What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Morey is overrated as a GM and botched the Simmons deal badly, but I like what he is doing with Harden. He seen Harden is still a decent, but no where near a max player and he refuses to budge.

Harden was going to decline his option, but then he realized he didn't have the market to demand a max deal and tried to make the 76ers give him a max deal or trade him to someone that would next year for peanuts.

Harden is a declining asset and thinks he is still prime and deserves max money and will try to force his way out of any situation he doesn't like.

have to disagree. Some super off-season reporting here, Harden is just hitting his stride....

for tldr, Harden's agent has said "he wouldn't be surprised if he was the MVP next year". Can't even believe the guy who wrote this article has a job

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. When the 76ers were trying to trade Simmons everyone was reporting the asking price was too steep, but all those were wrong. The correct one is a statement from Harden's agent that he is in the best shape ever (we have never heard that before) and he could win MVP this year while in a contract year.

I believe Morey is overrated as a GM and botched the Simmons deal badly, but I like what he is doing with Harden. He seen Harden is still a decent, but no where near a max player and he refuses to budge.

Harden was going to decline his option, but then he realized he didn't have the market to demand a max deal and tried to make the 76ers give him a max deal or trade him to someone that would next year for peanuts.

Harden is a declining asset and thinks he is still prime and deserves max money and will try to force his way out of any situation he doesn't like.

have to disagree. Some super off-season reporting here, Harden is just hitting his stride....

for tldr, Harden's agent has said "he wouldn't be surprised if he was the MVP next year". Can't even believe the guy who wrote this article has a job

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. When the 76ers were trying to trade Simmons everyone was reporting the asking price was too steep, but all those were wrong. The correct one is a statement from Harden's agent that he is in the best shape ever (we have never heard that before) and he could win MVP this year while in a contract year.
I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It is true that Morey was reportedly asking for insane returns for Simmons. I still think that the reason it took so long was more that the other team's actual offers were too weak rather than Morey's being too steep. Morey's asking price was steep as a negotiation tactic, not that he really thought Simmons was worth it. But he still had some level that he would not go below in order to make a deal. IMO.

Do the pieces that the Clippers have fit next to Embiid and Maxey? I don't know much about those guys. Covington would be a nice fit next to Tobias I feel. But would a Mann-Maxey backcourt work?

Do the pieces that the Clippers have fit next to Embiid and Maxey? I don't know much about those guys. Covington would be a nice fit next to Tobias I feel. But would a Mann-Maxey backcourt work?
Yes, I don't see why a Mann-Maxey backcourt wouldn't work. Mann would be a pretty good defensive complement in light of his size and is a decent secondary ball-handler. That assumes that Maxey can really be the primary ball handler, though.

Powell - Covington - Hyland - Morris

FOR

Harden - PJ Tucker

That works. Thoughts?
Taking back Powell will screw up the cap space for next offseason, which I assume is still Morey's priority. Morris is cooked and Covington may be there as well. Hyland could be ok as a bench scorer and Powell could provide some perimeter defense, though this is clearly a downgrade on the court. At this point, it's somewhat irrelevant what the actual return is though.

sarcasm...... :kicksrock:

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic. It is true that Morey was reportedly asking for insane returns for Simmons. I still think that the reason it took so long was more that the other team's actual offers were too weak rather than Morey's being too steep. Morey's asking price was steep as a negotiation tactic, not that he really thought Simmons was worth it. But he still had some level that he would not go below in order to make a deal. IMO.

I agree with this, but because the 76ers and Morey should have known their own player better and lowered the asking price after the first couple weeks. By waiting so long they gave the rest of the league time to see what was really going on and the value dropped.

I really believe Morey would look like a genius if he made that trade earlier. He would have fleeced the Warriors, Blazers, Kings or any of the other teams that were interested and the 76ers would be in a much better position now. Everyone wouldn't be starting to wonder if Embiid was going to ask for a trade soon, they wouldn't have had to add picks to get Harden.

The 76ers and Morey need to realize they made mistake and get ahead of the problem. Either trade Harden and get assets, even if they don't keep them in title contention this year, (don't take back any bad contracts) or play hardball with him and make him play out the season and let him walk next year and try to reload with some free agents.

sarcasm...... :kicksrock:

My fault Mo, my sarcasm meter has never worked well.

Seems to be conflicting reports.

John Clark: I’m told the Sixers never had an agreement, made an offer, or exchanged proposals with James Harden and his reps heading into this year’s free agency. It’s my understanding the Sixers told James and his reps they would meet with them the second free agency starts. James and his reps did not like that scenario and opted in to the one year with the Sixers and asked for a trade. The Sixers looked into possible trades but there was nothing that they liked from the LA Clippers or any team. The NBA investigated the Sixers last year for tampering but the NBA found no communication with James Harden that violated any tampering rules. They were punished and lost several second round picks for tampering with P.J. Tucker and Danuel House Jr.

I’m told the Sixers never had an agreement, made an offer, or exchanged proposals with James Harden and his reps heading into this year’s free agency. It’s my understanding the Sixers told James and his reps they would meet with them the second free agency starts.
Well yes, this is the problem. It seems abundantly clear there was some sort of wink wink deal when Harden opted out last year and signed a very team friendly deal. To not even approach Harden before free agency forced his hand to take the option.

Embiid removed “Philadelphia” from his location on twitter. Horford’s sister called philly a **** show. Embiid apparently tried hard a few times to get Harden to move off his trade demand to no avail. Ugh.

So it sounds like Harden is going to show up for camp, but make it as uncomfortable as possible. Playing in the nude?
Maybe he'll sit out for a while but then grab 4 third stringers, scrimmage against the remaining starts, talk **** the whole time and beat their asses up and down the court, continue yelling that they need him, and then after winning sprint to the lockerroom to shower and head out for an interview with Rachel Nichols?

So it sounds like Harden is going to show up for camp, but make it as uncomfortable as possible. Playing in the nude?
Maybe he'll sit out for a while but then grab 4 third stringers, scrimmage against the remaining starts, talk **** the whole time and beat their asses up and down the court, continue yelling that they need him, and then after winning sprint to the lockerroom to shower and head out for an interview with Rachel Nichols?
That's the guy they should have kept.

Too bad he isn't that guy anymore.

Harden was NEVER that guy

I agree, didn't feel like arguing with the few people that thought he was.

I agree, didn't feel like arguing with the few people that thought he was.
he was referring to what jimmy butler did in minnesota. don't think anyone thinks harden was ever that guy.

he was referring to what jimmy butler did in minnesota. don't think anyone thinks harden was ever that guy.

Haha, I know. I'm actually tired of hearing that story whenever Jimmy is mentioned. The first hundred times was enough. As for Harden, some folks seem to glorify his time with the Rockets (especially Houston homers) but he never had that dog in him when things got tough.

I don’t hate this mock trade I saw online:

Dallas Mavericks receive: James Harden

Miami Heat receive: Damian Lillard, Maxi Kleber, Furkan Korkmaz

Philadelphia 76ers receive: Tyler Herro, Tim Hardaway Jr., 2029 first-round pick swap (via MIA)

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Kyle Lowry, Jaden Hardy, Jaime Jaquez Jr., 2027 first-round pick swap (via MIA), 2027 first-round pick (via DAL), 2028 first-round pick (via MIA), 2030 first-round pick (via MIA)

Philadelphia 76ers receive: Tyler Herro, Tim Hardaway Jr., 2029 first-round pick swap (via MIA)

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Kyle Lowry, Jaden Hardy, Jaime Jaquez Jr., 2027 first-round pick swap (via MIA), 2027 first-round pick (via DAL), 2028 first-round pick (via MIA), 2030 first-round pick (via MIA)
The trade machine on ESPN suggests MIA would be +10 wins, DAL +9 wins, PHI -8 wins, and POR -13 (at least for this year).

The trade machine on ESPN suggests MIA would be +10 wins, DAL +9 wins, PHI -8 wins, and POR -13 (at least for this year).

I don't know about Dallas. We saw what Harden and Irving did to Durant.

That’s not good enough for Portland

Can Portland/Miami/Dallas take PJ Tucker from Philly and the 2029 1st then goes to Portland? Philly gets some 2nd rounders or something?

Vomit.

Number 1 problem with this: Korkmaz is the process as much as Embiid and should never leave, no matter how many trade requests he makes.

Number 2 problem: Dallas would never do that. Give up 2 key players of their rotation and a first for a guy who would be a horrific fit with Luka. Makes no sense.

I don’t know if that’s totally true. They would get two promising young players, 3 firsts and a swap. Based on where things stand now, I’m not sure they can do much better. It looks better than what Miami can offer alone, so if Portland decides at some point to just move on, this might be the best they can do.

don’t know if that’s totally true. They would get two promising young players, 3 firsts and a swap. Based on where things stand now, I’m not sure they can do much better.
The promising young players aren’t really that good and those firsts are the definition of meh.

I am not saying Portland can do better, just that they won’t do the trade at all. There is no need for them to do so and they don’t seem inclined to accommodate him, nor should they.

Just a thought, but to help with tanking maybe the NBA should allow teams to draft players and own the rights to them even if they have to go to college or play else where. Similar to the NHL and MLB. It would make the later picks worth more as well.

Some rough rules.

Can only draft players that have finished highschool or are 18 years of age.
Can't trade these players until they are eligible to play in the NBA.
I am not sure what the number is, but limit the amount of these players per team.

Similar to the NHL and MLB.
Neither of these leagues allow teams to retain the rights to players for very long. IIRC, for college hockey players, NHL teams can only sign them for up to 30 days after the player leaves college. I think MLB teams only have until August 15 to sign draft picks or they can be drafted again the following season. I don't think the rules have allowed teams to maintain the rights to players for multiple years in quite a while.

Don't NBA teams already sign and stash younger / developmental players in international leagues all the time? Don't they retain their rights across an extended time frame as it is?

Similar to the NHL and MLB.
Neither of these leagues allow teams to retain the rights to players for very long. IIRC, for college hockey players, NHL teams can only sign them for up to 30 days after the player leaves college. I think MLB teams only have until August 15 to sign draft picks or they can be drafted again the following season. I don't think the rules have allowed teams to maintain the rights to players for multiple years in quite a while.

Don't NBA teams already sign and stash younger / developmental players in international leagues all the time? Don't they retain their rights across an extended time frame as it is?

It is possible. I was just thinking about changing it up to help with tanking and maybe make trading a little easier. I am sure they could adjust the rules.

Giddey looks great for Australia, if he could get a passable jumper (Chip England do your thing) the sky is the limit

NBA opens inquiry into Sixers-Harden situation.

If Harden wanted to leave he could have not opted in. What else is there to look at besides him being a giant pain in the ***
They want to know what Harden is saying Morey lied about and whether a cap/tampering violation thing.
But the league already investigated the deal Harden signed last summer and found no evidence of shenanigans. Silver docked them 2 seconds for “tampering” in signing Tucker and House (even though literally everyone does the same thing when 35 deals are announced 5 minutes into FA every year) but it would have been far worse if they found something related to the Harden deal.

If Harden is saying Morey lied that he’d trade him this summer, well, nobody stepped up with a good enough offer.

Really liked the USA lineup to close out the game and seal the comeback win:

Haliburton
Reaves
Edwards
Bridges
JJJ

This should be the starting lineup. More movement and energy, less iso ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread