What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Titles in NBA History That I Personally Can Remember just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Since I am older than Methuselah, I remember the last 7 Celtics titles (1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008, 2024). Should I pretend they didn't happen? I also remember the Lakers 11 championships in that time (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2020). The Lakers have had a more recent run of success than Boston has. The early Celtics titles happened, but many of them were in a league with only 8 teams. Not the same, IMO, and the league is not remotely the same now.

I'd have to then ask what's your window of relevance?
For any sport I pretty much start with segregation. NFL Super Bowl Era. NHL once they got away from 6 teams.

It’s not just a Boston thing. Bragging about Yankees titles from the 20s and 30 is stupid as hell too. You can acknowledge them but going 27 RINGS BRO is incredibly weak.
Bragging about any titles as a fan is dumb - it's not like any of us helped either a team win a title in either 1917 or 2024. There are degrees, but additional line drawing within that incredibly dumb space is also a waste of time.

For any sport I pretty much start with segregation. NFL Super Bowl Era. NHL once they got away from 6 teams.

It’s not just a Boston thing. Bragging about Yankees titles from the 20s and 30 is stupid as hell too. You can acknowledge them but going 27 RINGS BRO is incredibly weak.
Bragging about any titles as a fan is dumb - it's not like any of us helped either a team win a title in either 1917 or 2024. There are degrees, but additional line drawing within that incredibly dumb space is also a waste of time.
Yes but if you attend a sporting event with some of these people you’ll hear it. I went to a yanks rays game last year where the rays won and some yanks fans were chanting 27 rings on their way out. Ok bros.

Yes but if you attend a sporting event with some of these people you’ll hear it. I went to a yanks rays game last year where the rays won and some yanks fans were chanting 27 rings on their way out. Ok bros.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

And yet we have guys in the PGA thread complaining about fan behavior as if it's a new phenomenon to the otherwise 'gentile' sport. WHEN DID WE ALLOW GUYS TO YELL 'GET IN THE HOLE'!!!!!!!!!!111111111111ONE

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new
Yea I know. Lot of stupid people out there. Nothing new for sure.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

And yet we have guys in the PGA thread complaining about fan behavior as if it's a new phenomenon to the otherwise 'gentile' sport. WHEN DID WE ALLOW GUYS TO YELL 'GET IN THE HOLE'!!!!!!!!!!111111111111ONE
I do find that super annoying though. Feels like it didn't happen as much when I first started watching golf, which was only like 3 years ago, and I'm not a particularly "old white guy style fan.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

I do find that super annoying though. Feels like it didn't happen as much when I first started watching golf, which was only like 3 years ago, and I'm not a particularly "old white guy style fan.

What can PGA Tour do about "Baba booey"? Not much​

You wanna guess the date of this headline?

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

I don't think that was my point. "as much" was key word.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

I'm making it the point. This tawdry and boorish behavior from golf fans dates back years and years; if you think it's just gotten worse in 3 years since you started watching golf, I'm here to tell you that you're incorrect. It's been a topic for a LONG time.

What would be the most switchable defensive team that one could put together, while also maintaining at least league average offense. Here is what I came up with

PG - Jrue
SG - Caruso
SF - OG
PF - Giannis
C - Bam

Jaylen Brown had the lowest PER (16.5) in the finals for an MVP since at least 1991.

The only other 2 with lower than 20 are Iguodala in 2015 and Pierce in 2008, who both had 19.2.

Top (over 30) FMVP PER since 1991:
2002 Shaq - 38.5
2021 Giannis - 36.9
2000 Shaq - 36.3
1991 Jordan - 34.1
2001 Shaq - 33.8
2020 LeBron - 33.5
2016 LeBron - 33.4
2017 Durant - 32.6
1993 Jordan - 31.7
2018 Durant - 31.4
2023 Jokic - 31.3
2006 Wade - 30.5
2003 Duncan - 30.2

What would be the most switchable defensive team that one could put together, while also maintaining at least league average offense. Here is what I came up with

PG - Jrue
SG - Caruso
SF - OG
PF - Giannis
C - Bam
Caruso is not "average" on offense.

PG - Jrue
SG - Caruso
SF - OG
PF - Giannis
C - Bam

Not sure how you put Caruso over Ant, or White or Butler. OG is good, but a healthy Kawhi is better.

We always ask who is the best champion since those dominate Warrior teams after the season is over. I am struggling with this year's Celtics and last year's Nuggets. It is ashame the Celtics lost in 23 and Nuggets this year.

Nuggets/Celtics
Bucks
Warriors (22)
Lakers
Raptors

For me

Denver beat 42, 45, 43, 44 win teams for their title.

Boston beat 46, 48, 47, 50 win teams for their title (yes, there were inuries).

Neither champion really faced much adversity

If Horford does retire is he a Hall-of-Famer? I personally would say no, but I think he is a lock to get in.

if it were just an NBA Hall-of-Fame probably not but since the hoop Hall-of-Fame accounts for all of basketball (I believe that is how it works) those two titles with Florida to go along with this title probably gets him in...as well as the fact he is very well respected and liked...that never hurts with the voters.

PG - Jrue
SG - Caruso
SF - OG
PF - Giannis
C - Bam

Not sure how you put Caruso over Ant, or White or Butler. OG is good, but a healthy Kawhi is better.
Kawhi is never not hurt. Ant plays defense sometimes. I love White, but I think Caruso is a better defender and can play bigger than White. Butler is old

If Horford does retire is he a Hall-of-Famer? I personally would say no, but I think he is a lock to get in.
NBA or just basketball HOF?

three total titles across college and the NBA plus longevity probably gets him in to the basketball HOF which doesn't seem to have a super high bar

I agree, I am just going by the eyeball test. I think the Nuggets and Celtics beat the other teams.

I agree Horford makes it one day but that’s going to be really bizarre. Just not a guy you think of when you think hall of fame.
Pau Gasol is a decent comp I think. Gasol has his FIBA stuff, Horford has his NCAA stuff. Similar NBA resumes
Pau was a 1(b) player on 2 title teams and made 4 all NBA teams versus one for Horford. Pau was much better IMO.

I get that teams can only play the opponents on their schedule. This year's Boston team got dinged for that every step of the way in the playoffs. Last year's Denver team beat 3 play-in teams to win the title. The Nuggets are a good team, but they have yet to win a playoff series against a 50-win team in 9 years with Jokic (5 series).

I am still taking in all the hot takes over this season. Will have to give things some thoughts and reflections.

I get that teams can only play the opponents on their schedule. This year's Boston team got dinged for that every step of the way in the playoffs. Last year's Denver team beat 3 play-in teams to win the title. The Nuggets are a good team, but they have yet to win a playoff series against a 50-win team in 9 years with Jokic (5 series).

I am still taking in all the hot takes over this season. Will have to give things some thoughts and reflections.

The “easy road” narrative would have far more merit if the C’s didn’t go 16-3 in the playoffs …if those series were 6 or 7 games it would carry more weight because then it would indicate they struggled against lesser teams.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

I'm making it the point. This tawdry and boorish behavior from golf fans dates back years and years; if you think it's just gotten worse in 3 years since you started watching golf, I'm here to tell you that you're incorrect. It's been a topic for a LONG time.
This isn't the right thread, so last time I'll post on it in here.

But you're aware the behavior can have existed before, AND it can have gotten worse, right? It could even have been a topic for a long time, and have gotten worse.

Also tawdry and boorish - nice vocab (not sarcasm). Love it!

NBA or just basketball HOF?

three total titles across college and the NBA plus longevity probably gets him in to the basketball HOF which doesn't seem to have a super high bar

My great great grandfather is in there, so......yeah, that bar is sea level.

Takes all kinds

That's the world

Nothing new

This isn't the right thread, so last time I'll post on it in here.

But you're aware the behavior can have existed before, AND it can have gotten worse, right? It could even have been a topic for a long time, and have gotten worse.

Also tawdry and boorish - nice vocab (not sarcasm). Love it!

It hasn't gotten worse. It's been bad for a long time. That article headline was from 2013. What's changed is the audio coverage, the technology and you getting older and intolerable to nonsense.

Gasol was a much better NBA player than Horford, no?
By many levels
I don't know if I would say many levels. Horford a far more versatile defender and much better shooter. Gasol a better low post threat and a better rebounder. Gasol has the two championships where he was 2nd best, obviously Al doesn't have that, but if prime Horford was on those Laker teams do they still win?

I doubt Gasol is a hall of famer if not for his FIBA stuff. But maybe I am wrong and his two championships and 5 allstar games and 3 all NBA teams would have been enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread