What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Airline passengers that recline their seat (3 Viewers)

Count me in the pro recliner group. The only time it shouldn’t be an option is during meals.

Also, newer planes seemed to have gained back a little legroom.

ETA I fly a lot of overnight flights. It’s nearly impossible to sleep on a plane, but reclining increases the odds.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. I think recliner outrage is more a function of Americans’ expanding waistlines than shrinking airline seats.
Not true.  There is less room now than there used to be in order to put more seats on an aircraft.  ETA it is true more people are overweight.

I know there is less room, but the outrage is overstated. Unless you’re well over six foot or 200+ pounds. 
Most flights that I am on are 3 hours or less.  No way in hell am I going to recline.  If I need to stretch I stand up in thea aisle and stretch.  I only sit in a aisle seat.  

Most flights that I am on are 3 hours or less.  No way in hell am I going to recline.  If I need to stretch I stand up in the isle and stretch.  I only sit in a isle seat.  
Almost every flight I take is 5+ hours. At least half are overnight. I don’t mind when others recline, so the golden rule applies.

Honestly, until the recent spate of enraged airline passengers in the media, plus threads like these, I had no idea people got so bent over seat reclining.

Regardless of which way you lean on this topic, it is 99% the fault of the airlines for reducing passengers' personal space to abysmal levels, increasing revenue across the board while offering absolutely nothing in return except less than before.

Depends on the airline.  As others have mentioned southwest is pretty good.  The seats don’t recline much.

on international flights it is bad.  Had a guy basically in my lap.  Politely asked him to move it up a bit and he was fine.  If he woulda declined it coulda got ugly.

Here is an incident that occurred on American Airlines and woman wants to sue the guy behind her punching her seat and wants the flight attendant fired.
regardless of recline or not...can we as a society just agree to stop this foolishness. Sue? fired? Really, thats a bit extreme. What happened to the the days of you just telling the Dbag off and moving on with your day. Yea, this would piss me off too, but I would never try and claim inoperable damage and long term sexual regression over something like this. We really have regressed to a society full of whiny, oversensitive p...ssys.

I saw this unfold on twitter and had to gently put my phone down when a bunch of users began claiming this was an act of white privilege b/c if this was a POC they would have diverted the plane, stormed the plane, tased him and dragged him off to a back room to be shot. 😨 Twitter is such a cesspool of uselessness 

have the twitter and reddit mobs identified this guy yet? He's a world calls #####, but I'm going to buckle in and see how absolutely ruined this dude's life will be forever. I expect nothing less then complete strangers not associated with the situations righteously burning garbage on his front lawn, organizing a sit-in at his company's office until the stock plummets and he's ultimately fired under the corporate pressure and begins a cycle of divorce, bankruptcy and homelessness so that everyone on twitter can feel like vindicated heros over this lady's life altering ordeal. 

Almost every flight I take is 5+ hours. At least half are overnight. I don’t mind when others recline, so the golden rule applies.

Honestly, until the recent spate of enraged airline passengers in the media, plus threads like these, I had no idea people got so bent over seat reclining.
Exactly it never even crossed my mind that anyone would care. Aren’t there enough things to worry about? I’m actually a pretty considerate person about most things but  I seriously don’t get it.

Same.

I have a feeling this is more of an American outrage thing tmore han anything else.

This is so clearly not debatable. 

Yes it’s rude and crappy to do. Shows little regard for others. 

But you also can’t fault the person in front of you for doing it. The gosh darn seat reclines. It is designed to do that. The power dooshs punching the back of the seat is the biggest loser on the planet.  The lady is awful too. 

But in the end, the right answer is that it’s crummy to recline, but you can’t go bananas over it if someone does it. End thread. 
Pretty much this. I think as a whole we all need to be nicer to one another (I know, not easy to do). If you decide to recline, might be a good idea to let the person behind know first. 

I always recline.  My back gets sore if i don't.  When i recline, i will glance back behind me to see if there is some sort of amazonian, or laptop or something - in that case, i may reconsider.  Also, when i recline, i do so slowly.

If it makes the person uncomfortable,  its on them to ask me to move.  Or have the flight attendant ask me.  I'm fine with either one and would gladly accommodate.

On the rudeness scale, I'd put reclining somewhere in the neighborhood of not letting someone merge in traffic or something... an inconvenience that could be rectified by asking. 

How tall? Does the person usually just un-recline their seat or is there pushback?
I just took a flight on United, with a basic economy ticket. Those are unassigned seats with no allowance for overhead bin use, pretty much bottom of the barrel. I sat up and eyeballed the leg room; there was at least 3-4 inches in front of my knees. I’m just a smidge below 5’11”, so you’d need to be well over 6 feet for it to be an issue, or have unusually long thighs. But as others have mentioned, space higher up is mostly compromised by seat reclining. Fortunately, my upper body doesn’t extend past my knees while seated.

I don’t think asking to recline is necessary either. Just do so slowly, in periods when your backyard neighbor isn’t deploying their tray for food/beverage service.

My rule is I only do it if the person in front of me does it and even then I only go about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way it can recline. Honestly you need a little space if the person in front of you goes all the way back. And I have said loudly to the person behind me, "Sorry the guy in front of me is all the way back". 

Also, I don’t understand the stance that some anti-recliners allow it for long/overnight flights. Either it’s OK or it isn’t.

Flying coach with the whole family tomorrow.  Not looking forward to that flight in coach.  In the past when we've done family vacations I've gotten us first tickets on my miles, but I've been traveling less frequently for work lately and we didn't have enough.  So, coach it is.  And we're broken up across three rows.  I won't dare ask the person in the aisle seat sitting next to my two older girls to switch seats with me, since I'm at a window, and I've learned the kind of dbaggery that goes on over an aisle seat.  

Otis nailed it upthread. 

1) Reclining inconveniences the person behind you, so when you recline you are making someone else’s flight less enjoyable. If you are a considerate person, you would be inclined not to recline for that reason. 

BUT

2) The seats are designed to recline. So you have no real basis for complaint if the person in front of you reclines, even if you deem it to be inconsiderate. So just suck it up. 

Again, this is just a repeat of Otis’ accurate take. 

Otis nailed it upthread. 

1) Reclining inconveniences the person behind you, so when you recline you are making someone else’s flight less enjoyable. If you are a considerate person, you would be inclined not to recline for that reason. 

BUT

2) The seats are designed to recline. So you have no real basis for complaint if the person in front of you reclines, even if you deem it to be inconsiderate. So just suck it up. 

Just suck it up huh.  Unbelievable.  Obviously the airlines need to do it for us. 

Otis nailed it upthread. 

BUT

When the person in front of me reclines their seat it doesn't inconvenience me at all or make my flight any less enjoyable. If I'm not already reclined, i'll probably recline my seat in response but that's it.

Just suck it up huh.  Unbelievable.  Obviously the airlines need to do it for us. 
Yes, if the person in front of you reclines (and doesn’t do so in a way that spills your drink or snaps your laptop screen), I think the proper response is generally to suck it up. 

IMO: 

VERY few people NEED to recline their seats on short (1-3hr) Daytime flights. Doing so during those type flights is inconsiderate as hell. It's perfectly within my rights to drive at 60% of the speed limit on the roads... doesn't mean I'm not an ####### for doing it.

I have a bad habit of bouncing my leg(s). If you recline into my knees at during the day, be prepared for your seat to bounce all flight too. I might even make a point to add a little gusto. 

Getting upset at people for reclining on red-eyes or longer flights is an entitled **** move. I wouldn't even get upset for someone reclining on a late/over night flight that was an hour long. Grab your shuteye man. 

I would have thought it would be almost impossible for the woman to come out of this as the crappier person, but...

Wendi says the repeated whiplash may have caused damage, given her medical history. She says she's had multiple back surgeries over the years and has titanium fused to her spine. She's worried the repeated blows might have damaged her vertebrae.

She wants to get an MRI but says it's too expensive. Wendi wants the airline to pony up the dough and cover her medical bills.

As we reported, Wendi also wants the passenger behind her to be identified, so she can press charges for assault. She also wants the flight attendant fired for the way she handled the ordeal -- giving the man booze, and threatening her.

Yes, if the person in front of you reclines (and doesn’t do so in a way that spills your drink or snaps your laptop screen), I think the proper response is generally to suck it up. 
Fixing the problem by not having the seats recline is a better solution than "suck it up".

I’m in the camp where reclining doesn’t bother me in the least bit.  But I’m also not very tall and cognizant that it may bother others.  Honestly the couple inches that it actually reclines does nothing for me so I see no point in doing it.  

IMO: 

VERY few people NEED to recline their seats on short (1-3hr) Daytime flights. Doing so during those type flights is inconsiderate as hell. It's perfectly within my rights to drive at 60% of the speed limit on the roads... doesn't mean I'm not an ####### for doing it.

I have a bad habit of bouncing my leg(s). If you recline into my knees at during the day, be prepared for your seat to bounce all flight too. I might even make a point to add a little gusto. 

Getting upset at people for reclining on red-eyes or longer flights is an entitled **** move. I wouldn't even get upset for someone reclining on a late/over night flight that was an hour long. Grab your shuteye man. 
Actually you're not allowed to drive under the speed limit if you're impeding traffic.

I would have thought it would be almost impossible for the woman to come out if this as the crappier person, but...

Wendi says the repeated whiplash may have caused damage, given her medical history. She says she's had multiple back surgeries over the years and has titanium fused to her spine. She's worried the repeated blows might have damaged her vertebrae.

She wants to get an MRI but says it's too expensive. Wendi wants the airline to pony up the dough and cover her medical bills.

As we reported, Wendi also wants the passenger behind her to be identified, so she can press charges for assault. She also wants the flight attendant fired for the way she handled the ordeal -- giving the man booze, and threatening her.
That’s funny. Although you wanna act like a nozzle be prepared for the consequences. Her seat was barely moving, he was doing it to be annoying not trying to beat the tar out of it.

When the person in front of me reclines their seat it doesn't inconvenience me at all or make my flight any less enjoyable. If I'm not already reclined, i'll probably recline my seat in response but that's it.
Well I guess it depends on the person. But for me, it makes it materially more difficult for me to use my laptop because of the increased angle (in order to see the screen, you have to slide the laptop closer to your lap, which makes it more difficult to type).  It also makes it more difficult to get in and out of the seat without bumping the seat in front of you. And it is also slightly less convenient if you’re having a meal.  And having less room in front of your face is also bothersome to some people (myself included).  And then there are the tall people with long legs. So while you may not be inconvenienced one bit by the person in front of you reclining, you should be aware that may not be the case for the person behind you. 

Users who are viewing this thread