What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (1 Viewer)

Wait are we supposed to send you our own ranked list or a guess as to how the totals will be tallied/averaged?  
These are your personal top 10-20 movies for 1999.  I will do the math and then a countdown of the top 30 or so movies starting the 12th. 

KarmaPolice said:
@El Floppo - what jacked up site are you looking at for your list? ;)

I just got home and took a longer look at your list.  Besides Lock, Stock I show your #1 as 1998, and your 12 and 13 picks as 1997.  
:lol:

SorryGB... I'll take another look

If you don't remember them well enough, they don't belong on your "best of" list.
It's not that I don't remember them. It's getting down to deciding between say the No. 6 and No. 7 films that is difficult when they aren't fresh in your mind.

It's not that I don't remember them. It's getting down to deciding between say the No. 6 and No. 7 films that is difficult when they aren't fresh in your mind.
Agree and really it's kind of splitting hairs at some point. I don't rank them but group them. I had 3 movies which I considered A level movies and awarded them all 20 points. The I had a group of movies that were very good which I gave 15, another group of movies at 12 and so on. I guess it's the fantasy equivalent of tiers instead of rankings. 

KarmaPolice said:
@El Floppo - what jacked up site are you looking at for your list? ;)

I just got home and took a longer look at your list.  Besides Lock, Stock I show your #1 as 1998, and your 12 and 13 picks as 1997.  
I am using the same site as Floppo as it does have a more extensive list of releases.  Obviously, some of them are erroneous, but some are accurate and are movies not listed on the wiki page you linked in the first post.  Guess we'll just have to double check for accuracy before submitting.

This should be a great series of threads.  Thanks, KP. 

I am using the same site as Floppo as it does have a more extensive list of releases.  Obviously, some of them are erroneous, but some are accurate and are movies not listed on the wiki page you linked in the first post.  Guess we'll just have to double check for accuracy before submitting.

I am going to check over the lists too for another set of eyes.  Yeah, that link isn't for everything - I had to dig a little deeper for some docs and foreign movies that I thought were around that year.  I just ended up checking a couple of them individually on wiki/imdb.  

Agree and really it's kind of splitting hairs at some point. I don't rank them but group them. I had 3 movies which I considered A level movies and awarded them all 20 points. The I had a group of movies that were very good which I gave 15, another group of movies at 12 and so on. I guess it's the fantasy equivalent of tiers instead of rankings. 
I think I might end up going this route too.  

Anybody else going to watch one or two that you haven't gotten to before now? 
Hell, yes.

I think that's the point of this entire endeavor.  That's why I think we should all post our lists as we go.  The suspense of the reveal probably won't be too suspenseful.  I want to read about the lesser known gems that have no chance to make a final 20 as the thread moves along.  Most of us will have seen the majority of the top 20.  Just my $0.02. 

Of the 20 I submitted I own 17 either on Vudu or disc.  I'll re-watch a couple.

Hell, yes.

I think that's the point of this entire endeavor.  That's why I think we should all post our lists as we go.  The suspense of the reveal probably won't be too suspenseful.  I want to read about the lesser known gems that have no chance to make a final 20 as the thread moves along.  Most of us will have seen the majority of the top 20.  Just my $0.02. 
Depending on the # of lists, I do plan on listing all that got votes like NV does, but we will see.    Might just be easier for people to post their lists at the end and/or just bring up ones that they ranked really high but might not have gotten a lot of votes from others.   You are probably right in the overall scheme of things there might not be many surprises in the final countdown, but we should try to also make this about talking about ones that people might have overlooked. 

I meant more like I saw some on lists as I looked through stuff that I have been meaning to watch, and now I have the impulse to watch them before making my list realizing that they would have to be pretty damn good to boot one that I have liked for all these years.  

Sorry I missed it somehow - which site?  I found the Wiki list a little lacking (only a little, but enough to tingle my movie snobbery).

I think I might end up going this route too.  
I’m doing exactly this.  I can’t possibly rank order them entirely.

Anybody else going to watch one or two that you haven't gotten to before now? 
Not before voting, but I might watch something that ends up ranked highly if I missed it before.

No but there's a couple I really liked that I haven't seen in awhile that I'll try to give a rewatch.

This too.  There were 3-4 that I wrote down that I probably only saw around the time of release, but obviously left enough of an impression that I remembered them and wrote them down.  I am curious to see if they hold up, or have the Almost Famous factor for me.  

Do you think a rewatch will change your rankings, or do you think you have a good feel for all the movies? 

I am sure discussion will be had as we go, but I am curious if people in here are chronic re-watchers, or if these are movies that you have only seen once, maybe twice.  

Hell, yes.

I have one ranked really high (KP prolly knows which one I'm talking about) that I feel like most other people won't have. May not even be a top 20, but that's why the reveal will be exciting.

I have one ranked really high (KP prolly knows which one I'm talking about) that I feel like most other people won't have. May not even be a top 20, but that's why the reveal will be exciting.
But the reveal will only be the top 20 (or 50?) ranked by all, so your highly ranked but lesser known film may not make the final reveal.  That's my point. Even if KP lists all "others receiving votes" at the end of this thread, there will be little to no discussion, and we'll be moving on to 1998.  In the album threads, some albums receiving a single maximum vote do make the final reveal, but, depending on how many lists are submitted, that may not happen.

Curious, just in case, what's the movie? :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my list:

The Green Mile      30
American Beauty     30

Fight Club          25
The Matrix          25

The Straight Story    16
Being John Malkovich  16

The Talented Mr. Ripley 10
Arlington Road          10
The Hurricane           10

Notting Hill        5
The Bone Collector  5
Toy Story 2         5
The Sixth Sense     5

Magnolia  3

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 2

The Phantom Menace 1
Sunshine 1
Flawless 1

Here's my list:

The Green Mile      30
American Beauty     30
Princess Mononoke   30

Fight Club          20
The Matrix          20

The Straight Story    10
Being John Malkovich  10

The Talented Mr. Ripley 8
Arlington Road          8
The Hurricane           8

Notting Hill        5
The Bone Collector  5
Toy Story 2         5
The Sixth Sense     5

Magnolia  2

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 1
The Phantom Menace 1
Sunshine 1
Flawless 1
Princess Mononoke 1997

But the reveal will only be the top 20 (or 50?) ranked by all, so your highly ranked but lesser known film may not make the final reveal.  That's my point. Even if KP lists all "others receiving votes" at the end of this thread, there will be little to no discussion, and we'll be moving on to 1998.  In the album threads, some albums receiving a single maximum vote do make the final reveal, but, depending on how many lists are submitted, that may not happen.

Dang good point, in the 2 lists people have put up, mine isn't in either lol, but:

I gave 25 points (of an 11 movie list) to October Sky.

Sorry I missed it somehow - which site?  I found the Wiki list a little lacking (only a little, but enough to tingle my movie snobbery).

I’m doing exactly this.  I can’t possibly rank order them entirely.

Not before voting, but I might watch something that ends up ranked highly if I missed it before.
You have me on ignore, don't you.

Your point is well received, but let's see how this goes.  Honestly I don't know what the # will be for he countdown.  I assume there will just be a natural break somewhere after I add up all the votes.   One thing I could do is before the countdown starts list the movies that were given 20pts or more by a voter or two, but didn't make the countdown.  Not sure if that would be a spoiler of what's to come, but it could initiate the discussion of underrated gems sooner than dumping a list after the countdown is over.  

This is a first for the movies, so we will see.  I am not sure how many lists NV usually gets, but like you said, this list might be more like a typical list than that because there are less movies and maybe more participants.  IMO this is a good year to test out because there are polarizing critic movies mixed with mainstream popular comedies, so we will see how it all shakes out.  I will say that I am pleasantly surprised by the lists so far.  Also with being a first for movies, I am open to suggestions to mix it up or maybe introduce movies that typically might not show up on a list if we feel this one is too populist.  

I don't plan on doing 1998 the week after this is done, so in the end if we want to turn this into a discussion of overlooked gems and several of us have brought up just that, we have time to do just that.  

Thought this was all of 90’s, not just one year.  Not sure I’ll be able to list 10 movies. 

Just a warning that this list is also not all-inclusive, as I found several I loved on the Wiki page that weren't on this.  So now I've made a list of all the ones I want from both this page and Wiki and it comprises...82 films. :lmao:   I will admit that 1999-2001 were my prime movie-watching years, but this is ridiculous.

What are we using as the bible for when a movie was released?  I'm hoping if I cross-reference to that maybe I can knock 10 or so off the list before getting to the more painful cuts.  I see, for instance, that Princess Mononoke is from 1997 according to someone else, though this list said 1999.

Just a warning that this list is also not all-inclusive, as I found several I loved on the Wiki page that weren't on this.  So now I've made a list of all the ones I want from both this page and Wiki and it comprises...92 films. :lmao:   I will admit that 1999-2001 were my prime movie-watching years, but this is ridiculous.

What are we using as the bible for when a movie was released?  I'm hoping if I cross-reference to that maybe I can knock 10 or so off the list before getting to the more painful cuts.  I see, for instance, that Princess Mononoke is from 1997 according to someone else, though this list said 1999.
That's up to KP, but I've found IMDB.com to be very reliable. 

Just a warning that this list is also not all-inclusive, as I found several I loved on the Wiki page that weren't on this.  So now I've made a list of all the ones I want from both this page and Wiki and it comprises...82 films. :lmao:   I will admit that 1999-2001 were my prime movie-watching years, but this is ridiculous.

@krista4

I've just been using imdb.com and Wikipedia.  There might be issues with a couple titles still, but it should take care of the vast majority if we just stick to those two.  (I haven't come across a movie where they disagree on the date yet)  

I just caught that.  :lol:    Have fun narrowing that list down.  

Do you think a rewatch will change your rankings, or do you think you have a good feel for all the movies? 

I am sure discussion will be had as we go, but I am curious if people in here are chronic re-watchers, or if these are movies that you have only seen once, maybe twice.
Probably not, I've seen most of them many times (except for the two where the ending is pretty much the movie).

Users who are viewing this thread