What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aging Men: what I do to feel better and younger (comment, critique, question, flame away) (1 Viewer)

Dark Matter said:
Pedicures are God's little secret to men. It took me 55 years to figure it out but I now get a knee down pedicure once/month. No, I don't get color or gel NTTAWWT😎
Believe it or not, I've actually never had a pedicure in my life.

I have had a few manicures before, but I’m not a big fan. Seems like a waste of money for guys and short nails. 

Last edited by a moderator:
offdee said:
I notice the SPF 46 moisturizer.  Maybe a little off topic but I've read that anything above SPF 30 is just overkill and marketing.  Any thoughts or knowledge into that?
I can't say.  All the products I listed were recommended in a consultation in the dermatologist's office.

Terminalxylem said:
Hmmm...I can see the aesthetic value of cleaning up the nails and calluses, but it doesn't seem like it would be a particularly pleasant experience. What's the secret?

Also, anyone ever try garra rufa? They're fish that clean your feet.
I’m training for an Ironman and constantly on my feet plus I am prone to ingrown toenails. I view the nail work as PM. I also have a runner’s knuckle on my right toe and the technician I go to knows how to pull, tug & manipulate it which relieves pain and increases mobility to the joint. The tech uses 2 different types of scrubs all the way from the knee to the tip of the toe and massages at the same time. I view it as completely therapeutic and an investment in my health. 

Terminalxylem said:
Hmmm...I can see the aesthetic value of cleaning up the nails and calluses, but it doesn't seem like it would be a particularly pleasant experience. What's the secret?
Think about how you currently clean up your own nails and calluses. 

Now, think about sitting in a comfy chair, while a Korean women does it for you. 

Believe it or not, I've actually never had a pedicure in my life.

I have had a few manicures before, but I’m not a big fan. Seems like a waste of money for guys and short nails. 
This shocks the #### out of me! :lol:  

The first one hurts a lil bit when they start digging out all that cuticle but it gets better the more you do it.

Manicures, yeah, don’t waste my time. All that shiny stuff just gets worn off the minute I start digging around in the dirt. :flex:

This shocks the #### out of me! :lol:  

The first one hurts a lil bit when they start digging out all that cuticle but it gets better the more you do it.

Manicures, yeah, don’t waste my time. All that shiny stuff just gets worn off the minute I start digging around in the dirt. :flex:
I'm a bit surprised myself actually, lol.

I've had some nasty ingrown toenails on my big toes in my past and I've learned how to cut them straight across and angled a bit to avoid.  Guess I don't want someone else screwing that up.

offdee said:
I just purchased this off Amazon. Looking forward to giving it a try. Appreciate the recommendation. 
I happen to be on vacation now on the Turkish coast and getting a ton of sun. This stuff has been great but I'm about to run out so I just ordered some myself. 

On ingrown toenails: I've had some bad experiences with them getting infected.  I tried a new podiatrist who fixed it for good and it's totally fantastic to not worry about it anymore.  Highly recommend.

Anyways, he numbed my toe so I couldn't feel a thing.   He shaved the edges of the nail that cause the ingrown condition, all the way back to the cuticle, and put something to kill the regrowth.  It took maybe a month to heal 100% but I haven't had a problem since.  The whole thing was painless, and an in-patient procedure.  Super easy.

I wish someone had given me that procedure 25 years ago.  

On ingrown toenails: I've had some bad experiences with them getting infected.  I tried a new podiatrist who fixed it for good and it's totally fantastic to not worry about it anymore.  Highly recommend.

Anyways, he numbed my toe so I couldn't feel a thing.   He shaved the edges of the nail that cause the ingrown condition, all the way back to the cuticle, and put something to kill the regrowth.  It took maybe a month to heal 100% but I haven't had a problem since.  The whole thing was painless, and an in-patient procedure.  Super easy.

I wish someone had given me that procedure 25 years ago.  
Ah damn, I’m gonna look into this!  Thanks! 

What do they do to prevent it from regrowing in that one specific area?

Also how long after until you can run again (for workout purposes)? 
https://www.healthline.com/health/ingrown-toenail-surgery  They put some acid or something on it.

When I sat down with him, he was like, "let's go ahead and take care of this right now." I was like, "don't we need to clear it with insurance and set up another appointment?"  Nah, the whole thing was easy.  It took maybe 15 minutes.  It seemed like it was routine.

- Derma Roller face with special moisturizing serums after:  do once every 2 weeks (every other Sunday)

- Microdermabrasion facials:   every 4 weeks.  This is not a relaxing spa facial.  It basically uses a tool to sand off the top layers of dead and damaged skin to expose fresh skin.  Forces it to repair itself and produce extra collagen.   It doesn't necessarily "hurt" but it's not a relaxing experience that most think when you hear facial.

Do you do the Derma Roller yourself at home?  If so, what brand/model and what moisturizing serums?

Facials are at a spa or dermatologists?

Do you do the Derma Roller yourself at home?  If so, what brand/model and what moisturizing serums?

Facials are at a spa or dermatologists?

For the every 4 wks microdermabrasion facials I go to a medi-spa type of person

For the derma roller...yes I do on my own at home.   Do it every 2 wks....don't do it more often than that or it can damage your skin.   Watch a youtube video on it for the technique.  After you do it don't expose your face to the sun too much for 48 hrs (or slather on your 40+ spf).   Also for those 48 hrs use ultra hydrating serums over your regular moisturizer.   Remember your skin will be exposed about 4 layers deep now and will suck up anything you put on it.

For the roller get a 0.5 mm needle for the at home use.    Added benefit of the roller is it's known to help produce hair growth so you can go over areas of your head, eyebrows and beard that need some thickening.

For the 2 serums use about 4 drops of each and mix them up in your palm before rubbing on.

After you're done your face will look and feel like you have a mild sunburn for about 24 hrs. That's normal...it's just repairing itself / producing collagen.

The roller and serums I use...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0932ZXRG6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_A3ND7F0VWPBHXN1Z01Y4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J1PBQ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_PVTGRCFKNPTS89M5P7Q2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3VDS2V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ZZZSPRW8MG233G0XKBQV

For the every 4 wks microdermabrasion facials I go to a medi-spa type of person

For the derma roller...yes I do on my own at home.   Do it every 2 wks....don't do it more often than that or it can damage your skin.   Watch a youtube video on it for the technique.  After you do it don't expose your face to the sun too much for 48 hrs (or slather on your 40+ spf).   Also for those 48 hrs use ultra hydrating serums over your regular moisturizer.   Remember your skin will be exposed about 4 layers deep now and will suck up anything you put on it.

For the roller get a 0.5 mm needle for the at home use.    Added benefit of the roller is it's known to help produce hair growth so you can go over areas of your head, eyebrows and beard that need some thickening.

For the 2 serums use about 4 drops of each and mix them up in your palm before rubbing on.

After you're done your face will look and feel like you have a mild sunburn for about 24 hrs. That's normal...it's just repairing itself / producing collagen.

The roller and serums I use...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0932ZXRG6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_A3ND7F0VWPBHXN1Z01Y4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J1PBQ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_PVTGRCFKNPTS89M5P7Q2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3VDS2V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ZZZSPRW8MG233G0XKBQV

How much does the microdermabrasion run you?  I checked here and get them for less than $25, and they said it's 4 treatments total, 1 every 8-10 days.

How much does the microdermabrasion run you?  I checked here and get them for less than $25, and they said it's 4 treatments total, 1 every 8-10 days.
I feel like that often would be way too much for your skin and not enough time to recover. My girl, along with the microdermabrasion also does extractions.   I think she charges around $50.  I’d call some other places and compare.  

I’ve been doing them every 4 wks for over a year now 

Agreed, it's all what you want to prioritize.  I was the exact same way where I didn't put importance on this stuff and finally just said this all comes first and the relaxation stuff is a reward at the end of the day after I accomplished my daily betterment checklist.   I legitly have a Word Doc pulled up on my work laptop all day and as I complete a thing I highlight it in yellow.   Once the day is fully yellow I can just enjoy whatever the rest of that night.  (copy and paste of my doc below)

MONDAY                                                                                                                                                24 weeks completed (started 1/5/22)

-          Testosterone, Vitamins & Anastrozole ½ pill

-          Kegel exercises

-          Positive Manifestation (15 mins, thinking/reading)

-          Workout (weights)  

-          Flex Belt (abs)

-          Teeth Whitening

-          Facial Smoothing (Gua Sha & Facia Blaster)

-          Ipamorelin shot for lean & muscle (9pm)

TUESDAY

-          Workout (cardio only)

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

-          Testosterone & Anastrozole ½ pill

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

-          Gonadorelin shot

-          Stretch

-          ** NO Ipamorelin shot today **

SUNDAY

-          Stretch

-          Derma Roller Face with serums  ** do every other week **

Geez. If you do all of this then you’re waxing + bleaching your starfish too

I'm turning 58 this year... pretty good health for my age albeit 30# overweight.  Flexibility is a real issue... will try to follow some of the recommendations here.

Some things that I do/take to help me feel "better":

1. Daily walks (2-5 miles)
  2. ACV - 2 Tbsp every morning in a cup of water.  Supposedly helps with digestion, appetite suppression, blood pressure, blood sugar regulation
  3. Intermittent Fasting (21-3 during the week) - Cell regeneration, blood sugar regulation
  4. Limited carbs during the week
  5. Fiber supplement in my coffee - obvious reasons
  6. Collagen supplement in my coffee - supposedly good for skin, hair and nail health, although I've recently heard that's bunk
  7. CoQ10 - Heart health
  8. Glucosamine - Joint health
Which particulat collagen supplement are you guys using?

The women kegel gets the most pub. But guys can exercise it too with great benefits. 

Can you please share routine?  Every time I tell myself I'm going to do them regularly, I forget about it after a day or two.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ingrown-toenail-surgery  They put some acid or something on it.

When I sat down with him, he was like, "let's go ahead and take care of this right now." I was like, "don't we need to clear it with insurance and set up another appointment?"  Nah, the whole thing was easy.  It took maybe 15 minutes.  It seemed like it was routine.

I had the same done recently.  It's an acid that is used down at the base to prevent further growing. 

By the way, it really has nothing to do with how you cut your nails, since the ingrowth happens down near the base.

Agreed, it's all what you want to prioritize.  I was the exact same way where I didn't put importance on this stuff and finally just said this all comes first and the relaxation stuff is a reward at the end of the day after I accomplished my daily betterment checklist.   I legitly have a Word Doc pulled up on my work laptop all day and as I complete a thing I highlight it in yellow.   Once the day is fully yellow I can just enjoy whatever the rest of that night.  (copy and paste of my doc below)

MONDAY                                                                                                                                                24 weeks completed (started 1/5/22)

-          Testosterone, Vitamins & Anastrozole ½ pill

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

-          Testosterone & Anastrozole ½ pill

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

-          Stretch

SUNDAY

-          Stretch

-          Derma Roller Face with serums  ** do every other week **

My god man.

I’m 56, in decent shape. I drink whiskey daily. I hike a lot. I feel great and look pretty decent for my age.

You may find, at some point, that all this #### just doesn’t matter. Accept aging. Accept yourself and who you are. Take care of yourself, but this just feels like extreme vanity.

Make sure you get some exercise and rest, and eat decently. The rest takes care of itself.

Once you stop caring so much about what everyone else thinks of you, your life will improve dramatically.

My god man.

I’m 56, in decent shape. I drink whiskey daily. I hike a lot. I feel great and look pretty decent for my age.

You may find, at some point, that all this #### just doesn’t matter. Accept aging. Accept yourself and who you are. Take care of yourself, but this just feels like extreme vanity.

Make sure you get some exercise and rest, and eat decently. The rest takes care of itself.

Once you stop caring so much about what everyone else thinks of you, your life will improve dramatically.
There's some truth in here, but there's also something to be said for "look good, feel good." It's not possible to negate the affects of aging, but there are tips and tricks to offset elements of it. For example, I use a beard trimmer to keep my eyebrows in check. If I let them go, you'd understand why. I'd need hedge trimmers at some point. Ear hair is starting to show up in spades. Tougher problem to tackle. 

I'm with you. I care little about what others think, but I do care about what I think, and how I look plays into that, in my professional and my personal life.

Can you please share routine?  Every time I tell myself I'm going to do them regularly, I forget about it after a day or two.

For me, I have a daily 15 min. of reading/positive manifestation where I just do them during that.  So, just pinpoint an everyday 10-15 min activity and just associate your kegel pump with that.

The article below suggests doing the sets 3 times per day, I don't do that, but basically the point is you can do these anytime and anywhere.

----

Kegel exercises for men: Understand the benefits

Kegel exercises for men can help improve sexual performance and improve bladder control. Here's a guide to doing Kegel exercises correctly.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Think Kegel exercises are just for women? Think again.

Kegel exercises for men can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which support the bladder and bowel and affect sexual function. With practice, Kegel exercises for men can be done just about anytime.

Before you start doing Kegel exercises, find out how to locate the correct muscles and understand the proper technique.

Benefits of Kegel exercises for men

Many factors can weaken your pelvic floor muscles, including the surgical removal of the prostate (radical prostatectomy) and conditions such as diabetes and an overactive bladder.

You might benefit from doing Kegel exercises if you:

Have urinary or fecal incontinence

Dribble after urination — usually after you've left the toilet

How to do Kegel exercises for men

To get started:

Find the right muscles. To identify your pelvic floor muscles, stop urination in midstream or tighten the muscles that keep you from passing gas. These maneuvers use your pelvic floor muscles. Once you've identified your pelvic floor muscles, you can do the exercises in any position, although you might find it easiest to do them lying down at first.

Perfect your technique. Tighten your pelvic floor muscles, hold the contraction for three seconds, and then relax for three seconds. Try it a few times in a row. When your muscles get stronger, try doing Kegel exercises while sitting, standing or walking.

Maintain your focus. For best results, focus on tightening only your pelvic floor muscles. Be careful not to flex the muscles in your abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Avoid holding your breath. Instead, breathe freely during the exercises.

Repeat 3 times a day. Aim for at least three sets of 10 repetitions a day.

When to do your Kegels

Make Kegel exercises part of your daily routine. For example:

Fit in a set of Kegel exercises every time you do a routine task, such as brushing your teeth.

Do another set after you urinate, to get rid of the last few drops of urine.

Contract your pelvic floor muscles just before and during any activity that puts pressure on your abdomen, such as sneezing, coughing, laughing or heavy lifting.

By the way, it really has nothing to do with how you cut your nails, since the ingrowth happens down near the base.
Interesting.   For me it's always on my big toes and happens when I round the inside part....and if there is just a sliver that's not cut all the way that will grow up into the skin like a little knife.    For the past couple of years I've had success using a straight clippers and just cutting my nail on a straight angle so the inside nail ends above the skin portion (so never has a chance to grow below the skin).  Looks like garbage, but I'll take that over the nuisance of an ingrown toenail any day. 

My god man.

Yep, totally respect this stance.   There's some vanity in there for sure, but a lot of it is just me experimenting and actually enjoying the research, process and results.   Over the past year I challenged myself to just do whatever I could to make myself look and feel better so it's been a little journey for me personally.    I'm a pretty structured and detailed guy so having a checklist and accomplishing it all everyday is good for my psyche, so might as well apply it to something that gets me healthier.

It's not for everyone, I totally get that, was just sharing for discussion purposes and if anybody is intrigued and incorporates just one or two of the things to give a try then that's great.

Taking a lot of this stuff and implementing into my daily routines.

Some stuff I can share...

I am about as flexible as a strand of raw spaghetti.  To help loosen up the hammies in the morning I start by rolling golf balls on the soles of my feet.  After that I'll take my wifes dumbbells, use the 4kgs to elevate my toes on the handles and put hold the 5kgs in my hands as I futilely try and touch my toes.  I'll do hammies, deep squat sits, upward/downward dog, pigeon stretch, and couch stretch in the morning.

I think it is important to develop the deceleration muscles to protect the ankles/knees/hips/back.  Tibialis raises, stepdowns, and nordics are great for this if you have the time

Thanks to everyone for contributing

There's some truth in here, but there's also something to be said for "look good, feel good." It's not possible to negate the affects of aging, but there are tips and tricks to offset elements of it. For example, I use a beard trimmer to keep my eyebrows in check. If I let them go, you'd understand why. I'd need hedge trimmers at some point. Ear hair is starting to show up in spades. Tougher problem to tackle. 

I'm with you. I care little about what others think, but I do care about what I think, and how I look plays into that, in my professional and my personal life.
This is so true. Look in a freaking mirror. Unless you’re playing Albert Finney in a play, for God sake trim your eyebrows. Your barber/stylist should do this anyway. If you can grow a potato out of your ear, trim that up. And don’t get me started on the foot long nose hairs.  Disgusting. Trim up everywhere. Unless you like your gal to have a bush like Dr J in his prime then think of your partner and get out the weed whacker.   If your back looks like Sasquatch, get it cleaned up. Especially for the summer months. My God. Aging doesn’t mean giving up. It’s amazing to me to see how many men just let all of that go as they get older. 

Moisturize and sunscreen your face daily at least, GB.   

I have "Get Mr. The Daily" lotion which is a moisturizer, spf 30 sunscreen and aftershave all in one.   It's hard to find good moisturizer with SPF protection that doesn't make your face all white (from the sunscreen).   This is a good one.

Nivea Men Maximum Hydration is also a good one that is a bit cheaper.  But, it's only spf 15.
I recommended the "Get Mr. The Daily" lotion earlier with spf 30 and gonna take that back after using it for a bit.  My main goal was to find an spf lotion that didn't leave your face looking all clownish white after putting it on.  All the reviews for this one stated that was the case, but for me I'm still getting that white haze.   And this one isn't cheap so wasn't a good purchase for me.    Will just use it before the beach or pool.

The Nivea Men Maximum Hydration is a good one though and goes on nice and clear...it's only spf 15, but still better than nothing

https://a.co/d/gil1RQm

I’ve been looking for a good one - just ordered.

I recently got the below nose and ear hair trimmer and it works great.  The head of it is different than others I've tried.  Put this thing right in your ears and it's like a little weed wacker.

https://a.co/d/0wKaZBq
Got it today. Holy hell!! This thing is awesome!! “Weed wacker” is a perfect description. My nose hair has never been this clean!

does the flex belt, or others like it, actually do anything?  Seems like a gimmick.  

It works, if you exercise and do everything else at which point how do you it actually helped. 

does the flex belt, or others like it, actually do anything?  Seems like a gimmick.  

It works, if you exercise and do everything else at which point how do you it actually helped. 
It does work (for me anyways).   It's a device that pulses and contracts your ab muscles.   Doing crunches pulses and contracts your ab muscles...so it just mimics that.  I feel it works on the abs because its an area that you can't really do much weight work with...it's all pulses and contractions. After the 30 minute Flex Belt session my core just feels tighter and more compact. To your point how do you know ab crunches or planks work if you exercise and do everything else?     

For anybody that's never tried Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother on the daily, I urge you to give it a try.

It could be coincidental, but for me, since I started it about a month ago, I feel like I'm always full and hardly have any big cravings for junk anymore (and I do have a sweet tooth).   I put 1 tbsp in my lunch smoothie and take these vitamins that have 500mg of ACV in it.

https://a.co/d/8LLKi8D

I know @Major takes a shot of it every morning with lemon and some other stuff, but it is pretty disgusting by itself (I believe suggested daily serving is 2 tbsps).  

Users who are viewing this thread