What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Championship Game - Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

I think we have the makings of a very good Super Bowl. With great weather, the Cards might even the playing field and give the Steelers a real game. No snow in Tampa since 1977 or so. Great D vs great O. Looking forward to it.

normally I would say good effort by the opponent (whomever it is on any given sunday that Pittsburgh undoubtedly destroys) but since its the Ravesn I say good riddance. What a sham team that was, covering up a rookie QB and generating about 80 passing yards a game in the playoffs. That team had no business anywhere near the AFC championship game. I hope they flew straight back to Bawmore to get the stink out of Pittsburgh.

normally I would say good effort by the opponent (whomever it is on any given sunday that Pittsburgh undoubtedly destroys) but since its the Ravesn I say good riddance. What a sham team that was, covering up a rookie QB and generating about 80 passing yards a game in the playoffs. That team had no business anywhere near the AFC championship game. I hope they flew straight back to Bawmore to get the stink out of Pittsburgh.
It probably takes a Baltimoron homer to appreciate how consistently hard they played in all 19 games this year. Every game was a struggle, even the ones where the final score may not have reflected the closeness of it. They stole one game from a better team in the playoffs and came close against a superior team that will represent the conference in the Super Bowl. They never took a week off (even in the two games where they were pummeled) and, in its own ugly way, it was pretty amazing to watch.Yesterday, they just came up against a team that does everything (with the possible exception of punting) a little better than they do. The Steelers have a better defense, better QB and better receivers. It mostly came down to Ben (playing through the pain) outplaying Flacco by a wide margin; his ability to avoid the first wave of the pass rush and hit a big third down pass was pretty impressive once again to me. I was also extremely impressed again with the Stillers' secondary. They had Mason and Clayton blanketed all night, much as they did in the earlier contests.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably takes a Baltimoron homer to appreciate how consistently hard they played in all 19 games this year. Every game was a struggle, even the ones where the final score may not have reflected the closeness of it. They stole one game from a better team in the playoffs and came close against a superior team that will represent the conference in the Super Bowl. They never took a week off (even in the two games where they were pummeled) and, in its own ugly way, it was pretty amazing to watch.Yesterday, they just came up against a team that does everything (with the possible exception of punting) a little better than they do. The Steelers have a better defense, better QB and better receivers. It mostly came down to Ben (playing through the pain) outplaying Flacco by a wide margin; his ability to avoid the first wave of the pass rush and hit a big third down pass was pretty impressive once again to me. I was also extremely impressed again with the Stillers' secondary. They had Mason and Clayton blanketed all night, much as they did in the earlier contests.
:goodposting: About sums up my feelings, too. The Ravens aren't good enough to make the mistakes they made yesterday against a good team like the Steelers & win. Even so, they came damned close until TP's big play.Congrats to the Steelers on a great season & good luck in the Bowl.

For the record, I'm hearing McGahee was held overnight but is supposed to be absolutely fine. No paralysis, no long-term damage, he just got his bell rung really hard. Great news.

For the record, I'm hearing McGahee was held overnight but is supposed to be absolutely fine. No paralysis, no long-term damage, he just got his bell rung really hard. Great news.
Yep. Heard this a.m. he's "neurologically sound".Man, there was a bunch of bells rung in that game. Corey Ivey got the snot knocked out of himself too - he probably still doesn't know where he is.

Went to the game last night and had a great time. The Steelers pretty much controlled most of the game but the Ravens stuck around to make it interesting. The Ravens offense really struggled and had it not been for two PI calls they may not have scored at all.

Being at the game I didn't have the benefit of being able to tell some of the close calls. By the sounds of this thread I think the refs must have done an okay job because the opinions seemed to be 50/50. The Holmes "no catch" sure looked like a completion from the field though.

Ravens fans: it looks like the Pitt-Balt rivalry is going to fun for years to come. I can't wish you luck but I will say that I've always appreciated the way the Ravens play football and I really think you found a great HC in Harbaugh.

As for me, I am all set for Tampa. I got my ticket, plane reservations, hotel and car rental arrangements all made. Hopefully the Steelers can come away with another Super Bowl win. Go Steelers!!!

Yep. Heard this a.m. he's "neurologically sound".Man, there was a bunch of bells rung in that game. Corey Ivey got the snot knocked out of himself too - he probably still doesn't know where he is.
Don't forget Davis knocking Stone out cold

Good to hear. I was coming to see if there was an update here because I still have a headache just from watching that hit.

steelers homer here with just a few thoughts:

i've been skeptical of this team since last year's draft but they've finally converted me. the steelers offense does just enough to warrant a super bowl berth carried by the defense.

having watched the two prior meetings on NFL network last week, i thought it was obvious that to be successful on first down, the steelers would need to throw the ball. clearly bruce arians has rocks for brains. the ravens absolutely stifled willie on first down all game.

that win was all about ben and troy. both elevated their game yesterday.

the cardinals offense scares the hell out of me especially seeing ike taylor make a horrible play against the ravens third WR. to blitz or not to blitz, that is the question.

will this be the "easiest" run to the super bowl in history, facing teams that went 8-8, 11-5 and 9-7 in the regular season? it must be.

and finally, to me that game was the super bowl. not saying that we're a lock next week--just saying that the importance of that AFC championship game seemed somehow bigger than the super bowl. this town (and mike tomlin and maybe the whole team) would have needed intense counseling had we lost to the Ravens. i'll be able to sleep if we should lose to the Cards in the big game but a loss to Baltimore...i shudder to think.

pecorino said:
having watched the two prior meetings on NFL network last week, i thought it was obvious that to be successful on first down, the steelers would need to throw the ball. clearly bruce arians has rocks for brains. the ravens absolutely stifled willie on first down all game.
Pretty sure Arians ran FWP on every first down in the 2nd half and on quite a few second downs as well. This when Parker was averaging about 2 yds/carry. I am glad that he did not abandon the running game but you have to do a better job of mixing it up.

I wasn't on during the game and don't feel like wading back through the entire thread, but was the roughing the punter call the worst you've ever seen? Especially when you have the running into the punter option available (and it wasn't even that).

Officiating just keeps getting worse and worse.

I wasn't on during the game and don't feel like wading back through the entire thread, but was the roughing the punter call the worst you've ever seen? Especially when you have the running into the punter option available (and it wasn't even that).Officiating just keeps getting worse and worse.
It was terrible. Just as bad as 50% of the roughing the passer calls this year, and roughing the kicker calls in history, and pass interference non-calls on WRs, and unjustified pass interference calls on DBs.

the roughing the kicker call was a makeup call. i'm just not sure if they were making up for the bad personal foul call on chris kemeotu, the questionable pass interference call from earlier or the questionable overturn of the holmes' catch. guess they figured it was time to throw the steelers a bone.

no doubt it was a horrible call.

the roughing the kicker call was a makeup call. i'm just not sure if they were making up for the bad personal foul call on chris kemeotu, the questionable pass interference call from earlier or the questionable overturn of the holmes' catch. guess they figured it was time to throw the steelers a bone.

no doubt it was a horrible call.
If that happened in the NHL it would have been a diving call.

FYI - Randy Cross 10 mins ago on Sirius NFL radio talking about the Clark hit on McGahee:

"You're showing your ignorance if you're making those emphatic statements like 'there has to be a fine' or 'there should have been a flag.' There's no helmet-to-helmet penalty on a runner first of all, and second, it's obvious he was turning his body to make the hit with his shoulder and McGahee ducked into him, causing the helmet to helmet contact. It's a bang-bang play and often it's impossible to stop."

both guys lead with their heads, although in real time i thought it was unintentional. mcgahee was just getting low for the big hit he knew he was going to get and clark lead with his right shoulder.

i am very happy that Mcgahee is ok, it was shocking to see him instantly lose the ball on the hit, meaning he lost the will the hold the ball on impact, not that the hit knocked the ball lose. Thats scary, you think the dudes paralyzed right then, and seeing him laying there with his hands in teh robot position not moving was worse. You never want to see that.

i hate baltimore, but not that much.

Anyone know wht "Cool" Joe Flacco's Passer Rating was yesterday???

I'm wondering if it was more than the 23 pts the Steelers rung up on the scoreboard.

Anyone know wht "Cool" Joe Flacco's Passer Rating was yesterday???

I'm wondering if it was more than the 23 pts the Steelers rung up on the scoreboard.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290118023"Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco finished with 141 passing yards, three interceptions and an 18.2 passer rating, the lowest in a title game since Daunte Culpepper's 13.7 passer rating in the 2000 NFC Championship Game against the Giants."

Franco Frrrannnnco!

We got a running game!!!

Sorry, God bless beer in the AM.

Im getting all nostalgic.

EDIT:

Ravens 0-3 vs. Steelers this year

Damn that feels nice to type.

All we have to do is beat the Steeler defectors/rejects and we have one for the Other thumb.

To all the Steeler haters, youre all just jealous cuz your teams suck by comparison.

the roughing the kicker call was a makeup call. i'm just not sure if they were making up for the bad personal foul call on chris kemeotu, the questionable pass interference call from earlier or the questionable overturn of the holmes' catch. guess they figured it was time to throw the steelers a bone.no doubt it was a horrible call.
Definitely a bad call but no points were scored because of it and it really didn't have any bearing on the game.

Franco Frrrannnnco!We got a running game!!!Sorry, God bless beer in the AM.Im getting all nostalgic.EDIT:Ravens 0-3 vs. Steelers this yearDamn that feels nice to type.All we have to do is beat the Steeler defectors/rejects and we have one for the Other thumb.To all the Steeler haters, youre all just jealous cuz your teams suck by comparison.
:goodposting:

Any Raven fans upset about their curios play calls in short yardage situations?
I thought we'd see a few more "well they sure dug deep in the playbook for that one!" type calls :shrug: I'd like to have seen Troy Smith in on the 4th down attempt, along w/a couple other packages--this worked earlier in the year, seemed to energize the team alittle when they did it

for sure, this 'thing' between these 2 teams isn't going away any time soon

for all that Flacco wasn't--18 rating and all--do you guys really think he'll play "like a rookie" and hand the next AFC Championship game to you like that?

...and I know it's water under the bridge, but I was uber pissed at the bonehead :thumbdown: by Stone

16-14, 7 minutes to go, ball on the 40---man I'd have loved to see that play out!

win one for the AFC-N Feb 1....we'll try to do the same next year! :P

Users who are viewing this thread