What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 RB Lotto Ticket Rankings (2 Viewers)

Nice thread!

Robinson ceiling = Adrian Peterson
Gibbs ceiling = L Tomlinson

In Buffalo I could argue Cook himself is the kingmaker as his ADP is way too low.

In Cinci, Brown is 3rd down but Chris Evans would take over for an injured Mixon (from what I've read).

Rico Dawdle should be high on everyone’s list.

Pollard gets knicked up, he’s likely to be mighty valuable in a hurry.
Curious about your thoughts on Deuce Vaughn in that backfield. Looking at Yahoo % Rostered, Duece is ~20% vs. Dowdle at 1%.
I believe Deuce has fallen behind Dawdle on the depth chart. He's looked great and should have a role. How touches are divvied up behind Pollard will be interesting.

One note about Deuce is that Dawdle has has his fair share of getting knicked up over the years.

Curious about your thoughts on Deuce Vaughn in that backfield. Looking at Yahoo % Rostered, Duece is ~20% vs. Dowdle at 1%.
I believe Deuce has fallen behind Dawdle on the depth chart. He's looked great and should have a role. How touches are divvied up behind Pollard will be interesting.

One note about Deuce is that Dawdle has has his fair share of getting knicked up over the years.

Not gonna lie. I had to look up who the hell Dawdle was. I recognized the name obviously, but couldn't tell u one thing about him.

Last edited:

Not gonna lie. I had to look up who the hell Dawdle was. I recognized the name obviously, but could tell u one thing about him.
Happens to the best of us. FF comes at you fast.

In Cinci, Brown is 3rd down but Chris Evans would take over for an injured Mixon (from what I've read).
I've understood Evans to be the likely 3rd down back after a solid preseason.

Not a lot of positive buzz on Brown... and it has sounded like he is clearly behind Evans on the depth chart... but almost think this might shake out the other way around. If Mixon were injured, while a committee is almost a certainty, I think Brown might be the one to benefit most on early downs.

News on the 3rd Kingsmaker. Hope you have have him because if you did, you got him CHEAP in drafts.

Samaje Perine -

(fantasypros) Samaje Perine, who the Broncos signed in the offseason, has a real chance to be the lead-back for a large part of the 2023 season.

Analysis: Perine has shown an elite ability as a pass-catcher out of the backfield in Cincinnati, as he finished in the top 15 of yards per route run among all RBs in 2022. Now in Denver, with the uncertainty surrounding Javonte Williams' health, Perine may be the go-to back for a big chunk of the season. With Sean Payton in town, Russell Wilson may check it down more, especially given the lack of depth at WR on the roster. This gives Perine an elite upside to begin the season. Perine is currently going as the RB39 in half-PPR leagues and is a prime candidate to outperform that ADP early. Perine is an excellent buy-low, sell-high candidate to add to your team in the later rounds, especially to offset the risk of drafting someone like Alvin Kamara.

I suppose the Dewayne McBride lottery ticket was put into the shredder by most. I’ll still hang on for awhile, but won’t hesitate to kick to the curb for another roster clogger. I see it all the time where fantasy folks think more of players than the NFL does. Zach Evans is another example. I’m guilty.

Thanks for this thread. really helps confirm and inform on the RB situation after the stars. I wish there was something like this discussing WRs for WR2 or backups.

Yea, definitely on the radar. I was glad to deep dive in this thread because it resulted in me seeing him for the first time. His history in the league is pretty interesting. Basically a third year unknown due to injury and that is why we usually put rookies up imo because the ceiling could be great. I'd like to see a thread in the sharkpool onn him actually and see some more curated preseason news on him from Cowboys fans. Vaughn gets a lot of eyes but I care more about Rico I think!

Thanks for this thread. really helps confirm and inform on the RB situation after the stars. I wish there was something like this discussing WRs for WR2 or backups.
I can try to make that happen, but the quality will be way lower since so many more Wideouts in general. It would be more reliant on the groupthink of people adding in takes. Which makes the thread so much better!

Mostert
count with
Wilson
going to IR and
Achane
injured?
Totally, the opportunity is open for
Mostert
to be the RB1 for Miami.
Who are you targeting in the last round or two....go.
If you have IR slot, I grab Jeff Wilson. I love optimizing my number of RB lotto tickets and you get an extra player to hit the lotto by doing this and then going into free agency for another player. I'm also a Bears fan and got Roschon from free agency after switching Wilson to IR.

Mostert
count with
Wilson
going to IR and
Achane
injured?
Mostert
to be the RB1 for Miami.
If you have IR slot, I grab Jeff Wilson. I love optimizing my number of RB lotto tickets and you get an extra player to hit the lotto by doing this and then going into free agency for another player. I'm also a Bears fan and got Roschon from free agency after switching Wilson to IR.
That's assuming his owner drops him and doesn't just put him on their I.R. spot, of course.

Couple mentioned before here but just wanted to highlight a few guys (not really in any order):

Tucker - big buyer. I don’t see it with White.

Dowdle - brings something the other guys don’t have with his size. He’s stuck around there a few years despite a lot of injuries. May finally get a chance to be the complement to Pollard.

Chris Evans - he was a bit of a darling last summer and into last preseason but never caught on. Perine took everything Mixon didn’t have, Williams took special teams, and Evans was in the cold. From everything the beat writers have said, Evans has had the best camp of his career and firmly established himself as the RB2. I know Brown is there, and Williams (who has been hurt), but Evans is big at 220lbs and has an excellent passing game skill set. I’m intrigued.

Josh Kelley - classic post-hype sleeper. Everyone wanted him to be the Melvin Gordon heir when he was drafted out of UCLA. It’s taken some time, but he’s steadily improved. Played well last year after everyone assumed the drafting of Spiller spelled the end of Kelley, and again this summer and preseason he’s consistently stayed ahead of Spiller. Ekeler has consistently said (even on his podcast with Matt Harmon this last week) he’s at his best with someone taking that big back role. Add in Kellen Moore coming from Zeke/Pollard usage, and Kelley likely has standalone value with absolute smash upside if Ekeler gets dinged.

Chris Brooks - I’m not sure what happens in Miami, but anytime a UDFA makes a roster, it makes you take notice. Add in the Jeff Wilson injury and zero additions from the FA wire, and it makes me think Miami is comfortable for now. Brooks is a big dude with good vision and some shiftiness and explosion. He doesn’t have long speed, but neither did past successes in the Shanny system (like Alfred Morris). Mostert and Achane aren’t what you think of for short yardage or grinding carries. This one merits a close eye. Check out some of the tweets from CK Parrot showing Brooks’ touches and vision.

Justice Hill - this one is a long shot, but Hill was playing extremely well as a complement early last year before a calf strain (IIRC) robbed him of a month or so. New OC supposedly prioritizing passing involvement with the backs, and the team keeping another UDFA in Keaton Mitchell in the same smaller, quicker, receiving mold. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hill has a significant role out of the gate, and keep an eye on Mitchell as well, though he’s Warrick Dunn sized.

Keep an eye on Emmanuel Wilson in Green Bay. Another UDFA making a roster. Another big dude with some vision and explosiveness. He’s got a muddy path to relevance, but file the name away.

Last one - Keaontay Ingram was a good college recruit, has some solid skills, and probably gets a look this year. Maybe more of a dynasty play, but he’s behind an old, brittle player, and Ingram has a 3-down skill set.

I think it’s much harder/less clear to do this with WRs. If a stud WR goes down, it’s unlikely that most WRs can step in and get anywhere near the same production. RBs are obviously much more plug and play.

Couple mentioned before here but just wanted to highlight a few guys (not really in any order):

Dowdle - brings something the other guys don’t have with his size. He’s stuck around there a few years despite a lot of injuries. May finally get a chance to be the complement to Pollard.

Chris Evans - he was a bit of a darling last summer and into last preseason but never caught on. Perine took everything Mixon didn’t have, Williams took special teams, and Evans was in the cold. From everything the beat writers have said, Evans has had the best camp of his career and firmly established himself as the RB2. I know Brown is there, and Williams (who has been hurt), but Evans is big at 220lbs and has an excellent passing game skill set. I’m intrigued.

Josh Kelley - classic post-hype sleeper. Everyone wanted him to be the Melvin Gordon heir when he was drafted out of UCLA. It’s taken some time, but he’s steadily improved. Played well last year after everyone assumed the drafting of Spiller spelled the end of Kelley, and again this summer and preseason he’s consistently stayed ahead of Spiller. Ekeler has consistently said (even on his podcast with Matt Harmon this last week) he’s at his best with someone taking that big back role. Add in Kellen Moore coming from Zeke/Pollard usage, and Kelley likely has standalone value with absolute smash upside if Ekeler gets dinged.

Chris Brooks - I’m not sure what happens in Miami, but anytime a UDFA makes a roster, it makes you take notice. Add in the Jeff Wilson injury and zero additions from the FA wire, and it makes me think Miami is comfortable for now. Brooks is a big dude with good vision and some shiftiness and explosion. He doesn’t have long speed, but neither did past successes in the Shanny system (like Alfred Morris). Mostert and Achane aren’t what you think of for short yardage or grinding carries. This one merits a close eye. Check out some of the tweets from CK Parrot showing Brooks’ touches and vision.

Justice Hill - this one is a long shot, but Hill was playing extremely well as a complement early last year before a calf strain (IIRC) robbed him of a month or so. New OC supposedly prioritizing passing involvement with the backs, and the team keeping another UDFA in Keaton Mitchell in the same smaller, quicker, receiving mold. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hill has a significant role out of the gate, and keep an eye on Mitchell as well, though he’s Warrick Dunn sized.

Keep an eye on Emmanuel Wilson in Green Bay. Another UDFA making a roster. Another big dude with some vision and explosiveness. He’s got a muddy path to relevance, but file the name away.

Last one - Keaontay Ingram was a good college recruit, has some solid skills, and probably gets a look this year. Maybe more of a dynasty play, but he’s behind an old, brittle player, and Ingram has a 3-down skill set.

I swear I wrote this before hearing the Waldman podcast with Brandon Angelo. Believe me or not …

I've understood Evans to be the likely 3rd down back after a solid preseason.

Not a lot of positive buzz on Brown... and it has sounded like he is clearly behind Evans on the depth chart... but almost think this might shake out the other way around. If Mixon were injured, while a committee is almost a certainty, I think Brown might be the one to benefit most on early downs.
Came back to confirm your correction...Evans is projected as third down back and Brown is just depth. Based on projections though it doen't look like either is worth a bag of potato chips unless Mixon gets injured.

There has been a decent amount of positive buzz on Chris Evans this preseason. Sounds like he has definitely taken a step forward and improved since last year.

He has good size and is fast. I think the Bengals have confidence in him as a 3rd down back as by all accounts he is good catching the ball out of the backfield. Pass protection I can't speak to, but it sounds like he is at least adequate. Most of the critiques on him have been related to his lack of feel/vision running between the tackles. So early down work is not likely in the cards.

I think he begins the season as a 3rd down option to spell Mixon. Likely splitting 3rd down work with Mixon. Similar to Samaje Perine before but without the early down snaps. If Mixon were to get hurt, Evans likely gets the first crack (or possibly Trayveon Williams if he returns healthy)... but I would say in that event it almost a certainty it becomes a committee with Evans, Brown and Trayveon splitting snaps.

Last edited:
This is my issue with Sean Tucker.

Let's say he was a 2nd round talent that fell where he fell because of the medicals--like everyone tells us. So he's healthy, gets into camp, and doesn't blow White's doors off? Doesn't clearly establish that he needs touches?

By the way I drafted him almost everywhere, price is right, and he definitely slipped in the draft, but I think people are feeling really empowered to announce he's a 2nd round talent, because they can never be proven wrong.

Dynasty: Do you hold your RB Lotto Tickets or trade them while there is a buzz around?

Have Tank, Warren, and Kendre Miller. I don't own Etienne, Harris, or Kamara. Another owner in a rebuild wants Tank, Warren and a 2024 Pick for Josh Jacobs. I don't need Jacobs, and certainly not opposed to trading for him,

but wondered whether you keep your lotto tickets until they bust/flop or do you trade them whenever you can?

Dynasty: Do you hold your RB Lotto Tickets or trade them while there is a buzz around?

Have Tank, Warren, and Kendre Miller. I don't own Etienne, Harris, or Kamara. Another owner in a rebuild wants Tank, Warren and a 2024 Pick for Josh Jacobs. I don't need Jacobs, and certainly not opposed to trading for him,

but wondered whether you keep your lotto tickets until they bust/flop or do you trade them whenever you can?
Jump to make that type of trade!

Jump to make that type of trade!
Was thinking the same and then I made the mistake of checking a trade calculator who has it greatly in favor of the 2 RB Lotto Tickets and Pick

Trade calculators are broken. Like every single one of them. A really good one does not exist IMO. So from my perspective, someone offers me Jacobs for Tank, Warren and a future 2nd I am not looking for a trade calculator, I'm looking for the accept button. Then I'm looking for my rum to mix a drink with, though that would have happened regardless.

Trade calculators are broken. Like every single one of them. A really good one does not exist IMO. So from my perspective, someone offers me Jacobs for Tank, Warren and a future 2nd I am not looking for a trade calculator, I'm looking for the accept button. Then I'm looking for my rum to mix a drink with, though that would have happened regardless.
Its Tank, Warren and future 1st .. but hear ya. I started the drinking before the offer came :)

Let's say he was a 2nd round talent that fell where he fell because of the medicals--like everyone tells us. So he's healthy, gets into camp, and doesn't blow White's doors off? Doesn't clearly establish that he needs touches?

By the way I drafted him almost everywhere, price is right, and he definitely slipped in the draft, but I think people are feeling really empowered to announce he's a 2nd round talent, because they can never be proven wrong.
It could be that he’s not the Day 2 talent that people thought he was. Or there could be other reasons why he didn’t come in right away and supplant White as the RB1 (emphasis in bold is mine)

Come draft time, Tucker was in and out of doctor’s offices with wires hooked up to his chest and confined to an ever-clanging MRI tube as he worked to overcome his issues.

He wasn’t allowed to run while undergoing additional testing. He did, however, use a treadmill at home for incline walking, along with doing pushups and sit-ups. He couldn’t sit still and just do nothing.

"It took us putting the reins on him. He wanted to go 100 miles an hour,” general manager Jason Licht said. “He had been training 100 percent, 100 miles an hour, and it wasn’t helping the situation. So [we] just shut him down for the entire spring, and now it’s worked out.”

He sat out for May's rookie minicamp, OTAs and June's mandatory minicamp but took part in every meeting and every install. The Bucs team doctor then cleared him after a month and they slowly increased his activity. He has been full bore ever since the first training camp practice July 26, with no setbacks.

Random dynasty play that I made:

Raiders recently stashed Brittain Brown on IR. He wasn't beating out Jacobs or Ameer Abdullah, but they might both be gone next year. Beat writers said the staff thought they might have something in him.

Picked him up, stashed him on IR myself, and we will see about next year.

Made the deal, but got bigger due to another team involved: Dealt Tank, Warren, 2024 Late 1st and Late 2nd for Jacobs, Lazard, and 2024 Early 2nd

No one is denying that white is going to get first crack. The problem is that he is bad. So if he continues to look bad while Tucker looks good on his touches the coaches will adjust accordingly.

Donte Foreman? I could see him carving out the goal line role and could be very good if Herbert misses any time.
Can totally seeing that happening... probably the most likely scenario to begin the season.

But just as easily I can see Roschon Johnson eventually in that role as well. In addition to the 3rd down role which he is probably best suited for among their 3 backs..

Jeff Ratcliffe on fantasy radio this morning was talking about how people may be surprised that CEH is more involved than people are thinking tonight.

I was commuting in and don’t know if that’s based off any facts or just his opinion… (hey it’s radio… they say things so people listen)

But… if you do have an end of the bench spot for tonight, it’s not a bad add. He is available in all 3 of my leagues as a free agent.

Jeff Ratcliffe on fantasy radio this morning was talking about how people may be surprised that CEH is more involved than people are thinking tonight.

I was commuting in and don’t know if that’s based off any facts or just his opinion… (hey it’s radio… they say things so people listen)

But… if you do have an end of the bench spot for tonight, it’s not a bad add. He is available in all 3 of my leagues as a free agent.
Two carries to open the game. Maybe he was onto something.

Mostert
count with
Wilson
going to IR and
Achane
injured?
Mostert
to be the RB1 for Miami.
The problem is that you won’t know whether he will be any good until he plays. And before he plays, you will have to drop someone from your roster.

Now that one week of football is (nearly) over what are your top 3 RB Lotto tickets - here are mine (no particular order):
  • E. Wilson GB - I believe that Wilson will get significant carries if EITHER of Jones or Dillon miss time
  • R. Penny PHI - I'm guessing his healthy scratch this weekend had to do with the game plan more than anything else - could emerge later in the season when PHI does more grinding
  • J. McLaughlin - I'm not sold on Williams (or his health) - could be just a matter of time with the new regime...

Last edited:
Now that one week of football is (nearly) over what are your top 3 RB Lotto tickets - here are mine (no particular order):
  • E. Wilson GB - I believe that Wilson will get significant carries if EITHER of Jones or Dillon miss time
  • R. Penny PHI - I'm guessing his healthy scratch this weekend had to do with the game plan more than anything else - could emerge later in the season when PHI does more grinding
  • J. McLaughlin - I'm not sold on Williams (or his health) - could be just a matter of time with the new regime...
I said it before the season: Justice Hill. I didn’t follow my own advice anywhere, but Dobbins is dunzo. Gus Bus is still there, but right after Dobbins got hurt, Hill banged in the goalline TD. He was super involved in preseason as Monken installed the new offense, and he was coming on last year before his own calf injury cost him four weeks. The rookie might get a look now too but is literally Warrick Dunn size while Hill has had a few years of NFL “vitamins.”

I’d bet he goes for less in FAAB than he should.

I also like Wilson as I thought he showed a ton in preseason, and now Jones is dinged. I’m not impressed with Dillon outside of his physique.

I still don’t see it with White. That feels like a matter of time.

Josh Kelley … I only have one share and only have myself to blame. 😔

Justice Hill and Wilson gotta be grabbed now IMO. Keaton Mitchell certainly worth watching/stashing as well.

I think I’m out on Keaontay, and not necessarily because of the player, but I don’t think he’s remotely close to transcendent, and that offensive ecosystem is a tire fire.

I don't know about top 3, but Kyren Williams and Spears seem to be much more valuable handcuffs compared to a few days ago. In fact, if yesterday is a sign of things to come, Kyren isn't a handcuff, but a committee member.

Update after week 1, why not? things have happened!

Here is a quick summary on which kingmakers significantly improved their odds at hitting lotto in week 2:
Zack Moss (Ready to Start)
Justice Hill (Ready to Start)
Kyren Williams (Ready to Start)
Tyjae Spears (Confirmed Talented)
Joshua Kelley (Ready to Start?)

I also want to start maybe labeling the Kingmakers with "Talent" to give a sense of where the player stands in my mind. Many of us know that opportunity and talent is needed for RB lotto tickets to hit. But many kingmakers might be Jags and not all that talented. Many of this list will be a retread as well so I'll try to highlight the changes if you already read thru the first time, back in August.

CANDIDATES for the Season Changing – KingMaker List - by division
I'll Asterisk the team with the Kingmaker* and Bold the Kingmakers
I'll Highlight Downgrades/Upgrades
As of Sunday Sep 14th.

AFC East

BUF
Damien Harris is now pretty cheap and if Cook fumbles/gets injured he definitely will be Kingmaker.

*MIA
Raheem Mostert(hurt already?) and Salvon Ahmed (JAG) are splitting, Jeff Wilson Jr. (Talent) Kingmaker
Devon Achane (Talent?) Team linked to JT trade so we’ll see. These RBs belong on the bench or wait and see.

NEP
Zeke Elliott could emerge as the next option here, if injury occurs.

NYJ
Michael Carter is worth monitoring.

AFC North

*BAL
Gus Edwards or Justice Hill (Talent) are both possible kingmakers. I initially only saw Gus Bus as the guy, but after learning the skillset I think Gus is a Roman fit and Justice is a Monken fit.

CIN
Chase Brown is worth stashing as a Kingmaker.

CLE
Pierre Strong traded! Jerome Ford injured to begin season. but monitor both

*PIT
Jaylen Warren (Talent) is a must draft/stash/roster for anyone. Already forced a split last year. 1st Kingmaker rank

AFC South

HOU
Devin Singletary is the definitive handcuff, yet only monitor.

*IND
Zack Moss(Talent?) needs to be stashed Week 2 is a golden opportunity. Congrats if you got your lotto ticket, it could be cashed in this week!
Deon Jackson is JAG

*JAC
Tank Bigsby(Talent) seems likely to force a split and injury makes the king. He is the 2nd best Kingmaker after Jaylen Warren. I saw a bad week 1 and they still love the kid, that effort play at goalline will be in the coach's mind and confirmed that he is talented. Not that the play is great but that the coach has confidence in his ability.

*TEN
Tyjae Spears(Talent) I think I sold him short previously he is now monitor/stash worthy
Hassan Haskins has a 1/2 down role that is less appealing. Oline is bad.

AFC West

*DEN
Samaje Perine(Talent) 3rd Kingmaker. I think Javonte will not fully be themselves on first year back after the injury.

KCC
Jerrick McKinnon best COP in the game right now and is weeky lowend flex.
CEH not good fit, I think barring injury, monitor only.

LVR
Zamir White is another frontrunner. 4th best Kingmaker

*LAC
Joshua Kelley (Talent) is the main frontrunner
Isaiah Spiller is a COP.

NFC East

*DAL
Rico Dowdle (Talent) is the perfect reason to make this list, never even heard of him before. He's been on Dallas for three straight seasons despite ending up on IR the last two seasons. 215lbs so could be the out of nowhere league winner!
Deuce Vaughn COP so small it is funny to watch youtube vids of his play

NYG
Matt Breida is not the answer. Most likely would be someone not on the roster.

*PHI
Welcome to pure Hell, I have a monitor on all and if I have a gun to my head its Gainwell as a kingmaker.
D’Andre Swift injury risk
Rashad Penny injury risk
Kenneth Gainwell (Talent) injured
Boston Scott JAG

*WAS
Antonio Gibson(Talent) frontrunner and just the more dynamic player in my eyes

NFC North

*CHI
Roschon Johnson(Talent) roster them now!
Donta Foreman monitor if injuries occur.

*DET
Jahmyr Gibbs
David Montgomery(Talent)
This plays out as if it was still Swift and Williams in my eyes.
Gibbs tho should be ceiling of what Kamara was as a rookie tho.

GBP
AJ Dillon might be looked over at this point but still is a kingmaker with low end flex appeal.

*MIN
Ty Chandler(Talent) is kingmaker candidate

NFC South

*ATL
Tyler Allgeier(Talent) is strongly rostered Kingmaker 1 rank

CAR
Chubba Hubbard stunk 2 years ago when given starter opportunity. I don't like him.

*NO
Jamaal Williams he did it last year but the TDs are a flukely thing to rely on, but he will be goalline option most likely.
Kendre Miller the one we should focus a monitor on

*TBB
Sean Tucker(Talent) splitting first team reps he is looking to be backup thanks for heads up on this @Lansdowne
Chase Edmonds stunk on MIA and was traded. monitor him
Ke’Shawn Vaughn JAG

NFC West

ARI
Keaontay Ingram and Corey Clement are JAGs

LAR
Zach Evans worth a monitor

*SF
Eli Mitchell(Talent) is my frontrunner and rounds out a top 5 Kingmaker

*SEA
Zach Charbonnet(Talent) roster

Congrats if you read the whole thing! 28 possible Kingmakers and 19 of those are talented... haha maybe its dumb to label them on second thought?

*BAL
Gus Edwards or Justice Hill (Talent) are both possible kingmakers. I initially only saw Gus Bus as the guy, but after learning the skillset I think Gus is a Roman fit and Justice is a Monken fit.
As mentioned above, I might add Melvin Gordon and Keaton Mitchell. Seems like a fluid situation that is unclear, especially if Mitchell is added to the roster after his IR stint.

Users who are viewing this thread