What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: end of bench player on Knicks roster feeling self-conscious about not having crippling, season-ending injury (62 Viewers)

I'm sorry, but Tatum is (per usual) playing like ### come the playoffs. Boston not winning a chip unless he figures his crap out (and KP returns).

Honestly I'm ready to hand the keys to the franchise over to Jaylen cause he's wanted the alpha dog role forever, and unlike Tatum he actually plays like it.

Since the playoffs, Tatum shooting 41% from the field to Brown's 55%. Tatum has 1 game shooting .500 or above (it's .500), while Brown has 1 game shooting below .500.

Tired of waiting for consistent play from Tatum, it's just not gonna happen and he's not that guy. I'm more convinced of it than ever at this point.

I'm sorry, but Tatum is (per usual) playing like ### come the playoffs. Boston not winning a chip unless he figures his crap out (and KP returns).

Honestly I'm ready to hand the keys to the franchise over to Jaylen cause he's wanted the alpha dog role forever, and unlike Tatum he actually plays like it.

Since the playoffs, Tatum shooting 41% from the field to Brown's 55%. Tatum has 1 game shooting .500 or above (it's .500), while Brown has 1 game shooting below .500.

Tired of waiting for consistent play from Tatum, it's just not gonna happen and he's not that guy. I'm more convinced of it than ever at this point.

The Pistons will trade you everything, but Cade for him. Right now

Meh. He's not MJ or even ( :yucky: ) Kobe, but this team is good enough that he doesn't need to be. He can be Chuncey Billups or Gus Williams...just slightly the best player on a great, balanced team.

They won by almost 30 dude

Foul trouble killed Dallas, really limited defensive aggression late 3rd early 4th. Williams had some BIG buckets early 4th to create some separation on the scoreboard. Luka with a rough game. Dallas also too many turnovers, and a bunch of them really dumb, unforced ones.

Holmgren looked great at the rim on defense. Made things tough.

Luka not healthy. And they just let guys body him all game again in a way that is not permitted at all with SGA. That was frustrating. Another 1-8 style 3 point land game for a guy who was way better than that all season and all last season.

Meh. He's not MJ or even ( :yucky: ) Kobe, but this team is good enough that he doesn't need to be. He can be Chuncey Billups or Gus Williams...just slightly the best player on a great, balanced team.
Love it....
In full disclosure, I had originally typed Dennis Johnson, but then looked up the team stats for that year and realized Gus was their leading scorer and easily had the best advanced stats for the season.

It's just so frustrating to me watching old ****ty vets play because they can execute a system but to no positive outcome over higher variance young guys (Julian Strawther is another guy I would rather see over Jackson or Holiday) that might actually make things better.
Ain't that the truth. NBA coaches love their vet blankies. Happens across the league every season. Love it when a GM trades away a bench vet midseason and I wonder if it's just so the head coach will now be forced to play a young player.

Love it....
In full disclosure, I had originally typed Dennis Johnson, but then looked up the team stats for that year and realized Gus was their leading scorer and easily had the best advanced stats for the season.
Yep, I was there at the time

Ollllllddddd

Luka not healthy. And they just let guys body him all game again in a way that is not permitted at all with SGA. That was frustrating. Another 1-8 style 3 point land game for a guy who was way better than that all season and all last season.
I couldn't stay up past the 1st qtr last night, but looking at the box score....ooof, Luka.

Shooting splits of 31.6/12.5/60 and asst/to of 9:5 is not good. Based on my quick/dirty analysis I like to do, Luka used 29 possessions to score 19 points which is .655 ppp. For comparison, Tatum's "bad" game last night was 18 pts on 22 possessions used for a ppp of .818, which isn't good. A decent game is 1.0 and obviously over that is great. D-White was a 1.56 ppp last night which is super high for a guy that took more than just a handful of shots.

The score was tied after the 1st quarter and I thought Luka looked good and Kyrie was a disaster (all 4 of KI's TOs were in the 1st). Looks like Kyrie settled down but Luka fell apart as the game wore on.

Last edited:
Do you think OKC is underrated? #1 seed cruising through the playoffs (albeit against injured teams) and has one of the best players in the world yet I rarely hear them mentioned as a legit title contender.

Do you think OKC is underrated? #1 seed cruising through the playoffs (albeit against injured teams) and has one of the best players in the world yet I rarely hear them mentioned as a legit title contender.
I don't think they're overrated, they're just currently overlooked because they haven't played a contending opponent that they've dominated. In contrast, Minnesota deservedly gets attention for sweeping a good Phoenix team and going 2-0 on the road against the defending champs and Boston - who is also cruising through the playoffs - has been the perennial favorite all year.

Maybe a little, but teams don't just have a ton of playoff success right away without a lot of luck or if they are a veteran team that all comes together.

Look at the recent champs and runner up

Denver vs Miami. Miami had been to the finals and Denver had been to a conference finals.

Golden State vs Boston. Boston had been to multiple conference finals

Milwaukee vs Phoenix. Milwaukee had won several series in previous years. Phoenix is the outlier, but everyone they played was injured that year. Lakers lost AD, Denver lost Murray and Porter or Gordon, Clipper lost Kawhi

Lakers vs Miami. Bubble year that was odd, but still Lakers were lead by AD and Lebron who were both playoff tested and Butler led the Heat

Then it is a bunch of Warriors, Spurs, and Lebron led teams. Even the Warriors dynasty lost in the second round and then the first round before they broke through.

I couldn't stay up past the 1st qtr last night, but looking at the box score....ooof, Luka.

Shooting splits of 31.6/12.5/60 and asst/to of 9:5 is not good. Based on my quick/dirty analysis I like to do, Luka used 29 possessions to score 19 points which is .655 ppp. For comparison, Tatum's "bad" game last night was 18 pts on 22 possessions used for a ppp of .818, which isn't good. A decent game is 1.0 and obviously over that is great. D-White was a 1.56 ppp last night which is super high for a guy that took more than just a handful of shots.

The score was tied after the 1st quarter and I thought Luka looked good and Kyrie was a disaster (all 4 of KI's TOs were in the 1st). Looks like Kyrie settled down but Luka fell apart as the game wore on.
Luka spends a lot more possessions on the ball by design but I thought Kyrie was a bit more savvy in how drove with the ball as the game wore on. He was also wide open on a few of Luka's drives.

I honestly don't know what to make of things. As it's played out Boston, Minny and OKC seem to be the obvious bet to have the champ come from those 3.

Cavs, Pacers, Knicks, - those 3 just aren't good enough so C's kind of get a walk to the Finals (or so it seems)

Denver, Dallas - I'm not counting out the champs just yet but if they lose game 3 I think it's over - and honestly I think it already is. Dallas - I never thought they could win it all but still could see them giving OKC a series.

If you told me to rank the underratedness as of today for the remaining teams it would go:

1. Minny - they look great, and no one is underrating them at the moment
  2. Boston - best team all year and most everyone still believes
  3. Cavs - they aren't being underrated because they aren't really that good
  4. Knicks - they are feisty and could give the C's a few good games
  5. Denver - would have them higher but I think folks writing them off may be right with the injuries they have and Jokic seems maybe tired
  6. Pacers - should have won game 1 and have a fairly deep rotation
  7. Dallas - could win just about any series, just not deep enough and Luka is hurt but still really good so slightly underrated if Luka is good to go.
  8. OKC - #1 seed in the West and playing great. Mostly healthy. Only thing missing is playoff experience but that doesn't seem like it would be a factor until the Finals (if they advance and play Minny next).

People forget the Pacers are doing this without a reasonably consistent 20ppg scorer in Mathurin. He was huge off the bench for them all season before he got hurt.

They are missing a physical big as well as Mathurin. Their bigs get beat up on the boards alot (guards make up for alot of rebounding) and they go for spans where they have trouble getting a basket, which is where Mathurin was great. Someone like Jalen Duren would be a huge help.

A full scale Milwaukee team woulda beat us for sure, but I think we are better than NY and Cleveland right now, but a tier down from Milwaukee and a couple tiers from Boston.

Only 5 teams have come back from being the home team and going down 0-2

-2021 Clippers over Mavs
-2017 Celtics over Bulls
-2005 Mavs over Rockets
-1994 Rockets over Suns
-1969 Lakers over Rockets

-2021 Clippers over Mavs
-2017 Celtics over Bulls
-2005 Mavs over Rockets
-1994 Rockets over Suns
I feel like the Nuggets are the 94 Rockets.

-2021 Clippers over Mavs
-2017 Celtics over Bulls
-2005 Mavs over Rockets
-1994 Rockets over Suns

Wasn't this the SF Warriors?

Probably. The San Diego Rockets were just an expansion team around that time and likely not playoff contenders.
Wiki shows that the Rockets made it to the playoffs for the first time that year.

Got beat by the Atlanta Hawks, 4-2

-2021 Clippers over Mavs
-2017 Celtics over Bulls
-2005 Mavs over Rockets
-1994 Rockets over Suns
I feel like the Nuggets are the 94 Rockets.

Defending champs but that Rockets team was a 6th seed and not really given a chance. All praise due to Mario Elie and the kiss of death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yivg4g1Ol1c

I can hear Rudy T's words right now

Users who are viewing this thread