What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (13 Viewers)

Can we get a short list of Draft needs for you all now with the 6 and 18 picks overall?

-We assume that DB is not as much of a problem after free agency but also understand what you might be looking at with No 6. Likely the top DB on the board will be there is they want him.
-Otherwise you are looking at maybe Carter slipping to you at 6, 2 QBs off the board and I think the Lions wouldn't mind 3 or 4 of them going in the Top 5 before they select.

Gonzalez and Witherspoon are both top notch DB prospects, any team that lands one fo those 2 is going to be happy I think but Jeff Okudah was a can't miss type and that hasn't worked out yet for the Lions, maybe they don't want to invest another Top 10 pick at the position after FA.

On offense, I think you have enough at WR, OL is pretty strong, QB is not Top5 but he's not in the Bottom Half of the league and I think you can still win with a guy in say the Top 12-15 if you have a loaded OL/DL, playmakers in the Secondary and WR, you have a pretty good chance of the Playoffs.

And that brings me to my last point on this entry. You all have a very good chance to take down the NFC North and maybe be a 2 or 3-seed, and who knows if Dallas and Philly get into a tug of war, down year in the South and perhaps West, stranger things have happened but Detroit has a legit shot to be one of the top seeds in the NFC in '23. What do you all need to make it far? I know a RB somewhere in the Draft would open the offense up. If you all can hold teams to a reasonable number, your offense is good enough to win many weeks.

What is the Draft plan in your minds?

1. trust Brad Holmes
OK, what if you were Brad Holmes, what would you do?

We need DBs, probably our #2 peiority. We are loaded with one year contracts at DB, we need a stud rookie so we do not have to break the bank next season.

Interior DL is our number one need, assuming Levi's back is not good.

A stud versatile linebacker is our number 3 need. One that can cover TEs, a tackling machine, and can occasionally blitz.

Backup QB is our fourth need.

Edge Rusher is our fifth need.

Backup OL is our sixth need.

A pass-catching TE is our seventh need.

Our first four picks will be interior DL, CB, LB, and QB in some order of best available. That said Holmes and Campbell pick dogs irregardless of need. If they love someone, they will go get them. In their mind injuries happen, so what looks like a strength, can deteriorate quickly. So their philosophy is to pick the best football players you can get.

Well, sounds like Okudah is going to Atlanta. That certainly pushes CB back up the priority list.
Dumped 5 million in salary and got a 5th round pick this year. He may have been a cut anyways.
Seems like a reasonable move for both teams. Okudah wasn't working out in Detroit and was never going to be extended, and the Falcons are trading basically a nothing pick for a former top-5 pick who may benefit from a change of scenery.

Most likely outcome is the change of scenery helps a bit, but Okudah is just not a good player. Maybe he can be a decent #3 behind AJ Terrell and Casey Hayward for them?

I'd like to once again thank Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia for their excellent work.
To be fair to them on this one issue, Okudah was seen as maybe the best CB prospect in a decade when he came out and had one of the worst injuries a player can have.

That said, if they were honest with where the team was, they would have traded Stafford that season and taken Tua or (less likely) Herbert at #3.

I'd like to once again thank Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia for their excellent work.
To be fair to them on this one issue, Okudah was seen as maybe the best CB prospect in a decade when he came out and had one of the worst injuries a player can have.

That said, if they were honest with where the team was, they would have traded Stafford that season and taken Tua or (less likely) Herbert at #3.

If you look at the draft that year, pick 1 and 2 were good. Picks 3 thru 10 were not first round talent.

Good move IMO.

NFL is not exactly analogous to corporate life but we do tend to view things through prism of our own experience. Ever had a guy you just knew wasn't working out? For HR purposes you have to go through the dance. Hold the one on one, note deficiencies in performance, set targets you both know they're unlikely to achieve, revisit in 30 days, rinse and repeat. Puts a cloud over the whole department bc one guy can't or won't hold his own weight. When the day comes to let them go, it's not a surprise to them or anyone else. That happened a few times in my career and in the back of my mind I always kind of wished I would have just fired them back when I saw they weren't a good fit. Usually in the first quarter they were around.

Anyway, forward.

Also, Jamo is a savage lol.

• Round 1, Pick 6 (LAR)
• Round 1, Pick 18
• Round 2, Pick 48
• Round 2, Pick 55 (MIN)
• Round 3, Pick 81
• Round 5, Pick 152
• Round 5, Pick 159 (ATL)
• Round 6, Pick 183 (DEN)
• Round 6, Pick 194

9 picks for Brad the Villain.

If you look at the draft that year, pick 1 and 2 were good. Picks 3 thru 10 were not first round talent.
I think you are looking at the wrong season. 2020 was loaded with 1st round talent between picks 3-10.

Andrew Thomas is one of the best OT's in the NFL
Tua is a solid starting QB
Herbert is arguably a top-5 QB whenever he doesn't have broken ribs
Derrick Brown is a pro bowl level DT, and arguably the best player on the Panthers roster, though he had a rough start to his career
Isaiah Simmons has been disappointing, though he's also been poorly coached/used
CJ Henderson is a bust, and was always over drafted
Jedrick Wills has been an average starting LT

Okudah and Henderson are the only true misses.

I think you are looking at the wrong season. 2020 was loaded with 1st round talent between picks 3-10.

Andrew Thomas is one of the best OT's in the NFL
Tua is a solid starting QB
Herbert is arguably a top-5 QB whenever he doesn't have broken ribs
Derrick Brown is a pro bowl level DT, and arguably the best player on the Panthers roster, though he had a rough start to his career
Isaiah Simmons has been disappointing, though he's also been poorly coached/used
CJ Henderson is a bust, and was always over drafted
Jedrick Wills has been an average starting LT

Okudah and Henderson are the only true misses.
Tua is one more concussion away from being done. I agree with Jon that, at the time, Okudah was viewed as a very safe pick.

I am not a fan of the trade quite honestly. I feel he must be more valuable on this team than a 5th rounder.
You also signaled to the league that you are almost certainly taking a CB at 6 or 18.

The $ savings is nice though.

Just can't believe this guy is not worth working on. Afraid he will become the next Slay or Diggs.

That being said, Holmes and Campbell better than me at this.

I am not a fan of the trade quite honestly. I feel he must be more valuable on this team than a 5th rounder.
You also signaled to the league that you are almost certainly taking a CB at 6 or 18.

Just can't believe this guy is not worth working on. Afraid he will become the next Slay or Diggs.

Yzerman has made a coupe similar moves, and calls it weaponized cap space.
  • Frees up $5.1M (100% of his remaining cap hit this year)
  • adds another pick for a guy who excels at identifying Day 3 talent
  • raises the floor of the DB room
  • honestly helpz Okudah bc now he gets a fresh start free of expectations
I think it's a Win for everyone, but it definitely is the kind of move that makes people uncomfortable.

Justin Rogers reply to a fan who tweeted "crappy return though"

@Justin_Rogers

I understand your thinking here, but think of it like buying a new car, then selling it two years later after a major accident. You just aren't going to get the same value back.

The Lions got a fifth-round pick in return for a projected backup.

@JeffRisdon

I've said it before, I'll say it again: The fan interest in the Lions drafting Jalen Carter greatly exceeds the Lions' actual interest in drafting Jalen Carter--from everything I've been told by multiple people even pre-dating the Combine

I have a feeling if we stick and pick someone (besides Carter) is going to drop into our lap.

Worst case, take Witherspoon, dude has incredible instincts. Would love to see that energy on the Lions D.

@TomPelissero

The Lions will host Alabama edge Will Anderson Jr for a visit later this week, per sources.

One of the draft’s cleanest and most talented prospects, Anderson figures to be gone by Detroit’s pick at No. 6.

A possible candidate to trade up?

I think it's a Win for everyone, but it definitely is the kind of move that makes people uncomfortable.
Okudah needs to be moved to safety if he wants to stay in the league. Okudah is a good tackler but he can`t cover in single coverage.

I don't think anyone has any idea what Holmes is doing. It wouldn't surprise me if he took a QB, CB at 6 or traded up or back.

I don't want him to take a QB or CB at 6. Good corners are found in the 2 and 3 round all the time. Hopefully he takes a really good defensive lineman to pair with Aiden which makes the secondary better.

@ESPNStatsInfo

Jeff Okudah is the 2nd player in the last decade to be drafted in the top-3 overall and traded less than 3 years after being drafted.

The other was QB Sam Darnold, who was drafted by the Jets in 2018 and traded to the Panthers in April 2021.

@ESPNStatsInfo

Jeff Okudah is the 2nd player in the last decade to be drafted in the top-3 overall and traded less than 3 years after being drafted.

The other was QB Sam Darnold, who was drafted by the Jets in 2018 and traded to the Panthers in April 2021.
Wouldn't be surprised if Trey Lance (or Zach Wilson) joined that list before next year's draft.

(Pride of Detroit blog):

here’s how the money shifts around:

Detroit
  • Removes the projected $10.3M from the 2023 salary cap
  • Takes on $5.5M in dead cap (prorated bonus)
  • Freeing up $5.2M in new salary cap space
Atlanta
  • Takes on $5.2M in salary cap
  • Holds fifth-year option on Okudah worth over $11.5M

Lions 2023 salary cap implications

With Detroit now increasing their 2023 salary cap space by roughly $5.2 million, they now have an estimated $25.9M in salary cap room for the upcoming season.

The Lions' 2023 draft class figures to cost roughly $11M overall, but only $8M of that should could against the top-51 contracts and thus impact the cap. Add in another $5M or so for in-season moves, and the Lions still have a comfortable $12.9M in salary cap to utilize if they need to make any more trades or sign any more free agents.

Setting aside what people thought of him before the draft. Here is his NFL career:

Y1: Hamstring injury in training camp. Played poorly. Hurt his hamstring and had season ending surgery
Y2: Week 1 was a terrible game where he was getting burned, melting down and getting chewed out by coaches. His season ended that week with a ruptured achilles.
Y3: Started off pretty good, was making some tackles around the LOS and had the game where with some extra help he shut down Justin Jefferson. However, late in the year the Lions seemed to lose confidence in him and he found himself playing less and less defensive snaps. He was even being put on some special teams. They just deactivated him for the Packers game.

Lions are definitely planning a move. No way they make those 9 picks. I think they could be moving up somewhere.
I see the Lions getting 2 quality DEF selections in the 1st round, CB & Edge, and possibly moving up in the 2nd round a little to ensure getting a playmaker they like, such as Gibbs or Hyatt. Imagine if they get both!

Phil Simms is not buying the hype on Will Anderson, placing him 5th among edge rushers. Points out that nearly all his sacks were coverage sacks and not the result of elite pass rushing skills. He thinks Tyree Wilson is a freak and the top tier of the class and is an unstoppable force.

Phil Simms is not buying the hype on Will Anderson, placing him 5th among edge rushers. Points out that nearly all his sacks were coverage sacks and not the result of elite pass rushing skills. He thinks Tyree Wilson is a freak and the top tier of the class and is an unstoppable force.
Simms might be my least favorite analyst. He loves hot takes that get him attention.

Phil Simms thinks 4i and 5-tech are interchangeable. Tyree Wilson spent two years at A&M before transferring to Tech; he looks lost on the SEC tape. Kudos for the development but I’m not sure we should view Big 12 OLs to be equivalent competition.

One thing I’ve noticed about Wilson is he’s almost always the last guy off the line. He’s the opposite of explosive at the snap.

Anderson has more versatility to his pass rush plan. Wilson is a bit of a one note bull rush guy rn.

Regardless I’m hoping the first pick is a CB. My thought is if we walk out of the draft with a true CB1 and a ED2. There are only a few guys in this class who can play press man day 1. There are a good 12-15 Edge guys who can play effectively opposite Hutch.

IMO

It's only a win if he utilizes the cap space.

Kudos for the development but I’m not sure we should view Big 12 OLs to be equivalent competition.
Didn't someone post some data indicating, in aggregate, that Williams faced tougher o-lines than Anderson last season?

There is a lot of talk about these two so maybe it was a different thread.

Phil Simms thinks 4i and 5-tech are interchangeable. Tyree Wilson spent two years at A&M before transferring to Tech; he looks lost on the SEC tape. Kudos for the development but I’m not sure we should view Big 12 OLs to be equivalent competition.

One thing I’ve noticed about Wilson is he’s almost always the last guy off the line. He’s the opposite of explosive at the snap.

Anderson has more versatility to his pass rush plan. Wilson is a bit of a one note bull rush guy rn.

Regardless I’m hoping the first pick is a CB. My thought is if we walk out of the draft with a true CB1 and a ED2. There are only a few guys in this class who can play press man day 1. There are a good 12-15 Edge guys who can play effectively opposite Hutch.

IMO

This is where I am at. I want a cb at 6, a DL at 18 and a LB in round 2.

It's only a win if he utilizes the cap space.

They almost certainly will. In the most recent league year which ended last month, only Chicago rolled over a significant amount of Cap ($9.xxM), and they have to spend it this year. The next 9 teams with the highest rollover were between $400K and $1.5M. It’s very rare teams don’t max their cap utilization, that would be grossly inept management, and the cap rules don’t allow you to not use - eventually you have to spend.

The more I look at this draft I want Detroit to trade out of one or the other 1st round picks for next year. Keep the capital.

This is where I am at if it is possible. Would love to see them drop from 6 and try to pick up a first next year. Like say one QB is left and the Titans or someone in the teens wants him then trade back to 13 and next years first. Same for 18 move back to the end of the first or beginning of the second and maybe pick up another first.

This way if Goff does stink you have the ability to go get a QB next year if the USC or UNC QB are as good as we hope this fall.

Can’t remember which podcast it was but someone thought Anderson was a bit overrated, cited that he tended to rely on straight line trucking through people and didn’t really have any moves or nuanced abilities to beat his man

Who are tye Lions thinking about moving up to 3 for? I am not sold it is Will Anderson. I think it maybe a QB they love.

Users who are viewing this thread