What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: end of bench player on Knicks roster feeling self-conscious about not having crippling, season-ending injury (71 Viewers)

Did I just read that 8 of Lebron’s 9 head coaches were fired during his tenure? All but Spo? Doesn’t seem right.
I'm only seeing 5. I guess we could count 6 if we count interim coach Brendan Malone, but that seems silly to include

2003/2004 - CLE Paul Silas
2004/2005 - CLE Paul Silas fired mideason, interim coach Brendan Malone
2005/2006 - CLE Mike Brown
2006/2007 - CLE Mike Brown
2007/2008 - CLE Mike Brown
2008/2009 - CLE Mike Brown
2009/2010 - CLE Mike Brown
2010/2011 - MIA Erik Spoelstra
2011/2012 - MIA Erik Spoelstra
2012/2013 - MIA Erik Spoelstra
2013/2014 - MIA Erik Spoelstra
2014/2015 - CLE David Blatt
2015/2016 - CLE David Blatt fired midseason, Ty Lue hired
2016/2017 - CLE Ty Lue
2017/2018 - CLE Ty Lue
2018/2019 - LAL Luke Walton fired at end of season
2019/2020 - LAL Frank Vogel
2020/2021 - LAL Frank Vogel
2021/2022 - LAL Frank Vogel fired at end of season
2022/2023 - LAL Darvin Ham
2023/2024 - LAL Darvin Ham fired at end of season
You count Malone. And were Brown and Lue fired when Lebron was leaving too?

But let’s slow down just a tad. ANT is fantastic and playing at an unbelievable level right now but let him be himself - if he does this for many years and wins multiples titles there will be plenty of time to compare him to Jordan. Just fun watching him now.
Well I think they are comparing him to 22yr old MJ.

But let’s slow down just a tad. ANT is fantastic and playing at an unbelievable level right now but let him be himself - if he does this for many years and wins multiples titles there will be plenty of time to compare him to Jordan. Just fun watching him now.

Butler was Jordan's kid last year, but since he has zero titles Jordan gave him up and claimed Edwards.

Did I just read that 8 of Lebron’s 9 head coaches were fired during his tenure? All but Spo? Doesn’t seem right.
I'm only seeing 5. I guess we could count 6 if we count interim coach Brendan Malone, but that seems silly to include

2016/2017 - CLE Ty Lue
2017/2018 - CLE Ty Lue
Meh, I think counting the interim coach is weak. He was never getting the full time gig.

2016/2017 - CLE Ty Lue
2017/2018 - CLE Ty Lue
This looks fine for 21 years?

How do people complain about Luka and refs when Russell Westbrick is still in the game too? If Luka is a first team complainer, Westbrick may be the MVP.
Luka deserves all the praise for his play and all the bashing he receives for his whining to the refs.

All Whine 1st Team
Luka Doncic - MVP, team captain
Joel Embiid - Leader per minute
Jason Tatum - Late game go to
LeBron James - Can still get it done
Jalen Brunson - New kid on the block

Winner of this series is winning the west. Do not believe in the OKC Kidz Club to beat either.
I have the winner of this series winning the championship (assuming the winner maintains decent health)
Yea I have Denver winning it all. Minnesota - Boston would be a toss-up imo.
Minnesota matches up as well as anyone vs Denver. I don't think that same thing against a healthy Boston team.

I’ve noticed Joker does this sneaky move where he ties up the defender but acts like he’s the one being held.
I think it's usually when the defender hooks him, he traps their arm and flails like he can't move. It's usually a foul on the defense but kind of a flop on Jokic.
Sucks a player has to do that to get a call. In DAL/LAC Game 6 Zubac stood strong and took a clear charge right into his chest from Gafford. Zubac didn't flop / fall down, so he got no call (and he then gets posterized to boot).

BTW - that was one hell of an effort by Gafford. Top 5 highlight play of the playoffs so far?
I nominate Brook Lopez for all-whiners 2nd team

Banchero second half not starting well.

Missed a wide open 3, a tip dunk and a fairly easy and-1 and finally made his 2nd FT, but that's like 7 pts he's missed from good looks.

I’ve noticed Joker does this sneaky move where he ties up the defender but acts like he’s the one being held.
I think it's usually when the defender hooks him, he traps their arm and flails like he can't move. It's usually a foul on the defense but kind of a flop on Jokic.
Sucks a player has to do that to get a call. In DAL/LAC Game 6 Zubac stood strong and took a clear charge right into his chest from Gafford. Zubac didn't flop / fall down, so he got no call (and he then gets posterized to boot).

BTW - that was one hell of an effort by Gafford. Top 5 highlight play of the playoffs so far?
Yes, amazing highlight.

Yes, definitely a charge. But Zubac is a big guy - as I said earlier, the bigger you are, the harder it is to officiate.

Finally...I would expand the charge circle another 5+ feet if it were me. Taking a charge is not a basketball play. I say this as a scrappy white guy who always led the team in charges taken. It's ridiculous that we have this awesome game, but we want to eliminate highlights and cause more injuries by trying to slide underneath a guy about to do something exciting and create a dangerous collision instead.

As much as officiating is already hard, they get block charge wrong all the time anyway. And they seem just fine at getting pushoffs and offensive fouls from bull rushing guys in open court. Would be no worse near the basket and the stupid slide-in with the goal of being run over and not trying to play defense at all...yeah screw that.

I believe there's a decent hypothesis that just about anything you'd never call in a pickup game probably doesn't belong as a call in the NBA either.
Just saw it with Okoro undercutting Bachero. Hate that defensive play. Move the charge circle out at least another foot.

Suggs fouled on back to back 3’s. Refs didn’t call the first and only grudgingly called the 2nd. Then Mitchell flops on the other end and gets the call.

How was Orlando the 5 seed? They are terrible shooters.

Great step forward for Orlando this year. Their future is bright. Nice win for the Cavs as well. Look back through the series—through the first 4 games—Jarrett Allen was their best player—-and they beat a solid Orlando team without arguably their second/third best player. I think that if Allen is healthy—I think the Celtics win in 6 games—with 2-3 of those games being very well contested. If Allen misses some time—I’d predict Boston in 5.

Suggs fouled on back to back 3’s. Refs didn’t call the first and only grudgingly called the 2nd. Then Mitchell flops on the other end and gets the call.

How was Orlando the 5 seed? They are terrible shooters.
Agree on the non calls on the threes. The Mitchell call was right though.

Great step forward for Orlando this year. Their future is bright. Nice win for the Cavs as well. Look back through the series—through the first 4 games—Jarrett Allen was their best player—-and they beat a solid Orlando team without arguably their second/third best player. I think that if Allen is healthy—I think the Celtics win in 6 games—with 2-3 of those games being very well contested. If Allen misses some time—I’d predict Boston in 5.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Celts series is this competitive. Maybe the Cavs steal game 3, but I'm preparing for a sweep and 3 of 4 not competitive. Really just depends on Spida - how much will does he have with...this around him.

The more I hear the stats and react to game 1, the more I believe thr Twolves are winning this series and winning the West. If Porzingis isn't healthy by the finals I think the Wolves are winning the finals as well.
If Murray can't get healthy, it's going to be a tough series for the Nuggets.

Some statistical things that stick out that should be better for the Nuggets:
  • The Nuggets had three ORebs - that is an abnormality for anybody, especially the Nuggets who are probably the best offensive rebounding team in the league when Jokic is on the court.
  • Minnesota shot the **** out of the ball (I recognize they are a good shooting team) - 47% on above the break threes, 46% from long midrange. For reference - the only rotation player that shot higher than 40% on those midrangers this season was Kyle Anderson. Edwards shot 33.0% on midrangers this season & 44% on short mid rangers - he was 56% on those shots.
  • In the last 5 minutes of the game, the TWolves had an ORtg of 154.5 and were 6/7 from the field. The only miss was Gobert who immediately got his own rebound and put it back in. The TWolves had a clutch ORtg of 104.1 this season. Overall, they were the 4th worst clutch team in the NBA. Denver was #1.
Statistically, other than McDaniels going 0-7 (which is kind of accounted for with the rest of the team shooting over their heads), I don't feel like there was any thing that stuck out that the Wolves were going to be better with going forward.

To win the series, the Nuggets need to figure out how to either utilize Gordon offensively, or replace him with somebody like Christian Braun who will at least attempt to shoot the ball. It'll get them away from their game a bit, but involve Gordon is the initial screening action more often to get Gobert out of the paint or switched on to Jokic. They tried some off ball screening actions with Gordon, but the Wolves were ready for that. They should also run more actions with MPJ and Jokic - MPJ has no problem getting his jump shot off versus Edwards or pretty much anybody other than McDaniels (who still doesn't affect his shot too much, typically).

If Porzingis isn't healthy by the finals.
We're still a month a way from the Finals, but from everything I've seen so far, KP should be available for BOS by the end of the Cavaliers series (if it runs longer than expected). The Celtics may not need him against the Cavs, so they may just hold him out of the series altogether. Things appear to be going extremely well in his rehab, but he could suffer a setback, they could push him too hard too fast, and he could always reinjure his calf (or hurt something else) to miss time the rest of the way. After winning Game 5, Boston is now 22-4 without Porzingas playing with a +13.5 net rating (2.2 points better than when he plays). I get it, statistics and things that happened in the regular season don't matter, and Boston having KP at full strength certainly would help their cause.

More stats for those that are interested . . .

Records and net ratings against the remaining playoff teams (includes Game 1 of MIN/DEN):

OKC 13-7, +0.5 (3-1 vs. DAL, +6.6)
BOS 13-8, +8.4 (2-1 vs. CLE, +5.3)
MIN 13-8, +4.8 (3-2 vs. DEN, +5.0)
DEN 11-9, +2.5 (2-3 vs. MIN, -5.0)
IND 10-10, -0.2 (2-1, vs. NYK +8,1)
CLE 8-10, -3.8 (1-2 vs. BOS, -5.3)
NYK 6-13, -2.8 (1-2 vs. IND, -8,1)
DAL 5-14, -9.5 (1-3 vs. DAL, -6.6)

The more I hear the stats and react to game 1, the more I believe thr Twolves are winning this series and winning the West. If Porzingis isn't healthy by the finals I think the Wolves are winning the finals as well.
If Murray can't get healthy, it's going to be a tough series for the Nuggets.

Some statistical things that stick out that should be better for the Nuggets:
  • The Nuggets had three ORebs - that is an abnormality for anybody, especially the Nuggets who are probably the best offensive rebounding team in the league when Jokic is on the court.
  • Minnesota shot the **** out of the ball (I recognize they are a good shooting team) - 47% on above the break threes, 46% from long midrange. For reference - the only rotation player that shot higher than 40% on those midrangers this season was Kyle Anderson. Edwards shot 33.0% on midrangers this season & 44% on short mid rangers - he was 56% on those shots.
  • In the last 5 minutes of the game, the TWolves had an ORtg of 154.5 and were 6/7 from the field. The only miss was Gobert who immediately got his own rebound and put it back in. The TWolves had a clutch ORtg of 104.1 this season. Overall, they were the 4th worst clutch team in the NBA. Denver was #1.
Statistically, other than McDaniels going 0-7 (which is kind of accounted for with the rest of the team shooting over their heads), I don't feel like there was any thing that stuck out that the Wolves were going to be better with going forward.

To win the series, the Nuggets need to figure out how to either utilize Gordon offensively, or replace him with somebody like Christian Braun who will at least attempt to shoot the ball. It'll get them away from their game a bit, but involve Gordon is the initial screening action more often to get Gobert out of the paint or switched on to Jokic. They tried some off ball screening actions with Gordon, but the Wolves were ready for that. They should also run more actions with MPJ and Jokic - MPJ has no problem getting his jump shot off versus Edwards or pretty much anybody other than McDaniels (who still doesn't affect his shot too much, typically).

There are stats for both teams that say they will be better. I am looking at three things.

Murray's health. I don't think he gets healthier.

No one stops Jokic, we all know this, but no one is better equipped to at least make him a little less efficient and wear him down over a game and series.

In a very physical series the bench is going to matter a lot. I think the T Wolves have a better bench.

If the T Wolves win it all, the best part would be that Wiggins and KAT would both get a title as the second best player on their team. So Jimmy Buckets would be wrong when he said "you ****ing need me"

No Jimmy they didn't, they just needed a real superstar.

With the Bucks cap situation and lack of picks, I don’t see how they could make significant changes. Just mostly run it back and hope for good health.
Brook and his $25M expiring should be moveable to a team looking to clear cap space for 2025-26.

Gonna be interesting to see if Horst leaves for Detroit when they inevitably offer him a bag.

If the T Wolves win it all, the best part would be that Wiggins and KAT would both get a title as the second best player on their team. So Jimmy Buckets would be wrong when he said "you ****ing need me"

KAT is far and away the third best player for the Wolves, there is no world in which he is even close to as good as Gobert. He might even been the fifth most important starter as he has the best backup (Reid) and Conley and McDaniels (maybe McDaniels, but 100% Conley) offer a more irreplaceable skill set for this team.

Gobert is the most important player for this team - they are a defense first team that limps a passable offense through with Edwards and KAT. Those two are floor raisers offensively for the Wolves, while Gobert is the ceiling raiser for the team.

KAT is far and away the third best player for the Wolves, there is no world in which he is even close to as good as Gobert. He might even been the fifth most important starter as he has the best backup (Reid) and Conley and McDaniels (maybe McDaniels, but 100% Conley) offer a more irreplaceable skill set for this team.

Gobert is the most important player for this team - they are a defense first team that limps a passable offense through with Edwards and KAT. Those two are floor raisers offensively for the Wolves, while Gobert is the ceiling raiser for the team.
This is all true. However they still absolutely need his offense for when Edwards doesn't have it. KAT can score 20 in a quarter, nobody else on this team besides those two can do that (possibly Naz but rarely).

Users who are viewing this thread