What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (4 Viewers)

Penalties & turnovers are a matter of discipline not talent.

ARSB has not been reliable the last two games, needs to bounce back.

Teams are really clogging the middle passing lanes. Goff is elite on in breaking routes but teams don’t respect the outside routes.

Ran too many screens in Chicago; need to push the ball downfield Saturday.

Jamo needs more than one or two touches per game. He’s had exactly one game with more than 3 targets (the Baltimore 0/6 debacle) and has never had more than 2 touches. He’s not being double teamed, it shouldn’t be that hard to ramp up his workload. Need to expand his route tree.

Ifeatu Melifonwu played well in the last game; career high 70 snaps, outstanding in run support, decent coverage day. Jack Campbell had another solid game as did John Cominsky. JRM has a limited package but he’s been outstanding the last two weeks.

Watching the All 22 I saw some encouraging tape in what the defense was doing. Need to do a better job of tackling but I liked the changes they implemented. Hopefully they have Irvin healthy for this one.

Sounds like Decker (4 sacks allowed Week 14) is dealing with a back issue. If he can’t go versus the Broncos it will be the Lions 10th starting OL combination. Campbell seemed hopeful about Ragnow so he might be back.

Completely agreed on Jamo. Since Baltimore his catch rate has been good and he’s been effective whenever they’ve got the ball to him. Was it 2-3 weeks ago Johnson came out and said his workload would be increasing ? And yet last weekend 1 end around and 1 target that someone earlier in the thread suggested Jamo looked all at sea over. To me Goff under threw the ball massively in the face of a pass rush and Jamo was simply turning back to track a ball which had no hope of reaching him.

He’s been getting better, at least send 4-5 targets his way and see what he can do

Denver has won 6 of their last 7, with the only loss being at Houston 2 weeks ago. They also will be playing their 3rd straight road game, not sure if that really has any huge effect even with the slightly shortened week. Surprised they are a 4 point dog in Detroit and +160 on the money line to win outright.

Obviously the offense needs to once again bounce back from 3 turnovers and a putrid 13 point effort.
Betting against a team who was playing a 3rd straight road game used to be one of those betting situations that had a huge winning percentage.
I seem to remember that also. I guess if stuff works, at some point they start to bake that into the line. Maybe that's why I'm surprised the line isn't closer, since the Broncos have been playing so much better lately than the Lions.
Still not sure what's driving this, but Denver is now up to +5 and +195 on the money line.

Teams are really clogging the middle passing lanes. Goff is elite on in breaking routes but teams don’t respect the outside routes.

Jamo needs more than one or two touches per game. He’s had exactly one game with more than 3 targets (the Baltimore 0/6 debacle) and has never had more than 2 touches. He’s not being double teamed, it shouldn’t be that hard to ramp up his workload. Need to expand his route tree.

Ifeatu Melifonwu played well in the last game; career high 70 snaps, outstanding in run support, decent coverage day. Jack Campbell had another solid game as did John Cominsky. JRM has a limited package but he’s been outstanding the last two weeks.

Watching the All 22 I saw some encouraging tape in what the defense was doing. Need to do a better job of tackling but I liked the changes they implemented. Hopefully they have Irvin healthy for this one.

Sounds like Decker (4 sacks allowed Week 14) is dealing with a back issue. If he can’t go versus the Broncos it will be the Lions 10th starting OL combination. Campbell seemed hopeful about Ragnow so he might be back.

Completely agreed on Jamo. Since Baltimore his catch rate has been good and he’s been effective whenever they’ve got the ball to him. Was it 2-3 weeks ago Johnson came out and said his workload would be increasing ? And yet last weekend 1 end around and 1 target that someone earlier in the thread suggested Jamo looked all at sea over. To me Goff under threw the ball massively in the face of a pass rush and Jamo was simply turning back to track a ball which had no hope of reaching him.

He’s been getting better, at least send 4-5 targets his way and see what he can do
I think part of the problem was the line was struggling, and Goff didn't have enough time to wait for a deep route to develop

Doesn't it seem that the Lions o-line has had an high number of injuries and missed games last couple of seasons? Sewell has basically been the only lineman not injured.

At 9-4, the Detroit Lions are on the precipice of their first postseason appearance since 2016. As of right now, only one team in the NFL—the San Francisco 49ers—has clinched their playoff ticket. But the Lions are one of four teams (Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles) who can join them this week.

Here’s a reminder of what the current NFC playoff picture looks like through 14 weeks of the 2023 season.

NFC Playoff Picture

Division leaders
  1. 49ers: 10-3
  2. Cowboys: 10-3
  3. Lions: 9-4
  4. Buccaneers: 6-7
Wild Card race (top three advance)
  1. Eagles: 10-3
  2. Vikings: 7-6
  3. Packers: 6-7
  4. Rams: 6-7
  5. Seahawks: 6-7
  6. Falcons: 6-7
  7. Saints: 6-7

There are 16 different scenarios that could happen that would guarantee a playoff berth for the Lions in Week 15.

Let’s start with the seven that involve a Lions win over the Broncos:
  1. Lions win + Vikings loss/tie + Seahawks loss/tie
  2. Lions win + Packers loss/tie + Seahawks loss/tie
  3. Lions win + Rams loss/tie + Seahawks loss/tie
  4. Lions win + Vikings loss/tie + Buccaneers loss/tie + Rams loss/tie
  5. Lions win + Vikings loss/tie + Falcons loss/tie + Rams loss/tie
  6. Lions win + Falcons loss/tie + Packers loss/tie + Rams loss/tie
  7. Lions win + Packers/Bucs tie + Rams loss/tie
Here are the other nine scenarios that are available if the Lions TIE the Broncos:
  1. DET tie + TB loss + SEA loss + LAR loss
  2. DET tie + GB loss + SEA loss + LAR loss
  3. DET tie + LAR loss + SEA loss + ATL loss
  4. DET tie + GB loss + SEA loss + ATL loss or tie
  5. DET tie + MIN loss + SEA loss + LAR loss
  6. DET tie + GB loss + LAR loss + ATL loss or tie + NO loss or tie
  7. DET tie + GB-TB tie + MIN loss + SEA loss + LAR tie
  8. DET tie + GB-TB tie + MIN loss + SEA loss + ATL loss or tie
  9. DET tie + GB-TB tie + MIN loss + LAR loss + ATL loss or tie

There aren’t any scenarios in which the Lions can clinch the NFC North this week, however, they can clinch that next week if they simply just beat the Broncos on Saturday and then defeat the Vikings the following week.

Here are the relevant NFC matchups in Week 15 for rooting purposes:

Broncos (7-6) at Lions (9-4) — Saturday
Vikings (6-7) at Bengals (7-6) — Saturday
Buccaneers (6-7) at Packers (6-7)
Falcons (6-7) at Panthers (1-12)
Commanders (4-9) at Rams (6-7)
Eagles (10-3) at Seahawks (6-7) — MNF

In short, root for the Lions to win, and as many of the 6-7 NFC teams to lose. The good news is that one of the Buccaneers or Packers will lose or tie this week, which is just one small piece of the puzzle for a Lions playoff berth this week.

Dan Campbell presser today

Talked a lot about Sean Payton a lot; was under him8 years as a player and 5 years as Assistant HC, his mentor & obviously biggest influence.

CJGJ has been medically cleared, will open his window soon. The plan is to get him back ASAP. "He's gotten the strength back, it is secure ... He's going to be ready to go soon"

Nothing definitive on Ragnow but he’ll practice in full & it’s looking good.

Saturday will be the first matchup between the Broncos and Lions in which both teams had a winning record entering the game.

Denver leads the all time series 9-5-0.

Dan Campbell presser today

Talked a lot about Sean Payton a lot; was under him8 years as a player and 5 years as Assistant HC, his mentor & obviously biggest influence.

CJGJ has been medically cleared, will open his window soon. The plan is to get him back ASAP. "He's gotten the strength back, it is secure ... He's going to be ready to go soon"

Nothing definitive on Ragnow but he’ll practice in full & it’s looking good.

Need Ceedy Duce back in the lineup to bring some fire.

1. Are you confident the Lions are headed in the right direction? (weekly poll following result)
  • Week 1 win over Chiefs: 99%
  • Week 2 loss to Seahawks: 86%
  • Week 3 win over Falcons: 97%
  • Week 4 win over Packers: 99%
  • Week 5 win over the Panthers: 99%
  • Week 6 win over the Buccaneers: 99%
  • Week 7 loss to the Ravens: 95%
  • Week 8 win over Raiders: 98%
  • Week 9 bye week: 98%
  • Week 10 win over the Chargers: 99%
  • Week 11 win over the Bears: 97%
  • Week 12 loss to the Packers: 80%
  • Week 13 win over the Saints: 84%
  • Week 14 loss to the Bears: 58%

After the Broncos destroyed the Chiefs their defense has been lights out. NFLN had a story about what the defense is doing, the schemes used to confuse the O-line and the QB. I'd imagine they have some new stuff dialed up for the suddenly turnover-happy Goff. His comp % has gone from 69.7 Nov 12th, to 57.1 Dec 10th. Each week the percentage has gone down. Is he in full spiral down mode? The Broncos front 7 is a sack happy bunch.
I'd be very , very nervous starting Goff, but I'm all-in on starting Broncos defense today. This has the potential to be an ugly game for the Lions. They always seem to falter in spots like this. national game, special day ( not unlike Thanksgiving).

I have a feeling Jamo will break out tonight. The Broncos will try to bracket ARSB and they have been blitzing a lot. I think Ben Johnson will have a play or two designed to go to Jamo when the Broncos blitz and if a deep safety brackets ARSB it will leave Jamo one-on-one with a DB that can't run with him.

I have a feeling Jamo will break out tonight. The Broncos will try to bracket ARSB and they have been blitzing a lot. I think Ben Johnson will have a play or two designed to go to Jamo when the Broncos blitz and if a deep safety brackets ARSB it will leave Jamo one-on-one with a DB that can't run with him.

Josh is banged up again. Would love to Jamo’s snap count share spike with 5-6 targets instead of the typical 2-3.

Some designed Jamo run plays would break the Broncos.

There's a great episode of one of my all-time favorite shows, Cheers, where the notoriously superstitious Carla and her fiance Eddie accidentally see each other on their wedding day. A run of bad luck ensues, culminating in Eddie being released by the Bruins. At that point, Carla finally realizes that no, that's not bad luck. Eddie is just a lousy goalie.

Why do I tell this story? This has been a great Lions seasons, and I hope they make the playoffs because, once they do, anything can happen. But I know they probably can't run the gauntlet of Dallas, Philly and SF to make the Super Bowl. But if that's how things play out, it'll be because Goff is a good, not great, QB, and because the defense still isn't good enough. It won't be because the franchise is cursed, or because they're the "same old Lions".

And if that does happen, I will also have faith in Holmes and Campbell to address those weaknesses and continue to improve. Because again, no curse.

In the meantime, though, I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride

To make playoffs (this week):
*SEA Loss(/Tie) or
*Rams & Falcons Losses or
*Rams & Bucs Losses
Go, um, Eagles?!?

To win division:
*One Win or Tie
*GB Loss and Minnesota Loss vs Packers (really one loss, but other games are against Detroit, so...)

Terrific bounce back.
They haven't lost 2 in a row in close to 14 months now.

7-0 straight up and ATS after they lose over the last 24 games (18-6)

Goff is very much a rhythm QB; he looked shaky taking that first sack, covering up when there was still a play to be made

but those first three possessions were important from the standpoint of the defense kept bailing them out, which I think helped Jared settle down

once he got rolling it didn't matter how many blitzers Denver sent bc he was dealing

last night looked exactly like the Detroit Lions Weeks 1-6 on offense

defensively, that was AG showing some real creativity bringing the DBs on blitzes

tip of the cap to the much-maligned DC for using different personnel and changing the scheme to find a way to have an impact

bad as the defense was Weeks 7-14, that is pretty impressive, getting them to believe in themselves again and play with some swagger

Ceedy coming

All 22 Films - Lions 42, Broncos 17 Week 15 reaction video

Anzalone 12 tackles

Melifonwu 9 tackles, sack, forced fumble, 2 passes defended - had the highest PFF grade in run defense last week and last night was again outstanding in run support + blitzes

Khalil Dorsey had an outstanding game at CB with 5 tackles and a PD

8 passes defended and 8 QB hits

when the defense plays with that level of controlled aggression they are tough to beat

last night looked exactly like the Detroit Lions Weeks 1-6 on offense

defensively, that was AG showing some real creativity bringing the DBs on blitzes

tip of the cap to the much-maligned DC for using different personnel and changing the scheme to find a way to have an impact

bad as the defense was Weeks 7-14, that is pretty impressive, getting them to believe in themselves again and play with some swagger

Ceedy coming
I thought your boys looked really good yesterday. It took them a minute to figure it out but, once they did, they put the hammer down.

Can you do me a favor, though? Tell Goff it's ok to throw a TD pass over 20 yards. I have him in my FF league and we give bonuses for longer scores. TIA.

Can you do me a favor, though? Tell Goff it's ok to throw a TD pass over 20 yards. I have him in my FF league and we give bonuses for longer scores. TIA
On the positive side, there is little confidence in the kicking game, so lots of going for it on 4th down.

Can you do me a favor, though? Tell Goff it's ok to throw a TD pass over 20 yards. I have him in my FF league and we give bonuses for longer scores. TIA
On the positive side, there is little confidence in the kicking game, so lots of going for it on 4th down.
Good point. I was also shocked when they threw for his 5th TD.

Dan Campbell & Sean Payton meet at midfield for the postgame handshake

IDK what they said but pretty sure it was along the lines of "Sorry about that FU touchdown at the end" to which the mentor replied "You kidding? I would have done the same thing to you."

Those dudes love each other but there's nothing they enjoy more than beating each other - big win for MCDC on a personal level.

edit - sorry, that was pregame | postgame

Campbell earlier in the week:

"I’m not going to get soft and comfy and cozy, because I know him. He’s going to want to stick it to us. He’s going to bring it. He’s out for blood now, and that’s why he’s a damn good coach and why I respect the hell out of him."

Users who are viewing this thread