What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Championship Game - Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers (2 Viewers)

jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.

After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head
The helmets did hit, but he did not lead with the helmet ... therefore legal. No penalty. No fine.
The helmets were the first thing to hit. Anyone who isn't a huge homer or a moron can see that.

I have no idea if it should have been a penalty since I am not sure about the rules, but please stop with this "lead with the shoulder" crap, it's blatantly wrong.
:rolleyes:

Simms says that's legal? :rolleyes: Do I not know the rule correctly?
Not sure how you could think it was an illegal hit. He didn't launch himself. He even went in sort of sideways with his shoulder leading. McGahee just happened to lower his head directly into the path of the Steeler player's helmet. If McGahee didn't dip his helmet, he would have been plastered right in the gut and it's nothing more than a hard decleater. But he tried to get lower than the defender and their helmets ended up colliding because of it. Bad fluke play, that's all.ETA: Not a fan of McGahee at all, but I hope that everything ends up checking out and he's ok.
Intent has nothing to do with that foul. And I happen to agree with you, this wasn't an intentional hit on the helmet. It just happens, and safeties usually get screwed by the rule.

:rolleyes: to the guys in the crowd giving encouragement to Willis as they took him through the tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
that was an obvious helmet to helmet contact and should have been a 15 yard penalty and a fine. he not only hit him directly in the head he left his feet to do it.

If you lead with your shoulder, that doesn't mean you won't be committing a helmet to helmet.He led with his right shoulder towards McGahee's left, which directly lines up their helmets. That's poor technique. Left shoulder to his chest and his helmet is outside his right shoulder - good technique, safe and legal.
Of course he had several seconds to get all of that processed in the brain, regardless of what stride he was on, etc.Just stop it.
:rolleyes: Steelers are going to win anyway, why can't you just admit he lined it up wrong?He's going to be fined.

WOW, if we choke this one I will claim for the return of the chin.
What language is this?
I'm pretty sure Steelers43 said Tomlin's not a good coach.
It was conditional to giving the game away. But Troy saved the day.
Yup. Weak.
Why?
Exactly.
Pretty much

Steelers guy is bleeding out his nose. Pretty sure that doesn't come from hitting with your shoulder.
It's called LEADING with the shoulder. I'm pretty sure you can understand how many other body parts get contact when you're playing football. When even Simms says it's legal (not that I care much for his opinion), it's pretty good odds it's legit.
I'm not saying what the guy meant to do. But his helmet was the first thing forward, and it hit McGahee's helmet before it hit anything else.

I dunno. I'm a Steeler fan but that looked like a dirty hit to me. I admit I don't know the exact rule. I thought that if the helmets make contact, whether inadvertent or not, it's illegal.

jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head
The helmets did hit, but he did not lead with the helmet ... therefore legal. No penalty. No fine.
The helmets were the first thing to hit. Anyone who isn't a huge homer or a moron can see that.I have no idea if it should have been a penalty since I am not sure about the rules, but please stop with this "lead with the shoulder" crap, it's blatantly wrong.
Do you understand that the result of an attempted clean tackle could end up with helmets hitting (whether first or second)? That does not make it an illegal hit. He did lead with his shoulder.

For those begging for the 15 yard penalty, can any of you confirm that there is even such thing as a helmet to helmet penalty on a ball carrier?

Again, I'm pretty sure that helmet to helmet only applies to QBs and to guys trying to make a catch. They ruled the play a fumble, not an incompletion, which means that at that point McGahee was considered a ball carrier, and hence the helmet to helmet rule wouldn't be applicable.

I dunno. I'm a Steeler fan but that looked like a dirty hit to me. I admit I don't know the exact rule. I thought that if the helmets make contact, whether inadvertent or not, it's illegal.
:rolleyes:take a look at any football helmet and it will have paint from another helmet

jesus... he led with the should but somehow went helmet to helmet.. he turned sideways and still hit his helmet.After the replay should have been a penalty but I don't think he launched purposely to hit his head
The helmets were the first thing to hit. Anyone who isn't a huge homer or a moron can see that.I have no idea if it should have been a penalty since I am not sure about the rules, but please stop with this "lead with the shoulder" crap, it's blatantly wrong.
He clearly brought his shoulder around to deliver the blow. If he was leading with the head, he would have been squared up on McGahee instead of twisting/turning his whole body to the side.I like how YOU are the expert and EVERYONE who doesn't agree with you is a homer or a moron.

So if a tackler goes for someone's waist and the ball carrier ducks down and helmets end up hitting first, you would say it is illegal? I don't think so.

What language is this?
Yup. Weak.
Why?
Exactly.
OK dude.

McGahee didn't even bother giving the thumbs up as he was carted off. What a d*ck.

ETA: Joking, sorry. The tone doesn't translate well.

Definitely a clean hit, bang bang play and helmets hit but not intentional.
Just because it was intentional doesn't mean it doesn't warrant a fine.
Just because their helmets hit after the should lead does not mean it warrants a fine.
Exactly.The same group of people who regularly complain about how soft this country is becoming are the first to scream for a fine and/or a penalty flag during a professional football game.Oh, sweet irony.

Rather than banter this around, does anyone know the exact rule here? Can you inadvertantly tackle with helmets touching? Does it have to be deliberate? If there was no penalty, can he still be fined?

I think it was unintentional but illegal. Regardless of whether he led with his shoulder or not as Steeler homers with blinders on are claiming, the defender's helmet made contact with the receiver's helmet first. But bryhamm shtick is always funny, let it go.

Steelers are going to win anyway, why can't you just admit he lined it up wrong?He's going to be fined.
I hope McGahee is fine.But it's not a matter of lining it up wrong or bad intentions.It's split second play and Clark led with the shoulder. Sure the helmets collided, but that's why they wear them.It's football. Anyone arguing otherwise has never stepped between the lines.

that was an obvious helmet to helmet contact and should have been a 15 yard penalty and a fine. he not only hit him directly in the head he left his feet to do it.
Really? cause in this shot not only is the head-to-head contact not directly (head on), his foot is still on ground when contact is made.http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6968/photoxu8.jpg
Again, not an accurate depiction of the initial contact.Put up a .gif of the entire replay from that angle and you'll see a definitive view of the helmets hitting before the moment you've shown in the image you have.

If you lead with your shoulder, that doesn't mean you won't be committing a helmet to helmet.He led with his right shoulder towards McGahee's left, which directly lines up their helmets. That's poor technique. Left shoulder to his chest and his helmet is outside his right shoulder - good technique, safe and legal.
Of course he had several seconds to get all of that processed in the brain, regardless of what stride he was on, etc.Just stop it.
:thumbdown: Steelers are going to win anyway, why can't you just admit he lined it up wrong?He's going to be fined.
Like you, I'm an engineer. I like to get into details. I'm pretty sure opinions are allowed on message boards. At least for now.

What language is this?
Yup. Weak.
Why?
Exactly.
OK dude.
Tomlin got your team to the conference championship with a lead in the fourth quarter, and you were ready to jump off the bandwagon if they didn't close out the game because you didn't agree with the playcalling. Forgive me for not calling you a die hard fan.

So if a tackler goes for someone's waist and the ball carrier ducks down and helmets end up hitting first, you would say it is illegal? I don't think so.
As I said, I don't know the rule. Do you?

I think it was unintentional but illegal. Regardless of whether he led with his shoulder or not as Steeler homers with blinders on are claiming, the defender's helmet made contact with the receiver's helmet first. But bryhamm shtick is always funny, let it go.
Again, he was not a RECEIVER, they ruled it a fumble (not an incompletion), meaning he was a ball carrier.I've never seen helmet to helmet called on a hit to a ball carrier, and I don't think it can be.

:thumbdown: Steelers are going to win anyway, why can't you just admit he lined it up wrong?He's going to be fined.
No way they fine him for that play, no way. Led with shoulder, feet on ground, unintentional helmet contact, no way a fine will be given.

Go Cardinals
You are a tool. I hope bad karma strikes all of your teams.
What like the Pirates and the Penguins :thumbdown:
The Penguins and Steelers are fine. You got me on the Pirates. What have the Detroit teams other than the Red Wings done lately?
Pistons won the NBA title in 2004 and have been to 6 straight Eastern Conference finals. Tigers were in the World Series in 2006. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread