What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 RB Lotto Ticket Rankings (1 Viewer)

daylight

Footballguy
And we're back!

In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 we had a thread that folks seemed to find valuable so I am starting another version for 2022 - it's a living, ongoing list of potential King Makers at RB - the idea is to be PREEMPTIVE on RBs most likely sitting on the Waiver Wire (depending upon league size, sharks or guppies, etc.). The definition of this thread is generally re-draft.

To paraphrase @TZMarkie from 2016: "This is for re-draft and we are looking for the ones with the best combination of availability, upside and possibility of a big workload. That combination would likely give the average owner the best chance at hitting the "lottery ticket RB" that could change an owners season...The point is, regardless of however you see it, and whatever your league preference and/or breakdown may be, in most cases a typical owner (think redraft with 5-7 bench spots) will only be able to truly "take a shot" on one or two of these guys".

To paraphrase @Interseptopus from 2019: "A lotto ticket, to me, costs almost nothing, and is easily expendable for the next lotto ticket, but has potential to win you your season. ... Lotto tickets, in my mind, are easily cut from one week to the next."

Editor note about the spirit of this list: While TZMarkie and Interseptopus defined "what a LOTTO is" opinions and league sizes vary. This list is meant to be a cast a wide net review as a tool to make your own judgement calls. Then make your own rankings. Please share if you're willing. Some RBs are included in the event of a very shallow league. Others are included in case a frustrated owner drops him during a bye week crunch. Again, wide net.

P.S. I want to give a shout out to @SameSongNDance for starting this annual tradition back in 2016!

And I thank the following past prolific contributors not mentioned earlier (If I forgot anyone I apologize in advance):

@4th and Inches - @Ack88 - @bicycle_seat_sniffer - @Buck Bradcanon - @BobbyLayne - @Casting Couch - @Chaka - @cloppbeast

@davearm - @Faust - @Football Jones - @hamsterdam - @hardcoredx - @Hot Sauce Guy - @Iceman03 - @IHEARTFF

@Ilov80s - @JFS171 - @joey - @leftcoastheel - @Long Ball Larry - @MindBomb - @Patrick the Pirate - @pinkham13 - @Snorkelson

@SoBeDad - @socrates - @Stompin' Tom Connors - @Ted Lange as your Bartender - @The Dude - @worrierking - @Wooderson

@zamboni

Many thanks to @Hartliner for putting the list together for us!

CANDIDATES for the Season Changing – King Maker List - by division
I'll Asterisk the team with the Kingmaker *

As of Saturday Oct. 22 - 8 AM

AFC East

*BUF -
James Cook he is the best bet now at its not close. stash/monitor
Zack Moss barring injury the dream is dead. Healthy inactive is super clear to me

MIA –
Raheem Mostert is the guy for now,
Chase Edmonds borderline droppable but if injury add him back there is a loyal following for him but the Identity of the Dolphins is a pass funnel YAC vacuum with the WRs IMO.

*NEP - (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Stevenson and Harris are already rostered. Injury makes the king

*NYJ – Upgraded to Kingmaker
Breece Hall is the clear winner.
Michael Carter stash/monitor

AFC North

*BAL
– (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Gus 'Bus' Edwards - Bonus points since easy to stash if you have I.R. slot and J.K. Dobbins is far from the picture of health.(now injured)
Dark horse could be Justice Hill/Kenyan Drake/Mike Davis but like years past this backfield is RBBC and everyone is capped to be at most highend RB2s.

CIN – Downgraded from Kingmaker
Samaje Perine and Chris Evans formulate a RBBC at best here. I think Samaje wins that split but for some reason seems to be at best a flex.

CLE – Downgraded from Kingmaker
D'Ernest Johnson and Jerome Ford barring injury or unlikely trade. monitor

PIT – Downgraded from Kingmaker
Jaylen Warren still a must roster for anyone w/ Najae. Already forcing a split but this offense no longer seems to be kingmaker just because its so low powered.

AFC South

HOU - (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Rex Burkhead is the definitive handcuff yet only monitor.

*IND – Upgraded to Kingmaker
Deon Johnson needs to be monitored/stashed and would be a lowend RB1 if JT goes out.
Nyheim Hines is flex play

*JAC – Upgraded to Kingmaker
Travis Etienne and James Robinson are now in a split and Injury makes the king.

TEN -
Dontrell Hilliard has that nice COP role and
Hassan Haskins has that 1/2 down role that is less appealing. This team really doesn't seem to be one I would like to invest in.

AFC West

DEN – Downgraded Kingmaker
Gordon/Murray/Boone are all so unappealing Boone has the juice but I wouldn’t bother with this mess. I miss Javonte.

*KCC -
Isiah Pacheco is still the fave to be a league winner for me.
J McKinnon is that COP with consistent low end flex value and

*LVR
-
Zamir White is another frontrunner. Ameer and Bolden top out as COP.

LAC -
Joshua Kelley is the main frontrunner now despite being injured would have been kingmaker but not atm monitor and add back once he is healthy. Sony Michel/Isaiah Spiller are a COP.

NFC East

*DAL
- (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Tony Pollard yep layup.

NYG - (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Matt Breida is not the answer. Most likely would be someone not on the roster.

PHI -
Kenneth Gainwell/Boston Scott/Trey Sermon no distinction between them. RBBC

*WAS
Antonio Gibson frontrunner and just the more dynamic player in my eyes
J.D. McKissic COP

NFC North (Most possible KingMaker Division)

*CHI - (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Khalil Herbert is already most likely rostered in leagues.
Trestan Ebner COP

*DET -
Jamaal Williams top coveted handcuff with injury prone starter
Craig Reynolds and Justin Jackson are 'just a guy' aka JAGs

*GBP – Upgraded to Kingmaker
AJ Dillon in a split that I thought would be better so this upgrade is prolyl due to not meeting expectations.
Kylin Hill COP

*MIN -
Alexander Mattison Grass is green, water is wet. It’s a given he is a kingmaker
Kene Nwangwu COP

NFC South

*ATL
- (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Tyler Allgeier is strongly the play here we already know Patterson is not a heavy workload RB.
Damien Williams gets points if you can get him in the IR but meh, kind of uninspiring as a lotto.

CAR – (We’ll know more this week, Roster em both if you can)
Chubba Hubbard stunk last year, I don't like him and even the depth chart lists
D'Onta Foreman as the backup. I can be swayed to Chubba but the Offense is also really weak these guys at best might be flex plays and not really worth roster but can be watched.

NO - (No updates really needed this one was nailed)
Mark Ingram and Dwayne Washington RBBC.

*TBB
Raachaad White must stash caliber RB and league winner

NFC West

*ARI
- Upgraded to Kingmaker
Eno Benjamin much better than anticipated. Forcing a split on Conner’s return too

*LAR – Upgraded to Kingmaker
Darrell Henderson Jr. actively a kingmaker this is me going out on a limb, but I feel he is going to be a RB2 ROS w/o a threat atm.
Kyren Williams is another savvy IR stash. But he will be a COP.

SF - Downgraded from Kingmaker
Jeff Wilson, Eli Mitchell, TDP,Jordan Mason all are RBBC backups now from CMC Trade fallout.

*SEA – I was wrong(in general about SEA) but mentioned I could be swayed
Kenneth Walker should be already rostered.
DeeJay Dallas preferred COP
Tony Jones COP

Congrats if you read the whole thing! 18 possible Kingmakers.

Last edited:
Kyren Williams -- Akers is still not ready, and when he returned late last season, he did not look good. We have yet to see a RB return effectively from a ruptured achilles tendon, so the jury is still out. Henderson has struggled with injuries himself, and I have never sensed he was a volume back. Enter the rookie, who, despite his size, proved to be a workhorse back at Notre Dame.

Dontrell Hilliard -- Hilliard has some stand-alone value as the Titans' third-down back, but his real value is as the relief back behind Henry.

Kyren Williams -- Akers is still not ready, and when he returned late last season, he did not look good. We have yet to see a RB return effectively from a ruptured achilles tendon, so the jury is still out. Henderson has struggled with injuries himself, and I have never sensed he was a volume back. Enter the rookie, who, despite his size, proved to be a workhorse back at Notre Dame.
Perfectly said. This all day.

Perfectly said. This all day.
but he himself is recovering from a broken foot, no? aside from Bettis, name me one ND RB to amount to a hill of beans in the NFL in the past 30 years. anyone can be a workhorse back at ND against such juggernauts as south dakota central west state, or texarkana polytech south western U. ND plays creampuff teams and when they play legit competition they get absolutely smoked.every time. I'll take Henderson all day. proven commodity when he plays, he produces.

a couple of lotto tix I'll add.
Michael Carter
R. Penny - no one wants him but all he does is produce in a big way when he's able to play.
Nyheim Hines - 70 recs easily in 2022.

Michael Carter
R. Penny - no one wants him but all he does is produce in a big way when he's able to play.
Nyheim Hines - 70 recs easily in 2022.
All great pickups. But personally have them all to high up to consider a True lotto ticket. I’m sure everyone’s definition is different.

Michael Carter had a solid year last year (4.3 yards per carry)… I’m not sure why everyone thinks Breece just makes him go away.

KJ Osborn will win some leagues this year imo.

Zach Moss in that post hype spot also.

Kenyan Drake obviously.

Allegier is my pick. I feel he has the clearest path to carries. Patterson is getting old and was never a featured back. He looked slow and broken down at the end of the year. Could of been the ankle or could have been age/accumulation of hits.

I also like the kyren Williams pick. Not a believer in akers or Henderson. Both get injured and don't look amazing.

I will be keeping a close eye on these RBs who are currently listed as 3rd or lower on their team's depth chart,

Ford (Cle)
Snoop Connor (Jax)
Isaiah Spiller (SD)

I might add a few more before the season begins.

I will be keeping a close eye on these RBs who are currently listed as 3rd or lower on their team's depth chart,

Ford (Cle)
Snoop Connor (Jax)
Isaiah Spiller (SD)

Speculation in Cleveland is keeping 5 RBs might be an indication they’re hoping to move either Kareem or D’Ernest to shore up WR/TE depth.

Johnson has looked really good the last two years when either of the Top 2 guys has missed time.

Deejay Dallas - if/when Penny misses a game or more and Ken Walker still has some health issues himself - enter Deejay and 3 down back workhorse.

Myles Gaskin - completely overlooked now

R White TB - Lenny misses anytime you have a RB3/2

Ford (Cle)
Snoop Connor (Jax)
Isaiah Spiller (SD)

Speculation in Cleveland is keeping 5 RBs might be an indication they’re hoping to move either Kareem or D’Ernest to shore up WR/TE depth.

Johnson has looked really good the last two years when either of the Top 2 guys has missed time.
I like Johnson as well, but he's been on everyone's radar since last season's big game.

Trestan Ebner in PPR.
He's arbitrage James Cook, a fast explosive rookie with very good receiving chops. Only the target totem pole in Chicago is even more open, and Ebner had better receiving numbers (target share, yards per route) than Cook. And has a bit better bmi.
I'm not drafting him in redraft, but I'm keeping an eye to see if he can overtake the #2 job and carve out a passing game role.

Isiah Spiller has to work his way up the depth chart, but he could really do well if Ekeler goes down.

Pretty underwhelming training camp was the last thing I read about him. Has anything changed of late?
He just returned to practice after missing two weeks from a sprained ankle. He does seem to have had an underwhelming camp. but seems to have some talent and neither Kelley not Rountree seemed to take advantage of their opportunity to get touches the past few years.

Isiah Spiller has to work his way up the depth chart, but he could really do well if Ekeler goes down.

Pretty underwhelming training camp was the last thing I read about him. Has anything changed of late?
He just returned to practice after missing two weeks from a sprained ankle. He does seem to have had an underwhelming camp. but seems to have some talent and neither Kelley not Rountree seemed to take advantage of their opportunity to get touches the past few years.

Just parroting what I’ve read on Chargers fan sites - yep, Kelly is JAG. What does it say about Spiller that he didn’t immediately snat h the rule away?

Players develop and grow. There’s def an opportunity for Spiller to carve out a role.

Isaiah Spiller has to work his way up the depth chart, but he could really do well if Ekeler goes down.
I cut him for Drake yesterday just to share what I think he's worth. I wanted to keep him but I also didn't hear he was tearing up camp either. I'm hoping Drake sticks there and can be part of a 2-back system when the rest get healthy. He also can catch passes and they are lacking WRs right now.

Deejay Dallas - if/when Penny misses a game or more and Ken Walker still has some health issues himself - enter Deejay and 3 down back workhorse.

I like all 3 of these guys in doses but I've watched Gaskin come in with 3 new RBs on the roster, 5 actually with Rookies that were invited and he managed to make the cuts.

1800+ scrimmage yds and 12 TDs over 27 games the last 2 seasons with a poor poor OL, he looks much better this preseason.
But Chase is the RB1, Mostert about 1 out every 3 drives but they will need Gaskin to spell both of them sometimes. I see Miami wanting to run the ball a lot to make play action easy for Tua.

Just parroting what I’ve read on Chargers fan sites - yep, Kelly is JAG. What does it say about Spiller that he didn’t immediately snat h the rule away?

Players develop and grow. There’s def an opportunity for Spiller to carve out a role.
I did read that Sony Michel is coming in for a workout with the Chargers. If he signs, that could be the dagger for Spiller, at least this year.

What do you all think of Isaiah Pacheco in KC behind a constantly underwhelming CEH and Ronald Jones?
Definitely a good dart throw, I think, and qualifies for this thread. Problem is you also have the trusted McKinnon there, so it will take a lot of pieces to fall in place for Pacheco to carve out a big role.

What do you all think of Isaiah Pacheco in KC behind a constantly underwhelming CEH and Ronald Jones?
Definitely a good dart throw, I think, and qualifies for this thread. Problem is you also have the trusted McKinnon there, so it will take a lot of pieces to fall in place for Pacheco to carve out a big role.
I've never been impressed with CEH. Any chance he and Pacheco swap roles? It's probably just going to be a mess and we won't be able to trust anyone in that backfield barring injury.

I did read that Sony Michel is coming in for a workout with the Chargers. If he signs, that could be the dagger for Spiller, at least this year.
Michel was indeed signed by the Chargers, so doesn’t look promising for Spiller this year. Michel may not be a world beater, but he can be the grinder they’ve been looking for to take some of the workload off Ekeler’s shoulders.

Did Jeff Wilson struggle last year in fill in duty? Not being sarcastic I really can't remember. Mason is a interesting add if so

Where does Damien Williams fall here, because I just grabbed him for free, and I think he's ATL's RB1
I’m curious as well, he’s on waivers in my league. Everything I’ve heard is Patterson is the RB1. Allgeier third behind Williams.. seems like an easy depth chart to climb, but allgeier didn’t climb it.

Seems like a bad team. Patterson is the explosive/ pass catcher. Not sure of Williams upside even if he has a decent size role. How’s he as a pass catcher.

Dallas had a nice pre season, but from I have seen/read is that Travis Homer is the guy.

If Penny plays 14+ games I think he qualifies. Because he will be a 9-10 round pick that pays off as a high end RB2. At worst. Probably better.

From what I heard from a Atl fan is their coach always makes rookies earn it on the depth chart. I wouldn't look to much into the depth chart. My money is on allegier being number two.

Edit: Drake London is listed as number 3 on the depth chart for wr. Think that is the case as well?

Did Jeff Wilson struggle last year in fill in duty? Not being sarcastic I really can't remember. Mason is a interesting add if so
Jeff Wilson actually looked decent at times last season when filling in. (Think low end RB 2-ish)
I was just telling another buddy he would be a good bench stash in case injury sets in.
Now that Sermon is off preaching to the choir somewhere after getting cut, Wilson has even MORE appeal.

:football:

Jordan Mason. The 9ers have had a different leading rusher every single season since Shannahan has been there. This year I think it could be Mason. He fits the system perfectly and has the size to hopefully hold up in this run heavy offense. He also might already have the best receiving skills in the rb room so he might be their 3rd down back with the release of Hasty. He made him and Sermon expendable IMO.

Pacheco. I’m real high on him and the film don’t lie. He is a tough runner that has some burst through the hole. He also has some really nice receiving skills which will get him on the field in year 1. I think he takes this job.

Jordan Mason. The 9ers have had a different leading rusher every single season since Shannahan has been there. This year I think it could be Mason. He fits the system perfectly and has the size to hopefully hold up in this run heavy offense. He also might already have the best receiving skills in the rb room so he might be their 3rd down back with the release of Hasty. He made him and Sermon expendable IMO.

Can you go a little deeper into the receiving part as that would be a big thing...he only had 1,7,8,10 receptions at Georgia Tech (by the way his stats there are pretty odd in general) so is this something that he is flashing during camp?

From what I read from beat reporters is that he could be the best receiving back and is a natural pass catcher. They used him a ton on passing down in the preseason finale.

The 17 yard run he had against the Vikings made me a believer. He fits the system perfectly and I’m sure the coaching staff loves him. They want a no nonsense runner who can find the crease and make defenders pay for trying to tackle him. He checks all those boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread