or ramifications. For instance, IF the Raiders decide to pick up Carr's contract and then trade him, who is on the hook for the guaranteed money?

Regardless of the answer to my question, if they let Carr simply walk it would be a new level of ineptness by Tommy boy.

my understanding is the directive came from Tommy boy because he was upset about Carr’s play
I truly think it's a bit more nuanced than this.

Davis may have eventually gave the order but my guess is that is after multiple discussions over course of the season with McDaniels who likely relayed to Davis at some point, multiple times, that Carr was not the answer and the team needed to look for a different QB. I do not think Davis just pulled the rug out from under McDaniels but it was a conclusion they both arrived at.

Everything I've heard about Carr is that he's, loyal, a good guy, and an excellent teammate.
I think he deserves another chance.
---------------------------------------------------
Probably what Adams is thinking >>> Picture

It is gonna get worse.

I do not agree that "everyone knows how the contract is structured." I am comfortable saying I do not know all the details or ramifications. For instance, IF the Raiders decide to pick up Carr's contract and then trade him, who is on the hook for the guaranteed money?

Regardless of the answer to my question, if they let Carr simply walk it would be a new level of ineptness by Tommy boy.
I don’t know all the details but there’s a very small window after the Super Bowl that if he’s not cut or injured he’s guaranteed the $40.4 million. Now, they can trade him BUT it’s my understanding that Davis would be on the hook for the $40 mil until the trading period begins. Whatever team plans to trade for Carr will probably have a stipulation in the deal with Davis that they will pay that money to Carr, or at least most of it I’d guess. Davis would be putting a lot of trust in that other front office not to back out between the end of the Super Bowl and when the trading period begins. It’s going to be tough to find a team to do that. If no one wanted to pick up Jimmy G’s and Baker Mayfield’s salaries last year at half the cost of Carr’s, I don’t see anyone doing that this year. Davis might be forced to cut him if he wants to guarantee he never has to pay the $40.4.

It is gonna get worse.

Everyone knows when the contract kicks in, the amount, the dates, etc. can they finagle that? Sure. If there’s a wiling partner. if other teams are smart, they’ll force the raiders to cut him. But as icon said above, weird things happen when it comes to qbs.

Users who are viewing this thread