What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NY Giants - (Schoen & Daboll episode 2 – Danny turns Dimes into Dollars) (1 Viewer)

I don't even think Giants need to give that many years, to be honest. 3 year/$43.5 million with $24 million guaranteed. WIth all the void years/"funny money" accounting in the NFL It's the amount of years that make a contract unpalatable, and the Giants can make the 3rd year a team option at $14.5 million.

Year 1: $15 million
Year 2: $14.5 million
Year 3: $14 million, Team option

He gets more AAV upfront with the value declining;
His 2023 Cap hit is $10M ... they are going to want to decrease that if he signs a new deal

Offer something like this ...
$37.5M year $10M Signing Bonus - $27M Guaranteed (2023/2024 Base Salary Fully Guaranteed) ($2M of 2025 Base Salary Garanteed)
If cut after 2024 his AAV is $13.5M
If plays through 2025 his AAV is $12.5M
YearBase SalaryProrated BonusRoster BonusWorkout BonusCap Number
2023$ 5,000,000$ 2,500,000$ 250,000$ 250,000$ 8,000,000
2024$ 10,000,000$ 2,500,000$$$ 12,500,000
2025$ 12,000,000$ 2,500,000$$$ 14,500,000
2026Void$ 2,500,000$Void$ 2,500,000

"Alex Golesh has been going a million miles an hour since he took over as head coach at the University of South Florida in December. He will, however, slow down to make sure he doesn't miss one big piece along the way. "We're looking for the next Jalin Hyatt," the former Tennessee offensive coordinator said on a recent episode of the "Giants Huddle" podcast.....

"I think you can either play receiver or you can't," he said. "I think when that question comes up, it's because people don't understand what we do and that's exactly how we want it. When people don't understand what's going on, they tend to create reasons why it should work or shouldn't work. He's a high-level receiver. He can run any route. He can catch any ball. Obviously, he's young, he's got to develop just like any receiver out of any offense, and it's the New York Giants' job to coach him to do that...."

Todays the Day !

Will Saquon Barkley, NY Giants beat today's deadline and make a deal?​

Giants and Saquon have until 4pm est. to sign a long term extension otherwise Saquon will have to play under the $10M Franchise tag or sit out.Barkley and the Giants would not be allowed to revisit talks for a new contract extension until after the 2023 season.
IMO ... Sitting out would be Financial/Career suicide for Saquon

Not unexpected....

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report

Sources: Saquon Barkley will not report to #Giants training camp.

I'm off to watch Eric Gray highlights.

Not unexpected....

I watched a lot of his highlights and I've been listening to a ton of pod casts about him ...
He will be a 3 down back in the NFL ... He's not Saquon but Saquon is a luxury not a necessity ... imo
Gray can run, catch and is good in pass pro

Last edited:
Not unexpected....

I watched a lot of his highlights and I've been listening to a ton of pod casts about him ...
He will be a 3 down back in the NFL ... He's not Saquon but Saquon is a luxury not a necessity ... imo

Daniel Jones' QB rating without Saquon suggest that Saquon is indeed a necessity.
DJ QB rating without Saquon 77.3
DJ QB rating with Saquon 91.4

I doubt Saquon misses more than 2 games if he decides to show his unhappiness

I love Saquon. He’s the first Giants jersey I’ve owned since LT when I was 8 years old. But the Gmen were absolutely correct in holding firm here. The RB market is extremely depressed and they can get 75% replacement level value at a less than 50% of the cost. They are much better riding him on a franchise tag and, even if he outperforms, tag him again.

Sucks for him for sure. His only leverage is to miss games but, let’s be honest nobody thinks that is going to happen. He’s too good a guy and it only hurts him long term. This isn’t the same RB market Le’Veon Bell sat out in and there’s no Mike Macaggnan to pay him stupid money if he does.

I love Saquon. He’s the first Giants jersey I’ve owned since LT when I was 8 years old. But the Gmen were absolutely correct in holding firm here. The RB market is extremely depressed and they can get 75% replacement level value at a less than 50% of the cost. They are much better riding him on a franchise tag and, even if he outperforms, tag him again.

Sucks for him for sure. His only leverage is to miss games but, let’s be honest nobody thinks that is going to happen. He’s too good a guy and it only hurts him long term. This isn’t the same RB market Le’Veon Bell sat out in and there’s no Mike Macaggnan to pay him stupid money if he does.

Hopefully Sauon can learn from this ...

Le'Veon Bell regrets holding out, leaving Steelers: 'I should never have left'​

Not unexpected....

Daniel Jones' QB rating without Saquon suggest that Saquon is indeed a necessity.
DJ QB rating without Saquon 77.3
DJ QB rating with Saquon 91.4

I doubt Saquon misses more than 2 games if he decides to show his unhappiness
I dont put to much weight on this ... It's was mostly 2020 when this team was an absolute mess ... Coaching Oline Weapons etc ...
Losing the only real weapon would hurt just about any QB .... but I dont think this would have nearly the same impact on the current team

2021 - Giants went 2-2 without Barkley ....Jones had 3 really good games (95.9 , 96.1, and 104.2) and 1 really bad game against the eventual SB Winning Rams

Last edited:
What is the point of Saquon holding out of camp if he and the Giants are no longer able to negotiate until next season ???
His only leverage is to demand a trade ... i guess?

Why would someone trade picks and pay Saquon $15m a year when they could sign Dalvin Cook or Fournette for half that ???

This is starting to piss me off ... He should have taken the $22-$23 Milion offer instead he's willing to FU his career?

I'm starting to think that this all means two things:

1. The Giants do not think Barkley has multiple years of top performance left, and may actually prefer to have him on a 1-year deal with freedom to go another way in 2024. Schoen probably stretched a bit beyond what he really wanted to do to even make him the multi-year offers, perhaps because he figures to outperform the FA options over the next couple of years; but wasn't going to get tied to a lot of guaranteed money that would limit flexibility. Once the offer was rejected he was fine to move onto another plan.
2. Perhaps even more important, the future of the Giants offensive success hinges mainly on Daniel Jones' development, and also of the offensive line finally gelling. If those things don't happen, the Giants will not will a super bowl with the current cast of characters, and will have to tear down the offense in two years (they can get out of Jones' contract at that point) and start over with a new QB. In that scenario, it won't matter who the RB is, so no reason to pay Barkley.

1. The Giants do not think Barkley has multiple years of top performance left, and may actually prefer to have him on a 1-year deal with freedom to go another way in 2024. Schoen probably stretched a bit beyond what he really wanted to do to even make him the multi-year offers, perhaps because he figures to outperform the FA options over the next couple of years; but wasn't going to get tied to a lot of guaranteed money that would limit flexibility. Once the offer was rejected he was fine to move onto another plan.
2. Perhaps even more important, the future of the Giants offensive success hinges mainly on Daniel Jones' development, and also of the offensive line finally gelling. If those things don't happen, the Giants will not will a super bowl with the current cast of characters, and will have to tear down the offense in two years (they can get out of Jones' contract at that point) and start over with a new QB. In that scenario, it won't matter who the RB is, so no reason to pay Barkley.
You can draft a brand spanking new RB like Bijon Robinson for 5 years when the time comes
Just realized this
Saquons rookie deal was $31M
Bijon Robinsons deal was $22M ... 5 years later

Saquon ****ed Up ... It sux but it's his own fault

You can draft a brand spanking new RB like Bijon Robinson for 5 years when the time comes
Just realized this

As far as the money goes you need to compare the draft slot not the player’s position.
Saquon was the #2 pick
Bijan was the #8 pick

The #2 pick this year was CJ Stroud his contract is worth 39.3 million
The #8 pick in 2018 was Roquan Smith his rookie deal was worth about 18 million

Time will tell if Saquon f'ed up or not. He is set to make 10 million this year. (assuming he signs the franchise tag)

Just realized this

Just realized this

As far as the money goes you need to compare the draft slot not the player’s position.
Saquon was the #2 pick
Bijan was the #8 pick

The #2 pick this year was CJ Stroud his contract is worth 39.3 million
The #8 pick in 2018 was Roquan Smith his rookie deal was worth about 18 million

Time will tell if Saquon f'ed up or not. He is set to make 10 million this year. (assuming he signs the franchise tag)
Yeah I get that ,,, but most will say he was drafted to high and he really only had 2 years that his performance matched his draft slot. So he was more then fairly compensated amd $22-23M would have been a nice security blanket. Now hes gotta worry about getting injured and losing out on an additional $12-13m

Giants Rumors: Cole Beasley Agrees to Contract After Bills, Buccaneers Stints​

Damn ... Lot of Receivers on Board ...should be a helluva competition

James Robinson, Giants Agree to Contract amid Saquon Barkley Rumors Ahead of Camp​

Damn ... RB competition is getting good as well
I think Beasley could be a real threat to start here. He's obviously well versed in the system, and Shepard and Wan'Dale are both coming off injury. My guess is wek 1 will be Hodgins/Slayton/Campbell, but none of those guys are locks to start. I also wonder if Campbell can play outside.

Robinson is probably more of a camp body, or insurance if Barkley actually holds out.

"....Six players were placed on the physically unable to perform list. Five of them tore ACLs playing for the Giants last season: wide receivers Sterling Shepard and Wan'Dale Robinson, cornerback Aaron Robinson, defensive tackle D.J. Davidson and guard Marcus McKethan (who was injured in a preseason practice).
The sixth player on PUP is defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson,...."

with the extra $5mm cap this year from AT's signing, i'd look at a pass rusher. KT and Ojulari haven't been the healthiest.
I’m guessing they aren’t done yet with the salary moves. Can see them doing something with Adore and probably moving on from Holmes which would free up a few million.

Users who are viewing this thread