What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (2 Viewers)

As @Leroy Hoard pointed out earlier, due to how KC tagged Snead it would cost Detroit two first rounders to acquire (plus a huge contract). I would say if that is the case it is about a zero percent chance he ends up in Detroit. You may want to spend some extra time with “righty”.
That's only if they sign him to a contract without a trade in place.

The Chiefs can trade him for whatever the two parties agree on. From what I understand.

Sorry if I was putting out any errent info, but I was quoting a fantasy pros article that was quoting nfl. com. As Holmes likes to say, us fans and media don't always have the full info that they do. And maybe neither does fantasy pros.

The 49ers will release Arik Armstead
Adam Schefter: Lions are re-signing guard Graham Glasgow to a 3-year, $20 million deal that includes $9.5 million guaranteed, per source.
I like it...good player and definitely need a backup for Ragnow. Very important signing. :thumbup:

Looks like Jonah will command $12M per. I get that he’s younger but GG outplayed him by a good margin.

The 49ers will release Arik Armstead
Adam Schefter: Lions are re-signing guard Graham Glasgow to a 3-year, $20 million deal that includes $9.5 million guaranteed, per source.
I like it...good player and definitely need a backup for Ragnow. Very important signing. :thumbup:

Looks like Jonah will command $12M per. I get that he’s younger but GG outplayed him by a good margin.

More bang for the buck. Also with Rags bum toe can fill in at center if needed.

Looks like the Lions made their big move....

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are trading cornerback Carlton Davis III to the Detroit Lions, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Tampa Bay is getting the Lions’ third-round pick in the 2024 NFL draft, while Detroit gets a sixth-rounder in each of the next two drafts along with Davis, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Davis has been a quality starter for the Bucs when healthy, but has missed 16 games over the past three seasons due to injury. He was set to make $14.5 million this season in the final year of his current contract, and he fills the biggest need for the Lions on defense.

Hopefully outside of the injury history they didn’t give up a third for a 1 year contract and their is an extension coming.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are trading cornerback Carlton Davis III to the Detroit Lions, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Tampa Bay is getting the Lions’ third-round pick in the 2024 NFL draft, while Detroit gets a sixth-rounder in each of the next two drafts along with Davis, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Davis has been a quality starter for the Bucs when healthy, but has missed 16 games over the past three seasons due to injury. He was set to make $14.5 million this season in the final year of his current contract, and he fills the biggest need for the Lions on defense.
Hope he doesn't end up becoming this year's Mosely/Ceedee Deuce

Davenport if he is healthy is a good signing. But is one of those guys who has trouble staying on the field.
Viking fans seem happy that he went to us. We’re concerned about his injury history before they signed him to a one year.

Carlton Davis traded to Lions.
Any insight on what we are getting here? Seemed like the Buc’s struggled in pass defense last season.
He's a good/great press corner, but for some reason Bowles has gotten away from that lately due to the pass rush not being as dominant. It's a cap move for Tampa and Carlton is going into his last year. He has had trouble staying healthy his entire career. He'll likely miss 4-5 games with some nagging injury.

Decent pickup, not sure this is a big move. Graded out just a little better than Cam Sutton. Sutton was OK until he ran into a string of top WRs. Lions needs bodies at CB though. Still think they will get more help there.

Decent pickup, not sure this is a big move. Graded out just a little better than Cam Sutton. Sutton was OK until he ran into a string of top WRs. Lions needs bodies at CB though. Still think they will get more help there.

He is a far better coverage guy than Sutton. Last year was his worst season, his previous 3 he was a legit low-end #1 cover guy. Not sure why the drop-off last season though.

He is a far better coverage guy than Sutton. Last year was his worst season, his previous 3 he was a legit low-end #1 cover guy. Not sure why the drop-off last season though.
Sutton graded out much higher his previous 3 seasons too. Pass rush probably has something to do with it.

No earth shattering news today but they did shore up the CB, DE, and OG positions, while giving up a late #3 and getting back a couple of #6's. I suspect they aren't finished yet but imo they have helped their BPA draft strategy with these pick ups.
I'm praying for no shattering of earths, so I'm happy. Big splashy FA signings rarely pay off. The best strategy is to wait out the big contracts and then shop in the bargain bin

Regarding the Carlton Davis trade he now becomes the third highest paid Lion for the upcoming season.

Has missed significant time each of the last three seasons.

Lions have up the latter of their two third round picks.

Jamar Chase called Davis the hardest CB he played against. Don’t know when Chase said this.

Sutton graded out much higher his previous 3 seasons too. Pass rush probably has something to do with it.
I wonder if some of it was due to coaching. Maybe that explains why Bly was let go. Sutton's poor play really didn't make sense given his previous 3 years.

Shouldn’t coaching stay with you though.

Not if Bly put him in poor situations. Otherwise you end up like Swift during his last year with Lions. Not playing a lot.

MIN losing Cousins and replacing him with Darnold (for now at least) makes me smile as a Lion’s fan. Bears sign Swift to decent money and will somehow mess up their great draft position opportunity. That leaves the Packers…who do present a problem.

No earth shattering news today but they did shore up the CB, DE, and OG positions, while giving up a late #3 and getting back a couple of #6's. I suspect they aren't finished yet but imo they have helped their BPA draft strategy with these pick ups.
I'm praying for no shattering of earths, so I'm happy. Big splashy FA signings rarely pay off. The best strategy is to wait out the big contracts and then shop in the bargain bin
That's what the Ravens do. The fan base goes nuts when all of splash signings are made on Day One or Two by other teams. Then Baltimore starts sniping good fits. Granted, some of that is because they are usually up against the cap. But it's also their philosophy.

That's what the Ravens do. The fan base goes nuts when all of splash signings are made on Day One or Two by other teams. Then Baltimore starts sniping good fits. Granted, some of that is because they are usually up against the cap. But it's also their philosophy.
Chiefs too. Veach rarely shops on day one.

Chiefs too. Veach rarely shops on day one.
I bet most of the consistently good franchises operate that way. Of course, part of the reason they can afford to is that they are already good.

If Lions are going to keep and extend their good young players going after the second wave of FAs is the way to go.

I am sure Holmes and DC did their homework on Davis and he is the type of player that will be a good fit. Wish he had more than 1 year left on his deal is my only concern.

They also get compensatory picks up the wazoo. Can anyone tell me, what is Holmes' track record on compensatory picks? How many has he gotten, and have any become key contributors?

They also get compensatory picks up the wazoo. Can anyone tell me, what is Holmes' track record on compensatory picks? How many has he gotten, and have any become key contributors?
Starting S Kerby Joseph was a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round.

Starting S Kerby Joseph was a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round.

From letting Kenny G walk (G-men paid $72M/4 yrs) - Holmes second major decision after engineering the haul from the drama free Stafford trade.

Also got James Mitchell with a 5th round comp pick (MJJ to Jags) and James Houston IV with a 6th round comp pick (Jarrad Davis to NYJ) that same draft.

Since 2016, those 3 comp picks in 2022 were the only compensatory picks Detroit has received. Historically we’re always trying to plugs holes in the dyke via free agency bc pre-Holmes the drafting was so spotty.

Since 2016, those 3 comp picks in 2022 were the only compensatory picks Detroit has received. Historically we’re always trying to plugs holes in the dyke via free agency bc pre-Holmes the drafting was so spotty.
Good point. Strong drafts are truly the gift that keeps on giving. Aside from the direct benefit of good young players on cheap contracts, it allows you to sit out free agency and get more compensatories (which you can hopefully turn into more good draft picks), and it gives you the luxury of letting marginal guys walk rather than overpaying them, because you're confident you can draft their replacements

According to OverTheCap.com, Lions are currently 25th in FA spending so far, with $12M. Inject that **** right into my veins!

According to OverTheCap.com, Lions are currently 25th in FA spending so far, with $12M. Inject that **** right into my veins!

Obviously that does not include the $14 million we just picked up in the trade with Tampa.

Any insight on what we are getting here? Seemed like the Buc’s struggled in pass defense last season.
An even more knowledgeable post from a Bucs' forum I frequent. Super intelligent football mind.

CD3 (not sure what number he'll take there...might be CD24 or CD33!) is one of the best Man Coverage defenders in the league. No questions asked.

* Put him in Press Man or Bump & Run, In-phase, and he's elite.

* Put him in Off Man and he's solid but less good.

* Put him in Off Zone and ask him to Click & Close and he's ok (he's improved dramatically).

* Ask him to play Bail/Out of Phase in like Match Quarters or Cover 3 and he's rather JAG-ish.

The issue on our team is that Coach Bowles has done the same things he's done everywhere. Over time, he's evolved to play overwhelmingly that 3rd and 4th bullet point...same thing he's done everywhere else. The issue is Davis (and Dean to a lesser degree) is excellent at the first two bullet points, but totally replaceable at the latter two. And we're seeing stacked injury concerns. Last 3 years the median # of snaps for the top 30 CBs in snaps in the NFL is a hair under 1000 Snaps per Reg Season. Davis is a hair over 70 % of that. That is a ton of missed snaps.

So you're getting the guy I mention above + a solid, willing tackler and run support player + a player who can diagnose perimeter screens and spill the play to help or make the play.

For us, the injuries + averageness at various Zone responsibilities make him expendable unfortunately (loved the pick, loved the player, but the fit became weird as the scheme evolved away from his skillset). So if you're saying that your Lions are playing a ton of Press and Off Man (I'm only vaguely aware of your scheme tendencies so I'll defer to you), then you got a very good player (possibly elite pending % of Press Man snaps)..but he gets nicked and misses a lot of snaps...so good luck there!

===================

TLDR, I think this was a good move by Licht. Getting a top 100 pick (about 110 draft value) for a 70 % snap playing CB who is increasingly a weird fit + needed salary shed and some cap space - a pair of 6th rounders (maybe 25 draft value) - escalation of dead cap that will have to be distributed = Net Win IMO. And, again, I say this as someone who loved the pick and the player/teammate. Good luck CD3. Might see another Super Bowl with the Lions.

An even more knowledgeable post from a Bucs' forum I frequent. Super intelligent football mind.

CD3 (not sure what number he'll take there...might be CD24 or CD33!) is one of the best Man Coverage defenders in the league. No questions asked.

* Put him in Press Man or Bump & Run, In-phase, and he's elite.

* Put him in Off Man and he's solid but less good.

* Put him in Off Zone and ask him to Click & Close and he's ok (he's improved dramatically).

* Ask him to play Bail/Out of Phase in like Match Quarters or Cover 3 and he's rather JAG-ish.

The issue on our team is that Coach Bowles has done the same things he's done everywhere. Over time, he's evolved to play overwhelmingly that 3rd and 4th bullet point...same thing he's done everywhere else. The issue is Davis (and Dean to a lesser degree) is excellent at the first two bullet points, but totally replaceable at the latter two. And we're seeing stacked injury concerns. Last 3 years the median # of snaps for the top 30 CBs in snaps in the NFL is a hair under 1000 Snaps per Reg Season. Davis is a hair over 70 % of that. That is a ton of missed snaps.

So you're getting the guy I mention above + a solid, willing tackler and run support player + a player who can diagnose perimeter screens and spill the play to help or make the play.

For us, the injuries + averageness at various Zone responsibilities make him expendable unfortunately (loved the pick, loved the player, but the fit became weird as the scheme evolved away from his skillset). So if you're saying that your Lions are playing a ton of Press and Off Man (I'm only vaguely aware of your scheme tendencies so I'll defer to you), then you got a very good player (possibly elite pending % of Press Man snaps)..but he gets nicked and misses a lot of snaps...so good luck there!

===================

TLDR, I think this was a good move by Licht. Getting a top 100 pick (about 110 draft value) for a 70 % snap playing CB who is increasingly a weird fit + needed salary shed and some cap space - a pair of 6th rounders (maybe 25 draft value) - escalation of dead cap that will have to be distributed = Net Win IMO. And, again, I say this as someone who loved the pick and the player/teammate. Good luck CD3. Might see another Super Bowl with the Lions.
He seems like a scheme fit for sure in terms of Glenn's style of defense.

The Detroit News reports the Lions and John Cominsky re-worked the veteran defensive lineman’s contract. Cominsky reduced his base from $5.1 million to $2.5 million, with his cap hit falling from $6.3 to $4.2 million. The veteran provides depth on the defensive line, on the outside and inside, as one of those beloved versatile trench players around these parts. Cominsky started a career-high 11 games last season after his 2022 breakout campaign. His numbers were down. But he fills a need, and it’s impossible to ignore the culture fit and how he recently thrived in this scheme. And even with Marcus Davenport joining and Cominsky sticking around, the Lions still need more for their defensive line across the board.

Does the CB signings increase the likelihood that a pass rusher is drafted at one? Townsend looks like he will help there but might be DE 3. For Davis to play press our pass rush needs to improve to help Hutchison.

Principal draft needs are IOL, DE, CB and WR.

And DT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread