What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Jonny Z dead at 69.

Fans in here are going to laud him mostly for bringing Metallica and Anthrax to the world, but for me I will just say thanks for breathing life into one of my all time favorite bands, King's X. Thanks Jonny and Marsha Z for giving the guys a chance, even though they didn't fit the stereotype of Megaforce records. You knew talent when you heard it! RIP.

Found out today that my favorite biologist of all time, E.O. Wilson, died on December 27. A legend in evolutionary biology and sociobiology.

Awwww. His Consilience is as close to a Bible as there is in my world. In it, he ascribed five qualities by which one could distinguish a pursuit as scientific: repeatable, economical, elegant, mensurate (always mindful of measurement) & heuristic (stimulating further thought). I can ascribe those same qualities to the man himself. Good night, Father of Mind. Rejoin the mad scramble of organic Earth with the same joy you found in every strata of life. You will ever live. RIP -

Sorry for your loss but that does bring up a question to me. Am I supposed to have a favorite biologist?
Not necessarily. I'm a biologist by trade (consulting, not research) so he had special meaning to me. If you ever want a really good read that distills biology down for the layperson, read his The Diversity of Life

Sorry for your loss but that does bring up a question to me. Am I supposed to have a favorite biologist?
a great thinker & writer who started out as a bug guy during his 'Bama childhood, so his expression ran thru the science he sought in that. his autobigography, Naturalist, is a great read even if you dont have a science bone in your body.

John C. Koss, who built the first stereo headphones and founded an electronics company that still bears his name, died at age 91.

The first pair of headphones I ever listened to were these brown plastic monstrosities (Koss SP-3xc).  They fit awkwardly on my kid sized head but they sounded amazing and was the start of my lifelong love of private high fidelity.

Ian McDonald, multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of both King Crimson and Foreigner, dead at 75

Played on "In The Court Of The Crimson King" (in addition to co-writing and co-producing it) and the first 3 Foreigner albums. He also played the sax part of T. Rex's "Get It On (Bang A Gong)".
i bought the 1st Foreigner album before anyone knew what it was solely because i read McDonald's name on the album cover. not my cuppa, but soon an easy giveaway.

the wind may not hear, cannot hear, but i heard yours, sir - thank you and RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh ####, this one really hurts.  Ive met Gary in the past, as one of Alan Parson's Project studio musicians from way back ("Limelight" - Stereotomy album). Alan certainly has an ear for greatness and Gary was that. 

Example 1 - age 75

RIP Gary

Remember the first time you ever heard Conquistador?

A classic voice - so wise, but always brave & ready. i was amazed by Procol's BJWilson - my alltime favorite drummer, who hovered over his kit like a witch's brew - so i never missed them when they came to Boston's Music Hall, but Brooker kept it real like no other prog vocalist. RIP -

A lot of good songs from Gary & PH, this is still my favorite.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ZNC3GIy7I

i wrote one of my favorite stanzas, about the quests of men, to compliment a friend's soaring guitar lick with Salty Dog in the back o' me gulliver:

Signals high, a course is called

All hands - Ahoy! - heed the siren of distant shores

While mothers cry, a line is drawn

And out shoot their one-and-alls, surer of courage than cause.

A classic voice - so wise, but always brave & ready. i was amazed by Procol's BJWilson - my alltime favorite drummer, who hovered over his kit like a witch's brew - so i never missed them when they came to Boston's Music Hall, but Brooker kept it real like no other prog vocalist. RIP -
Good call on Wilson the drummer. Perfect timing on his fills. Conquistador is another song that shows his talent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B0TQfpyYO38

mark lanegan  @marklanegan

1h

Our beloved friend Mark Lanegan passed away this morning at his home in Killarney, Ireland.  A beloved singer, songwriter, author and musician he was 57 and is survived by his wife Shelley.  No other information is available at this time. We ask Please respect the family privacy

mark lanegan  @marklanegan

1h

Our beloved friend Mark Lanegan passed away this morning at his home in Killarney, Ireland.  A beloved singer, songwriter, author and musician he was 57 and is survived by his wife Shelley.  No other information is available at this time. We ask Please respect the family privacy
Ugh. Absolutely gutted. He was the definition of a tortured soul. He had been sober for 15 years or so, and no longer had anything to dull the pain.  

Users who are viewing this thread