What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers Camp Battle (1 Viewer)

chedha

Footballguy
Anyone have any info on the camp battle between Frank Gore and Kevin Barlow. Last I've heard is Gore is outshining Barlow, impressing nolan bursting through the hole and making good cuts. While Barlow is missing practices because it's "too hot"...

I will simply add this.Gore is now almost 2 full years removed from his 2nd ACL tear. He must be getting faster not slower. I admit his Junior year at Miami was nothing special but when he was a Freshman he was pushing Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.I still think Barlow can mak an impact, however he seems to lack dedicatipon. Gore wants to make sure the team keeps him and I see him doing well this season if he gets the opp.

last update from SFI said barlow is "gaining momentum after a slow start" and that gore is putting his injuries farther and farther behind him.

last update from SFI said barlow is "gaining momentum after a slow start" and that gore is putting his injuries farther and farther behind him.
Sounds like Mr. Gore has caught Barlow's attention. Good to hear, I'd like to see both of these guys competing for that job as it should bring out the best on both of them. :thumbup:

but when he was a Freshman he was pushing Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.
4 years and two major knee surgeries later and that doesn't mean squat anymore...

but when he was a Freshman he was pushing  Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.
4 years and two major knee surgeries later and that doesn't mean squat anymore...
Maybe, but you'd be foolish to simply ignore his talent prior to his injuries.

but when he was a Freshman he was pushing  Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.
So Gore and not the millions upon millions of dollars pushed Portis and McGahee to the pros?

Portis went pro b/c of McGahee. McGahee went Pro because he was (preinjury) going no worse then 3rd to the Texans and (post injury) couldn't risk getting hurt again and missing out of the money.2001 is a long time ago, Gore fans.Colin

but when he was a Freshman he was pushing Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.
So Gore and not the millions upon millions of dollars pushed Portis and McGahee to the pros?
Portis did not make Millions upon Millions of $$$ as a 2nd round draft choice to the Broncos... and yes, had he stuck around and been the starter in Mia for a 2nd year, he most likely would have vaulted himslef into the 1st round and thus Millions and Millions of $$$ in his rookie contract.

Portis went pro b/c of McGahee. McGahee went Pro because he was (preinjury) going no worse then 3rd to the Texans and (post injury) couldn't risk getting hurt again and missing out of the money.

2001 is a long time ago, Gore fans.

Colin
That's definitely true, but we all have to agree that U of M has produced some of the greatest backs in the game over the years i.e. mcgahee, portis, edge. The fact that he was accepted and a part of the program down here, means he's worth paying attention to in that battle with barlow.

Portis went pro b/c of McGahee. McGahee went Pro because he was (preinjury) going no worse then 3rd to the Texans and (post injury) couldn't risk getting hurt again and missing out of the money.

Colin
That's definitely true, but we all have to agree that U of M has produced some of the greatest backs in the game over the years i.e. mcgahee, portis, edge. The fact that he was accepted and a part of the program down here, means he's worth paying attention to in that battle with barlow.
Jarrett Payton, James Jackson...some real doozies. Worht watching? Yes. Annointing as the next great U of M RB, not to me.COlin

I will simply add this.

Gore is now almost 2 full years removed from his 2nd ACL tear. He must be getting faster not slower. I admit his Junior year at Miami was nothing special but when he was a Freshman he was pushing Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.

I still think Barlow can mak an impact, however he seems to lack dedicatipon. Gore wants to make sure the team keeps him and I see him doing well this season if he gets the opp.
This Frank Gore is superman b.s. all started back when Miami was 32-0 in the Big East and laid a smack down on a sorry Nebraska team. At the time all Miami players were considered "semi-pro" and the whole world believed the hype. The subsequent ##### slap Ohio State laid on them and the fact that they are no longer in the Big Easy have proven that Miami players are not NEARLY as good as all thought when scoring 48 unanswered 4th quarter points against Temple every week.This is nothing more than a Miami fairy tale. Frank Gore has never done anything but be a good RB. I'm sure he is talented, I'm sure he will play in the NFL but this crap about how he was better the Edge, Portis and McGahee all rolled into one was one big Miami circle jerk in the midst of their 30+ straight wins against the worst teams in America.

I will simply add this.

Gore is now almost 2 full years removed from his 2nd ACL tear. He must be getting faster not slower. I admit his Junior year at Miami was nothing special but when he was a Freshman he was pushing Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.

I still think Barlow can mak an impact, however he seems to lack dedicatipon. Gore wants to make sure the team keeps him and I see him doing well this season if he gets the opp.
This Frank Gore is superman b.s. all started back when Miami was 32-0 in the Big East and laid a smack down on a sorry Nebraska team. At the time all Miami players were considered "semi-pro" and the whole world believed the hype. The subsequent ##### slap Ohio State laid on them and the fact that they are no longer in the Big Easy have proven that Miami players are not NEARLY as good as all thought when scoring 48 unanswered 4th quarter points against Temple every week.This is nothing more than a Miami fairy tale. Frank Gore has never done anything but be a good RB. I'm sure he is talented, I'm sure he will play in the NFL but this crap about how he was better the Edge, Portis and McGahee all rolled into one was one big Miami circle jerk in the midst of their 30+ straight wins against the worst teams in America.
:lmao: A little bias/sour? Please list for me all of the NFL players form The U then tell me they are nothing more than a "fairy tail."I've still yet to see a game decided so badly by officiating than that OSU?UM Nat Title game..... :lmao: at the ##### slap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin
Jarrett Payton, James Jackson...some real doozies. Worht watching? Yes. Annointing as the next great U of M RB, not to me.COlin
Agreed, but we really haven't seen enough of him though to make a definitive answer on that one, even in his college career becasue of the devastating injury. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I will simply add this.

Gore is now almost 2 full years removed from his 2nd ACL tear. He must be getting faster not slower.  I admit his Junior year at Miami was nothing special but when he was a Freshman he was pushing  Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.

This Frank Gore is superman b.s. all started back when Miami was 32-0 in the Big East and laid a smack down on a sorry Nebraska team. At the time all Miami players were considered "semi-pro" and the whole world believed the hype. The subsequent ##### slap Ohio State laid on them and the fact that they are no longer in the Big Easy have proven that Miami players are not NEARLY as good as all thought when scoring 48 unanswered 4th quarter points against Temple every week.I am not even going to get into this with you becuase you are absoletly ignorant.

This is nothing more than a Miami fairy tale. Frank Gore has never done anything but be a good RB. I'm sure he is talented, I'm sure he will play in the NFL but this crap about how he was better the Edge, Portis and McGahee all rolled into one was one big Miami circle jerk in the midst of their 30+ straight wins against the worst teams in America.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.
Frank Gore sits on the bench for two years. Starts one game in his thrid season and plays to his skill level, average. He's out of the league by his 4th year and sitting poolside with James Jackson. Edit to add: wondering how long the cash they made in the NFL will last them.

THE END

Frank Gore sits on the bench for two years. Starts one game in his thrid season and plays to his skill level, average. He's out of the league by his 4th year and sitting poolside with James Jackson. Edit to add: wondering how long the cash they made in the NFL will last them.

THE END
What are you basing that on? Kevin Barlow's overwhelming 3.4 yds/carry last year. What it is 822 yds on the ground? His determination and drive? sitting out cuz it's too hot? Gore has a legitamate shot at a featured role in that backfield, and the early info on his camp performances look good.

sitting out cuz it's too hot?
I wish Kory Stringer had sat out because it was "too hot" as you seem to be making fun of.Kevan Barlow became dehydrated the first day of camp, not uncommon when you are taking the majority of the first and second team snaps as he was that day. You obviously have never suffered through dehydration or played sports. There are times when you think you are well-hydrated then when dehydration sets in it hits you like a ton of bricks. Anyhow, Barlow left practice early that day and ever since has been impressing the coaches. I know that's hard for you Gore lover's to deal with.

I wish Kory Stringer had sat out because it was "too hot" as you seem to be making fun of.Kevan Barlow became dehydrated the first day of camp, not uncommon when you are taking the majority of the first and second team snaps as he was that day. You obviously have never suffered through dehydration or played sports. There are times when you think you are well-hydrated then when dehydration sets in it hits you like a ton of bricks. Anyhow, Barlow left practice early that day and ever since has been impressing the coaches. I know that's hard for you Gore lover's to deal with.
Not even close to the same thing.... Stringer -----> Barlow. :thumbdown:

Colin
i agree 2001 was a long time ago... but to clarify... portis went pro b/c of gore... mcgahee got his chance to shine b/c of gore's injury... before mcgahee took over the reigns, he was listed as UM's fullback

What are you basing that on? Kevin Barlow's overwhelming 3.4 yds/carry last year. What it is 822 yds on the ground? His determination and drive? sitting out cuz it's too hot?

Gore has a legitamate shot at a featured role in that backfield, and the early info on his camp performances look good.
How about Barlow's 5.1 YPC in 2003, or his 4.7 in 2002, or his 4.1 in 2001, or his career 4.2 YPC, which includes last year? Do you realize how many players are looking good in their early camp performances? Plenty of backup players are looking great right now.

Gore may have a shot at winning the starting job, but it's far from a sure thing, and Barlow has proven a lot more to this point than Gore.

If you are drafting right now, Barlow presents solid value, and you can still land Gore even later.

Not even close to the same thing.... Stringer -----> Barlow. :thumbdown:
Definitely different situations, but still, it's a weak argument picking on Barlow cause he was a little dehydrated.

THE END
let's not get carried away with the bashing... i agree gore no longer has the ability to be a team's #1, 25 carries/game RB, but i think he'll develop into a very good backup and servicable fill-in starter... just like your boy james jackson who's currently on arizona's roster

What are you basing that on? Kevin Barlow's overwhelming 3.4 yds/carry last year. What it is 822 yds on the ground? His determination and drive? sitting out cuz it's too hot?

Gore has a legitamate shot at a featured role in that backfield, and the early info on his camp performances look good.
How about Barlow's 5.1 YPC in 2003, or his 4.7 in 2002, or his 4.1 in 2001, or his career 4.2 YPC, which includes last year? Do you realize how many players are looking good in their early camp performances? Plenty of backup players are looking great right now.

Gore may have a shot at winning the starting job, but it's far from a sure thing, and Barlow has proven a lot more to this point than Gore.

If you are drafting right now, Barlow presents solid value, and you can still land Gore even later.
So, how much will it take untill all of the Barlow supporters can finally accept the fact that Gore is a RB who is not just looking good, but a very talented one who is still regaining his health? Gore looking good should not fall under the same catagory of camp banter as other players IMO. This guy has a legit injury from which he needs to recover from and how that recovery goes could make or break his NFL prospects, not just to start/unseat Barlow, but how the rest of his career shakes out as well. His recovery should be of the utmost importance to his owners, not just for this year, but for future years as well.

Ok, so where's the link? I've heard nothing at all regarding Barlow "impressing the coaches". Everything I've read is the opposite. As far as him sitting out, he was suffering from "heat frustration", which is not the same as being dehydrated. Looks to me like Barlow is not off to a very good start at all this year, which is an indication Gore will get his shot. The question is will he be back to football form after so much time off.

That's why I said it's just worth paying attention to, I never suggested spending a high pick on either guy. I quoted last years numbers, because it was the first time he was the featured back for a full 16 games in his career. 2003 was the other

Ok, so where's the link?

As far as him sitting out, he was suffering from "heat frustration", which is not the same as being dehydrated.
1. Listen to sports radio. There is life outside of your cubicle.2. Please define "heat frustration" for us. Since you know more than coach Nolan.

Coach Nolan reported on radio Barlow was dehydrated, but enlighten us with your wisdom.

Ok, so where's the link?

As far as him sitting out, he was suffering from "heat frustration", which is not the same as being dehydrated.
1. Listen to sports radio. There is life outside of your cubicle.2. Please define "heat frustration" for us. Since you know more than coach Nolan.

Coach Nolan reported on radio Barlow was dehydrated, but enlighten us with your wisdom.
So if he was dehydrated that's fine, I didn't hear the actual interview, i have sirius nfl radio, but of course i can't listen round the clock. The bottom line is, and all i was suggesting is that Barlow has stiff competition this year. Whether that motivates him to put up over decent numbers remains to be seen. But I do think that Gore is being overlooked because of the injury, and as someone who's attended UM and has seen him play, he is very talented. Whether or not he can overcome the injury/time off, is up in the air right now.

and as someone who's attended UM and has seen him play, he is very talented.
I've seen him play too, from my couch, and I gurantee you I had a better view. He looked average.
So basically your saying you have only seen him play at half speed, while trying to recover from 2 knee operations, 20 lbs heavery than normal, and with very little of his natural explosion/speed/elusivness. All things RUMORED to be coming back to him since leaving UM. The guy is worth keeping an eye on and that is all anyone is trying to say.

Colin
That's Bushleague Colin. Payton was never ever the starter till Gore went down...perennial backup...James Jackson was not even a Butch Davis recruit me thinks. He also was there when many other great RB were there. Edge...than Portis...than McGahee...Gore.We could go back to the 80's and bring up Bratton, Alonzo Highsmith, etc...they were great in College.

I will simply add this.

Gore is now almost 2 full years removed from his 2nd ACL tear. He must be getting faster not slower.  I admit his Junior year at Miami was nothing special but when he was a Freshman he was pushing  Portis and McGahee to get to the NFL ASAP for fear of falling behind him on the depth charts...that's not BS, that's reality from local news oulets in Miami.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :banned: :banned: :banned:

What value does either back have even if they are featured? Its the suck a** 49ers we're talking about here. :rolleyes:
The Chargers entry to the Playoffs last year were their first since LTII was drafted....and there were some sorry San Diego teams that he was on. Did he have any value?Did Walter Payton have any value prior to the 1985 Bears winning a SB? I assure you he did and I assure you those teams were lousy that he was on.

What value does either back have even if they are featured?  Its the suck a** 49ers we're talking about here.  :rolleyes:
The Chargers entry to the Playoffs last year were their first since LTII was drafted....and there were some sorry San Diego teams that he was on. Did he have any value?Did Walter Payton have any value prior to the 1985 Bears winning a SB? I assure you he did and I assure you those teams were lousy that he was on.
using one of the best to ever play and the best RB currently in the game to make your point might not be the best tack - how did RBs that are not elite do in crappy offenses - unless youre trying to say that you think gore is an LT/payton in the making.

What value does either back have even if they are featured?  Its the suck a** 49ers we're talking about here.  :rolleyes:
using one of the best to ever play and the best RB currently in the game to make your point might not be the best tack - how did RBs that are not elite do in crappy offenses - unless youre trying to say that you think gore is an LT/payton in the making.
I'd cut GM some slack, he probably doesn't realize he's not in the FFA. ;) I agree though, good point, bad way to make it. I just took it to mean that you can find fantasy production on bad teams.

I think that holds true if the circumstances are just right. But, if a team has a questionable passing game and a mediocre offensive line, it typically doesn't bode well for runningback production. I'd stay away. You can't blindly look at the player's talent and ignore the situation they are in. Well, you can, if you want to select another bust in your fantasy draft.

I'd cut GM some slack, he probably doesn't realize he's not in the FFA. ;) I agree though, good point, bad way to make it. I just took it to mean that you can find fantasy production on bad teams.
exactly.....you can find good fantasy production from the RB spot on even the worst NFL teams. I'm not saying Gore or Barlow are Payton/LT incarnate, but the example is worth noting.Corey Dillon was on terrible Bengal teams...he was worth drafting.

Tiki Barber hasn't sniffed the playoffs in some time...he has value.

Dom Davis and company aren't superbowl favorites...value there.

my point was made...

I think that holds true if the circumstances are just right. But, if a team has a questionable passing game and a mediocre offensive line, it typically doesn't bode well for runningback production. I'd stay away. You can't blindly look at the player's talent and ignore the situation they are in. Well, you can, if you want to select another bust in your fantasy draft.
First of all, that offensive line was in shambles last year due to injuries. But through free agency and the draft, they upgraded their line.Second of all, the circumstances don't have to be perfect for a RB to emerge on a bad team. Like I said, Dillon was a one horse wrecking crew on some awful Cincy teams. You can get a Gore way late in the draft - perhaps as your fourth RB. If he gets that job, hangs on to it and is spoon fed the ball, crazier things have happened than a guy like this picking up 1000 yards. And if I'm going to take a flier on a guy, I'll take a one on a guy from Miami where they breed running backs like Kentucky breeds champion horses.

Several of you need to lose the attitudes and get a grip. Its a situation that is worthy of paying attention to. Nothing more. Nothing less.

exactly.....you can find good fantasy production from the RB spot on even the worst NFL teams. I'm not saying Gore or Barlow are Payton/LT incarnate, but the example is worth noting.Corey Dillon was on terrible Bengal teams...he was worth drafting.

my point was made...
i see your point, but youre still picking top 15 RBs. what if gore/barlow isnt that kind of talent?

I'm a huge huge niner fan. Yes barlow does present a solid value as RB3. Nothing more. I hate barlow. I'm in acouple of fantasy leagues with a guy who lives by the bay and is also a niner fan. He drafted barlow late in the first round and early in the 2nd round in two drafts. I told him not to because of the simple fact the only reason barlow did well in those years was due to Garrison Hearst. Yes you read it right, Garrison Hearst. Barlow does have more quickness than hearst, but hearst doesn't fall down on the first contact either. Barlow can't handle the full load by himself. I like Gore's size and speed. I'm hyped up about Gore. I hope he does takes over the starting position... Just my two cents...I bet most of everyone on this thread hates Willis Mcgahee also....

my point was made...
i see your point, but youre still picking top 15 RBs. what if gore/barlow isnt that kind of talent?
Right...that's by design. Look, FBG.com had Barlow ranked as a top 10 RB before last year....and he wasn't even close to that when the season was over. It's not like the guy didn't have any talent at his disposal. Furthermore, Gore was a third round pick from a school that produces some mighty fine RB's. Barber, Davis and Dillon were 2nd to 4th round picks and yet here they sit amongst the elite in fantasy land after enduring some bad teams.How else am I to prove my point than to show you that bad teams can and do produce very good fantasy backs?

Willis McGahee was a top three talent with off the chart physical talent. He finished top 5 in Heisman voting in 2002 and was one of the most dominant players in college football. Frank Gore is a marginal physical talent whose only real flashes of dominance came in garbage time four years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread