What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

So im googling about Maxx`s knee injury and i see this

Maxx Crosby did not practice on Thursday​

The Raiders star pass rusher missed practice with a knee injury

By Marcus Johnson@TheMarcJohnNFL Sep 29, 2023, 6:26am PD

I wonder if hes been playing with a hurt knee all the way back to sept

i envision him coming out of the tunnel this weekend wearing the Raiders flag as a cape and the crowd going crazy , and he plays :boxing:
Man, I hope so!! I’ll be there!!
I mean lets say hes been playing hurt , but being who he is he just never rests his knee and keeps playing thru it. It cant heal because he wont dial it down a notch , he practices like he plays ...all out. So they make him rest so he can play this weekend , and they let him rest the next 2 weeks during the bye . If they win this week they are still in the running for the playoffs . Just a thought.

So im googling about Maxx`s knee injury and i see this

Maxx Crosby did not practice on Thursday​

The Raiders star pass rusher missed practice with a knee injury

By Marcus Johnson@TheMarcJohnNFL Sep 29, 2023, 6:26am PD

I wonder if hes been playing with a hurt knee all the way back to sept

i envision him coming out of the tunnel this weekend wearing the Raiders flag as a cape and the crowd going crazy , and he plays :boxing:
Man, I hope so!! I’ll be there!!
I mean lets say hes been playing hurt , but being who he is he just never rests his knee and keeps playing thru it. It cant heal because he wont dial it down a notch , he practices like he plays ...all out. So they make him rest so he can play this weekend , and they let him rest the next 2 weeks during the bye . If they win this week they are still in the running for the playoffs . Just a thought.
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Despite being listed as doubtful for Sunday due to a knee injury, Raiders’ Pro-Bowl DE Maxx Crosby plans to try to play Sunday vs. the Chiefs, per source. Crosby also has been sick all week and didn’t practice once, but he has, in the words of a source, “a real chance to play – and wants to.” Crosby began pushing to play Saturday, even though the Raiders have a bye week next week and some think it would be smart to take the two weeks to rest and recover; but Crosby is not of that mind and wants to try to play.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Raiders EDGE Max Crosby (knee) “fully expects to go” despite being listed as doubtful for Week 12 against the Chiefs.
Per Rapoport, the last time a player played through a doubtful tag was in 2020. It’s a stunningly rare occurrence, but Crosby appears to be the exception to the rule. Per Rapoport, he is “pushing to play,” though Rap didn’t confirm that he will be active. We expect his role to be severely limited if he suits up. The Raiders will likely deploy him primarily in obvious pass-rush situations. Crosby has 10.5 sacks and 14 TFLs this year.

Who` we? I get a kick outa these writers at Rotoworld , they very seldom have anything good to say about the Raiders team in general and offer some wild conclusions in their ''opinions''

The Good:
The team plays hard.
This looks like a legitimate, well functioning NFL offense.
The defense is better than years past.

The Bad:
Still only scored 17 points.
Although better I still don't like this defensive staff. Have they not seen how teams have had success limiting Kelce lately by double and triple teaming him and not playing zone?
Absolutely hated the decision to kick a FG up 7-0 on 4th and 1.

Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
same comment from me as I had after the Miami game.
I’m convinced that a skill position core of Jacobs, Adams, Meyers, Renfrow and Mayer is as good as we’ve had on offense in ages. Hopefully AOC continues to develop and we draft another rookie QB next year as well.
Reasonably optimistic.

The Good:
The team plays hard.
This looks like a legitimate, well functioning NFL offense.
The defense is better than years past.

The Bad:
Still only scored 17 points.
Although better I still don't like this defensive staff. Have they not seen how teams have had success limiting Kelce lately by double and triple teaming him and not playing zone?
Absolutely hated the decision to kick a FG up 7-0 on 4th and 1.
I think the defensive staff is doing the best with who they have to work with. While the D has been playing ok lately, it’s still very thin in the secondary and devoid of enough talent to keep up with the better offenses in the League on a consistent basis.
Watching the Baltimore defense play tonight, it’s night and day compared to the Raiders. You see the talent differences in players like S Kyle Hamilton and LBs Queen and Smith. The Raiders don’t have anyone with that level of talent and experience. It all boils down to the years of bad drafting and poor free agent signings.
Baltimore = stability and consistency
Las Vegas/Oakland = chaos and poor personnel decisions

Building foundations is as important as winning , the team is so close to being competitive with the top teams . Its coming if they dont anything drastic between now and next season. I know guys like Doc Holliday want to tear it down and start from scratch but i think thats a mistake .

Building foundations is as important as winning , the team is so close to being competitive with the top teams . Its coming if they dont anything drastic between now and next season. I know guys like Doc Holliday want to tear it down and start from scratch but i think thats a mistake .
I think the Raiders are in a weird spot. McD!p***t started rebuilding when he moved on from Carr. Now they’re in limbo. I don’t expect Adams or Jacobs will stick around after this season. Who does that leave as foundational players? Maxx and Kolton and then a bunch of unproven young guys, who have promise but they need to develop. Hobbs, Bennett, Diablo, Wilson have a long way to go. Spillane is good but he has his limitations. And on offense they have Tucker, Mayer, Parham and Meyers. Again, are there any future All Pros in that group? Maybe, I can definitely see Mayer getting there but for that to happen they need to solve the biggest problem and deficiency of all - the QB.

need to solve the biggest problem and deficiency of all - the QB.

They have the perfect stop gap to do that in AOC. Three more years after this one of UBER cheap contract to find solutions everywhere, including challengers to his position. He was not the main problem today. He sort of had been before at times. Sort of. Still like more than I don’t with the kid.

these last 5 games make all the difference in how things go. either the team does enough to keep AP in place and that means players like adams and jacobs stay. or else mark davis is going to bring in someone like harbaugh and personnel will be shaken up.

I just hope champ stays the GM and gets to pick his choice of head coach. maintain the power structure so we don't end up with the same thing mcdaniel and gruden did to the team. bad contracts and wasted draft picks. not retaining talent like mack. that's what happens when your head coach is also your GM.

on another note. the chargers just lost and it's clear their season is over. should make it easier playing against them when the players already know it's over for them until next year.

raiders should be playing hard through the end of the season trying to keep their coach. they have everything to fight for until the end.

I think the Raiders are in a weird spot. McD!p***t started rebuilding when he moved on from Carr. Now they’re in limbo. I don’t expect Adams or Jacobs will stick around after this season. Who does that leave as foundational players? Maxx and Kolton and then a bunch of unproven young guys, who have promise but they need to develop. Hobbs, Bennett, Diablo, Wilson have a long way to go. Spillane is good but he has his limitations. And on offense they have Tucker, Mayer, Parham and Meyers. Again, are there any future All Pros in that group? Maybe, I can definitely see Mayer getting there but for that to happen they need to solve the biggest problem and deficiency of all - the QB.
Why do you think that ? Contracts , money or they want out? If AP sticks around i see no reason why any of the current players would leave , now if AP is gone you may have a point. Thats where the ''dont do anything drastic '' comes into play . Keep the current nucleolus intact instead of changing everything ...again.

They have the perfect stop gap to do that in AOC. Three more years after this one of UBER cheap contract to find solutions everywhere, including challengers to his position. He was not the main problem today. He sort of had been before at times. Sort of. Still like more than I don’t with the kid.
AOC is making small strides , 248 yards passing with zero turnovers . Only 1 td but thats still progress as far as im concerned . He made a couple of great passes as well . Lets see how he looks after the bye , im sure the extra reps at practice will only help.

I like AOC and I think he’s growing and did a good job today. But we have a small sample size to judge him by and call him the QB of the future. I’m all for him getting his shot but I do think they should give him some legitimate competition next year with either another draft pick or vet QB and have him win the job.

Why do you think that ? Contracts , money or they want out? If AP sticks around i see no reason why any of the current players would leave , now if AP is gone you may have a point. Thats where the ''dont do anything drastic '' comes into play . Keep the current nucleolus intact instead of changing everything ...again.
Just a gut feeling. Davante has said many times publicly he doesn’t have time to wait, he’s in his prime. He came to Vegas to play with Carr, that was part of the deal to lure him away from Green Bay. He’s the ultimate professional and I think he’s all in this year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the opportunity for him to go to team with playoff aspirations and a stud QB he would jump ship.
Jacobs is on a one year deal right? The Raiders are really going to have to overpay to keep him. I have no idea what direction the organization wants to go there.

Just a gut feeling. Davante has said many times publicly he doesn’t have time to wait, he’s in his prime. He came to Vegas to play with Carr, that was part of the deal to lure him away from Green Bay. He’s the ultimate professional and I think he’s all in this year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the opportunity for him to go to team with playoff aspirations and a stud QB he would jump ship.
Jacobs is on a one year deal right? The Raiders are really going to have to overpay to keep him. I have no idea what direction the organization wants to go there.
Jacobs could be franchise tagged again. I believe if he was tagged again it would be about $13M. Not saying that will happen, but it's possible.

So the Raiders were outscored 31-3 after getting a 14 point lead in the first quarter.
It’s KC, I get it, but they’re beatable this year.
Even with McDummy gone they’re still struggling to score 20 pts. AOC is who he is right now, a rookie 4th round draft pick (playing better than the #1 overall pick I might add) that’s learning on the fly with a rookie OC who’s probably working with 1/4 of a playbook, it’s a tough situation.
I don’t think they need a full rebuild but I do think whether it’s AP as HC or someone else, the offense needs to be completely overhauled in the offseason.

I do think it is time to rebuild but it’s not like there is going to be drastic moves. The Raiders don’t have a bunch of valuable older players to trade. Adams is the only older player that holds enough value to trade for draft capital.
Since you don’t build teams around RB, Jacobs should be released unless he can be kept for cheap. LV should address the defense at all three levels, the O line, and then insert a QB on a cheap rookie contract.
Rebuilding requires much better drafting than has occurred for the last 10 years. The poor drafting is the main reason LV has been a below average team for most of the past twenty years.

I disagree about your take on Jacobs. He is worth paying because he is arguably one of the best RBs in the league. It is fashionable to say RBs don't matter, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest a elite RB matter a great deal. Where would the 9ers be without CMac?

While Adams is on the wrong side of 30, he is still elite and can show the WR room what it takes to be elite in the league. Unless they get a boatload in return he is worth keeping.

What the change in coaching has shown is that this team has the core to compete. I find it amusing that when a team disappoints then fans want to tear everythin g down for picks, that are crap shoots. Look at any draft, half the 1st round picks never pan out. When you view that stat thru the Raiders' recent draft history, I have no clue how anyone would want to trade known great players for a lotto entry.

You only replace talent with talent. Any other course of action will only lead to more mediocrity.

I like AOC and I think he’s growing and did a good job today. But we have a small sample size to judge him by and call him the QB of the future. I’m all for him getting his shot but I do think they should give him some legitimate competition next year with either another draft pick or vet QB and have him win the job.
Some thought the #Raiders would fall short against the Chiefs on account of their rookie quarterback.As it turned out, Aidan O’Connell had the second-highest QBR grade in the NFL in week 12…

I'm more than ok with a 2-2 result with the current state of the Raiders. This team isn't super bowl contenders, so we can stop measuring them against those teams in the league.
The score was ugly yesterday, but the game looked better than much of the past we were forced to watch.

O'Connell is playing at a far better level than we should expect from a 4th round rookie who didn't have a training camp to prepare.

And the team is finally making the appropriate player decisions since McDaniels was let go. Takes a set to role with O'Connell, and now they have released Marcus Peters after another poor showing yesterday. AP / Champ are setting a tone, and staying true to what they are speaking. IMO, no reason to make any changes ... give these guys time to learn.

Raiders
interim HC Antonio Pierce on Roderic Teamer release:"Whatever you do off the field, affects the decisions that are going to be made in this building. And we’re gonna do our best to protect the brand, the shield, and the Raiders organization."

The Raiders have released CB Marcus Peters. He had a interception return for a TD in Week 8, but was benched last night. The move saves the team $1.5 million in incentives that Peters was on pace to earn.

The Raiders have released CB Marcus Peters. He had a interception return for a TD in Week 8, but was benched last night. The move saves the team $1.5 million in incentives that Peters was on pace to earn.
Too many "business decisions" can be bad business.

I disagree about your take on Jacobs. He is worth paying because he is arguably one of the best RBs in the league. It is fashionable to say RBs don't matter, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest a elite RB matter a great deal. Where would the 9ers be without CMac?

While Adams is on the wrong side of 30, he is still elite and can show the WR room what it takes to be elite in the league. Unless they get a boatload in return he is worth keeping.

What the change in coaching has shown is that this team has the core to compete. I find it amusing that when a team disappoints then fans want to tear everythin g down for picks, that are crap shoots. Look at any draft, half the 1st round picks never pan out. When you view that stat thru the Raiders' recent draft history, I have no clue how anyone would want to trade known great players for a lotto entry.

You only replace talent with talent. Any other course of action will only lead to more mediocrity.
You have to replace aging talent with young talent. How many players do you think the Raiders need to be a top 5 team in the NFL? There is no reason to be a below average or even average team in the league unless you are on a path to greatness. I don’t see the Raiders getting to greatness in 2 years while Adams has something left in the tank.

I don’t see the Raiders getting to greatness in 2 years while Adams has something left in the tank.
You might want to ask the Texans about this.

We can do that. We have a good D. We have a solid OL. We have very good skill position players. When you get a QB it all changes. Everyone gets better.

You have to replace aging talent with young talent. How many players do you think the Raiders need to be a top 5 team in the NFL? There is no reason to be a below average or even average team in the league unless you are on a path to greatness. I don’t see the Raiders getting to greatness in 2 years while Adams has something left in the tank.
Adams has at least 2 elite years remaining, maybe more, if the QB play improves. Besides his play on the field, he can also be valuable as a mentor to the younger receivers. Finally, Adams is the type of player you want as the face of your franchise.

As to your question about Raiders being a top 5 team, the answer is related to hitting on their draft choices, which they have been terrible at doing.

Adams has at least 2 elite years remaining, maybe more, if the QB play improves. Besides his play on the field, he can also be valuable as a mentor to the younger receivers. Finally, Adams is the type of player you want as the face of your franchise.

As to your question about Raiders being a top 5 team, the answer is related to hitting on their draft choices, which they have been terrible at doing.
So far, from the little personnel moves that AP and Champ have made, it shows they arent afraid to let players go who arent playing hard or are an issue to the teams vibe and Raider brand .

The fact they they immediately made Aidan the starting QB over the high priced FA noodle arm Jimmy G says they are the opposite of McGoofy , which makes them light years better than him.

Im not privy to Champs past GM personnel decisions so i cant comment , but i read this ..... Kelly spent seven seasons in personnel and scouting with the Chicago Bears and eight seasons with the Denver Broncos. In his NFL career, his teams have won five division titles, one conference championship, appeared in Super Bowl XLVIII, and to date, players have earned a combined 58 Pro Bowl nominations and six Hall of Fame enshrinements.

Last edited:
There is no reason to be a below average or even average team in the league unless you are on a path to greatness.

This is the logic that leads to not just losing seasons but perpetually losing culture. The right approach is to try to compete with whatever you got every single time - game to game, year to year. Set THAT tone and keep bringing in competition via good drafting and carefully curated free agency. Raiders should build around the core talent they have right now b/c it isn't toxic or overpaid - Crosby, Adams, Jacobs, Miller, Hobbs and a small handful of steady contributors and risers after them are plenty to build around. If one of them asks to leave and they can get adequate compensation and/or it becomes toxic, then fine let them go. Otherwise, you don't let elite talent go while still elite. That is what loser franchises do.

I feel like this GM/head coach combo deserve a full offseason with a draft, OTAs, minicamps, free agency and training camp. if hardegree isn't the guy at OC, they can find someone I'm sure. would love to see what graham's defense can do with another draft and more of the cap devoted to it.

I feel like the best move is to stick with o'connell too. the 1st and 2nd round picks are needed in other areas. imagine drafting another stud OT, that alone would set the O line up for success for years and benefit any qb that starts. the defense has so many needs, but a stud DT will do wonders paired with maxx.

interim regime being quicker on personnel moves is exactly what is needed. being slow about those moves hurt the team a great deal under the previous gm/hc combo

In watching the highlights of O'Connell from the last 4 games, he has made some incredible throws. LOTS of room for improvement in other areas of his game. But he has some passes completed with touch and distance we simply did not see, and would not see, from Carr and Jimmy G.

In watching the highlights of O'Connell from the last 4 games, he has made some incredible throws. LOTS of room for improvement in other areas of his game. But he has some passes completed with touch and distance we simply did not see, and would not see, from Carr and Jimmy G.

Flashes are what you want to see from a rookie. AOC has had plenty of them for those paying close attention. If/when the game slows down for him, look out. Easier said, but if he can improve his pre- and immediate snap reads to get the ball out faster, he has an elite arm. It's not about velocity, it's about pacing and placement control and he has both in spades, unlike the vast majority of even NFL QBs.

There is no reason to be a below average or even average team in the league unless you are on a path to greatness.

This is the logic that leads to not just losing seasons but perpetually losing culture. The right approach is to try to compete with whatever you got every single time - game to game, year to year. Set THAT tone and keep bringing in competition via good drafting and carefully curated free agency. Raiders should build around the core talent they have right now b/c it isn't toxic or overpaid - Crosby, Adams, Jacobs, Miller, Hobbs and a small handful of steady contributors and risers after them are plenty to build around. If one of them asks to leave and they can get adequate compensation and/or it becomes toxic, then fine let them go. Otherwise, you don't let elite talent go while still elite. That is what loser franchises do.
I have never once wrote that the Raiders should roll over and try to lose games. I don’t even understand how that would happen. You think the coach asks the players to only give 60%? My point is that the Raiders are a couple of years away from being contenders if things go right and Adams is not going to be elite in 2026. The wise business move would be to trade him away for draft capital to build an O line and address the many holes on D.

How many players do the Raiders need to cheat KC or Philly? How many years will it take to obtain those players?

We are trending with Pierce. No penalty for the first time in almost 24 years. We have been holding our own better than before against this high level teams, we haven’t had much turnovers, etc. Pierce please come back !!
I looked at this a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it, but we're 3rd BEST in the league in penalties this year. A lot of that credit is going to go to McDaniels and that's fine by me as long as we maintain it. Seems the prior regime did do something right after all.

How many players do the Raiders need to cheat KC or Philly? How many years will it take to obtain those players?
I answered this question in my previous post. The snarky answer would be a lot more if the team moved on from Adams and Jacobs. These are silly questions IMO because:
  1. Not all players are equal. One Crosby = multiple good defensive players
  2. Every year there is a churn of team rosters due FA, injuries and players aging out.

Cheat? I assume you meant to type beat (but that is funny). I think the team is a lot closer than your questions imply. They are 5-7 but lost 3 games they might have won with AP (Steelers, Chargers and Bears). If they get the right coach in place and optimize their draft picks I can see this team make a dramatic turnaround.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread