What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (15 Viewers)

I'm late to the party for the NO-MIA brawl but it sure looked on the replay like Jimmy B put his hands on No 8 from the Pelicans and also proceeded to grab his throat or touch him in that area, intent does not matter there IMHO and then when the favor is reciprocated you see Jimmy B going wild

-I'm just calling it like I see it on the slow mo replays. I'm sure the NBA got it right on the suspensions, wish he hadn't done that, still will root for him the next time he suits up for the Heat

That was NOT Heat Culture for the record.

One small defensive thing Golden State did on Jokic that wasn't disastrous: have Klay on him in the space between the three point and free throw lines.

It was the only (barely) time where Jokic seemed the slightest bit tentative. He turned his back to Klay to keep his dribble and prevent Klay from reaching around, and he was a little too far out to set up a play so he had to hand off to Gordon/Murray.

It was like a locomotive slowing from 100 MPH to 85, and would probably not sustain over the course of a game, but the tactic was noticeable.

Scene...

Hey, maybe I should check the NBA standings. Maybe the Wiz are hanging around the playoff cut line and I can ride the late season intrigue?

Uh, no.

Wait, the Cavs and Knicks are good?

:checks roster:

I have never heard of any Cleveland player. Unless Otto Porter Jr. changed his first name to Craig.
It's a fun team. Season was on the brink with Garland and Mobley going down for ~2 months the same week. Team took that as an opportunity to reinvent themselves and demonstrate that unlike last year's team this one is deep too. Integrating the stars back in the lineup has been predictably mixed, but they've got 4-6 weeks to figure things out.

Gonna enjoy the ride

Updated title probabilities (minimum 2% chance):

ESPN:
BOS 38.7%, LAC 11.5%, MIL 10.3%, CLE 9.5%, MIN 8.1%, DEN 5.1%, OKC 4.2%, NYK 2.5%

Basketball Reference:
BOS 49.7%, OKC 18.9%, MIN 12.9%, CLE 4.2%, LAC 3.5%, NYK 2.9%, DEN 2.0%

Playoff Status:
BOS 37%, MIN 13%, OKC 12%, DEN 8%, LAC 6%, CLE 6%, MIL 4%, NYK 3%, SAC 2%, NOP 2%

Power Rankings Guru:
BOS 47%, OKC 10%, MIN 9%, LAC 7%, CLE 6%, MIL 6%, DEN 5%, NYK 2%

Range:
BOS 37.0-49.7%
MIN 8.1-13.0%
LAC 3.5-11.5%
MIL 1.4-10.3%
CLE 4.2-9.5%
DEN 2.0-8.0%
OKC 4.2-18.9%
NYK 2.0-3.0%
NOP 0.6%-2.0%
SAC 0.1-2.0%

ESPN:
BOS 38.7%, LAC 11.5%, MIL 10.3%, CLE 9.5%, MIN 8.1%, DEN 5.1%, OKC 4.2%, NYK 2.5%

Basketball Reference:

Playoff Status:
BOS 37%, MIN 13%, OKC 12%, DEN 8%, LAC 6%, CLE 6%, MIL 4%, NYK 3%, SAC 2%, NOP 2%

Power Rankings Guru:

Range:
BOS 37.0-49.7%
MIN 8.1-13.0%
LAC 3.5-11.5%
MIL 1.4-10.3%
CLE 4.2-9.5%
DEN 2.0-8.0%
OKC 4.2-18.9%
NYK 2.0-3.0%
NOP 0.6%-2.0%
SAC 0.1-2.0%
It speaks highly of the Spurs progress this season that they are so close to the Nuggets.

I can get tickets for the Portland v Bobcats game for $6. :lmao:

Glad I missed this one....

- Portland became the first team in history to shoot 32 3-pt shots and make only 3.
- Portland shot 34.7% from the floor.
- Charlotte had not won in Portland since before Obama became the democratic nominee in 2008.
- Charlotte apparently had a change in team names.
- Afernnee Simons was 4 of 21 for the game, his first since having a baby. The way he misses, I'd probably ask for a paternity test.

ESPN:

Basketball Reference:

Playoff Status:

Power Rankings Guru:

Range:
BOS 37.0-49.7%
MIN 8.1-13.0%
LAC 3.5-11.5%
MIL 1.4-10.3%
CLE 4.2-9.5%
DEN 2.0-8.0%
OKC 4.2-18.9%
NYK 2.0-3.0%
NOP 0.6%-2.0%
SAC 0.1-2.0%
It really goes to show why you can't only rely on these models, because Denver should be WAY higher.

ESPN:

Basketball Reference:

Playoff Status:

Power Rankings Guru:

Range:
BOS 37.0-49.7%
MIN 8.1-13.0%
LAC 3.5-11.5%
MIL 1.4-10.3%
CLE 4.2-9.5%
DEN 2.0-8.0%
OKC 4.2-18.9%
NYK 2.0-3.0%
NOP 0.6%-2.0%
SAC 0.1-2.0%
It really goes to show why you can't only rely on these models, because Denver should be WAY higher.
Yep, if my kids' lives were on the line and I had to pick this year's winner, I'm rolling Denver.*

*I say this as a Timberwolves fan.

ESPN:

Basketball Reference:

Playoff Status:

Power Rankings Guru:

Range:
BOS 37.0-49.7%
MIN 8.1-13.0%
LAC 3.5-11.5%
MIL 1.4-10.3%
CLE 4.2-9.5%
DEN 2.0-8.0%
OKC 4.2-18.9%
NYK 2.0-3.0%
NOP 0.6%-2.0%
SAC 0.1-2.0%
Yep, if my kids' lives were on the line and I had to pick this year's winner, I'm rolling Denver.*

*I say this as a Timberwolves fan.

I think it has to be Boston due to how weak the East is compared with the West.

- Charlotte apparently had a change in team names
You don't say
The Horncats improve to 5-1 since the trade deadline

Grant Williams dark horse MVP?
He could be! He's looked amazing with Charlotte. Check these out - change of scenery made a HUGE difference:

• less playing time every game since he joined them
  • he does look way better - his negative offensive, defensive, and overall box +/- are less negative than with Dallas
  • usage almost double
  • higher AST%, lower TOV% (still like 2 of each per game, but still)
  • Highest FTr of his career - this is a massive difference maker
  • Defensive rebounding best of his career
  • overall still a -5 spread between his ORTG and DRTG when on the floor, but way better than his -9 spread in Dallas

I'm obviously being somewhat facetious - he's still bad. But he has looked less bad. If I were a betting man (although we know I never would be because of how constantly wrong I am about everything), I'd bet it won't last.

- Charlotte apparently had a change in team names
You don't say
The Horncats improve to 5-1 since the trade deadline

Grant Williams dark horse MVP?
Tre Mann has been the player to get excited about in all of it. Looks really solid and has another year on a cheap deal.

Mostly I think the turn is about improving the average quality of the rotation. PJ Washington is a big loss, but Gordon was always hurt and (IMO) seemed disinterested in winning. Mann, Williams, Curry, and Micic all getting 20 minutes a night while cutting some real bums.

Monty Williams finally did SOMETHING right this year and laid into the refs after that game. Absolutely absurd that there was a no call. How do you tackle the opposing player and the refs just swallow the whistle?

Monty Williams finally did SOMETHING right this year and laid into the refs after that game. Absolutely absurd that there was a no call. How do you tackle the opposing player and the refs just swallow the whistle?
I just watched the replay. It was a mad scramble and the ball ping-ponged around and Thompson knocked the ball forward but didn't seem to fully have possession so DiVincenzo went for what seemed like a loose ball and Thompson actually runs him over.

The play happened on the C side of the court with only 1 official there and he was slightly behind the play and just starting to run. He had a poor angle and the other 2 officials couldn't help. With a loose ball situation and the game nearly over, you don't guess on a foul call to decide the game, so I fully understand the no-call.

And instead of securing the rebound on the missed FT and calling a TO to advance and get a shot to win with over 1 second left, the Pistons let the Knicks get the rebound...but sure they lost solely because those mean ole refs just don't like the Pistons and didn't give them a very difficult judgment call on a crazy play.

Sounds like Monty isn't actually a very good coach and the Pistons didnt play very well if you have to count on that call to win a game.

I just watched the replay. It was a mad scramble and the ball ping-ponged around and Thompson knocked the ball forward but didn't seem to fully have possession so DiVincenzo went for what seemed like a loose ball and Thompson actually runs him over.
The NBA has already come out and said they ****ed this call up. That is 100% a foul on Divencenzo

He still didn't do it right. His press conference was awful. Complaining about the officials all year, as if that is the reason the team stinks. I love his line about his players coming up to him all year and asking him what do they have to do. How about some defense? I thought Monty was a great hire, but he has been one of the worst coaches in the league this year.

This season is over, how does Ivy not play the last 15 minutes? They need to figure out if Cade and Ivy can work together so they can move one this summer if they can't.

The NBA has already come out and said they ****ed this call up. That is 100% a foul on Divencenzo
Sorry, I agree. I'm just talking about the refs perception on that play. And I was wrong. That wasn't the Center official near the play, but the trail (would become the new lead with Pistons' possession). He just got caught with the speed of the steal and had a horrible view and was honestly too close to make a call there. The opposite official (the actual C or Center official) was just starting to move up the court when the collision happened so was not able to get across the transition quickly enough. With nobody in front of the play and no one in position from the opposite side, there was no one to see what we can see on film. It is the kind of crazy play that just isn't expected and planned for in officiating mechanics.

Sure you want to get every call 100% correct, but that is a near impossible play to officiate without just guessing. One guy standing 10 feet from the action just starting to move and trying to avoid getting run into had to see and make that call. His perception was likely as I described, that DiVincenzo went to a loose ball and got run over by Thompson.

Point being, it was bad luck for the Pistons, not some egregious officiating error that deserves an angry tirade and some kind of league discipline. And I know these games often come down to one or two plays, but the Pistons certainly left a few plays out there themselves and to expect perfection from the officials but ignore your own screw ups is ********. Monty needs to own that, not shift blame.

Last edited:
How is Lebron going to tell people with a straight face to let Bronny just be a kid and play basketball (because he was removed from ESPN's 2024 NBA Mock Draft), when he was out there saying Bronny could be in the NBA and help the Lakers right now?

How is Lebron going to tell people with a straight face to let Bronny just be a kid and play basketball (because he was removed from ESPN's 2024 NBA Mock Draft), when he was out there saying Bronny could be in the NBA and help the Lakers right now?
He contradicts himself a lot when it comes to anything besides just playing basketball.

He contradicts himself a lot when it comes to anything besides just playing basketball.
Of course he is going to talk up his kid. And when things don't proceed in the best possible way, of course he is going to provide cover for his kid.

It's called being a loving parent

Of course he is going to talk up his kid. And when things don't proceed in the best possible way, of course he is going to provide cover for his kid.

He put his son in this position when he started suggesting his NBA future was tied to Bronny's and getting his media contacts to hype Bronny as an early first round pick.

He put his son in this position when he started suggesting his NBA future was tied to Bronny's and getting his media contacts to hype Bronny as an early first round pick.
He is Lebron's son. He was always going to be talked about and hyped regardless of what Lebron said about him

He is Lebron's son. He was always going to be talked about and hyped regardless of what Lebron said about him

Lebron has done this crap before when he begged the Heat to take Shabazz Napier and then Lebron went back to Cleveland before he even played with the guy.

At the end of the day it is his kid.

Remember all the NBA hype Michael Jordan's son got? Wait, you don't? Weird.

I'd disagree with that last sentiment. Vehemently.

Overhyping your child is setting them up for failure and ridicule.

ETA: I saw Bronny play a couple of years ago when he was just a Sophomore. Some students in the crowd started chanting "over-rated" while he was shooting FTs. He had been playing pretty good considering his age and the level of competition. The only reason anyone even noticed him was the hype from being LeBron's son. Add in some 1st round draft pick expectations due to his dad's words in public? That's not helpful to the child, IMO.

Honestly, who cares. The kid almost died. That probably had something to do with his play. Weird people are even talking about this.

Before social media and Mj’s kid wasn’t a top-100 recruit.

I'd disagree with that last sentiment. Vehemently.

Overhyping your child is setting them up for failure and ridicule.

ETA: I saw Bronny play a couple of years ago when he was just a Sophomore. Some students in the crowd started chanting "over-rated" while he was shooting FTs. He had been playing pretty good considering his age and the level of competition. The only reason anyone even noticed him was the hype from being LeBron's son. Add in some 1st round draft pick expectations due to his dad's words in public? That's not helpful to the child, IMO.

But it isn't your kid.

I think Jordan is the goat, but why does everything Lebron does get compared to Jordan.

Did you guys see the way Lebron held is cell phone at that press conference? Jordan would have never done that during his playing days.

His hype has always exceeded his talent because of his dad’s camp’s aggressive marketing. Which is whatever, but you can’t drive the social media train hyping your kid as the next NBa superstar and then complain about the media hype you caused in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread