What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (5 Viewers)

This is a really cool idea.  I do not watch many movies and only know the mainstream releases.  My list would not add much to the process but I will definitely take part when you post the poll.   

If nothing else comes from this thread, if you haven't seen Detroit Rock City, Payback or The Limey before, those are three movies I highly recommend from 1999.

Here's my list:

1. The Straight Story 
  2. Being John Malkovich 
  3. Fight Club 
  4. The Matrix 
  5. Topsy Turvy 
  6. Galaxy Quest  
  7. Office Space 
  8. Election 
  9. The Iron Giant 
  10. Buena Vista Social Club 
  11. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 
  12. Felicia's Journey 
  13. Toy Story 2 
  14. Magnolia 
  15. eXistenZ 
  16. The Sixth Sense 
  17. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
  18. Go!
  19. The Insider
  20. Man on the Moon
Revised list... hopefully all 1999 this time (pulled from wiki)

If nothing else comes from this thread, if you haven't seen Detroit Rock City, Payback or The Limey before, those are three movies I highly recommend from 1999.
Detroit Rock City was 22 on my list and just missed the cut.  I enjoyed it.

haven't seen DRC I don't think.

Payback was ok for me, but the Limey was definitely good... had thought about it yesterday and was right there outside the 20. forgot about it just now while adding those others.

Detroit Rock City was 22 on my list and just missed the cut.  I enjoyed it.
Even though the era of DRC was the 70's, it reminded me of growing up in the 80's.  I grew up in NE Ohio about 70 miles south of Cleveland so guys would pile into a car and head up to Cleveland for a concert.  I couldn't wait to hear the stories the next day, there was always something crazy that happened and this movie kind of put me in mind of it plus it's just funny as hell.

btw... it's been hard not including The Mummy, which I think is a fantastic popcorn flick. brendan fraser at the height of his appeal/ability and IIRC, the first time I saw Rachel Weisz ( :wub:

haven't seen DRC I don't think.

Payback was ok for me, but the Limey was definitely good... had thought about it yesterday and was right there outside the 20. forgot about it just now while adding those others.
Both Payback and The Limey I saw a couple of years after they came out.  I don't recall ever seeing movie reviews or ads for them so they were both movies I think I either pulled off a shelf at Blockbuster (yeah I'm like old and stuff or something) or I saw them on a movie channel at night and so they were both "surprises" for me.  I mean I thought they were both pretty good and I was surprised I had never heard of them before.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw... it's been hard not including The Mummy, which I think is a fantastic popcorn flick. brendan fraser at the height of his appeal/ability and IIRC, the first time I saw Rachel Weisz ( :wub:
I am not sure how much that is saying though.  The Mummy is one that my son discovered recently and has watched a few times.  Agree - just a great popcorn flick and I get sucked in every time and end up watching with him.  

Both Payback and The Limey I saw a couple of years after they came out.  I don't recall ever seeing movie reviews or ads for them so they were both movies I think I either pulled off a shelf at Blockbuster (yeah I'm like old and stuff or something) or I saw them on a movie channel at night and so they were both "surprises" for me.  I mean I thought they were both pretty good and I was surprised I had never heard of them before.
Payback had a bit of promo leading up to it's release (I remember a lot of commercials) given the cast. I missed it in the theaters, but caught it not much later. aside from the song (see interests under my av), the movie didn't do a lot for me. haven't rewatched it since. I remember a friend telling me I had to see the Limey- which I did in the theater. was at a time when those more underbelly brit gangster movies were coming out (whatever year lock stock was) and this one worked across the board for me. but another one I haven't seen again.

I am not sure how much that is saying though.  The Mummy is one that my son discovered recently and has watched a few times.  Agree - just a great popcorn flick and I get sucked in every time and end up watching with him.  
he didn't go anywhere good in later career, but I thought he was great here, Airheads, and especially School Ties and Gods and Monsters. seemed on the verge of being A-list but certainly swerved the other way. I see there's an interview with him recently about all of this... might read it.

as per that list, it appears as if we may have only had three chances to bump into each other at the Angelika in '99

:popcorn:
send me your list... curious if it's more artsy or less.

#### the angelica. I really hate that place, even if they had a stranglehold on most of the good movies.

Good turnout so far - I think I have 22 lists with others like krista, rockaction, and shuke lingering and hopefully sending lists later.

he didn't go anywhere good in later career, but I thought he was great here, Airheads, and especially School Ties and Gods and Monsters. seemed on the verge of being A-list but certainly swerved the other way. I see there's an interview with him recently about all of this... might read it.
Wasn't there some other school related one he did with Pesci as a bum or something?  

Like you said he was on the verge, and it seemed like the next thing I know he is doing George of the Jungle and other BS.  He's just one of those guys like Nic Cage for me that just make me cringe just about any time he is on the screen (Jeremy Renner is my new one), but do like the first 2 Mummy movies with him. 

Here's my list:

1. The Straight Story 
  2. Being John Malkovich 
  3. Fight Club 
  4. The Matrix 
  5. Jesus' Son
  6. Topsy Turvy 
  7. Galaxy Quest  
  8. Office Space 
  9. Election 
  10. The Iron Giant 
  11. Buena Vista Social Club 
  12. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 
  13. Felicia's Journey 
  14. Toy Story 2 
  15. Magnolia 
  16. eXistenZ 
  17. The Sixth Sense 
  18. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
  19. Go!
  20. The Insider
Revised list... hopefully all 1999 this time (pulled from wiki)
ALERT ALERT... revised revision made.

@KarmaPolice

Here's my list:

The Green Mile      30
American Beauty     30

Fight Club          25
The Matrix          25

The Straight Story    16
Being John Malkovich  16

The Talented Mr. Ripley 10
Arlington Road          10
The Hurricane           10

Notting Hill        5
The Bone Collector  5
Toy Story 2         5
The Sixth Sense     5

Magnolia  3

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 2

The Phantom Menace 1
Sunshine 1
Flawless 1
Arlington Road is one that I kept looking at for this... solid, under-rated movie. 

My list:

Fight Club - 30

Office Space - 27

Toy Story 2 - 26

American Beauty - 25

The Iron Giant - 23

The Matrix - 23

The Sixth Sense - 15

The Green Mile - 14

October Sky - 8

10 Things I Hate About You - 3

American Pie - 2

The Blair Witch Project - 2

Galaxy Quest - 2

I sent in via PM.  I was definitely influenced by being a college student who drank a lot back in 1999.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who will have my #1 film down as #1, although I think I mention it every time we have one of those "underrated films" threads.

I haven't started with the math yet, but here's a little teaser:

Of the lists I have quickly scanned through it looks like there are 18 different movies getting the top points out of the 22 or so lists.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not, just something that I found interesting.   

Arlington Road is on my list. I forgot about the movies Being John Malkovich and Toy Story 2. Those would have been on my list.
@simey - there is still plenty of time to adjust lists if you or others want to.  

I am going to slowly start working on the totals and lists, but it's not to hard to adjust some points here and there.  

@simey - there is still plenty of time to adjust lists if you or others want to.  

I am going to slowly start working on the totals and lists, but it's not to hard to adjust some points here and there.  
OK. Scratch the 15 movies I sent you, and I'll resend 20.

Is it too spoilery to talk about movies I saw on "best of" lists while researching and added them to my list of movies to check out from this year, but haven't seen on a list yet?  

Is it too spoilery to talk about movies I saw on "best of" lists while researching and added them to my list of movies to check out from this year, but haven't seen on a list yet?  
What's great about the album drafts IMO, is that people are actively pimping the albums they like- no spoilers needed. That promotes discussion rather than just lists of lists.

ETA...so imo talk about the movies.

What's great about the album drafts IMO, is that people are actively pimping the albums they like- no spoilers needed. That promotes discussion rather than just lists of lists.

ETA...so imo talk about the movies.
Is there that much discussion pre-reveal in the album countdowns?  I thought there was a little banter here and there, but most came after the countdown started.  

I agree that a movie draft would also be fun, but honestly I didn't think that would get as much participation as this format.  

Anyway, a couple that I had down as having been on my radar a bit as far as needing to watch are Ride with the Devil and Summer of Sam.  I know I've seen SoS when I was working at Blockbuster, but remember zip about it besides a vague feeling that I liked it despite not liking a ton of Spike Lee's stuff.   I love just about everything that Ang Lee has done, so Ride with the Devil has also been on my "need to see" list and has a Criterion treatment.  

Is there that much discussion pre-reveal in the album countdowns?  I thought there was a little banter here and there, but most came after the countdown started.  

I agree that a movie draft would also be fun, but honestly I didn't think that would get as much participation as this format.  
The banter happens more in the yearly album thread. Guys are regularly posting their top handful of albums throughout the year. and when it's an amazing album like IDLES, the live just can't help but flow

Anyway, a couple that I had down as having been on my radar a bit as far as needing to watch are Ride with the Devil and Summer of Sam.  I know I've seen SoS when I was working at Blockbuster, but remember zip about it besides a vague feeling that I liked it despite not liking a ton of Spike Lee's stuff.   I love just about everything that Ang Lee has done, so Ride with the Devil has also been on my "need to see" list and has a Criterion treatment.  
Was Ride the Ang Lee movie? 

Anyway, a couple that I had down as having been on my radar a bit as far as needing to watch are Ride with the Devil and Summer of Sam.  I know I've seen SoS when I was working at Blockbuster, but remember zip about it besides a vague feeling that I liked it despite not liking a ton of Spike Lee's stuff.   
I liked the music in SoS. 

Spoiler?

One movie that didn't make my list but did make an impact was "Audition" Japanese horror film.  Don't think I'd ever re-watch it as it freaked me out too much.  Maybe I should give it another try.

Spoiler?

One movie that didn't make my list but did make an impact was "Audition" Japanese horror film.  Don't think I'd ever re-watch it as it freaked me out too much.  Maybe I should give it another try.
That was a late catch for my list.  Definitely a turning point for me as it was the movie that made me fall in love with foreign horror movies and it scared the crap out of me.  

KarmaPolice said:
Good turnout so far - I think I have 22 lists with others like krista, rockaction, and shuke lingering and hopefully sending lists later.
I’ll definitely be sending one.

The Limey will probably be on there; The Straight Story absolutely will be ( just to comment on a couple currently in discussion).

Hov34 said:
Spoiler?

Both this and Summer of Sam are on my initial list of 82, but I doubt either can make the final cut.  Wish I could find a spot for Audition, though I never want to see it again.

Being John Malkovich and Toy Story 2 have to be on there.

ETA:  Maybe.

KarmaPolice said:
I'll be re-sending a list. Thanks for the patience, KP. 

Hov34 said:
Spoiler?

Gave this 30. It’s a classic and was wondering if it would come up. 

Users who are viewing this thread