What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (3 Viewers)

For his own good there should be no reason he sees the field in a season game.
100%. Even the GOAT sat and watched. However, by fall, Brian Hoyer may be the only thing keeping the crowd from shouting for McDonald's new GOAT.
Why? He was, something like the 7th (10th?) QB off the board? What are they protecting? Throw him in the deep end!

Worst possible outcome is a middling draft pick and still not knowing what O'Connell brings table in 2024.

But the bottom line is Garoppolo is good enough to take a good team to a Super Bowl.
If you gave Carr a top ten defense, he would be good enough to take a good team to the SB as well. Also, add in another 2 yards of YAC/C that Jimmy G enjoyed over Carr in SF with guys like Deebo (Jimmy G range of 6.5-7.6 over the Niner years vs 5.0-5.9 of Carr over the same years) which adds another 600-800 ish yards over a year for Carr if he got that. Jimmy G has been blessed with being in some extremely advantageous situations for him. Credit to him for not sucking horribly when he has been in those but as much as Carr isn't the answer, neither is Jimmy G. We not only did not get better at QB but we traded an extremely durable QB with an extremely not durable QB who turns out to actually not even be healthy as is.

Carr was never the problem. Getting rid of him just added another problem for us. That is what I hate about all of this. Hopes and prayers of something good happening does not win games. If you are moving on from a guy like Carr then you damn well ought to have a real plan B. We clearly do not and now we are hoping we end up 1-16 to get the best QB prospect in a while. Chances are.... we don't and we continue doing the same thing we did for 20 years before Carr which was rotating through guys like Tuisasosopo, Walter, Bradkowski, Frye, Boller, McGloin... and blowing draft picks on guys like Russell and Pryor hoping and praying we get average QB play let along good QB play.

We don't have a plan. And that sucks. It sucks being a fan of a team that sucks year in and year out.

You guys are crazy with O'Connell. He may or may not be an NFL QB. His apparent strengths fit the system but he is not NFL ready right now. He needs time to develop. For his own good there should be no reason he sees the field in a season game.
Why? To protect the deep 7-10 to 10-7 run this team is poised to make?

Tape up Garoppolo as long as he can hold together and then throw in the kid and let him sink-or-swim.
IMO nothing will destroy the potential of a QB than forcing them on to the field earlier than they ought to be out there. This offense is not a simple one. I don't know much about the Purdue offense but from my reading on O'Connell it seemed to be an offense that you make your pre-snap read and decide where the ball goes. A QB doing that in the NFL will get eaten alive.

You can't teach accuracy. O'Connell has it. You can teach the system but it takes time. You also can't teach confidence and once that is destroyed, it is pretty much impossible to rebuild it.

O'Connell should be #3 emergency QB (they passed that rule, right?) and forgotten about this year.

But the bottom line is Garoppolo is good enough to take a good team to a Super Bowl.
If you gave Carr a top ten defense, he would be good enough to take a good team to the SB as well. Also, add in another 2 yards of YAC/C that Jimmy G enjoyed over Carr in SF with guys like Deebo (Jimmy G range of 6.5-7.6 over the Niner years vs 5.0-5.9 of Carr over the same years) which adds another 600-800 ish yards over a year for Carr if he got that. Jimmy G has been blessed with being in some extremely advantageous situations for him. Credit to him for not sucking horribly when he has been in those but as much as Carr isn't the answer, neither is Jimmy G. We not only did not get better at QB but we traded an extremely durable QB with an extremely not durable QB who turns out to actually not even be healthy as is.

Carr was never the problem. Getting rid of him just added another problem for us. That is what I hate about all of this. Hopes and prayers of something good happening does not win games. If you are moving on from a guy like Carr then you damn well ought to have a real plan B. We clearly do not and now we are hoping we end up 1-16 to get the best QB prospect in a while. Chances are.... we don't and we continue doing the same thing we did for 20 years before Carr which was rotating through guys like Tuisasosopo, Walter, Bradkowski, Frye, Boller, McGloin... and blowing draft picks on guys like Russell and Pryor hoping and praying we get average QB play let along good QB play.

We don't have a plan. And that sucks. It sucks being a fan of a team that sucks year in and year out.
Come on Chad. I have marched with you in lockstep for nine years about the "shoulda/woulda/coulda" of Carr. In reality we end up with, maybe. We have no idea what Carr could manage in different circumstances we only know what he has managed in his circumstances. And that's been moments of greatness surrounded by seas of frustration.

And YAC is a two way street BTW. It's not as if you simply throw a ball anywhere within the catch radius of a receiver they will automatically gain a set amount of YAC. Putting the ball somewhere the receiver can actually make plays after the catch is a massive component of YAC. YAC involves timing and repetition and anticipation and accuracy and etc. Garoppolo is 3% more accurate overall than Carr on his career and his career low Y/A is 7.8 while Carr's career high is 7.9 Y/A. We can say it's all system and coaching but that argument is tinged with magical thinking.

I love Carr. I will be thrilled if he takes New Orleans to a Super Bowl win. Truly, I will be thrilled but we can't simply say that if Carr were on Garoppolo's teams he would have performed better, or even equal to. It's a maybe, at best. This season we will (may) at least get a glimpse of what Garoppolo can do on one of Carr's teams.

Getting rid of Carr hurt but, it's been nine seasons what more did Raider fans really need to see from him? The team moved on and it was the right choice. I am still waiting to hear what exactly would have been the benefit of keeping him. Would this have been the year that Sam & Diane finally made it happen?

I’ll never understand why they let Stidham walk. I thought he was next man up. Why spend all this money (if he’s healthy per contract) on JimmyG when Stidham proved he was capable of running the offense. Just makes no sense. I’m with Davante on all this…
Because Stidham is mediocre at best? He had a first game that many consider to have been a coming out party while ignoring two game killing INTs in the fourth quarter and OT. He followed that up with a mediocre 61%, 219 y, 1 TD, 1 INT performance at home against a middle of the pack KC defense. I'd be fine with keeping and starting Stidham but only in the same way that I am with O'Connell. If it works out, that's awesome and if he falters and it leads to a shot at Caleb Williams that's even better.

And the Raiders have the option to spend nothing on Garoppolo if he can't play.

Come on Chad. I have marched with you in lockstep for nine years about the "shoulda/woulda/coulda" of Carr. In reality we end up with, maybe. We have no idea what Carr could manage in different circumstances we only know what he has managed in his circumstances. And that's been moments of greatness surrounded by seas of frustration.

And YAC is a two way street BTW. It's not as if you simply throw a ball anywhere within the catch radius of a receiver they will automatically gain a set amount of YAC. Putting the ball somewhere the receiver can actually make plays after the catch is a massive component of YAC. YAC involves timing and repetition and anticipation and accuracy and etc. Garoppolo is 3% more accurate overall than Carr on his career and his career low Y/A is 7.8 while Carr's career high is 7.9 Y/A. We can say it's all system and coaching but that argument is tinged with magical thinking.

I love Carr. I will be thrilled if he takes New Orleans to a Super Bowl win. Truly, I will be thrilled but we can't simply say that if Carr were on Garoppolo's teams he would have performed better, or even equal to. It's a maybe, at best. This season we will (may) at least get a glimpse of what Garoppolo can do on one of Carr's teams.

Getting rid of Carr hurt but, it's been nine seasons what more did Raider fans really need to see from him? The team moved on and it was the right choice. I am still waiting to hear what exactly would have been the benefit of keeping him. Would this have been the year that Sam & Diane finally made it happen?
The thing is, if you are going to compare what Carr can/can't do with what Jimmy G can/can't do you have to take into account everything. Football isn't an individual sport. This is even more true if you are going to use record and going to the SB as part of it.

Jimmy G did not take the Niners to the SB. He just happened to be the QB when they went. Seriously. Was there any drop off of with the offense with Purdy at QB? No. They actually got better on offense. This is why the Niners... were did not retain him.

You can't sit there and tell me that having Deebo and Aiyuk don't make a difference. The Niner offense lives and thrives off of a dominant running game and then getting these guys the ball quickly and letting them do the work. Oh and playing dang good defense too. Adams is the best WR in the league in my view. His YAC, with Carr was the second best he has had since 2018 having a somewhat decent QB throw to him. So, if you are saying Carr doesn't place the ball to allow YAC, you are saying the same of a HOF all time one of the best. Meanwhile, Deebo gets more than half of his yards every year from YAC. In fact, actually, in 2020 he actually had more YAC than total receiving yards (that is insane). This isn't magical thinking but analysis based on stats and watching games.

Carr is gone. I concede that Jimmy G is a better system fit than Carr. Right now, it isn't about being upset that we moved on from Carr. It is about being upset that we moved on from Carr with nothing back. That we have no plan to move on from him. That we bring in a QB that has a major history of injuries and not playing while actually being injured currently. That we let go the QB we had close out the system to get a look at and played decently we enough. That we are clearly back to being the laughing stock of the league year in and year out after having some hope we finally were making progress.

I reject any argument that uses record to say that is why we should move on from Carr because it just doesn't make any sense and even more so when you throw in Jimmy G's record. As if these guys were solely responsible for both. No. Jimmy G has played for two winning organizations that make good decision after good decision and put together competitive teams year in and year out. Carr played for an organization that has no clue what it is doing for the last two decades and my hope that we could turn it around is near dead because it is clear we do not have a plan. We have hope and prayers.

I am sick of hope and prayers. I have no faith in Davis. I have very little hope left in McD. I have marginal hope in Z (based on what seems to be two decent drafts). I am just tired of this.

You can't sit there and tell me that having Deebo and Aiyuk don't make a difference.
I had to stop and comment here, I'll get to the rest in a moment.

Brandon Aiyuk? Is he really part of the argument for Garoppolo having an excellent Y/A year over year?

Garoppolo can't stay healthy, that's the knock on him. On the way to the Super Bowl he led the #2 scoring offense (#4 yardage) and 8.4 y/a with a rookie Deebo, George Kittle and...?

Maybe Carr would have done better but...really?

Aiyuk... c'mon.

I am just tired of this.
Don't take it personally. No team that you ever root for, from peewee to professional, cares about you. Whatever, no Davis ever asked me how my day was. Haven't received a single call or card from a Raider after my cat was killed last weekend. So don't give too much emotion to any of them. Just root for them and move on.

I want the Raiders to win it all every year but, I'm fine if they don't. And now I have the added benefit that if it means Tom Brady is failing, I'm okay with the Raiders failing.

GO RAIDERS!!!

Or not, whatever.

I’ll never understand why they let Stidham walk. I thought he was next man up. Why spend all this money (if he’s healthy per contract) on JimmyG when Stidham proved he was capable of running the offense. Just makes no sense. I’m with Davante on all this…
Because Stidham is mediocre at best? He had a first game that many consider to have been a coming out party while ignoring two game killing INTs in the fourth quarter and OT. He followed that up with a mediocre 61%, 219 y, 1 TD, 1 INT performance at home against a middle of the pack KC defense. I'd be fine with keeping and starting Stidham but only in the same way that I am with O'Connell. If it works out, that's awesome and if he falters and it leads to a shot at Caleb Williams that's even better.

And the Raiders have the option to spend nothing on Garoppolo if he can't play.
Stidham needs more reps. I’m surprised that two starts (one against the best D in the league, the other against the SB Champs with no home field advantage) was enough to decide he wouldn’t become the bridge QB. But like others say around here: aawtfdik.
And sorry about your cat. That sucks…

You can't sit there and tell me that having Deebo and Aiyuk don't make a difference.
I had to stop and comment here, I'll get to the rest in a moment.

Brandon Aiyuk? Is he really part of the argument for Garoppolo having an excellent Y/A year over year?

Garoppolo can't stay healthy, that's the knock on him. On the way to the Super Bowl he led the #2 scoring offense (#4 yardage) and 8.4 y/a with a rookie Deebo, George Kittle and...?

Maybe Carr would have done better but...really?

Aiyuk... c'mon.
He has better YAC numbers than Adams (again, whether Rodgers or Carr).

As for the 2019 Niners... they had two RB's with over 5 YPC and two more basically at 4 YPC. Kittle had over 1K yards and Deebo was Deebo. All they did was run and then pass to Deebo short and let him make something of it or get the ball to Kittle to keep the defenses from putting 10 in the box. But more importantly they had a top ten defense. 2nd best in yards given up and 8th best in scoring allowed. Look before and after Jimmy G. Same story.... different QB's. Just plug and play. Play great D and let the playmakers make plays. Jimmy G has been cursed with good looks and being on great teams... well... until now... that is if his foot holds up, then his luck runs out.

I am just tired of this.
Don't take it personally. No team that you ever root for, from peewee to professional, cares about you. Whatever, no Davis ever asked me how my day was. Haven't received a single call or card from a Raider after my cat was killed last weekend. So don't give too much emotion to any of them. Just root for them and move on.

I want the Raiders to win it all every year but, I'm fine if they don't. And now I have the added benefit that if it means Tom Brady is failing, I'm okay with the Raiders failing.

GO RAIDERS!!!

Or not, whatever.
:lmao:
Your hate of Brady burns brighter than a thousands suns.
:lmao:

Was there any drop off of with the offense with Purdy at QB? No. They actually got better on offense. This is why the Niners... were did not retain him.
we’ve been over this. They didn’t get better. Stayed about the same. Which supports the system fit and the fact that SF is a damn good team.

all things being equal. I’d rather have jimmy g. Sure there’s a HUGE injury risk. But IMHO he’s a better player than carr.

and I’m happy to take bets that jimmy g is under center to start the season. Y’all are severely over reacting.

Agree

Stidham looked great against the 49ers. Like he had been running the offense all season instead of getting his first start. Made some amazing throws and put up 34 points against a top defense. Good size and mobility. Only 26. Made no sense to let him get away and then pay Jimmy. I know I'm just a fan and lack all the supernatural knowledge of NFL GMs, but watching Jimmy weekly for the last 6 years (well, when he plays anyway), he's in the bottom half of NFL starting QBs. Nothing special about him. Wish that wasn't true, because SF would have another title or 2 if he was. Good guy and all and I wish him the best in LV, but he is what he is.

Stidham looked great against the 49ers. Like he had been running the offense all season instead of getting his first start. Made some amazing throws and put up 34 points against a top defense.
Everyone ignores the two game killing INTs against SF (Carr would have been eviscerated for that) and everyone ignores the dud he laid against the middle-of-the-pack KC defense the following game.

I'd be fine with keeping him but both Belichick and McDaniels letting him walk suggests Stidham is JAG.

Stidham looked great against the 49ers. Like he had been running the offense all season instead of getting his first start. Made some amazing throws and put up 34 points against a top defense.
Everyone ignores the two game killing INTs against SF (Carr would have been eviscerated for that) and everyone ignores the dud he laid against the middle-of-the-pack KC defense the following game.
One of the picks against SF was a batted ball that went straight up in the air. It happens. The one that Gibson picked looked like a terrible throw, but if you watch the replay, Miller got manhandled and pushed back into Stidham and hit his arm on the follow through which impacted the throw. Guy had a great game.

Nobody said he was the answer, but neither is Jimmy. I don't remember Jimmy making throws like Stidham made that game in his 6 years in SF.

I'd be fine with keeping him but both Belichick and McDaniels letting him walk suggests Stidham is JAG.
A better JAG than Hoyer. :shrug:

A younger, more talented JAG

We'll always have Paris.

We'll always have Paris.
In the fall.

The Grop is the ultimate JAG. If he were healthy, I'd be okay with the decision to sign him as a stop-gap solution for 2023-24. Broken foot should've made him a very easy pass for Stidham or Mayfield types who are healthy. I think Jimmy's cap figure is more than double both of those guys combined for this year. They sunk $22 MM of the 2023 allocation into a guy who had mobility issues even when his feet were sound. Even if they cut him and save that money, there is nothing left to spend it on for this season. It was such a weird and dumb move. Even if it pans out and Grop comes back to his old jaggy form, it was still a weird and dumb move all considered. That is what gnaws most - the thought that Mork & McDonalds are just plain incompetent, b/c while Jimmy can be moved on from rather quickly, those two cannot.

Even if they cut him and save that money, there is nothing left to spend it on for this season. It was such a weird and dumb move.
Isn't there a provision where, under certain conditions, unused cap space can be carried over into the following season?

Speaking with Sports Illustrated's Robin Lundberg, Tom Brady said, "I'm certain I'm not playing again" when questioned about the possibility of a return.​

In other news: Liars have been known to lie. Then they justify being Liars by saying deeply philosophical stuff like "Well, I believed it when I said it." and "I know you are but what am I?" and "LOOK!!! The Good Year Blimp!!!"

Even if they cut him and save that money, there is nothing left to spend it on for this season. It was such a weird and dumb move.
Isn't there a provision where, under certain conditions, unused cap space can be carried over into the following season?

Yes, but that doesn't help 2023. I don't want to hear about the beauty of tanking for a high pick. Tanking is a loser's mentality.

Yes, but that doesn't help 2023. I don't want to hear about the beauty of tanking for a high pick. Tanking is a loser's mentality.
How has the Raiders "winning mentality" helped them out since 2002?

It kind of feels like we have been tanking for two decades.

Not intentionally.

Not intentionally.
Cutting bait with Garoppolo with his 8 start ceiling, and rolling $22 mil into 2024 isn't intentionally tanking either. It's forward thinking.

Not intentionally.
I am not sure if that is better or not. :cry:

I love being the most positive guy in here these days. :lmao:

i am certain the dreamboat will be under center for game 1 after that? Who knows.
I am willing to bet he isn't under center for 16 games.
only Misses 2 games? Sounds pretty good!

What’s your over under?
I am trying to be optimistic. He has only done 16 once.
So 15 games. One missed due to a stripper having a baby and not needing to play game 17 because the playoff seed is already locked up? I’ll take it.

I love being the most positive guy in here these days. :lmao:

i am certain the dreamboat will be under center for game 1 after that? Who knows.
I am willing to bet he isn't under center for 16 games.
only Misses 2 games? Sounds pretty good!

What’s your over under?
I am trying to be optimistic. He has only done 16 once.
So 15 games. One missed due to a stripper having a baby and not needing to play game 17 because the playoff seed is already locked up? I’ll take it.
No, I think a decent over/under for him is 10.

Users who are viewing this thread