What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 teams tied for final 4 spots....who gets in (1 Viewer)

DepthCharts

Footballguy
200$ league, 2 divisions of 5 teams. Div winners and 4 wild cards make playoffs. I have no stake in this as im 2 seed (nor commish), but figured id throw it out for some help figuring this out for my leaguemates (all friends, 6 year old league with no turnonver).

Only tiebreakers at CBS in our rules - Overall Record, Head to Head, Div Record, Total Points

Div 1 - Overall Div Ranking in Points

Team A 7-6 5-3 4

Team B 7-6 3-5 1

Team C 7-6 3-5 5

Div 2

Team D 7-6 6-2 2

Team E 7-6 4-4 3

Only Div 2 has a H2H sweep D over E. sorry for edit, got carried away with space bar. Looking to know how to settle based on how the rules are written, more that what we need to do next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where real football and fantasy football should differ. The first tie breaker should always be total points.

I think in our cbs league if there are more than two teams involved in a tiebreaker, head to head is thrown out and it goes to division record, then points scored. So in this case, it would be the higher scoring of teams B and C would get the final spot and the other would be left out.

I agree that points should be the first tie breaker after record.

This is why we use total points as our first tiebreaker btw. Not only is it really hard to go past total points because ties are difficult with fractional scoring, but it rewards the guys who had bad luck (second best weekly score facing the worst) a little because a higher total points gets you in easier

Even if you want head to head to matter, it should only matter if its between 2 teams. If its 3 or more teams, total points is the only logical way to go.

I think in our cbs league if there are more than two teams involved in a tiebreaker, head to head is thrown out and it goes to division record, then points scored. So in this case, it would be the higher scoring of teams B and C would get the final spot and the other would be left out.

I agree that points should be the first tie breaker after record.
agree with this

200$ league, 2 divisions of 5 teams. Div winners and 4 wild cards make playoffs. I have no stake in this as im 2 seed (nor commish), but figured id throw it out for some help figuring this out for my leaguemates (all friends, 6 year old league with no turnonver).

Only tiebreakers at CBS in our rules - Overall Record, Head to Head, Div Record, Total Points

Div 1 - Overall Div Ranking in Points

Team A 7-6 5-3 4

Team B 7-6 3-5 1

Team C 7-6 3-5 5

Div 2

Team D 7-6 6-2 2

Team E 7-6 4-4 3

Only Div 2 has a H2H sweep D over E. sorry for edit, got carried away with space bar. Looking to know how to settle based on how the rules are written, more that what we need to do next year.
D wins the division due to H2H. A wins the division due to Division Record.

Then I would say that it is B and E. B makes it by virtue of breaking the tie within the division. I think that the tie-break needs to happen within the division first, if division record is a tiebreaker. Not much sense in comparing division records across divisions (if division record even makes sense at all). E is second in his division, so he is in and also has a better division record than the other 2. It works out well that B and E have the highest total point scored among B, C and E. Can't see how C could complain since he has the worst total points and worst division record of everyone.

Keep it simple.

Division record breaks divisional ties for first, points for Wildcard.

Assuming division winners are already decided and excluded from this exercise then points are the determining factor. B, D, E and A make it.

I don't see any case where C has a claim for the playoffs. They're not ahead of anyone in any tiebreaker.

I don't see any case where C has a claim for the playoffs. They're not ahead of anyone in any tiebreaker.
:goodposting:

Yes, your tiebreak rules suck and need to be fixed for next year.

But in the meantime, keep it simple. What argument does Team C have for getting one of the wildcard spots over any of the other four teams?

:goodposting:

Yes, your tiebreak rules suck and need to be fixed for next year.

But in the meantime, keep it simple. What argument does Team C have for getting one of the wildcard spots over any of the other four teams?
C beat E would be the only argument, however its not much of one. I tend to believe that C is the odd man out as well.

Long Ball Larry - to clarify - Division winners are not in this exercise, the 5 wild card potential teams are all that are listed here.

Pretty obvious that you need to define these more clearly in the future and probably reassign tie breakers.

The first problem is how do you define head to head? It's pretty clear when 2 teams are tied but argument could be made that you take the 5 teams tied in record and rank them based on their record against the other 4 teams.

If the league feels head to head doesn't mean against all teams tied in record you would have to throw that out and go to division record.

My view is that head to head is listed first and I would use the winning pct. of the 5 teams against each other as the first tie breaker.

Pretty obvious that you need to define these more clearly in the future and probably reassign tie breakers.

The first problem is how do you define head to head? It's pretty clear when 2 teams are tied but argument could be made that you take the 5 teams tied in record and rank them based on their record against the other 4 teams.

If the league feels head to head doesn't mean against all teams tied in record you would have to throw that out and go to division record.

My view is that head to head is listed first and I would use the winning pct. of the 5 teams against each other as the first tie breaker.
But this falls down when they don't all play the same teams. Say 1 team went 1-0 against the tied teams and lost to a bunch of chumps...he'd get the nod on winning pct over teams that are 3-1, etc. That is why I thin you use tie breakers that are transferrable to all teams considered. Division record ONLY if teams tied are in same division...points scored is most transferrable - not dependent on who each team played.

But this falls down when they don't all play the same teams. Say 1 team went 1-0 against the tied teams and lost to a bunch of chumps...he'd get the nod on winning pct over teams that are 3-1, etc. That is why I thin you use tie breakers that are transferrable to all teams considered. Division record ONLY if teams tied are in same division...points scored is most transferrable - not dependent on who each team played.
New Rules you could use:

H2H with only sweeps of all teams counting

Points For

Points Against

Coin Flip

<repeat as many times as needed>

You use the above to get the first team, then start over at H2H sweep and move dowards to get the 2nd team and so on.

H2H is a horrific tiebreaker for fantasy. Host sites should have one of those "Are you REALLY sure you want to do it this way" messages that repeats 3 times before letting you set it.

The scores both teams put up are most often independent of each other. The week the schedule decided to pair them normally isn't any more indicative of their play than any other random week their scores could have been compared on. That's not the case with real football where each team actually affects the other's score so head to head has some meaning.

Oh, and as far as handling explaining this with the league so it's clear you're not being biased, I'd go with the message that since it's unclear, you're going to go with the NFL's tiebreaking procedures to fill in the gaps like under what conditions head to head applies and whether division record applies to teams from different divisions.

Which means you would need to break the ties amongst the same division teams first as others have said above, and using the division tiebreakers to do so. And you wouldn't use division record for teams who don't share division, and would only use head to head in a sweep of all tied teams.

Div 1 - Overall Div Ranking in PointsTeam A 7-6 5-3 4Team B 7-6 3-5 1Team C 7-6 3-5 5 Div 2Team D 7-6 6-2 2Team E 7-6 4-4 3
Overall Record, Head to Head, Div Record, Total Points

Same record - Throw that out

Head to head - Tie except person with Highest Division Record Team D

Team D 6-2

Team A 5-3

Team E 4-4

Team B beats Team C on Points.

DAEB

Div 1 - Overall Div Ranking in PointsTeam A 7-6 5-3 4Team B 7-6 3-5 1Team C 7-6 3-5 5 Div 2Team D 7-6 6-2 2Team E 7-6 4-4 3
Overall Record, Head to Head, Div Record, Total Points

Same record - Throw that out

Head to head - Tie except person with Highest Division Record Team D

Team D 6-2

Team A 5-3

Team E 4-4

Team B beats Team C on Points.

DAEB
I believe this is the proper answer with the rules as currently written. Division record in fact comes into play, regardless of division. sad but true.

Break ties within the division 1st. Since D swept E, they are ranked higher than E. In division 1, since there are no sweeps, it goes to division record where A wins. B is 2nd and C is 3rd based on total points.

Then for breaking ties between divisions, you'd go back to head to head. Start with D vs A.. Who won? The winner gets the top seed. Loser goes to tiebreaker against the next team in the other division. So if D beat A, then you look at who won between A and E. It's a little more of a pain but is most like the way the NFL breaks ties.

If A, B, and C each beat D, they would be in and E would miss the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread