What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers Camp Battle (2 Viewers)

Gore BEGGED to play in yesterday's scrimmage despite the shoulder injury, but the staff turned him down.

Gore BEGGED to play in yesterday's scrimmage despite the shoulder injury, but the staff turned him down.
So he has heart. What he doesn't have is 2 healthy shoulders.COlin
Gore should already be used to playing second fiddle to superior backs. Give it up Gore. :no:

Willis McGahee was a top three talent with off the chart physical talent. He finished top 5 in Heisman voting in 2002 and was one of the most dominant players in college football.

Frank Gore is a marginal physical talent whose only real flashes of dominance came in garbage time four years ago.
Let's take a look...
2003 (SOPHOMORE): Rushed for 468 yards on 89 carries (5.3 avg.) and scored four touchdowns in only five games of action...suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first half of the 22-20 win over West Virginia....rushed for more than 100 yards in each of Miami's first three games, becoming the first UM back to do so...gained 118 yards on 21 carries in the season opener against Louisiana Tech, his first career start at tailback...rushed for 127 yards on 24 carries and scored two touchdowns in the 38-33 comeback win over Florida...scored the game-winning touchdown against the Gators on a 12-yard burst with 1:44 remaining...also caught a career-high seven passes for 54 yards against Florida...rushed 24 times for 134 yards and scored one touchdown in a 38-3 win over East Carolina, becoming the first player in Miami history to open a season with three consecutive 100-yard rushing performances... rushed for 74 yards on 16 carries and scored a touchdown in the 33-14 win at Boston College...rushed four times for 15 yards against West Virginia before leaving the game with a knee injury in the second quarter of Miami's 22-20 victory.

2002 (REDSHIRT): Spent the season recovering from knee surgery...returned to practice in October...was a standout on the UM scout team at tailback...was impressive in limited scrimmaging against the starting defense...showed drastic improvement as the season progressed...was awarded a medical redshirt by the NCAA.

2001 (FRESHMAN): Rushed for 562 yards on just 62 carries, averaging 9.1 yards per carry, the second-best per-carry average in Miami history...became the top reserve behind starter Clinton Portis as the season progressed...compiled the third-best rushing yardage total ever by a UM freshman, second-best ever by a true freshman... rushed for more than 100 yards in two games (West Virginia and Syracuse)...rushed for 15 yards on six carries in his Miami debut in the season opener at Penn State...averaged 13 yards per carry, rushing six times for 78 yards and one touchdown, against Rutgers...gained 18 yards on four attempts at Pittsburgh...rushed three times for 19 yards against Troy State...averaged 20.7 yards per attempt in the win over West Virginia, captivating a national television audience with 124 yards and two touchdowns on just six carries...averaged 7.8 yards per carry in the win over Temple as he rushed for 86 yards on 11 carries with one touchdown...averaged 13.9 yards per attempt against Syracuse, rushing 11 times for 153 yards, including a season-best 77-yard run (the longest Miami rushing play of the season)...gained 19 yards on just four carries in the win at Virginia Tech...rushed twice for three yards in Miami's 37-14 Rose Bowl victory over Nebraska.

HIGH SCHOOL: Coral Gables...one of the nation's most heavily recruited and highly regarded running backs...set a Dade County record for rushing yardage in a season in 2000 with 2,953 yards and 34 touchdowns in his senior season...rushed for 1,559 yards and 28 touchdowns in 1999, in addition to 301 receiving yards and four more TDs through the air...showed outstanding strength and peripheral vision throughout his high school career...the No. 3 prospect in Dade County by the Miami Herald, as well as No. 4 in Florida and No. 18 nationally...listed as the No. 1 tailback on the Florida Times-Union Super 75 list...rated the No. 6 player in Florida by the Gainesville Sun...an instinctive runner with exceptional power for a player of his size...Has been time at 4.5 in the 40...a SuperPrep All-American...rated the nation's No. 17 running back prospect by SuperPrep...rated the No. 7 prospect overall in Florida by SuperPrep...the top-rated running back in Florida by SuperPrep...named to the BorderWars.com All-South Second Team...also listed as the No. 19 overall player in the South by BorderWars.com...coached by Joe Montoya.
This post alone disproves a ton of the hate spewed on a regular basis regarding Gore.
:goodposting: But because he didn't get drafted as high, and with the fanfare of portis, mcgahee etc... he'll be regarded as someone who has a long shot at ever competing in the nfl at a high level
It might also have something to do with the fact that he's vastly inferior from a physical standpoint. Here are some nice numbers from NFL.com:Willis McGahee

4.24 in the 40-yard dash … 3.69 in the 20-yard shuttle … 41-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-11 broad jump …

Clinton Portis

4.42 in the 40-yard dash … 39-inch vertical jump …

Frank Gore

4.66 in the 40-yard dash … 4.13 20-yard shuttle … 11.33 60-yard shuttle … 6.95 three-cone drill … 32-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-1broad jump …
Since when does a 40 time translate to being a productive NFL running back?? There are plenty of extremely successful players in the league i.e. Terrell Davis, the G.O.A.T.. jerry rice, who had less than stellar combine's, or workouts, and they turned out great. A great running back is all about being smart and having vision, seeing the holes, following your blockers, being patient and waiting for plays to develop etc.. 40 time is an indication of speed, but i've seen many interviews with coordinators/HC's in the NFL with regard to 40 times, and the consensus is it's a small factor in evaluating a players abilities... Gore has many of the attributes it's takes from seeing him first hand... Although time away from football and recovery from injury are a concern.. we'll have to wait and see what happens
You make that comment and you're defending Gore?

Willis McGahee

4.24 in the 40-yard dash … 3.69 in the 20-yard shuttle … 41-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-11 broad jump …
Wow. Especially the 4.24--was that before the injury?
I would think so. My guess is that it's a time from Miami's 2002 Pro Day. Often times underclassmen will go through the drills in order to garner early interest from pro teams.

from PFW...Niners rookie RB Frank Gore already might be breathing down Kevan Barlow’s neck for playing time. Barlow ticked off Niners coaches when he took himself out of an early camp drill because he ­couldn’t take the heat. Gore, meanwhile, is in constant motion — when he’s not on the field, he’s doing push-ups on the sideline — and the offense has looked crisper when he’s been involved. He was, however, slowed down by a nagging neck injury at presstime. …

Frank Gore was a big time talent before incurring major knee injuries in back to back years. Anyone who disputes that is either dense or just being difficult. In 2001 he averaged 9 + yards per carry as a true freshman at Miami. Think about it: he earned the role of primary back up behind Clinton Portis and ahead of Willis McGahee while The U was at it's absolute apex as a program!!! Did some of his yards come against lesser opponents? Yes, BUT that's irrelevant when you consider the internal competition he overcame to even earn PT in what has to be one of the most (if not the most) talented RB stable in recent memory. Regardless, he also averaged 20.7 ypc against West Virginia with 124 yards and 2 TDs on 6 carries and 13.9 ypc against Syracuse, rushing 11 times for 153 yards, including a 77-yard run (Miami's longest of the season).

Unfortunately no matter how far removed from the injuries he will never be the player he was. The breakaway speed is not gonna come back and the ceiling for his ultimate potential has inevitably been lowered. (Although, sports medicine has come a long way so it's too early to right him off... Consider: Jamal Lewis became a premier back despite tearing knee ligaments on two separate occassions and McGahee had torn knee ligaments prior to the infamous Fiesta Bowl injury).

That being said durabilty questions are not even my primary concern with Frank Gore. I still think he has sufficient physical tools but I'm not convinced he possesses the requisite intelligence necessary to be an elite RB at the NFL level (he scored a 6 on the Wonderlic). He will no longer be able to rely on pure instincts and he wil not enjoy the same competitive advantage had in HS and early college. And beyond any personal limitations I just don't see SF offense being conducive to any RB's fantasy production this year.

EBF - Do you have a link to support the 4.24 4o time for McGahee? The following SI pre-draft scouting report has him listed at 4.55 and the NFL Draft Scout link lists the Top 20 40 times from the 1999-05 combines. Obviously he wouldn't have participated in '03 due to the injury but there is only one RB that even makes it (Jay Hinton, Morgan St. 1999) and the fastest time for all players during that period is 4.24 (Rondell Menendez, WR, Eastern Kentucky). Anyway, just curious more than anything as I would be shocked if McGahee is the fasted player to enter the league during that stretch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...ayers/1208.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratingscombin...LastN&order=ASC

Last edited by a moderator:
from PFW...

Niners rookie RB Frank Gore already might be breathing down Kevan Barlow’s neck for playing time. Barlow ticked off Niners coaches when he took himself out of an early camp drill because he ­couldn’t take the heat. Gore, meanwhile, is in constant motion — when he’s not on the field, he’s doing push-ups on the sideline — and the offense has looked crisper when he’s been involved. He was, however, slowed down by a nagging neck injury at presstime. …
I often take PFW's reports with a grain of salt, but I think Barlow remains at or near the top of the list of starting RBs most likely to lose their job at some point this season (excluding injuries).

Unfortunitly if Gore can gain a role in the 49ers offense it might lead to more of RBBC situation than either one emerging as the starter.Personaly I don't really think he will perform well enough for the situation to devolve into this but Barlow was a platoon Rb in college as well.Really it is just up to Barlow. If he struggles again then he could split with Hicks just as easily as Gore.But for those who are seeing Gore as becoming a 200+ carry/season Rb I just dont see where you get the confidence in him to expect that.Maybe it was the dynasty pick you used on him that compells you to this conclushion.I call it reaching.

There are virtually no similarities between he and Frank Gore.
Except that he was largely said to be overhyped by the majority on these boards when he was drafted. Most here said he would stink, marginal talent, garbage time stats, inferior competition.Same things being said about Gore, except add to it that Gore was injured severely.

Had Gore not been injured, I tihnk the story woul dbe differnet, personally.

At the very least, drafting Gore was a sign the 9ers are not happy with Barlow.

But for those who are seeing Gore as becoming a 200+ carry/season Rb I just dont see where you get the confidence in him to expect that.

Maybe it was the dynasty pick you used on him that compells you to this conclushion.

I call it reaching.
I think it's more a lack of confidence in Barlow than a vote of confidence for Gore.

I am not sure that a "6" is a valid score on the Wonderlic. I think that would be more than 3 standard deviations below the mean from normative sample and more than 4 below that of college students.It would likely attract all sorts of stigmatizing labels involving mental deficiencies....

Except that he was largely said to be overhyped by the majority on these boards when he was drafted. Most here said he would stink, marginal talent, garbage time stats, inferior competition.Same things being said about Gore, except add to it that Gore was injured severely.

Drafting Ronnie Brown #1 would mean that the 49ers were not happy with Barlow, spending a 3rd rd pick on Gore means the 49ers wanted some more depth at rb.

from PFW...

Niners rookie RB Frank Gore already might be breathing down Kevan Barlow’s neck for playing time. Barlow ticked off Niners coaches when he took himself out of an early camp drill because he ­couldn’t take the heat. Gore, meanwhile, is in constant motion — when he’s not on the field, he’s doing push-ups on the sideline — and the offense has looked crisper when he’s been involved. He was, however, slowed down by a nagging neck injury at presstime. …
This is an old report.

Drafting Ronnie Brown #1 would mean that the 49ers were not happy with Barlow, spending a 3rd rd pick on Gore means the 49ers wanted some more depth at rb.
remember that this was the first pick of 3rd, and that there was still plenty of decent RBs for depth on the board at that point - i think its clear that the niners were specifically seeking gore, rather than generic "RB depth"

remember that this was the first pick of 3rd, and that there was still plenty of decent RBs for depth on the board at that point - i think its clear that the niners were specifically seeking gore, rather than generic "RB depth"
Obviously the 49ers liked Gore or they wouldn't have drafted him, but my point to Switz was that if the 49ers were so unhappy with Barlow as their starting rb then they would have taken Brown or got a rb in the 2nd rd instead of waiting to get Gore who has yet to totally overcome the injuries he has suffered over the last couple of yrs.

08/16/05 12:11 PMTHE NEWSRookie running back Frank Gore was back on the practice field on Monday, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The 49ers' third-round draft pick had been sidelined for a week after suffering a right shoulder injury during practice. Gore might make his preseason debut when the Niners face the Broncos on Saturday.

Obviously the 49ers liked Gore or they wouldn't have drafted him, but my point to Switz was that if the 49ers were so unhappy with Barlow as their starting rb then they would have taken Brown or got a rb in the 2nd rd instead of waiting to get Gore who has yet to totally overcome the injuries he has suffered over the last couple of yrs.
The difference here is that Gore had an injury which pushed him down the draft chart for teams. While we don't know what was going on in the war room on draft day, there is quite a possibility that the 9ers tagetted Gore right from the beginning, knowing he would fall.Additionally, no one denies that there were FAR MORE pressing needs for the 9ers, including that you NEVER pass up the option to draft a franchise QB, hence eliminating Caddy, Benson, and Brown from possible RB picks for the 9ers.

In my opinion, the 9ers did this draft what SD did a few years ago, except in the opposite order. While SD thought Brees could be a franchise QB, they knew he would fall, so they traded down to take LT, and figured they could form their future foundation with LT and Brees. Which in retrospect seems like a good decision.

The 9ers knew this year there were no "franchise" type QBs that could fall, but they MAY HAVE considered Gore a franchise type back that would fall, hence took Smith, and Gore later.

Now this is all supposition, but AT THE VERY LEAST, there is logic to it. There is no way they rank needing an RB above needing a QB, but no one can really deny that both were needs.

We also have to consider the McGahee factor. With Willis' season last year, I'm certain that teams felt Gore could recover at a higher level than they would have had McGahee stunk up the joint.

In fact, had Gore gotten injured toward the end of his collegiate career, no doubt he would have been drafted even higher.

Add to that, many teams draft their "future" starters at RB in later rounds, intentionally! Look at Portis, Bell, CMart, JAnderson, JJones, ... there is even talk in the Bills organization of Lionel Gates (7th round) being groomed as the starter for when McGahee is too expensive to resign.

Plus, Barlow is not the current 9er staff's guy... Gore is...

At the very least, drafting Gore was a sign the 9ers are not happy with Barlow
San Diego took a RB in the 4th round. Should LT2 be looking over his shoulder?
LT2=Barlow? NOT in talent, not in the same situation. Barlow's problem is in his head. If he can straight it out, he will succeed with the 49ers. If not, well, I think the big paydays will be ending soon.

LT2=Barlow? NOT in talent, not in the same situation.
I know. Its just important to push of Switz' blood pressure every so often :D No question the 9ers are questioning Barlow, as well they should be after last year. Gore could be the best thing to happen to Barlow, he seems to be a real fiery guy who is itchin to play. Maybe it will light a fire.

LT2=Barlow? NOT in talent, not in the same situation. Barlow's problem is in his head. If he can straight it out, he will succeed with the 49ers. If not, well, I think the big paydays will be ending soon.
Barlow's problem is his lack of heart and desire to be great, but he has alot more talent than Gore.

Barlow's problem is his lack of heart and desire to be great, but he has alot more talent than Gore.
I keep hearing this. Why?I definitely understand Gore's injury being a concern, but it's not like Barlow was EVER viewed as a GREAT college RB... Gore was. He's been damaged, but still has more natural talent. IMO.

I don't think either will do much of anything this year, but I do think Gore is the 9ers RB of the future

Money can be a powerful motivator.

I keep hearing this. Why?I definitely understand Gore's injury being a concern, but it's not like Barlow was EVER viewed as a GREAT college RB... Gore was. He's been damaged, but still has more natural talent. IMO.

I don't think either will do much of anything this year, but I do think Gore is the 9ers RB of the future
First off being a great college rb is not a measure of how well a rb will do in the NFL. Second, Frank Gore was never a great college rb, sure he had a few good games very early in his career before some major knee injuries but that is ancient history and he still has not fully recovered. All you need to do is look at Gore's combine numbers and compare them to the other rbs and you'll realize that Gore is not that good. Posters here that really like Gore always point to what Gore could of been had he not suffered some major injuries, but guess what he did get injured and he hasn't proved that he has recovered from them. Barlow has already run for over 1000 yds with only 4 starts in a season. Barlow is the proven back and Gore is nothing more than rb depth.

I think I would like to see more of Gore before making a judgement that he is nothing more then a backup.. He is a rookie.. let see what the kid learns. At very least we will see how Barlow reacts in the face of possibly losing his job. I don't have either but admit Gore is an interesting flyer pick with big time upside. Will follow this one more closely.

Good Posts!

mcgahee never ran 4.24 - he's not deion

Barlow is not a proven back (if you run for a 1000 yards) (5 yards a carry) while teams are gameplanning for Garrison Heast and absolutely suck and ##### about it the following year because you can't crack a 1000 yards, become benched in favor of Maurice Hicks and your yards per carry decrease to 3 something.

In fact, without the injuries, Gore might have ended up the best of Miami’s recent halfbacks and a clear-cut franchise back in the NFL.

As a freshman on Miami’s 2001 national-championship team, he averaged an astounding 9.1 yards a carry while backing up Portis in Miami’s two-back rotation. As a sophomore, he was set to share time with and perhaps start ahead of McGahee before blowing out his right knee.

Miami's rb coach argued that Gore is better or atleast on par with Edge, Portis and Mcgahee.

Mcgahee and Portis both left early knowing they faced stiff competition from Gore if they returned. However, Portis and Mcgahee were pretty sure they would be first round picks; portis had to settle for 2nd round.

Mcgahee proved he could overcome a disasterous injury and return to elite form.

Gore has not proven he could do it (eventhough the Hurricanes kind of blew last year and Gore had little help on offense.)

Portis proved (in Denver which is questionable) that he can be an elite back in the nfl

Barlow is a total dog that should have never been given 20 million

I hope Gore can return to an elite level someday; he was one of the most talented rb's ever to be recruited out of highschool.

Gore will play this year at some point but Barlow will be the better fantasy back

I definitely understand Gore's injury being a concern, but it's not like Barlow was EVER viewed as a GREAT college RB... Gore was. He's been damaged, but still has more natural talent. IMO.

First off being a great college rb is not a measure of how well a rb will do in the NFL.
I agree, Ron Dayne is a good example of that... but talent comparisons CAN be based on college perfromance. Its not like we have any Gore-at-the-NFL-level to compare to Barlow-at-the-NFL-level. Regardless, Gore was more heavily recruited out of HS, and was viewed as a more talented back at the college level.
Second, Frank Gore was never a great college rb, sure he had a few good games very early in his career before some major knee injuries but that is ancient history and he still has not fully recovered.
So his pre-injury career cannot be used as evidence of talent? Give me a break! The reason he had those good games, and beat out other extremely talented RBs is because he is incredibly talented himself.
All you need to do is look at Gore's combine numbers and compare them to the other rbs and you'll realize that Gore is not that good.
Sure, you go knock out every other RBs knees, and then run a combine while they are all recovering and we'll compare apples to apples. You know that Gore's combine numbers are not a fair judgement.
Posters here that really like Gore always point to what Gore could of been had he not suffered some major injuries, but guess what he did get injured and he hasn't proved that he has recovered from them.
You are right, he hasn't proven himself recovered. Yet he is now in his second year, which is when players start to perform closer to their previous level. So now is when he'll start to show it, and apparently in the 9ers camp he has shown it, otherwise there'd be no talk in camp about him beating out Barlow. So why is it wrong for FFers to think that a fully recovered Gore would be viable roster material?
Barlow has already run for over 1000 yds with only 4 starts in a season.
If that's not the most twisted way to use statistics I've ever seen posted on these boards. Yeah, he has, and the only reason he was able to perfrom at that high level is because he was splitting time. He doens't hold up under alot of carries. He wears down as the game goes on. And the only season where he was the primary ball carrier he stunk!
Barlow is the proven back and Gore is nothing more than rb depth.
By proven you must mean we know what he can do at the NFL level. Yes we do, and it doesn't impress most on these boards, and obviously not SF either.We don't know what Gore can do, and it's a mixed bag at best right now. But for those willing to take the risk, he has a bigger bang chance than Barlow.

I don't think Gore will start the season as the #1 RB, I tihnk he is good for dynasty purposes only if you can hang onto him til next year when Barlow is gone. I do think both wil lsee the field this year, and that Gore has a better chance of ENDING the season as starter than Barlow.

This is the 5th year now of talk about Barlow becoming the man in San Franscisco. He finally got his chance last year and was pathetic at best. If Gore plays this weekend, shows any kind of flash, and remainst healthy through the rest of of camp, Barlow will be seeing 40% of the running plays in the regular season at best. The only reason Barlow got to start last season is because he 49ers had no legitimate option to go to, and they knew the season was a waist anyway. If Gore doesn't replace Barlow this year, somebody else will next year.

This is the 5th year now of talk about Barlow becoming the man in San Franscisco. He finally got his chance last year and was pathetic at best.

If Gore plays this weekend, shows any kind of flash, and remainst healthy through the rest of of camp, Barlow will be seeing 40% of the running plays in the regular season at best. The only reason Barlow got to start last season is because he 49ers had no legitimate option to go to, and they knew the season was a waist anyway.

If Gore doesn't replace Barlow this year, somebody else will next year.
:goodposting: That's why following Gore in the preseason is key to how much they want to lean on him when Barlow pisses of the coaching staff.

I think I would like to see more of Gore before making a judgement that he is nothing more then a backup.. He is a rookie.. let see what the kid learns. At very least we will see how Barlow reacts in the face of possibly losing his job. I don't have either but admit Gore is an interesting flyer pick with big time upside. Will follow this one more closely.
:goodposting: I'm amazed how people seem to think they have to take sides. Gore is an unknown quantity and Barlow was extremely underwhelming as a starter last year. As a FFBer, how could you not be intrigued by Gore's potential?

This story is based on ancient (relatively) information. Since this was printed Gore has hurt his shoulder and Barlow has practiced regularly.

I also laugh at quotes about "If Gore doesn't replace Barlow this year, somebody will next year" and "this is the 5th year of people talking about Barlow becoming 'the man'."

Um...can you show me some chatter from 2001 about Barlow being the man? 2002/2003 maybe whispers....2004 the entire team was in the toilet with injuries to Rattay, Dorsey looking like a fish out of water, the O-line doing their best swiss cheese impression, a coach on the way out, and injuires in the early part of the year to members of the D.

While Barlow was totally disappointing last year, he wasn't alone in that category and frankly the entire team was too.

Example of an average or disappointing back on a good team = Antowain Smith winning the Superbowl with New England.

Example of an average (or better....or worse? we don't know) running back on a poor team = Barlow last year.

Lets see what happens this year with an improved O-line, if Rattay can stay healthy or Smith develops into the starter....then I'm ready to give up on Barlow if he continues to have a 3.5 yards per carry average.

Announcing he's a lame duck when the team was such a mess last year is a joke.

Oh...and on the other side of that coin, proclaiming that Gore is not talented at all or just mediocre is also totally out of place....we haven't seen the freakin' guy play yet!

from PFW...

This is the 5th year now of talk about Barlow becoming the man in San Franscisco. He finally got his chance last year and was pathetic at best.

If Gore plays this weekend, shows any kind of flash, and remainst healthy through the rest of of camp, Barlow will be seeing 40% of the running plays in the regular season at best. The only reason Barlow got to start last season is because he 49ers had no legitimate option to go to, and they knew the season was a waist anyway.

Barlow was a FA last yr and the 49ers resigned him, if they thought the season was a waste they would have saved their money. Barlow has had 1 bad season and the entire team was killed with injuries. Barlow will be the main ball carrier this season for better or for worse for the 49ers this season. Switz bashes Barlow's durability, but yet Gore cannot even stay healthy long enough so far to even practice. And the 49ers are not gonna risk their new million dollar qb by playing a rookie rb who has missed alot of time in camp. Gore is a mediocre talent at best, who just because he went to the U. he is getting love on these boards.

If Gore plays this weekend, shows any kind of flash, and remainst healthy through the rest of of camp, Barlow will be seeing 40% of the running plays in the regular season at best.  The only reason Barlow got to start last season is because he 49ers had no legitimate option to go to, and they knew the season was a waist anyway.

Barlow was a FA last yr and the 49ers resigned him, if they thought the season was a waste they would have saved their money. Barlow has had 1 bad season and the entire team was killed with injuries. Barlow will be the main ball carrier this season for better or for worse for the 49ers this season. Switz bashes Barlow's durability, but yet Gore cannot even stay healthy long enough so far to even practice. And the 49ers are not gonna risk their new million dollar qb by playing a rookie rb who has missed alot of time in camp. Gore is a mediocre talent at best, who just because he went to the U. he is getting love on these boards.
Wonder if this guy is a Barlow owner? :D

[

Wonder if this guy is a Barlow owner?
default_biggrin.png'
You think?? :P Amazing how you can easily pick out the pimps. :D

This coming from a guy who was pimping Duece over Alexander last yr.

If Gore plays this weekend, shows any kind of flash, and remainst healthy through the rest of of camp, Barlow will be seeing 40% of the running plays in the regular season at best.  The only reason Barlow got to start last season is because he 49ers had no legitimate option to go to, and they knew the season was a waist anyway.

This coming from a guy who was pimping Duece over Alexander last yr.
Is that the best comeback you have, that someone was promoting Deuce over SA last year? That's pretty weak. :thumbdown:

In fact, without the injuries, Gore might have ended up the best of Miami’s recent halfbacks and a clear-cut franchise back in the NFL.

As a freshman on Miami’s 2001 national-championship team, he averaged an astounding 9.1 yards a carry while backing up Portis in Miami’s two-back rotation. As a sophomore, he was set to share time with and perhaps start ahead of McGahee before blowing out his right knee.

Miami's rb coach argued that Gore is better or atleast on par with Edge, Portis and Mcgahee.
And this has what to do with the NOW? Since 2001 (4 years ago!) Gore has blown out his knee twice. Those clinging to the whole Gore over McGahee and Portis concept need to realize that this hype was prior to two catastrophic knee injuries. Assuming this guy will be a success in the NFL because at one point, 4 years ago and on two healthy knees, he was possibly regarded as highly as two currently succesful NFL backs is just naive thinking.

And this has what to do with the NOW? Since 2001 (4 years ago!) Gore has blown out his knee twice. Those clinging to the whole Gore over McGahee and Portis concept need to realize that this hype was prior to two catastrophic knee injuries. Assuming this guy will be a success in the NFL because at one point, 4 years ago and on two healthy knees, he was possibly regarded as highly as two currently succesful NFL backs is just naive thinking.
I don't see it that way. To me it's more like Gore was a supremely talented player -- if he can get back to that level, he could certainly enjoy success in the NFL. Obviously it's not a certain thing, and probably not even likely that he'll be a franchise back, but why would you automatically count him out? At the very least, the situation bears watching.

from PFW...

This is an old report.
Posted by them on August 13th. What does your source say?

I think Barlow will put up similar numbers to last year, maybe a bit more yardage. SF's O line is a joke and a rookie QB doesn't help matters. The Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals D's will feast on them. They will be behind A LOT and there may be some prevent yardage to be had between the 20's for the starting back.If there's any real value in the SF backfield, it's probably Maurice Hicks, who can be picked up long after Barlow and Gore are gone. Frankly, if you're relying on any of them to emerge as a back you can start with confidence, you're dreaming.

I had been DRIVING the Kevan Barlow bandwagon for the last 4 years. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 4 times, I should probably give up fantasy football for good. But I'm somehow back, and for some reason win money in my leagues.I didn't have time to sift through 5 pages of this argument - but I made it through about 2 of them.I don't feel that this is necessarily an argument is about Frank Gore and what he used to be, could possibly be, or ever will be. All I know if that despite his Wonderlic score, his injury history, and anything else, he's GOT to be better than Maurice Hicks. And Maurice Hicks stole significant time from this dog. Not to mention the ghost of Garrison Hearst, who was probably 3-5 years past his prime and still taking most of the carries there.I DO remember them hyping Gore way back when, but as many of you correctly pointed out, that was 4 years ago at least. However, in a present day configuration, the 49ers felt good enough about him to make him the 1st pick of the 3rd round. And he's the type of case (injury history, didn't play at 100% health in the year before entering draft) that makes for an interesting sleeper. Not 100% hit rate, but at least he potentially had an excuse. And the reason he declared early had more to do with his family's financial situation than anything - ESPN did a piece on this a few months ago.Back to the Barlow Kool-Aid - from someone who had been waiting 4 years for him to break out, hearing positive reports on his attitude is nothing new for this time of year. For 3 years, I thought Hearst was the reason he wasn't the MAN. Classy vet who knows his assignments, stability. But then last year came along, and Hearst barely made the Broncos. Barlow had the job all to himself. So when he fell to me at 2.09, I jumped. I am not proud to say that I drafted him 4 years in a row in one league or the other, and more importantly, that switz was right. But I was finally done when undrafted free agent Hicks got substantial time over him last year.While Gore might not be the answer in San Francisco, I'm willing to bet Barlow isn't either. And I'd rather take a shot on Gore in the 9th thru 12th, than Barlow in the 5th - that's for sure.

from PFW...

This is an old report.
Posted by them on August 13th. What does your source say?
My sources say that this is old news and how can Gore be breathing down Barlow's neck when the rookie has been out with yet another injury?

Users who are viewing this thread