What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cleveland Browns - THE RETURN OF CADE YORK (1 Viewer)

Cleveland signing former Buffalo Bills running back Nyheim Hines to a one-year deal worth up to $3.5 million per ESPN

I don't get it unless Joe was asking for much more $.
Only thing I think is he's closer to Deshaun's game than Flacco is, less upheaval if there is an injury :shrug:
Which “game” are we talking about?
Joe seemed to have better character.
I'm not sure what "game" we are talking about either as I don't think Watson has played enough games in a row to have a "game" that I want :unsure:

Not sure how you are judging the character thing? I liked Joe and was hoping that they brought him back but big picture I get this move. Watson wasn't coming back last year so it wasn't as hard to put in a system that suited Flacco's game. With Watson hopefully healthy, you want a backup that is closer to his game than Flacco's so you don't need to adjust an entire offense. Obvious right? I think that's more what was driving this than them liking the character of one over the other.

@JosinaAnderson
Just got of the phone with QB Jameis Winston on his decision to agree with Cleveland: "Yes, I still envision myself as a starter, however the Lord has also called me to lead by impacting and increasing the men who are around me. Having the opportunity to work with Deshaun (Watson) and help him be the best he can possibly be, is my main mission. Now, if Deshaun has to heal up for whatever reason, and I have to take a few games off of him, I’m going to be ready to do that; but I have to fulfill God’s purpose first before my own heart’s desire. Because ultimately I desire to win some Super Bowls, and this roster that Cleveland got, looks like they can do it."

the. what?

@JosinaAnderson
Just got of the phone with QB Jameis Winston on his decision to agree with Cleveland: "Yes, I still envision myself as a starter, however the Lord has also called me to lead by impacting and increasing the men who are around me. Having the opportunity to work with Deshaun (Watson) and help him be the best he can possibly be, is my main mission. Now, if Deshaun has to heal up for whatever reason, and I have to take a few games off of him, I’m going to be ready to do that; but I have to fulfill God’s purpose first before my own heart’s desire. Because ultimately I desire to win some Super Bowls, and this roster that Cleveland got, looks like they can do it."

the. what?
Didn't have the God card in the deck this morning but here we are. He can cite the Tao of Snuffaluffagus for all I care as long as he's ready to play when called and performs as well as Flacco did. That $8m paycheck probably didn't hurt either, wonder if he's kicking 10% up to the Big Guy?

Flacco. Make him a "special consultant" to keep him around. Tell him to hang around & stay healthy just in case we need him like last year.

Hmmnnn. Guess this means no Flacco.
I don't get it unless Joe was asking for much more $.
Browns sign Jameis Winston
OK, this makes sense.
-------------------------------
Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_
Gotta wait until the contract comes out, but the bulk of Winston's contract is going to be incentives based on playing time. They aren't just giving him that much money
Tod Flory@TodFlory
If Flacco was offered $8.6 million, he’d be in Cleveland. The Browns made a conscious choice to go another route. x.com/_petesmith_/st…

heard on the radio that Watson and Winston are friends.

same thing with why they drafted DTR.
Every move is being made to make Watson comfortable. Flacco backing him up runs counter to that. One stinker and the yells for the backup will be even louder than usual. And this is a fan base that loves their backup. Same won't happen with a dude that eats w's.

Every move is being made to make Watson comfortable. Flacco backing him up runs counter to that. One stinker and the yells for the backup will be even louder than usual. And this is a fan base that loves their backup. Same won't happen with a dude that eats w's.
oh, i fully understand why they didn't sign Flacco, and unfortunately, i actually agree with their reasoning.

but when you spend money so players can hang out with their friends, i'm not sure that makes sense.

and why are they talking about trading Greg Newsome?

guess how many times Denzel Ward has played an entire season?

I can see why they didnt keep Flacco. Constant questions and distraction about QB controversy blah blah blah. It would be the right Madden move, but not real life move.
Winston though? Ugh

oh, i fully understand why they didn't sign Flacco, and unfortunately, i actually agree with their reasoning.

but when you spend money so players can hang out with their friends, i'm not sure that makes sense.
Me too. I think this offseason's moves to this point serve two purposes - #1 to put Watson in a position to succeed #2 to scapegoat him if things turn south. Hate writing that last part as this is a Super Bowl caliber roster around him and if he isn't it then by the time the position is fixed the window's closed.

If the plan is not to re-up him, then this is the offseason in which they'll get useful compensation. Otherwise this time next year they're looking at a Jerry Jeudy-esque return. I don't think it'll happen unless they're all of comfortable with Mitchell in the starting lineup, have plans to draft a CB in the mid rounds, and have a vet in mind that'll be capable in the slot...but a third corner doesn't appear to be relatively important in the AFC North in 2024.

Me too. I think this offseason's moves to this point serve two purposes - #1 to put Watson in a position to succeed #2 to scapegoat him if things turn south. Hate writing that last part as this is a Super Bowl caliber roster around him and if he isn't it then by the time the position is fixed the window's closed.
ah, that second part makes sense. i wasn't thinking about it that way.

wonder if Watson was behind the Jeudy trade as well? no idea if there's any relationship there, just throwing stuff at the wall.

If the plan is not to re-up him, then this is the offseason in which they'll get useful compensation. Otherwise this time next year they're looking at a Jerry Jeudy-esque return. I don't think it'll happen unless they're all of comfortable with Mitchell in the starting lineup, have plans to draft a CB in the mid rounds, and have a vet in mind that'll be capable in the slot...but a third corner doesn't appear to be relatively important in the AFC North in 2024.
just looked it up, they played nickel personnel on 70% of the snaps last year.

so i'd say the third CB is important.

just looked it up, they played nickel personnel on 70% of the snaps last year.

so i'd say the third CB is important.
3rd CB is important, but is Cam Mitchell with a vet and a rook good enough in a division with these WR corps?

Chase/Tee/Charlie Jones
Flowers/Bateman/Agholor
Pickens/Calvin Austin/ :shrug:

Offseason isn't over, but I'll be surprised if 1st round capital is spent at the position so even if there is an upgrade we're talking that of a day 2 rookie caliber.

maybe this is a justification, but here are Flacco’s stats:

“In five games, he completed 60.3% of his passes for 1,616 yards through the air, 13 touchdowns, and eight interceptions.”

1.6:1 TD:INT ratio, and 60% completion ratio.

to be fair, he had a one week ramp up time after he was signed and some of the INTs objectively can be blamed on the receivers.

but at the end of the day, he was not as amazing as our memories of that run actually were.

...The plan here ... is for Vrabel to act as a sounding board for Kevin Stefanski but also as a resource for a coaching staff with a lot of youth and turnover. It’s an interesting idea.
Wow, that indicates Kevin has ZERO ego to bring-in a former successful HC in his prime to join the org.
It is interesting and I love the upside if it works out as I hope. I love this more than I can express or should.

...The plan here ... is for Vrabel to act as a sounding board for Kevin Stefanski but also as a resource for a coaching staff with a lot of youth and turnover. It’s an interesting idea.
Wow, that indicates Kevin has ZERO ego to bring-in a former successful HC in his prime to join the org.
It is interesting and I love the upside if it works out as I hope. I love this more than I can express or should.
Completely agree. Brings another mind that's already in sync with Schwartz, sound defensive minded Coach who can help KS navigate certain situations. Staff and team are looking good early on. Now it's up to them to perform on the field. When all healthy, this team is designed to go as far as Watson can take them. If Watson fails with this setup, it's time to cut bait and move on, IMO.

I can’t give away Jeudy. Should I be frustrated?
No. I'd think there's actual potential there for decent WR3 numbers
And IMO a career turn around and into more but so many people seem to have made up their mind about him I'll just leave them to it.

But I just came in here to check on the discussion of signing Huntley. That one seemed odd to me, have assumed Watson was recovering fine, got me wondering about it?

And IMO a career turn around and into more but so many people seem to have made up their mind about him I'll just leave them to it.

But I just came in here to check on the discussion of signing Huntley. That one seemed odd to me, have assumed Watson was recovering fine, got me wondering about it?

Why do you think that is odd? Assuming Watson is fine this could be more about DTR...maybe after having him for a year they are not sold on him and want to beef-up their overall back-up QB depth...especially after what happened last year...the fact it appears to be for the veteran minimum kind of makes it a no-brainer for whatever reason they did it.

Why do you think that is odd? Assuming Watson is fine this could be more about DTR...maybe after having him for a year they are not sold on him and want to beef-up their overall back-up QB depth...especially after what happened last year...the fact it appears to be for the veteran minimum kind of makes it a no-brainer for whatever reason they did it.
You do know they signed Winston a few days ago right?

Actually I totally forgot about...you are right...this is a mystery signing...not sure why Huntley would want to go there to be totally buried for no money...he's not gonna be a starter anywhere but you would think there are better situations.

Actually I totally forgot about...you are right...this is a mystery signing...not sure why Huntley would want to go there to be totally buried for no money...he's not gonna be a starter anywhere but you would think there are better situations.
I'm surprised he signed for the league minimum, I did not know that. That actually makes it easier to understand from Browns angle, less for his angle.

I'm surprised he signed for the league minimum, I did not know that. That actually makes it easier to understand from Browns angle, less for his angle.

Agreed...no downside for the Browns (especially if they don't trust DTR) but Huntley is 26 years old and I don't see what the motivation would be for him to do this...on the surface it doesn't appear to be a scenario to help his career or his bank account.

Eh, depends on expectations. He was signed to be the #2 WR.
Last year Elijah Moore was the #2 WR. Moore is 5'10 180 lbs. He played all 17 games and had career highs in, targets 104, receptions 57, and yardage 640, with only 2 TDs on the year. He caught 56% of his receptions which tied a career high.
Jeudy is 6'1 193 lbs. and played in 16 of 17 games. He had 87 targets (third most in his career), 54 receptions (2nd most in his career), caught 62 % off of his targets for 3rd best in his career, for 758 yards (3rd most in his career), with 2 TDs which was 2nd best in his career.
Jeudy has been durable, catches around 65% of his targets, and averages about 14 yards a catch.
He 'should' get around 100 targets so figure on a lil over 900 yards with 3 or 4 TDs.
That is what I 'reasonably' expect from him.

Has Winston signed his contract yet? Any chance Berry can flip him to Denver to reunite with Payton? I like Huntley, Winston not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread