What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Championship - Patriots Hold Off Jags (1 Viewer)

Complaining about the calls and insinuating the Patriots have an unfair advantage is not a discussion.  It was a ridiculous post and rightfully deserved to be :lmao:  at.
Perhaps, but I think a short direct retort is always better than just laughing.  Junior make the comment earlier in the thread that toughness was not Brady's forte, which is definitely a :lmao:  comment, but instead of laughing, I gave a quick short answer that basically conveyed that.  But I get that in a game thread where replies are rapid, posts can get lost in the mix. 

I don’t care if you hate NE, but Brady going to 12 AFC championships with 8 SB appearances and at least 5 SB titles in 16 seasons as a starter is on another level. 50% SB appearances.  
If you are not a fan of the Pats you kind of have to be sick and tired of them winning (or straight up hate them :lol:  )  - but you should also acknowledge their greatness.  All the stuff you mentioned plus 7 straight AFCCG appearances is remarkable. 
When you factor in a hard cap, FA, & everything that makes it even more difficult in the modern era, it’s arguably the greatest dynasty in North American team sports history. I’d put it at number one.

BusterTBronco said:
The cheap shot on Gronk was the turning point of the game.  From that point on, Pats outscored the Jags 21-6.
It wasn't a per se cheap shot but definitely a flag.  And he might have had intent to hit him high, seemed that way but not enough to eject him.

I also think things would have been much better if they called the holding on the last Lewis run and let Bortles fail.  It was so obvious it borders on neglect not calling it.

When you factor in a hard cap, FA, & everything that makes it even more difficult in the modern era, it’s arguably the greatest dynasty in North American team sports history. I’d put it at number one.
I would put it right behind the Chicago Bulls with jordan.

For ten years from '88-'98, they won 6 titles and appeared in at least the conference finals 8 times and, honestly, despite playing in the era of some of the top handful of iconic players in the league, the only reason they didn't win 8 straight was Jordan decided to go play baseball and you could argue they could have done more had the team basically not been blown up after the '98 title.

When you play an 82 game season for 9 months of the year for a decade and have that kind of success, that is really remarkable.  That team was so good, the basically got tired of winning and started looking at other things to do and had internal conflicts.  But as a team, they were as untouchable as any we will likely see. 

Jags fans you have got yourselves a very nice young team.  Sorry to see it end. If the pats weren't going back i really would have enjoyed seeing them go to a Superbowl.  Won't be surprised to see them right back here next year. 

bostonfred said:
Jags fans you have got yourselves a very nice young team.  Sorry to see it end. If the pats weren't going back i really would have enjoyed seeing them go to a Superbowl.  Won't be surprised to see them right back here next year. 
They are one of the teams I could see actually elevating their game by signing Cousins. He'd thrive in that system.

As a neutral, I didn't think the refs were bad, but the premature whistle on Jack's fumble recovery was unfortunate. He wasn't touched, would have scored. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Same old refs helping the Patriots I see

theres holding on every play but majority of Jags penalties were on Gronkowski personal foul and the blatant Cooks pass interference

beat them or congratulate them

Shutout said:
BobbyLayne said:
I would put it right behind the Chicago Bulls with jordan.

For ten years from '88-'98, they won 6 titles and appeared in at least the conference finals 8 times and, honestly, despite playing in the era of some of the top handful of iconic players in the league, the only reason they didn't win 8 straight was Jordan decided to go play baseball and you could argue they could have done more had the team basically not been blown up after the '98 title.

When you play an 82 game season for 9 months of the year for a decade and have that kind of success, that is really remarkable.  That team was so good, the basically got tired of winning and started looking at other things to do and had internal conflicts.  But as a team, they were as untouchable as any we will likely s
The Bulls accomplishment was very impressive,  and probably the greatest individual dominance ever in a team sport. MJ had help obvs but in football you can’t go from below average to a world title off the contribution of one player. The Bulls progression took awhile but the Lakers won a ring in Magic’s rookie year after being 5th in the conference the year before, & the Celtics improved 32 games Bird’s rookie. Without nitpicking nuances there, I think it’s obvious it takes a greater number of excellent players to succeed in the NFL than the other team sports.

THE JAGS GETTING ALL THE CALLS AS USUAL !!!!

That doesn't matter. Delay of game is called one second after 0.

If the clock hit 0, and another second passed and no snap then it's a delay. That's how it's called.

ShamrockPride said:
JAX penalties: 6-98

NE penalties: 1-10 (on a kickoff)

msudaisy26 said:

Ghost Rider said:
Take it up with the mods. They made it clear in that thread a few months ago that addressed the state of the forum that quoting another poster and simply laughing at their post with an emoticon was not excellent and would not be allowed.  msudaisy26 did that at least three times in this thread alone today.  I love a good discussion or a good friendly argument; laughing at someone's post does nothing to further a discussion. 
I was bored so here you go @Ghost Rider.

The first one was because it was actually funny, sorry if that wasn't being excellent enough, but go back and look. I even liked his post.

The second one was because that is just ridiculous, a delay of game can't be called until 1 second after 0? Come on that is :lmao:

The third one was after the penalty comment, but in reality it was a :lmao: at everyone saying the game is fixed and it is always the Pats and the refs, it just so happened that was the last post before I was :lmao: at it.

Here is my last :lmao: for you and your whining about the refs and crying about other posters (especially myself), and telling us how great the Bills defense is and how you knew Brady was just fine. I will now get off your lawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
jabarony said:
I like BB. 

Brady is annoying but impressive to watch.

Kraft is a scumbag.
I haven't heard this one before.  Most of the wrath is usually directed at BB the cheater and TB the smug entitled doosh.  Please elaborate on RK's scumbaggery.

On the football front, I've never seen Bortles play better.  He was dropping dimes, and not for a great play by Gilmore this game could have ended differently.

Frustrating outcome for Jags fans I'm sure but their team played admirably.

As a neutral, I didn't think the refs were bad, but the premature whistle on Jack's fumble recovery was unfortunate. He wasn't touched, would have scored. 
From footballzebras.com:

"

13:53 | 4th qtr. Looking back to the fumble recovery by the Jaguars early in the 4th quarter, there is a question as to whether Myles Jack is down by contact.

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Myles begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery."

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/01/21/championship-liveblog-jaguars-at-patriots/

IC FBGCav said:
I also think things would have been much better if they called the holding on the last Lewis run and let Bortles fail.  It was so obvious it borders on neglect not calling it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w4pbAkkGc

Coles grabs a fistful of Gilmore's jersey at 4:51 on a huge play that led to Fournette's TD but the ref looking right at them mysteriously misses the call.

Basically, all the cry babies are talking out of their ###.

I'm stunned this day and age people don't know how penalties are called in the NFL. Fairly obvious if you watch games and see Peireira/Blandino talk about penalties/rules.

I thought that was an interesting call.  Lewis loses the ball, but appeared to pin the ball at an awkward angle when he was downed.

I'm stunned this day and age people ##### and  moan that the refs cost them a game when in reality they choked because they were playing scared.
This.  Jacksonville had the game well in hand and then proceeded to #### the bed.  The officials were fine in this game.  This is all one team choking it away.

This.  Jacksonville had the game well in hand and then proceeded to #### the bed.  The officials were fine in this game.  This is all one team choking it away.
It actually wasn't really a choke. They didn't play great, but not really that bad either. Jax made some plays down the stretch and missed some. Pats just outplayed them.

From footballzebras.com:

"

13:53 | 4th qtr. Looking back to the fumble recovery by the Jaguars early in the 4th quarter, there is a question as to whether Myles Jack is down by contact.

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Myles begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery."

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/01/21/championship-liveblog-jaguars-at-patriots/
People have the luxury of nitpicking every call with the benefit of instant replay, high definition and like a dozen different camera angles especially when they have an agenda.  In real time, I had no idea that was even a fumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w4pbAkkGc

Coles grabs a fistful of Gilmore's jersey at 4:51 on a huge play that led to Fournette's TD but the ref looking right at them mysteriously misses the call.

Basically, all the cry babies are talking out of their ###.
I'll bet you 1k that I can show 5 NE penalties that were not called. At least 4 on significant plays.
There were three on one drive alone.  No one is surprised at this point though, NFL is pretty sad. 

I'll bet you 1k that I can show 5 NE penalties that were not called. At least 4 on significant plays.
:lmao: I know you are successful in the corporate world, but you say some of the dumbest ####.  That isn't difficult to do for any team in any game.  

:lmao: I know you are successful in the corporate world, but you say some of the dumbest ####.  That isn't difficult to do for any team in any game.  
Ok.  Yes or no.  I understand your side.  But I think by not calling the game right they changed the game.  But now it doesnt matter, go no one.

In the end the fact of the case are, NE didn't make a mistake against the best defense they played this year.  Yep, makes sense on no level.

On the last Lewis run in the game.  Was there noticeable holding?  Only seen the play once but it was obvious to me.

Users who are viewing this thread