What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (8 Viewers)

I suppose this also means (a long with basically never playing) that Brodiric Martin is not ready at all.

The last three picks in 2023 are all a waste so far.
  • Martin had 28 defensive snaps and never played special teams.
  • Sorsdal had 253 snaps over 5 games *(3 starts) and was flat out horrible, especially in pass pro. GG talked about him and Kayode yesterday and said the fundamental issue with Coby is just developing his play strength - I imagine the staff and facilities at William &. Mary are a far cry from NFL caliber.
  • Green played 116 snaps and had two targets *(1 catch for 2 yards); at least he's good in run blocking (82.6 PFF Grade.)
At least the later two chipped in with ST duty when they were active (including playoffs, 19 G for the OL, 12 G for the WR.) Day 3 guys usually need 2-3 years to find their way or wash out, maybe we will see some progress this year. The first two drafts Holmes did quite well with his Day 3 picks and UDFA, but clearly the time/resource allocation was mostly on the first 2.5 rounds last year.

They crushed the first 5 picks so no real reason to complain I guess.

I suppose this also means (a long with basically never playing) that Brodiric Martin is not ready at all.

• Sorsdal had 253 snaps over 5 games *(3 starts) and was flat out horrible, especially in pass pro. GG talked about him and Kayode yesterday and said the fundamental issue with Coby is just developing his play strength - I imagine the staff and facilities at William &. Mary are a far cry from NFL caliber.
  • Green played 116 snaps and had two targets *(1 catch for 2 yards); at least he's good in run blocking (82.6 PFF Grade.)
At least the later two chipped in with ST duty when they were active (including playoffs, 19 G for the OL, 12 G for the WR.) Day 3 guys usually need 2-3 years to find their way or wash out, maybe we will see some progress this year. The first two drafts Holmes did quite well with his Day 3 picks and UDFA, but clearly the time/resource allocation was mostly on the first 2.5 rounds last year.

No complaints and makes sense the later picks would be developmental at best but I did maybe expect something from Martin

Broken record alert. I just cannot explain how nice it is to have a GM that appears to have a process in regards to building a team. Some may be upset because we are not breaking the bank for some guys, I am elated we are not. Home grown proven talent that we intend to try to keep around. No more idiotic winning the first day of free agency or overpaying for a square peg that goes in a round hole. We are building for now and the future at the same time. Freaking love it….

@ttwentyman
·
1h

Lions now have two players in the middle of their D-line who ranked in the Top 10 by @PFF against the run last year – Alim McNeill (8th) & DJ Reader (10th)

Detroit Vs Everybody
@vs_everybody
·
1h

Vikings go get Aaron Jones
Packers go get Josh Jacobs
Bears go get D’Andre Swift

Lions build a brick wall to stop them
A paper wall would have sufficed probably

Broken record alert. I just cannot explain how nice it is to have a GM that appears to have a process in regards to building a team. Some may be upset because we are not breaking the bank for some guys, I am elated we are not. Home grown proven talent that we intend to try to keep around. No more idiotic winning the first day of free agency or overpaying for a square peg that goes in a round hole. We are building for now and the future at the same time. Freaking love it….
Yep, those break the bank FA signings almost never work out

They knew Martin and Sorsdal were projects and were not expecting year one production out of them. Brad and Dan are not disappointed in either pick. They will be if the don't develop into solid back-ups or rotational pieces this year.

Anything a 6th or 7th round pick gives you is gravey.

This spring is make or break for Levi, who could be their first real bust.

This spring is make or break for Levi, who could be their first real bust.

Josh is trending that way. Onwuzurike was pick 41 Y1, Paschal went at 46 Y2, he played 500+ snaps last year and ranked 87th (out of 121) in positional rankings.

Then again...JP outplayed Thibodeaux last year lol. Brad's misses are miniscule compared to average GMs.

Remember when everyone said Hutch had maxed out in college, didn't have as much upside as other Edge prospects? + Sumtin sumtin T-Rex arms. lololololol

IMHO, Brad Holmes killed it this off season. The seven core starters we kept (Alim/Hutch/Campbell/Anzalone/Kirby/Iffy/Branch) are damn good. Barnes and Houston are very nice rotational pieces, but we really had 4 gapping holes on defense. And by gapping holes, I don't think any of them would be starting for other teams. Holmes brought in 4 very good players who are legitimate starters who will fill those holes. Filling those holes makes every position better. If this is not a top 10 defense this season, Aaron Glenn needs to go. Lack of talent is no longer an excuse. Hopefully the new secondary coaches make a difference.

Jonah was our only painful loss, otherwise our offensive starters are awesome. I am sure Brad will bring in some help on the OL. With the FA pick-ups, it opens up Brad to draft best available. But with the short contract structure, CB still needs a longer term answer and OL studs are always important.

Josh is trending that way. Onwuzurike was pick 41 Y1, Paschal went at 46 Y2, he played 500+ snaps last year and ranked 87th (out of 121) in positional rankings.
I'm hoping the massive upgrade at D-Line coach will help some of these young linemen develop.

Listen to the Reader presser I linked above. Dude is def looking to mentor guys like Martin (talked about him, Hutch and McNeil.)

Said he's a big fan of Alim, they're both Carolina guys (NC State, Clemson), both played college baseball. Dude has carved out a nice career after being a 5th round pick. Has been a starter since his rookie year, took a huge leap in Year 4, got paid, and kept getting better. Consistently been a top 15 / top 10 DT for the last five seasons. Amongst true 1-techs (NT) he's been among the best 2 or 3 in the league.

The only issue has been health. It's the same thing with Marcus Davenport and Carlton Davis; there's a reason guys this talented are reasonably priced.

Guaranteed portion of the FA signings:
  • DJ Reader - his agent says $9M of the 2 year 27M is GTD, we'll see the details later
  • Marcus Davenport - still unofficial as well but it's being reported as $6.5M GTD for his 1 year, $10.5M prove it deal
  • Amik Robertson - 2 years, $9.25M, $4.5M GTD
Upgrades with minimal damage to the overall cap.

Not much they can do with the Carlton Davis trade; taking on a $14M base that is the third highest in the league for CBs.

But it's one year and if they choose to extend him they'll backload it so his cap hit would be low in 2025 if he stays healthy and plays like the guy he's always been when he's in the right scheme.

Wonder after the Allen trade to the Bears if the Chargers are going to blow things up. One to get under the salary cap and rebuild and as part of this for Harbaugh to trade Herbert and go after Jj McCarthy in the draft.

Wonder after the Allen trade to the Bears if the Chargers are going to blow things up. One to get under the salary cap and rebuild and as part of this for Harbaugh to trade Herbert and go after Jj McCarthy in the draft.
Has a team ever traded a QB as young and as successful as Herbert?

Right now they pick 5-37-69. Harbough could ask for the Mtrifecta.
JJ - Roman Wilson and Blake Corum. 👀

Never understood the Martin pick..at least trading up to get him.

Just hope Reader can stay on the field after 2 torn quads. If he can things will be much different up front.

Lions getting a 4th rounder for Swift looking good a year later.

Started hot in Philly but faded. Now Chicago signs him for three years. Don’t think the Lions are very concerned.
And he'll be making more this year than Gibbs and Monty combined.

I was skeptical on draft day last year (and I'm still not totally convinced it was a smart long-term move to draft a RB that high), but so far at least, Holmes has proven me wrong. Detroit's RB situation is way better than it was a year ago

Did not have the lions on my “need a WR” list. Huh.

The roster is pretty solid, mostly looking for upgrades. Biggest need atm is probably starting LG.

But their strategy is to use FA to fill needs so you’re free to take BPA in the draft. They don’t have a depth chart in the war room & try to ensure they’re only choosing based on talent evaluation, not reaching to plug a hole.

There’s a good 4-5 directions they could go on Day 1 & finding another flavor WR (specifically bigger guy to play the X) is def on the table.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Looking like they might move on from Josh Reynolds eh
Hmmm...I prefer Josh but not for much money. I want to see DPJ play special teams or at least try. Can he still do that?

Why not?
This is what I want to see. He always gave defenses hell in the return game at Michigan.
2 years ago he had 61-840-3TDs for the Browns. Those would be great #3 numbers here.

Looks like they patched most of their holes pre draft, perhaps still an o lineman out there in FA? It should set up for another exciting BPA draft for Holmes.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Hmmm...I prefer Josh but not for much money. I want to see DPJ play special teams or at least try. Can he still do that?

Why not?
This is what I want to see. He always gave defenses hell in the return game at Michigan.
2 years ago he had 61-840-3TDs for the Browns. Those would be great #3 numbers here.

If he even sniffs that the Lions are in trouble. It means their defense is bottom 5 or they have had multiple injuries to the skill players.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Why not?

If he even sniffs that the Lions are in trouble. It means their defense is bottom 5 or they have had multiple injuries to the skill players.

Lions still have no idea if Williams is going to be a solid WR, explosive yes. 80 catch guy who knows? They need a good #3.

Jones just turned 25 and had upside so hopefully he will be that guy.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Why not?

Lions still have no idea if Williams is going to be a solid WR, explosive yes. 80 catch guy who knows? They need a good #3.

ARSB, LaPorta and the 2 rbs will be getting most of the production.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Why not?

At this point I am just hoping Jameson becomes a consistent deep threat, I do not expect him to be a volume producer (nor does he need to be with ARSB & LaPorta). I would be a shocked if we did not draft a receiver with the available depth at the position this year. Need to keep up with the Jones’ in weapons category.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Why not?

For sure but Reynolds had 600 yards and 5 TDs this year. I would like to see Jamo be more consistent and get those kinds of numbers plus some but there might be a WR3 role for DPJ.

I would take DJ Chark back on a reasonable contract. But I would expect Renoylds and Chark will sign for similar numbers, which is more than what the Lions want to spend. Lions will bargain shop for that wr3/wr4 to rotate with DPJ.

Drafting solid players and getting the most out of them is how teams become perennial contenders.

DPJ signed (1 yr $2M)

Why not?

For sure but Reynolds had 600 yards and 5 TDs this year. I would like to see Jamo be more consistent and get those kinds of numbers plus some but there might be a WR3 role for DPJ.

To me Reynold's contributions were more about being clutch than numbers. His box score would show 3 catches for 50 yards but they were all on third and longs and changed the outcome of the game.

Goff has played with him a long time going back to L.A. He trusted him in big spots and Reynolds always delivered. It's unfortunate the NFC Championship game painted him as the opposite of how he played all year. I'm not convinced DPJ or even Jamo are upgrades to what Reynolds provided in key situations,

The Ringer's article about the Lions in FA:

The Detroit Lions are striking the right balance.

The best news for them came when offensive coordinator Ben Johnson decided he wanted to stick around in lieu of taking a head-coaching job. The Lions finished fifth in offensive DVOA last season, and they’re bringing almost everyone back. Among the 13 offensive players who logged at least 400 offensive snaps for the Lions last season, the only two who aren’t under contract for 2024 are guard Jonah Jackson (who signed with the Rams) and wide receiver Josh Reynolds (currently unsigned as a free agent). This group is positioned to put up a lot of points once again.

Defense is where the Lions decided they needed a talent upgrade, and I like what they’ve done on that side of the ball. Detroit acquired Bucs cornerback Carlton Davis III for a third-round pick (they also got a pair of sixth-rounders back). Davis has had some injury issues (he played a total of 25 games the past two seasons), but he is a feisty, experienced outside corner who is entering only his age-28 season. When he’s on the field, Davis will offer an obvious upgrade to the players Detroit had on the field last year. They also signed versatile corner Amik Robertson to a two-year, $9.25 million deal.

Up front, the Lions took a flier on former first-round pick defensive lineman Marcus Davenport. Last offseason, Davenport signed a one-year, $13 million deal with the Vikings. He played in just four games because of injury. That’s obviously a risk once again, but the Lions are buying low, signing Davenport to a reported one-year, $6.5 million deal. If he can stay relatively healthy, that’s a nice deal even if he’s just an average starter.

And finally, the Lions added defensive tackle D.J. Reader on a two-year, $27.25 million deal with around $9 million guaranteed. Reader is an excellent run-stopping defensive tackle who fits what the Lions want to do. My only question here is resource allocation, considering the Lions already had the best run defense in the NFL last year.

The Lions are in a tricky spot. On one hand, it seems like they feel like they’re close, and they want to go for it. On the other, they have a young core, and they want to build something sustainable. General manager Brad Holmes has done a nice job of trying to balance both of those objectives. The bottom line is that the Lions were Super Bowl contenders last year, and on paper, they’ve gotten better this offseason.

They filled in all their holes, so they have a solid group of starters. There weakest spot is still at DE and CB. Solid off season...now for the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread