What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"75 Hard" challenge (1 Viewer)

Two different 45 minute workouts without missing a day, for 2.5 months is really, really hard.

That wouldn't be a good thing for my bod, I don't think. Bone-on-bone in my right big toe, plantar fasciitis in both feet, frequent sciatica pain, nerve damage in my left hand (I'll be 61 st the end of summer.)

I need recovery days. Consistency is a good thing but if I don't properly manage my workout schedules I end up much worse off with negligible benefit.

All things in moderation has served me well throughout my life.
You could swim for 45 min, then do something like yoga or tai chi with your other block.

I go to the gym 4 or 5 times each week. I just need to limit myself to low impact activity. Consistent level of effort and intentional cooking is working pretty well for me. But pushing myself too hard is detrimental.

Love swimming! Used to live in a midtown building with a pool for (2008-17), and it's absolutely the best exercise. It is challenging finding a good pool which primarily serves adults in NYC, but I def miss the whole body aspect of doing laps in a full sized pool (or equivalency.)

I would but I’m going to drink this summer. Also kind of funny how the requirements are pretty hard and then it’s read 10 pages like a 1st grader.

Every January I read about 90 pages for thirty days. To do that I have to basically go on a social media fast (which is so refreshing.)

Rest of the year I average that for the week (roughly.) I love to learn new things, or merely deepen areas of interest.

I would but I’m going to drink this summer. Also kind of funny how the requirements are pretty hard and then it’s read 10 pages like a 1st grader.

I've got a huge respect for anyone who does this type of thing, but the funny thing for me is that it has to be 10 pages of non-fiction. I had to quit my last book club, which drew me in through its name - the "whisky and cigar book club" - when I learned that middle class, middle aged guys only read bios of titans of industry, military histories and self-help / business motivation books, which they believe are not pure fiction. Honestly, 10 daily pages of that drivel is a chore. My departure from the club was by mutual consent after I spent an evening mocking "Unbreakable" as being more fictionalized than the book I had hosted, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - which no one but me read.

I knew about the booze, but now I’m starting to think this place is filled with bookaholics.
What do you mean? 10 pages takes what, 10-20 minutes? Just seems pretty light relative to the other requirements.
As I said above, we all have different priorities/habits. Much easier for me to exercise a bit more, than commit to reading daily. Never came close to reading that consistently, at any point in my life (crammed in school, rarely read for leisure).

In absolute time, sure, the reading is less commitment. But I don’t enjoy it, so it’s harder than doing a little more of what I do already.

Heck, abstaining from alcohol will actually save you time. But multiple people have identified that as a deal-breaker.

Timing works well for me. I will play. Looking to drop 15 lbs that got away from me last year. Currently 199.

Daily updates the plan? I’ll try to keep the progress selfies PG13.

I knew about the booze, but now I’m starting to think this place is filled with bookaholics.
What do you mean? 10 pages takes what, 10-20 minutes? Just seems pretty light relative to the other requirements.
As I said above, we all have different priorities/habits. Much easier for me to exercise a bit more, than commit to reading daily. Never came close to reading that consistently, at any point in my life (crammed in school, rarely read for leisure).

In absolute time, sure, the reading is less commitment. But I don’t enjoy it, so it’s harder than doing a little more of what I do already.

Heck, abstaining from alcohol will actually save you time. But multiple people have identified that as a deal-breaker.
For sure, to each their own. This program is clearly designed for a person who doesn’t read but likes to workout. Nothing wrong with that.

I've got a huge respect for anyone who does this type of thing, but the funny thing for me is that it has to be 10 pages of non-fiction. I had to quit my last book club, which drew me in through its name - the "whisky and cigar book club" - when I learned that middle class, middle aged guys only read bios of titans of industry, military histories and self-help / business motivation books, which they believe are not pure fiction. Honestly, 10 daily pages of that drivel is a chore. My departure from the club was by mutual consent after I spent an evening mocking "Unbreakable" as being more fictionalized than the book I had hosted, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - which no one but me read.
I rarely read nonfiction. If I’m reading something mostly made up, I at least want the author to be upfront about it.

For me, easiest to hardest is 5-1-2-3-4.
Reading 10 pages of a book is the hardest? How is that even possibly close to the hardest?

5. Take a progress picture.
4. Read 10 pages of a nonfiction, educational book. Audiobooks don’t count.
3. Drink a gallon of water.
2. Complete two 45-minute workouts a day. One must be outside.
1. Follow a structured diet. No alcohol or "cheat meals."
Sorry, second hardest.

Selfie is easiest, though I hate pictures.
Not hard to follow a diet. Don’t care about alcohol.
Working out also isn’t difficult, but would prefer a single 1.5 hour block.
Don’t like reading. I’m a functional illiterate, with a short attention span.
Drinking that much water is most difficult.

I‘ve done the first four independently, in different times of my life, some way longer than 75 days. I’m not sure I‘ve ever drank a gallon of water in a day. Maybe after exercising a lot.
😂😂😂

I can attest to this.

While I could Do this(I think). I don't particularly want to. Also unpossible atm because we are doing a full remodel. I’ve never eaten out so much in my life.

Easiest to hardest for me:

pic
water
reading
diet and exercise I vacillate between. I already work out 5ish days a week. The two 45 minute sessions is annoying. I already eat quite well. But really enjoy going out occasionally. I do drink though. I used to give it up for lent no problem. :oldunsure:

Struggling with the two 45 minutes. I could get my lifting done in 30 minutes. Does taking longer rests just to get to 45 minutes really make a difference?

For sure, to each their own. This program is clearly designed for a person who doesn’t read but likes to workout. Nothing wrong with that.
What do you think a fair amount of reading would be?

Reading 10 pages of a book is the hardest? How is that even possibly close to the hardest?

Sorry, second hardest.

I‘ve done the first four independently, in different times of my life, some way longer than 75 days. I’m not sure I‘ve ever drank a gallon of water in a day. Maybe after exercising a lot.
😂😂😂

I can attest to this.
Just realized it‘s a daily selfie. That may be the new crux for me. :pics:

Sorry, second hardest.

😂😂😂

I can attest to this.
At least it's not a selfie while reading.....

Impossible to say because it depends how much you already read. Why not set by minutes instead of pages? 30 mins seems like a pretty decent starting spot. Again though, it’s all relative to what your normal reading level is. 10 pages is like 10-15 minutes.

Man, out on the 1st requirement. Hard fail.
The fact that the "no alcohol" thing feels like the hardest part to me, too, tells me that it's probably a good thing to do.
I think it's more the timing for me. I waited all winter to be able to sit outside, watch baseball, have a few pops with my friends, and BBQ some good food. Just not willing to give up basically my whole summer of that.
That’s exactly it.
Lawn mowing, pool, after a tri, etc. I’d probably do this April to June. Not in the summer or early fall.

Sorry, second hardest.

😂😂😂

I can attest to this.
At least it's not a selfie while reading.....
Selfie while reading and eating on the 🚽

Two different 45 minute workouts without missing a day, for 2.5 months is really, really hard.

Most days - workout in the morning, walk the dog in the afternoon. Haven’t missed more than a few days in a year. But every day becomes difficult when life is busy.

Impossible to say because it depends how much you already read. Why not set by minutes instead of pages? 30 mins seems like a pretty decent starting spot. Again though, it’s all relative to what your normal reading level is. 10 pages is like 10-15 minutes.
OK, hypothetically let’s say someone reads little more than internet summaries, and a couple 3-5 page journal articles every couple weeks. They never sit down to read for pleasure, and haven’t completed a book cover-to-cover since high school.

For that person, 30 minutes of nonfiction per day seems pretty daunting.

I

OK, hypothetically let’s say someone reads little more than internet summaries, and a couple 3-5 page journal articles every couple weeks. They never sit down to read for pleasure, and haven’t completed a book cover-to-cover since high school.

It’s supposed to be a hard challenge. They are asking people to workout 90 mins everyday. That would be daunting for someone who doesn’t do much physical activity. Like I said, any challenge like this should be built around the person’s existing baselines.

I

It’s supposed to be a hard challenge. They are asking people to workout 90 mins everyday. That would be daunting for someone who doesn’t do much physical activity. Like I said, any challenge like this should be built around the person’s existing baselines.
Understood. My point is: 10 pages daily is a lot for many people, even though it seems elementary to some of you guys.

While ninety minutes of exercise is tough, it becomes a lot easier if things like walking are included.

Also, if I never, ever take selfies, or any photos for that matter, what is a reasonable pic challenge?

I

Understood. My point is: 10 pages daily is a lot for many people, even though it seems elementary to some of you guys.

While ninety minutes of exercise is tough, it becomes a lot easier if things like walking are included.

Also, if I never, ever take selfies, or any photos for that matter, what is a reasonable pic challenge?
90 mins a day of even waking could be a huge challenge for someone who is very overweight or has some health issues.

I think a selfie a day is pretty easy, even if you never take them. It takes 5 seconds to take a picture of yourself. There’s nothing remotely challenging about it.

10 pages of a book or pages pages in the Shark Pool?

Does the challenge allow for online reading?

I

90 mins a day of even waking could be a huge challenge for someone who is very overweight or has some health issues.

I think a selfie a day is pretty easy, even if you never take them. It takes 5 seconds to take a picture of yourself. There’s nothing remotely challenging about it.
Don’t want to prolong this tangent much longer, but effort can be in the eye of the beholder, too.

Not drinking is effortless to me, for example.

And yeah, health status impacts one’s ability to exercise. But most people considering this challenge can walk for two 45 minute blocks. Or do yoga, tai chi, etc.

Taking daily selfies is objectively easy, but not something that adds much to the challenge, imo. A single before and after pic should suffice.

I

Don’t want to prolong this tangent much longer, but effort can be in the eye of the beholder, too.

Not drinking is effortless to me, for example.

And yeah, health status impacts one’s ability to exercise. But most people considering this challenge can walk for two 45 minute blocks. Or do yoga, tai chi, etc.

Taking daily selfies is objectively easy, but not something that adds much to the challenge, imo. A single before and after pic should suffice.
Yeah and most people can read 10 pages a day, even if they have a learning disability. I just don’t get why you are so hung up on the reading thing.

I assume part of the challenge selfie thing is to track a progress so you can see how you are changing daily. I agree it seems excessive but I didn’t make the challenge nor do I plan on participating.

I think I had forgotten a gallon is 128 ounces - that’s A LOT of freaking water. And I drink several large cups a day.
Mayo Clinic suggests healthy men drink 15.5 cups (124 ounces) of fluids a day. That includes all fluids (20% comes from food). So yea, it is a lot of water but you just need to replace all other liquids with water and it's doable

I'm going to start the "75 Hard" challenge on June 1, and I'm looking for some accountability buddies. I think it's been mentioned in the FFA a couple of times in the past, but for anyone who isn't familiar, it requires you to complete each of the following for 75 days straight:

I thought this might appeal to some of you who are trying to lose weight. Anyone with me??
My son is a senior in high school has been doing this for like four months, he just kept going. He's a soccer player so he was in good shape before he started. Now he's jacked. He's very happy with the results.

30 minutes of nonfiction per day seems pretty daunting.
It is not 30 minutes. Average person can read 10 pages in 16 minutes
I was responding to @Ilov80s re: 30 minutes, as a more appropriate amount of reading.

To be clear, I’m not hung up on it.

Like others, I listed the easiest to hardest components to the challenge. Then I was promptly told what I thought was difficult, wasn’t.

I was responding to @Ilov80s re: 30 minutes, as a more appropriate amount of reading.

Like others, I listed the easiest to hardest components to the challenge. Then I was promptly told what I thought was difficult, wasn’t.
Just to be clear. I don’t think I ever told you what would be hardest or easiest for you.

I think I had forgotten a gallon is 128 ounces - that’s A LOT of freaking water. And I drink several large cups a day.
It’s a lottttt of water. And a fairly arbitrary number. Fluid requirements vary according to age, gender, climate and level of activity, at the minimum. Plus, international health organizations recommend different amounts as “ideal”. TMK, no one recommends a gallon/day.

Of note, well dressed European guidelines suggest about a liter less water intake than our slovenly National Academy of Medicine.
The primary indicator of hydration status is plasma or serum osmolality. Because normal hydration can be maintained over a wide range of water intakes, the AI for total water (from a combination of drinking water, beverages, and food) is set based on the median total water intake from U.S. survey data. The AI for total water intake for young men and women (ages 19 to 30 years) is 3.7 L and 2.7 L per day, respectively.1 Fluids (drinking water and beverages) provided 3.0 L (101 fluid oz; ≈ 13 cups) and 2.2 L (74 fluid oz; ≈ 9 cups) per day for 19- to 30-year-old men and women, respectively, representing approximately 81 percent of total water intake in the U.S. survey.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2005. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/10925.

Last edited:

Just to be clear. I don’t think I ever told you what would be hardest or easiest for you.
True. @the moops was a bit more skeptical of my claims.

But you did suggest a grade schooler would have no difficulty accomplishing what I find difficult.

ETA I‘m not offended. Just find it funny how different perceptions are, after a half dozen people tapped out on something I find comparably easy.

True. @the moops was a bit more skeptical of my claims.

But you did suggest a grade schooler would have no difficulty accomplishing what I find difficult.

ETA I‘m not offended. Just find it funny how different perceptions are, after a half dozen people tapped out on something I find comparably easy.
Not a personal judgement. i just think it’s a really low bar- like asking someone to go for a 20 min walk. Ultimately it all comes down to each persons own interest and ability.

If you're exercising 2x per day for 45 mins in summer a gallon of water per day really isn't that hard.
It's doable but still seems like a lot to me. When I was working out more seriously 60-90 mins a day, I don't think I was getting over 100 ounces a day.

If you're exercising 2x per day for 45 mins in summer a gallon of water per day really isn't that hard.
It's doable but still seems like a lot to me. When I was working out more seriously 60-90 mins a day, I don't think I was getting over 100 ounces a day.
Between late Oct and late Apr? Probably. Early May to mid Oct? I don't track my water intake, but triple digits with ease most days.

Between late Oct and late Apr? Probably. Early May to mid Oct? I don't track my water intake, but triple digits with ease most days.
True. Maybe I just drink too many Modelos in the summer lol.

It’s a lottttt of water. And a fairly arbitrary number. Fluid requirements vary according to age, gender, climate and level of activity, at the minimum. Plus, international health organizations recommend different amounts as “ideal”. TMK, no one recommends a gallon/day.

Of note, well dressed European guidelines suggest about a liter less water intake than our slovenly National Academy of Medicine.
The primary indicator of hydration status is plasma or serum osmolality. Because normal hydration can be maintained over a wide range of water intakes, the AI for total water (from a combination of drinking water, beverages, and food) is set based on the median total water intake from U.S. survey data. The AI for total water intake for young men and women (ages 19 to 30 years) is 3.7 L and 2.7 L per day, respectively.1 Fluids (drinking water and beverages) provided 3.0 L (101 fluid oz; ≈ 13 cups) and 2.2 L (74 fluid oz; ≈ 9 cups) per day for 19- to 30-year-old men and women, respectively, representing approximately 81 percent of total water intake in the U.S. survey.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2005. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/10925.

Is a gallon potentially harmful?

Nope, you will just pee a lot.

Yep. I can take that much during/after one run when it's hot.

Usually not. But drinking too much, too quickly, sometimes in the context of vigorous exercise, can rarely result in water intoxication.
Water intoxication is rare, and it is very difficult to consume too much water by accident. However, it can happen — there have been numerous medical reports of death due to excessive water intake.

Water intoxication most commonly affects people participating in sporting events or endurance training, or people who have various mental health conditions.

Sporting events​

Water intoxication is particularly common among endurance athletes. It can happen if a person drinks a lot of water without correctly accounting for electrolyte losses.

For this reason, hyponatremia often occurs during major sporting events.

As the authors of one study report, out of 488 participants in the 2002 Boston Marathon, 13% had hyponatremia symptoms, and 0.6% had critical hyponatremia, with sodium levels of less than 120 mmol/l.

Instances of water intoxication at these events have resulted in death. One caseTrusted Source involved a runner who had collapsed after a marathon.

Because he was improperly rehydrated, his sodium levels fell below 130 mmol/l. The runner then developed water on the brain, known as hydrocephalus, and a hernia in his brain stem, which caused his death.

Military training​

One medical reportTrusted Source described 17 soldiers who developed hyponatremia after drinking too much water during training. Their blood sodium levels were 115–130 mmol/l, while the normal range is 135–145 mmol/l.

According to another reportTrusted Source, three soldiers died due to hyponatremia and cerebral edema. These deaths were associated with drinking more than 5 liters of water in just a few hours.

The symptoms of hyponatremia can be misinterpreted as those of dehydration. According to one reportTrusted Source, a soldier who received an incorrect diagnosis of dehydration and heat stroke died from water intoxication as a result of rehydration efforts.

No, many fat Americans drink a gallon of beer or a gallon of sodas everyday.

1 gallon = 128 oz = 10 beers = 3 44 oz jumbo sodas from the gas station or Sonic

Nit picking over a gallon of water and reading 10 pages is peak internet tomfoolery.
Not really an apt comparison, as both caffeine and alcohol are diuretics. And those beverages contain small amounts of solute, including sodium. If you pee more, you can drink more, and low sodium is what gets people into trouble from water intoxication.

A gallon of water consumed regularly over the course of the day shouldn’t be a problem for the vast majority of people. Just it isn’t necessarily healthier than drinking 2-3L/day, with intake dictated by thirst and activity level.

To be clear, I‘m not concerned about water intoxication drinking a gallon. But I do believe it’s far more difficult than you guys make it out to be.

And reading that much is just boring.

im not even joking i will do a light version of this because i dont know if i can do two 45 minute workouts as my back is pure garbage and waiting on yet another surgery and no way in hell im sending any of you jabronis pictures of the old swcer but i will do everything else with you lets do this take that to the bank brohan

im not even joking i will do a light version of this because i dont know if i can do two 45 minute workouts as my back is pure garbage and waiting on yet another surgery and no way in hell im sending any of you jabronis pictures of the old swcer but i will do everything else with you lets do this take that to the bank brohan
Good luck on your 75 Medium and take that to the bank brochacho.

Not really an apt comparison, as both caffeine and alcohol are diuretics. And those beverages contain small amounts of solute, including sodium. If you pee more, you can drink more, and low sodium is what gets people into trouble from water intoxication.

A gallon of water consumed regularly over the course of the day shouldn’t be a problem for the vast majority of people. Just it isn’t necessarily healthier than drinking 2-3L/day, with intake dictated by thirst and activity level.

To be clear, I‘m not concerned about water intoxication drinking a gallon. But I do believe it’s far more difficult than you guys make it out to be.

I always enjoy your takes in the health/medical threads. You bring a perspective that demonstrates both knowledge and personal experience.

This is an interesting thread because the 5 components of the challenge have different levels of difficulty for different people.

For me drinking a gallon of water a day is about as difficult as breathing. Living in the desert it is just second nature to knock down 16-20 oz of water every few hours without even thinking about it. That is obviously not going to be the same for people who live in cooler or more humid climates. I probably have 200+ books in my Audible library so finding the time or desire to read 10 pages should be a no brainer, however actually reading a physical book/ebook is something I have not done a lot of in 10 years and that would require discipline.

The no cheat days and 2x45 minute workouts would be the biggest challenge for me because I have always struggled with consistency. All or nothing has been my approach to diet and exercise. And that is probably what I would gain the most from doing this challenge, forming the habit of consistency. Like SWC, I may look at doing a 75 day Medium Challenge.

I always enjoy your takes in the health/medical threads. You bring a perspective that demonstrates both knowledge and personal experience.

This is an interesting thread because the 5 components of the challenge have different levels of difficulty for different people.

For me drinking a gallon of water a day is about as difficult as breathing. Living in the desert it is just second nature to knock down 16-20 oz of water every few hours without even thinking about it. That is obviously not going to be the same for people who live in cooler or more humid climates. I probably have 200+ books in my Audible library so finding the time or desire to read 10 pages should be a no brainer, however actually reading a physical book/ebook is something I have not done a lot of in 10 years and that would require discipline.

The no cheat days and 2x45 minute workouts would be the biggest challenge for me because I have always struggled with consistency. All or nothing has been my approach to diet and exercise. And that is probably what I would gain the most from doing this challenge, forming the habit of consistency. Like SWC, I may look at doing a 75 day Medium Challenge.
You’ve eloquently restated the point I’ve been trying to make. I agree it’s interesting, and think others would do well to appreciate our differences, rather than poo-poo/cast doubt on others’ assessment of their challenges.

My 75 Medium will have only two selfies. Not because it’s too hard to take more pictures; I just don’t see any value in it - same reason I believe daily weights aren’t helpful.

I think I can handle the rest. :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread