What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cleveland Browns - THE RETURN OF CADE YORK (1 Viewer)

the only thing i could think of is that the Browns are married to Watson, and the results have been... mixed.

but they asked Anderson about that specifically and she didn't think this had anything to do with Watson, so i've got nothing.
There's room for improvement in several areas and fresh ideas, but this move is primarily because of Watson
i mean, that makes the most sense, right?

the only thing i could think of is that the Browns are married to Watson, and the results have been... mixed.

but they asked Anderson about that specifically and she didn't think this had anything to do with Watson, so i've got nothing.
There's room for improvement in several areas and fresh ideas, but this move is primarily because of Watson
i mean, that makes the most sense, right?
Not just that, but it takes a reach to justify anything else. This coaching staff has helped build functioning vehicles with spare parts and very little lead time, but Plan A has never looked comfortable in the driver's seat. Right or wrong he's the guy in 2024, so surround him with fresh faces that may help him find what he once was.

Executing that^^^ strategy though...

We hired Ken Dorsey as our new OC.
LINK
Last year Stefanski replaced his special teams and defensive coordinators. Both hires were obvious upgrades.
This year, we fire our TE and RB coaches along with our OC without any glaring reasons.
Flacco performed well. Threw tons of yards, TDs, and INTs. Strong-armed 'timing' QB who can extend plays due to his big frame and he let it rip to spots which led to INTs. Timed throws get out of the QB's hand quickly and allow more airtime before the WR breaks so when the ball is at the catch point it is easier to catch because it is dropping down to a spot and isn't rushed.
Deshaun ISN'T a timing QB. He's got an arm and extends plays, but his style is to hold the ball longer instead of timed throws to a spot. Holding the ball longer leads to sacks. Deshaun extends plays with his legs not brushing off guys with a huge frame like Joe.
Different style of QB play.
What do we know about Dorsey?
Loves the shotgun and Deshaun flourished in the gun. On the negative side, the Bills run game improved the second Ken was fired, reason is it is easier to run from under center than from the gun.
The offensive changes are about getting more out of Deshaun, so I have two questions for Browns fans.
What do you hope happens?
What do you think happens?

The offensive changes are about getting more out of Deshaun, so I have two questions for Browns fans.
What do you hope happens?
What do you think happens?
1. I hope they win the Superbowl
2. Not that, cause they're the Browns

seriously though, i think you're spot on.

this is all about trying to design a scheme to make Watson comfortable, AND still try to figure out how to keep the running game productive.

also, assuming Chubb comes back healthy, i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his touches may technically be short passes, which would be a boon for his fantasy numbers.

The offensive changes are about getting more out of Deshaun
For better or worse, this is what the Browns must do.

I have zero confidence that we can do it.
If you have to do something, then you do it.
OK, why don't you think we cannot get more out of Deshaun?
We will get all three of our top OTs back healthy. We 'should' get Chubb back healthy. We 'should' get Deshaun back healthy. More than likely, we will upgrade our 2nd WR and also get a legit deep threat and we 'apparently' bent over backwards with the coaching staff to accommodate Watson's skill set.
I see no reason why we won't get more out of Deshuan Watson, we will but that doesn't mean that automatically crowns us Super Bowl champions. That's a different topic.

If you have to do something, then you do it.
OK, why don't you think we cannot get more out of Deshaun?
Wasn't directed towards me, but IMO history goes to show that something will go wrong. It's Cleveland. I've had my hopes up too many times and now try to temper my optimism. Call me Missouri, because these new coaches and Watson need to show me something to be optimistic about first. I've heard that Dorsey can bring some RPO to the table. Watson needs to continue his improvement (health and skill wise). He's shown flashes, but has yet to make it a complete season. These coaches may help Stefanski build the RPO system for Watson (ala Newton, early Josh Allen), but there are a number of pieces that need to fall into place. I'll hold any optimism until later this summer.

BTW...the only coach I've been overly optimistic about was when they hired Schwartz. He's been on my list for awhile and he has not disappointed. I'll be happy if Dorsey and Rees can fall into that same category, but they don't have quite the pedigree that Schwartz had coming into the organization.

... These coaches may help Stefanski build the RPO system for Watson (ala Newton, early Josh Allen)...
... the only coach I've been overly optimistic about was when they hired Schwartz....
The coaching changes were made for one reason, for Watson. We know that getting the top three OTs back will improve the entire offense, same with Chubb and a healthy Watson with the other personnel is reason enough for optimism before factoring in the coaching changes that were made specifically and only for Deshaun Watson.
I've loved the wide-9 since I heard of it but the reason Schwartz broke out is due to the DMVP who fits the wide-9 to a T. It is made for Myles Garrett, the marriage was perfect.
Schwartz was not successful as a HC 39-51 and he never had the sort of success as a DC until Myles Garrett.
He took over as a DC for Greg Williams in 2001 with Tennessee who finished as the league's best defense with a 13-3 won/loss record in 2000 but finished 7-9 and 25th in defense under Jim.
2001 TEN defensive rank 25th.
2002 10th.
2003 12th
2004 27th.
2005 19th.
2006 32nd last
2007 5th.
2008 7th
Jim left to take the Detroit head coach job and wasn't successful, see above.
2014 Buffalo 4th in defense.
2015 wasn't in the league.
2016 Philly 13th.
2017 Philly 4th.
2018 Philly 23rd
2019 Philly 10th.
2020 Philly 19th.
2021 out of the league.
2022 out of the league.
2023 Cleveland 1st.
Taking from Schwartz' history, we can expect a step back UNLESS Myles is the reason why he had his BEST YEAR EVER as a DC.

There were a couple other guys, one being DW's former coach, whom I preferred. I am wondering why they chose a "failed" guy instead. Any insight? (BTW, I'm a big AB fan, so I'm gonna try to be positive until proven otherwise.)

There were a couple other guys, one being DW's former coach, whom I preferred. I am wondering why they chose a "failed" guy instead. Any insight? (BTW, I'm a big AB fan, so I'm gonna try to be positive until proven otherwise.)
being positive is probably a good idea for once.

they took Jim Schwartz "off the couch" and he had a great season last year.

Jacoby Brissett, and Joe Flacco both had pretty good years with the Browns, and the rest of the NFL didn't think much of them at the time.

i'd say most of his trades and signings have worked out well.

the only big "question mark" right now is obviously his trade for Watson, and that's what he's currently trying to "fix" with this hire.

was Dorsey the problem in Buffalo? there's so many factors that go into these hiring and firings, we just don't really know.

March 13 The 2024 League Year and Free Agency signing period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
OK, so important stuff here, do we want to start a new thread in March, after the Super Bowl, or just rename this one?

(work has been slow and i'm bored.)

was Dorsey the problem in Buffalo?
Probably not. The offense didn't perform much differently after his exit. Buffalo's problem is their team has peaked and they don't have the means to get better. It's not that their DL and WR rooms are of poor quality, but they're not championship caliber. They need better health luck and Allen to not make hero decisions in crunch time if they're going to get over the hump.

being positive is probably a good idea for once.
Agreed. I think AB has earned the benefit of the doubt. John Dorsey is a quality talent evaluator, but team building and culture are foreign concepts. AB took the groundwork Dorsey laid and has applied those concepts into the org's operations. He's not going to get every move right, but with this model he doesn't have to.

Titans hired Brian Callahan, the son of our O-Line coach Bill Callahan as their HC.
LINK
We 'could'' lose Bill.
We let Bill get out of his contract to join his son in Tennessee.
Browns were fortunate to win as many games as they did IMO.
Still salty about the Browns loss. So many posts about how much you hate the Browns over that one loss. OK, time to fess up. It was me. I paid off the refs and did it personally to aggravate you. It was all me. Direct all other angry posts to me personally so we don't clutter up the boards with your personal vendetta because it's really boring to everyone else.

Losing Bill Callahan to Tennessee is a HUGE blow to the entire team. I know he had an assistant who he was grooming that is a candidate to take over. It is a big leap to think anyone can just step in to fill his shoes so it got me thinking out of the box.
This morning the scenario that I was thinking about got shot down.
Joe Thomas NOT interested

Titans hired Brian Callahan, the son of our O-Line coach Bill Callahan as their HC.
LINK
We 'could'' lose Bill.
We let Bill get out of his contract to join his son in Tennessee.
Still salty about the Browns loss. So many posts about how much you hate the Browns over that one loss. OK, time to fess up. It was me. I paid off the refs and did it personally to aggravate you. It was all me. Direct all other angry posts to me personally so we don't clutter up the boards with your personal vendetta because it's really boring to everyone else.
Good luck at QB in 2024.

I think we caught some good breaks along the way. We also caught a ton of injuries. I liken the return-from-injury talent coming back this offseason to owning three first round picks and four twos!

Losing Bill Callahan to Tennessee is a HUGE blow to the entire team. I know he had an assistant who he was grooming that is a candidate to take over. It is a big leap to think anyone can just step in to fill his shoes so it got me thinking out of the box.
This morning the scenario that I was thinking about got shot down.
Joe Thomas NOT interested
that would have been cool, but there is a difference at being good at something and being able to coach it.

And Flacco takes home Comeback Player of Year

Comeback Player of the Year voting:

Damar Hamlin (21) finished with more first-place votes than Joe Flacco (13).

But Flacco won based off the new system with voters giving a first, second and third place winner.

The breakdown:

Flacco: 13-26-8 = 151 points
Hamlin: 21-7-14 = 140 points.

5 points for first place, 3 for second, and 1 for third.

And Flacco takes home Comeback Player of Year

Comeback Player of the Year voting:

Damar Hamlin (21) finished with more first-place votes than Joe Flacco (13).

But Flacco won based off the new system with voters giving a first, second and third place winner.

The breakdown:

Flacco: 13-26-8 = 151 points
Hamlin: 21-7-14 = 140 points.

5 points for first place, 3 for second, and 1 for third.
Not too surprising. Hamlin's case was unique, not the usual comeback criteria. Makes sense that he was "all or nothing" in the voting.

Hmnn. Nick 'might' not be back for the start of the season and he's making a ton of money. I think it 'could' turn out to be a good thing if we get him back with fresh legs later in the season and he's agreeable to doing something with his contract to help out the team.
We won't be bringing Kareem back due to performance and from Stump Mitchell's comments about Hunt not showing up on time for meetings. Without Kareem and expecting Nick later in the season we will make a move to shore up the RB position, but I like the idea of getting Nick Chubb back later in the season with fresh legs.
I like it a lot

So, the entirety of the "bad news" is Terry Pluto saying we shouldn't expect him to be 100% day one. Locally, the talk shows are making the assumption that he won't be back until the second half of the season. Are there any REAL reports on his rehab situation, or is it all speculation?
I don’t believe that there are any real reports out there.

The only thing I heard was when Berry was asked and he essentially just said Nick was working hard on his rehab, which we could already assume.

So, the entirety of the "bad news" is Terry Pluto saying we shouldn't expect him to be 100% day one. Locally, the talk shows are making the assumption that he won't be back until the second half of the season. Are there any REAL reports on his rehab situation, or is it all speculation?
I don’t believe that there are any real reports out there.

The only thing I heard was when Berry was asked and he essentially just said Nick was working hard on his rehab, which we could already assume.
Given complexity of his injury, any reports that emerge before he's back on the field won't be meaningful anyway. I'll be surprised if we learn much new before August when he is back on a reworked contract.

Side note - I know some of you listen to 92.3, did Dustin Fox get the boot? Hasn't been on for weeks. Don't really care for him or Nick, just curious.

Side note - I know some of you listen to 92.3, did Dustin Fox get the boot? Hasn't been on for weeks. Don't really care for him or Nick, just curious.
He posted today that he's dealing with serious health issues.
yep. I looked it up too, and he said something to the wfffect that he may not come back.

he was upset because Audacy never reached out to him.

Daryl Ruiter has been filling in, and I think he deserves the opportunity.

He posted today that he's dealing with serious health issues.
A few weeks back I was listening, and Dusty said on-air that he seriously felt like he was going to die. His cohost wasn't sure if he was joking or not, so he inquired if he was being serious, and Fox said he truly felt something was wrong. This was real time mind you so I'm trying to also figure out if this is real or a bit.
This was very uncomfortable as you can imagine and went on for the segment with the cohost trying to make fun of it, but it was unsettling.
I don't want to speculate but can say I think he has been trying to deal with something for a while and hopefully this won't end bad.

From what I gathered from the Browns redditt page is he may have a gambling addiction that he is dealing with along with some panic/anxiety issues.
He did mention Audicy not supporting him in the same way ESPN (i think) did.

RECKLESS SPECULATION :HORNSBLARE:

seriously though, i hope the dude is OK.

if it is a gambling problem, that's awkward that one of their main sponsors is Fanduel.

they even did a bit every afternoon about their bets.

I tend to zone out about the time Nick & Dustin come on so I'm not heavily invested other than I hope it all works out for him. I thought Bull & Fox was a better show but again, doesn't really move the needle for me one way or the other. I really kinda tap out when Karmen is done but there are some spots Baskin & Phelps do that keep me interested. I wouldn't be sad if they got replaced but I get the feeling they are fixtures there until they decide to leave.

I tend to zone out about the time Nick & Dustin come on so I'm not heavily invested other than I hope it all works out for him. I thought Bull & Fox was a better show but again, doesn't really move the needle for me one way or the other. I really kinda tap out when Karmen is done but there are some spots Baskin & Phelps do that keep me interested. I wouldn't be sad if they got replaced but I get the feeling they are fixtures there until they decide to leave.
my eyes literally glaze over when Phelps talks about baseball.

i have to change the channel so i don't wreck my car.

Cooper, Jeudy, Moore in the slot
Njoku
Chubb

Fantastic starting core on the offense.

Berry out here getting more for less in these trades. Cooper and Jeudy for a. Couple of late round picks.

After the Jeudy trade, the Browns have five selections left in the 2024 NFL draft:

• Second Round - #54
  • Third Round - #85
  • Fifth Round - #155
  • Sixth Round - #205
  • Seventh Round - #243
There has been talk that Cleveland could be looking into another trade, moving on from one of their defensive starters, which could add another selection to the mix. Trading for Jeudy only cost two Day 3 picks as he enters the final year of his contract while CB Greg Newsome II has, potentially, two years left on his rookie deal coming out of the draft class the following year as Jeudy.

With what is considered to be a weak overall draft class, Berry could continue to look to move up or on from his sixth and seventh-round selections as a part of his roster adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread