What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

7.24.21 Aaron Rodgers - Sports Books Brace For Retirement Announcement Wednesday (1 Viewer)

As far as fantasy football goes the Vikings were a top 5 offense last season, but part of the reason for that was because the defense was so bad they had to be to win games. So how well they do this year might be worse than that as I do expect their defense to he greatly improved.
I was considering this about MIN. They were great for FF last year, but that’s not how the Vikings wanted to play football last year.  But their D was broken so they got into shootouts. 

How much regression do you expect from the passing game as a result? 

I was considering this about MIN. They were great for FF last year, but that’s not how the Vikings wanted to play football last year.  But their D was broken so they got into shootouts. 

How much regression do you expect from the passing game as a result? 
I don't know really.

Part of me thinks better defense means the offense has the ball more and so they should be more productive because of that.

But then you have Zimmer and if the defense is doing their job then maybe Mattison is getting the ball more closing.

Its really hard to say.

I don't know really.

Part of me thinks better defense means the offense has the ball more and so they should be more productive because of that.

But then you have Zimmer and if the defense is doing their job then maybe Mattison is getting the ball more closing.

Its really hard to say.
Yeah. Better defense = more possessions = production as well. 

But they looooooove to run. I can’t imagine them really taking the air out of the ball with one of the most electric young WRs in the game though. 

anyway, this was all off-topic of ARod. lol

:penalty:   on me. 

5 yards, loss of down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Biabreakable said:
That doesnt have anything to do with Cousins success or lack there of that you were refrercing.

That's about all you would hear anyone on ESPN and so on in regards to Cousins until he won against the Saints.

So while I realize you were joking, bringing that up again is annoying to me.

Technically you are correct that Goff made it to the Super Bowl and Cousins hasn't yet.

As far as fantasy football goes the Vikings were a top 5 offense last season, but part of the reason for that was because the defense was so bad they had to be to win games. So how well they do this year might be worse than that as I do expect their defense to he greatly improved.

There are hidden yards to be considered here as well in the form of special teams which were awful last year.

If Westbrook is fully healthy they should he much better returning punts for example and the offense doesn't have to do as much if it is.
1. You are correct, it doesn’t. I still would be interested in your answer.

2. Sorry that you are annoyed.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Well sure, but there’s no way GB trades him now. The 2021 draft is over. 

So let’s say they deal him to one of those spots - what do they get back? Draft picks that won’t be very good because as you suggest, they're now a legit contender. 

So….what’s the incentive for GB to deal him? That they get back a bottom 12 pick or 2? Meh. 
Agree...they are now in the full on "let him sit" mode IMO.  At least prior to the season.  His value won't be as high now as possibly a few weeks into the season if a contender loses their QB...or then in the spring when they can deal to a team with better draft position.

Dealing him now for draft picks gets them back something in the late 20s to 30s.

Unless someone is throwing in players now...they might as well go it without him and suck and get their own better draft pick as well as cash in on what he could bring.

Agree...they are now in the full on "let him sit" mode IMO.  At least prior to the season.  His value won't be as high now as possibly a few weeks into the season if a contender loses their QB...or then in the spring when they can deal to a team with better draft position.

Dealing him now for draft picks gets them back something in the late 20s to 30s.

Unless someone is throwing in players now...they might as well go it without him and suck and get their own better draft pick as well as cash in on what he could bring.
Then he's a year closer to 40, and another year removed from being an MVP.  Rodgers value can only keep going down. It peaked before this year's draft, but a lot of depreciation waiting until next year.

I do agree that a team throwing in a player makes sense. Maybe a young starter and a 1st rounder. 

The 4 teams I could see making a major QB move, are Miami, Denver, Philly, and New Orleans. Philly and Miami have multiple 1sts so, maybe you ask for the one that isn't theirs, so Rodgers doesn't effect it. 

matuski said:
Right.. only you thought he might.

This is clearly not a retirement at all, only a ruse to avoid fines and to make life harder on the Packers.  An "abuse" of the definiton of retirement.
Why threaten retirement at all? If he doesn’t retire and reports to camp, he’s just being petty. If he doesn’t report to camp and does not retire, he WILL get fined unless the Packers forgive him. If he DOES retire then comes back next year, he loses respect from the fans and his teammates since they also lose a year. The Packers, with or without his input, put together a good team that are contenders. I’m not sure what more he wants. He is coming off worse every day.  

Why threaten retirement at all? If he doesn’t retire and reports to camp, he’s just being petty. If he doesn’t report to camp and does not retire, he WILL get fined unless the Packers forgive him. If he DOES retire then comes back next year, he loses respect from the fans and his teammates since they also lose a year. The Packers, with or without his input, put together a good team that are contenders. I’m not sure what more he wants. He is coming off worse every day.  
Unless the rules were changed in the last CBA, IIRC the retirement process involves the following:

A player has to officially file retirement papers with the league, which would force the player and the team to settle up. Unless the Packers are willing to forgive and forget (unlikely), Rodgers would be obligated to repay GB any signing bonus money he received for years he did not play. In this case, I believe that would be $23 million. GB would get some cap relief for this year (at a minimum, the salary he was due this year plus whatever they extracted from him that was allocated for his signing bonus for this year). There are a lot of outcomes to this, and they could either save a lot or eat a lot depending upon how things went. If there ended up being a grievance and a determination made down the road, GB might not get salary cap relief until next year.

I don't remember how long a player has to stay retired before being allowed to unretire. However, if a retired player files to be reinstated with the league office, his original team retains his rights and his contract picks up where it ended. I believe that he would be due his signing bonus money all over again.

But the tricky part for the Packers is they would have 24 hours (or one business day from when the league acknowledged Rodgers desire to return) to add Rodgers to the active roster . . . and they couldn't go over the salary cap. So if they went out and used the money from Rodgers on other players and had no salary cap space to activate him, they would have to release him (or trade him).

This situation came up when Rob Gronkowski wanted to unretire and play with TB. Gronk didn't want to go back to NE, so he basically forced a trade to TB (as NE would have needed $10+ million in available salary cap space).

Like I said, that's how the process was set up as of a few years ago . . . I don't know for certain if that is still the case now.

The rationale behind Rodgers actions / complaints is he expected carte blanche, red carpet treatment for as long as he wanted to play in GB (especially given his level of play). IIRC, the Packers were in the hunt for the SB and a couple of years ago approached Rodgers and got him to renegotiate his contract to free up some cap space (which he thought would be used to upgrade the offense). Instead, they did not add pieces on offense and also traded up in the draft to pick Love, which did nothing to help the team win immediately and did not give Rodgers another weapon to improve the offense. Also, from what I have read, the restructured deal allowed GB to effectively keep Rodgers from year to year past this season (the cap hit wouldn't really impact them too much if they wanted to trade or release him moving forward).

All that peeved Rodgers something fierce, which is what got us to this point. By (allegedly) asking for a new deal with $90 million guaranteed, that would effectively make it next to impossible for the Packers to move on from Rodgers for at least three more years. He doesn't want to be worrying about being there year to year. He wants to just be "the guy."

matuski said:
Right.. only you thought he might.

This is clearly not a retirement at all, only a ruse to avoid fines and to make life harder on the Packers.  An "abuse" of the definiton of retirement.
He's not threatened retirement - never mentioned it once, and all reports from his camp indicate its not a consideration.  Maybe he'll surprise us all, but so far the retirement talk is  confined to twitter rumor mongers and fantasy football message boards.

Bad form, bumping a 2021 thread that speculated Rodgers was on the verge of retirement to add some minimal Rodgers news. Come on, @CletiusMaximus ,,,

The point for me is that one of the largest fantasy sports gambling companies in the country put an 82% probability on Rodgers moving to the Raiders and the story was reported at SI.com. Is that "minimal Rodgers news?" Maybe so, but I think it is relevant and interesting specifically in the context of this thread from 2 years ago. What was DraftKings' motivation for putting this line out there and how is it meaningful in a discussion about off-season player movement rumors? When we see a massive betting line move like this, the knee-jerk reaction is to think he must be going to the Raiders (or, 2 years ago, he must be retiring.) They must know something and its a done deal. In retrospect, the smart reaction would have been to get 6-1 odds on him staying in Green Bay. Not because that's likely to happen, but just because the payout on that outcome is now half that.

Users who are viewing this thread