What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (2 Viewers)

'Put this team first': Champ Kelly in sync with the vision for the Raiders roster

Following Champ Kelly's stint as interim general manager for the Raiders, he's seemingly eased back into the role of assistant general manger without a hiccup.​

His mentality has revolved around taking Telesco and Antonio Piece's vision for the Raiders and bringing in the necessary pieces to fulfill that.​

"When we first got together, he laid out expectations for me and I was transparent with him about how I viewed the team and some of the needs and some of the places that I thought we needed to do to make this team better," Kelly said of working with Telesco. "I was able to check my ego and put this team first. It's not about me, it's really about Raider Nation, the alumni, to try to put our best product forward so that we can win football games for this city and Raider Nation."​

"I think it's a testament to the scouts because the quality of work they had done throughout the fall was so good that he could come in and really get a feel for them and also get a feel for how they viewed the players that were draft eligible," Kelly said.​

In the process of finding the best fits, the team drafted three national collegiate award winners in Brock Bowers, Jackson Powers-Johnson and Trey Taylor. Kelly also spoke highly of DJ Glaze and Dylan Laube, both players who Raiders brass got a chance to evaluate at the Senior Bowl.​

"I'm just extremely proud of the complete staff, how they work, how we've gelled together," he said. "Identifying a Raiders way, adapting and adjusting at that. Evaluating players and identifying players that are the right players for us. They might not be the right players for the other 31 teams, but they fit us. And our guys have done an excellent job of doing that and I'm proud to work with them and excited to keep working with them."​

I really like Champ. When we first hired him away from Chicago, I told people that this was huge and something most people would not have even on their radar. I am sure he would have been the final candidate other than Telesco for that GM role and Telesco likely got the nod just because of the experience under his belt.

Champ will be a GM somewhere, someday. If we see some more success as we seem to be on the trajectory for, it will be sooner than later and when it happens though we will be losing a great asset, I will be so very happy for him. If you spent any time listening or reading interviews with him, you can't help but be a fan.

'Put this team first': Champ Kelly in sync with the vision for the Raiders roster

Following Champ Kelly's stint as interim general manager for the Raiders, he's seemingly eased back into the role of assistant general manger without a hiccup.​

His mentality has revolved around taking Telesco and Antonio Piece's vision for the Raiders and bringing in the necessary pieces to fulfill that.​

"When we first got together, he laid out expectations for me and I was transparent with him about how I viewed the team and some of the needs and some of the places that I thought we needed to do to make this team better," Kelly said of working with Telesco. "I was able to check my ego and put this team first. It's not about me, it's really about Raider Nation, the alumni, to try to put our best product forward so that we can win football games for this city and Raider Nation."​

"I think it's a testament to the scouts because the quality of work they had done throughout the fall was so good that he could come in and really get a feel for them and also get a feel for how they viewed the players that were draft eligible," Kelly said.​

In the process of finding the best fits, the team drafted three national collegiate award winners in Brock Bowers, Jackson Powers-Johnson and Trey Taylor. Kelly also spoke highly of DJ Glaze and Dylan Laube, both players who Raiders brass got a chance to evaluate at the Senior Bowl.​

"I'm just extremely proud of the complete staff, how they work, how we've gelled together," he said. "Identifying a Raiders way, adapting and adjusting at that. Evaluating players and identifying players that are the right players for us. They might not be the right players for the other 31 teams, but they fit us. And our guys have done an excellent job of doing that and I'm proud to work with them and excited to keep working with them."​

I really like Champ. When we first hired him away from Chicago, I told people that this was huge and something most people would not have even on their radar. I am sure he would have been the final candidate other than Telesco for that GM role and Telesco likely got the nod just because of the experience under his belt.

Champ will be a GM somewhere, someday. If we see some more success as we seem to be on the trajectory for, it will be sooner than later and when it happens though we will be losing a great asset, I will be so very happy for him. If you spent any time listening or reading interviews with him, you can't help but be a fan.
HUGE fan , hes a class act and crazy smart. I hope he takes over for Telesco if things dont work out with him down the road.

HUGE fan , hes a class act and crazy smart. I hope he takes over for Telesco if things dont work out with him down the road.
Champ press conference here

Raiders asst. G.M. Champ Kelly on Terrion Arnold’s coin toss claim: Can’t confirm at all​

Cornerback Terrion Arnold was drafted by the Lions with the 24th overall pick, but he said recently that he was told he was close to becoming a Raider.
Arnold said that one of the team’s coaches told him that it was “a coin toss” between him and tight end Brock Bowers that wound up landing on Bowers with the No. 13 pick in the first round. Raiders General Manager Tom Telesco said after the draft that Bowers was “a consensus guy” and assistant G.M. Champ Kelly had a chance to address Arnold’s claim when he spoke to reporters on Wednesday.
“Yeah, I can’t confirm that at all,” Kelly said, via Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com. “Terrion is a good player. I’m excited to watch his career and watch him play. But we drafted Brock, and we’re excited to get him here. And I don’t think anyone else in our whole draft room felt any other way.”
Given all of the time spent scouting players and putting together draft boards, it seems unlikely that a team would literally or figuratively flip a coin while on the board with the 13th overall selection. It’s even less likely that they’d admit it if that were the case, especially when they wound up with a player who could make a huge impact on their offense for years to come.

Raiders asst. G.M. Champ Kelly on Terrion Arnold’s coin toss claim: Can’t confirm at all​

Cornerback Terrion Arnold was drafted by the Lions with the 24th overall pick, but he said recently that he was told he was close to becoming a Raider.
Arnold said that one of the team’s coaches told him that it was “a coin toss” between him and tight end Brock Bowers that wound up landing on Bowers with the No. 13 pick in the first round. Raiders General Manager Tom Telesco said after the draft that Bowers was “a consensus guy” and assistant G.M. Champ Kelly had a chance to address Arnold’s claim when he spoke to reporters on Wednesday.
“Yeah, I can’t confirm that at all,” Kelly said, via Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com. “Terrion is a good player. I’m excited to watch his career and watch him play. But we drafted Brock, and we’re excited to get him here. And I don’t think anyone else in our whole draft room felt any other way.”
Given all of the time spent scouting players and putting together draft boards, it seems unlikely that a team would literally or figuratively flip a coin while on the board with the 13th overall selection. It’s even less likely that they’d admit it if that were the case, especially when they wound up with a player who could make a huge impact on their offense for years to come.
That reads as a 'figurative' way to say that Arnold was right up there. I would have liked Champ to be a little more definitive in his response as "I can't confirm that" is also not a denial.

The whole thing is kind of confusing . I read its a PR move to help the community ?
Having lived in Las Vegas in July and August, I'm not even a little bit confused
As someone whos never been to Vegas , should i only visit in the winter months? I live in Florida , its pretty hot here as well during the summer.
If you are from Florida you should be fine. It will be hotter temp wise but with zero humidity. Plus, unless you are by a pool or golfing, you almost never spend much time outside in Vegas.

The whole thing is kind of confusing . I read its a PR move to help the community ?
Having lived in Las Vegas in July and August, I'm not even a little bit confused
As someone whos never been to Vegas , should i only visit in the winter months? I live in Florida , its pretty hot here as well during the summer.
I would avoid July and August.

But I prefer Vegas July and August to Orlando July and August, to put that in perspective

If you are from Florida you should be fine. It will be hotter temp wise but with zero humidity. Plus, unless you are by a pool or golfing, you almost never spend much time outside in Vegas.
BUT…unlike Florida, and the east coast in general, it does NOT stay warm at night. Especially in the dessert it can get chilly for sure. Not like the short sleeved, 70degree evenings back in NYC when I was a kid.

BUT…unlike Florida, and the east coast in general, it does NOT stay warm at night. Especially in the dessert it can get chilly for sure. Not like the short sleeved, 70degree evenings back in NYC when I was a kid.
Convertible at night in Vegas is a must, every time I go.

Convertible at night in Vegas is a must, every time I go.
(Tangent)

Never understood convertibles. So it’s hot out AND i want the sun to be beating down on me?

Maybe it’s just me.

:)

Vegas in mid July August and September is nasty. When i went to the opener for the stadium i was stoked to have vip seats and got to go in early. It was 103 at game time, Sunday night game, and felt like 115 in the parking lot. We had 2 beers in the parking lot and went in.

Vegas in mid July August and September is nasty. When i went to the opener for the stadium i was stoked to have vip seats and got to go in early. It was 103 at game time, Sunday night game, and felt like 115 in the parking lot. We had 2 beers in the parking lot and went in.

But October is glorious.

But October is glorious.
And if you coming from Florida, a dry 108 degrees is probably quite pleasant. :wink:

But October is glorious.
And if you coming from Florida, a dry 108 degrees is probably quite pleasant. :wink:
I’m quite spoiled being at the beach in SoCal. The weather is basically perfect.

I think if Champ could have gotten a job, he would have. Being the GM in waiting is the best way to get a job next year

But October is glorious.
I’m quite spoiled being at the beach in SoCal. The weather is basically perfect.

So off topic but I like sharing this. My pops was a meteorologist. Not the kind on tv doing weather. The kind working in top secret projects modifying the weather. On a desktop globe he put his finger in the middle of the Pacific once and explained a weather system created by the confluence of the north and south pacific. He traced intersecting lines from two points on the coast of Australia to Ensenada and Santa Barbara. He said, between these lines, that's the best weather on earth, ya know, scientifically. :)

But October is glorious.

So off topic but I like sharing this. My pops was a meteorologist. Not the kind on tv doing weather. The kind working in top secret projects modifying the weather. On a desktop globe he put his finger in the middle of the Pacific once and explained a weather system created by the confluence of the north and south pacific. He traced intersecting lines from two points on the coast of Australia to Ensenada and Santa Barbara. He said, between these lines, that's the best weather on earth, ya know, scientifically. :)
San Diego enters the chat.

Plus we have Tacos!

Raiders camp in Costa Mesa will be just down the road from me. I heard tickets will be very limited though.
I didn’t see that. It’s a middle class community (for SoCal). Real estate prices would make most people in the country puke. :shrug:
Deal points

As part of the agreement, the Raiders will:

— Pay $165,000 in rent to Costa Mesa;

— Pay $600,000 for field improvements, including some irrigation and flattening the field surface at the sports complex;

— Hold a team training camp for children ages 6 to 12;

— Give 100 tickets for local students to attend an NFL game in Southern California;

— Donate outdoor weight training equipment to Costa Mesa High School;

— Donate $10,000 to a local youth sports team.

The original agreement said camp would be open to the public, but that likely won’t be the case. The setup would be similar to practices at the Raiders’ facility in Henderson, where only season ticket holders, guests and sponsors were allowed to attend.

Raiders camp in Costa Mesa will be just down the road from me. I heard tickets will be very limited though.
I didn’t see that. It’s a middle class community (for SoCal). Real estate prices would make most people in the country puke. :shrug:
Deal points

— Pay $600,000 for field improvements, including some irrigation and flattening the field surface at the sports complex;

— Give 100 tickets for local students to attend an NFL game in Southern California;

The original agreement said camp would be open to the public, but that likely won’t be the case. The setup would be similar to practices at the Raiders’ facility in Henderson, where only season ticket holders, guests and sponsors were allowed to attend.
Seems like a pretty nice deal for Costa Mesa

Watched the presser earlier today. Champ is a champ. I see the Raiders getting a (comp) 3rd rounder for him in 2026.
After getting one in 2025 first, right?

Actually, good point... It would be two 3rd rounders, not one, but they would be in 2026 and 2027, if he leaves next offseason.

That is such a huge incentive to hire (and theoretically, at least, develop) the next up-and-comer minorities in the GM and coaching ranks.

Deal points

Seriously. Lincoln Kennedys cousin works out at my gym. He’s no zados cousin! But I’ll ask him to hook it up if the timing is right.

Deal points

Seriously. Lincoln Kennedys cousin works out at my gym. He’s no zados cousin! But I’ll ask him to hook it up if the timing is right.
Shoutout @Silver & Black

It would have been great TV, though.

It would have been great TV, though.
Kevin Costner could have been in the Raiders war room to do the coin toss , now THAT would be great theater :laugh:

Rachee Rice is under investigation for an assault. This adding to the car incident you have to believe a lengthy suspension is ahead for him. And how much more do the Chefs take before cutting him?

Also, I didn't know the below...

According to league sources, multiple teams had removed Rice from their draft boards after learning of an alleged incident he was involved in while a student at SMU. During the alleged incident, multiple bullets were fired into an empty car belonging to former SMU basketball player Kendric Davis during one of the school’s home games, according to league sources. Two teams gathered information that led them to conclude Rice believed Davis was involved with his girlfriend, according to league sources. The incident was never reported to SMU authorities.

Rachee Rice is under investigation for an assault. This adding to the car incident you have to believe a lengthy suspension is ahead for him. And how much more do the Chefs take before cutting him?

According to league sources, multiple teams had removed Rice from their draft boards after learning of an alleged incident he was involved in while a student at SMU. During the alleged incident, multiple bullets were fired into an empty car belonging to former SMU basketball player Kendric Davis during one of the school’s home games, according to league sources. Two teams gathered information that led them to conclude Rice believed Davis was involved with his girlfriend, according to league sources. The incident was never reported to SMU authorities.
I don't think Chiefs will be cutting him any time soon. They did release Hunt, but if there was no video I doubt they would have. They don't seem to have much of a problem with guys with off field issues. Tyreek, Frank Clark, etc.

And he's not even making real money yet.

Damon Arnette vibes.

Tommy Eichenberg

More interesting than your average 5th round LB.
Yep I commented a page or two ago, but this guy is nails. 2022 was a much better year for him, the DC really changed up the scheme to cover deficiencies but he's best when allowed to read/react/GO. Physically Tommy E might struggle in coverage but let's see how he uses his smarts and instincts to offset those limitations, plenty off so-so athletes at LB that just put themselves in the right spot all the time - and Tommy E should be one of them.

the league won’t suspend him unless he’s found guilty of something. The legal process must run its course and the league will cooperate fully until the investigation is complete. Bla bla bla. And the chiefs won’t cut him unless the press gets too bad. They may not re up his contract but there’s no reason to cut a guy for what amounts to a hit and run. The SMU stuff is conjecture. It might be true. But there’s no way he’s on the hook for it.

the league won’t suspend him unless he’s found guilty of something. The legal process must run its course and the league will cooperate fully until the investigation is complete. Bla bla bla. And the chiefs won’t cut him unless the press gets too bad. They may not re up his contract but there’s no reason to cut a guy for what amounts to a hit and run. The SMU stuff is conjecture. It might be true. But there’s no way he’s on the hook for it.
The bolded isn't at all true. He's definitely getting suspended. Chiefs' reaction depends on the ROI between how bad the press is and how many games RR might contribute in.

The bolded isn't at all true. He's definitely getting suspended. Chiefs' reaction depends on the ROI between how bad the press is and how many games RR might contribute in
Exhibit 1: Jalen Carter. The only caveat is that he wasn’t in the NFL at the time.

The bolded isn't at all true. He's definitely getting suspended. Chiefs' reaction depends on the ROI between how bad the press is and how many games RR might contribute in
Exhibit 1: Jalen Carter. The only caveat is that he wasn’t in the NFL at the time.
I don't think the NFL has ever suspended a player for something they did in college.

The nearest thing I can think of it Harbaugh who is making his return back to the NFL when he was to serve a suspension in the NCAA. The NFL made the right call in taking action so that the NFL wasn't the hit eject option for escaping punishment in the NCAA.

Correct, a player does not need to be found guilty by a court of law to be subjected to a suspension. The only requirement is that the player's conduct can be perceived as detrimental to the league.

Quick search:

What is conduct detrimental to the NFL league?

Conduct by anyone in the league that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the NFL.

Recent example: Deshaun Watson

I don't think the NFL has ever suspended a player for something they did in college.

The nearest thing I can think of it Harbaugh who is making his return back to the NFL when he was to serve a suspension in the NCAA. The NFL made the right call in taking action so that the NFL wasn't the hit eject option for escaping punishment in the NCAA.
Players can't be subject to the NFL code of conduct before they are in the NFL so nothing they do in college can be punished by the NFL.

What action did the NFL take with Harbaugh?

Players can't be subject to the NFL code of conduct before they are in the NFL so nothing they do in college can be punished by the NFL.

What action did the NFL take with Harbaugh?
I guess they haven't yet.

I thought I saw that they did but I am getting old and after a search only found articles expecting the NFL to do something.

Hence my caveat :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread