What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Airline passengers that recline their seat (1 Viewer)

Just suck it up huh.  Unbelievable.  Obviously the airlines need to do it for us. 
I don't fly airlines that use seats that don't recline. Y'all no recliners can huddle in the cattle transports if you like

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixing the problem by not having the seats recline is a better solution than "suck it up".
Unless you're bringing the necessary tools on board our flight and modifying all the seats around you, that's not really an option for someone getting on a plane today.  If you want to lobby the airlines, have at it.  Surely some fat lazy mo will go bananas over the prospect of losing that 8 degree recline.

Well I guess it depends on the person. But for me, it makes it materially more difficult for me to use my laptop because of the increased angle (in order to see the screen, you have to slide the laptop closer to your lap, which makes it more difficult to type).  It also makes it more difficult to get in and out of the seat without bumping the seat in front of you. And it is also slightly less convenient if you’re having a meal.  And having less room in front of your face is also bothersome to some people (myself included).  And then there are the tall people with long legs. So while you may not be inconvenienced one bit by the person in front of you reclining, you should be aware that may not be the case for the person behind you. 
One of the reasons I justify flying business or first for all work trips.  It's impossible to get anything done in coach.  The seats are so incredibly small, the chub in front of my is reclined, and here I am like a T-rex jamming my arms back to try and type on the keyboard pressed up against my nipples. 

It really is criminal what airlines have done over the years to carve out more and more space over time.  We're hitting the limit though.  When I sit in coach now, my shoulders spill over both armrests, and my knees are jammed into the metal brackets of the seats in front of me.  

I have nothing left to give. 

I would have thought it would be almost impossible for the woman to come out of this as the crappier person, but...

Wendi says the repeated whiplash may have caused damage, given her medical history. She says she's had multiple back surgeries over the years and has titanium fused to her spine. She's worried the repeated blows might have damaged her vertebrae.

She wants to get an MRI but says it's too expensive. Wendi wants the airline to pony up the dough and cover her medical bills.

As we reported, Wendi also wants the passenger behind her to be identified, so she can press charges for assault. She also wants the flight attendant fired for the way she handled the ordeal -- giving the man booze, and threatening her.
Even if all that were true, then she would have responsibility to communicate that and advocate for herself as opposed to sitting there and letting him “injure” her. 

Oh yeah, I agree that the airlines can rectify the situation as you suggest. But until they do is where my opinion applies. 
For the record, I've never complained when someone does it, even if it means it hampers my ability to use my laptop or read, or eat for that matter.  It's still rude IMO.

Unless you're bringing the necessary tools on board our flight and modifying all the seats around you, that's not really an option for someone getting on a plane today.  If you want to lobby the airlines, have at it.  Surely some fat lazy mo will go bananas over the prospect of losing that 8 degree recline.
Over here in Europe the low cost carriers, championed by Ryan air, are using or starting to use non reclining seats. They are also making it impossible to sit comfortably in your seat without crushing your knees if you are 6'2"+.

Even if all that were true, then she would have responsibility to communicate that and advocate for herself as opposed to sitting there and letting him “injure” her. 
This while thing is starting to sound fishy anyway. She got the notice from the flight attendant. Not him. And now she is trying to capitalize on this. 

What actually happened could be very different. 

One of the reasons I justify flying business or first for all work trips.  It's impossible to get anything done in coach.  The seats are so incredibly small, the chub in front of my is reclined, and here I am like a T-rex jamming my arms back to try and type on the keyboard pressed up against my nipples. 

It really is criminal what airlines have done over the years to carve out more and more space over time.  We're hitting the limit though.  When I sit in coach now, my shoulders spill over both armrests, and my knees are jammed into the metal brackets of the seats in front of me.  

You know, back in the day, before in flight wifi and long life batteries (not to mention power plugs in seats), companies realized that the travel time, particularly intercontinental, was pretty sucky to begin with and there really wasn't much work you could do on the plane anyway, so they didn't expect it. Thank you airlines for making all our our lives better!

Over here in Europe the low cost carriers, championed by Ryan air, are using or starting to use non reclining seats. They are also making it impossible to sit comfortably in your seat without crushing your knees if you are 6'2"+.
Ryanair In Europe wasn't TOO bad last time I flew, but it definitely wasn't great. 

Now, holy ####, you want to see a cattle carrier... LATAM airlines in Ecuador! All hard plastic surfaces, seats packed in tighter than Ive ever seen. I get the average height in that country is 5'3" but come ON! 

This while thing is starting to sound fishy anyway. She got the notice from the flight attendant. Not him. And now she is trying to capitalize on this. 

What actually happened could be very different. 
As awful as this woman is, I can't envision any fact scenario in which I end up incessantly punching the seat of the woman sitting in front of me.

Ok, maybe if I'm 6 years old.  

Or maybe if aliens are set to take over and destroy the world, and I learn the only thing preventing complete annihilation of the human race is repeated punching of that particular seat on that particular airline.

That's it.  Literally, nothing else justifies that dummy's behavior.  I wish someone would have intervened, face punched the ultra annoying guy, told off the shrill old hag, and gotten a standing ovation from the rest of the plane.  

No kidding. She was so injured she just sat there with the seat still back and recorded it instead of moving. That was about as jarring as driving over train tracks.

Ryanair In Europe wasn't TOO bad last time I flew, but it definitely wasn't great. 

Now, holy ####, you want to see a cattle carrier... LATAM airlines in Ecuador! All hard plastic surfaces, seats packed in tighter than Ive ever seen. I get the average height in that country is 5'3" but come ON! 
Ryan Air has gone all hard plastic surfaces on their new planes too. I'm 6'2" and my knees took a day to recover last time I had the displeasure of flying them.
These days it's relatively easy to find a seat on a national carrier within 20 bucks of the low cost airlines, usually calling at a more convenient airport, so with the way things are going I only use the low cost airlines for becnhmark pricing purposes for intra Europe flights

I just find it astonishing that people are as dumb as they are.  I don't know why it surprises me.  But it still does.  Whether it's some dummy with a bunch of pit bills in his house that eat the neighbor's kid.  Or some dummy acting like a child and punching a seat in front of him. 

People.  Are.  So. Dumb.

Okay, driving 55 on a freeway where flow of traffic is 80. Stop being a pedantic nit. :lol:  
Actually most interstates have posted minimum speed limit, or at least they used to.  It used to be 40, but that would get someone killed now days, but could still be posted as 40 on some interstates, perhaps 55 on others.  Not sure what the limits are now on interstate driving, as I haven't seen the minimum posting in a long time.

Okay, driving 55 on a freeway where flow of traffic is 80. Stop being a pedantic nit. :lol:  
Depending on speed limit you'd still be impeding traffic, or everyone else would be speeding.

But to work with your analogy sure there are some people that drive a little slow and on a one lane highway that can suck, but what you can do, you just deal with it.  Same thing here.

I always recline and it doesn't bother me when the person on front of me does. 6'2 220 here fwiw. Virtually all of my flights are over 5 hours, on newer planes where the mechanism is more your seat sliding down and forward than reclining. 

Just flew an international flight for work last week in business class where you had your own personal pod with your own storage cabinet, shelf, ottoman and the ability to recline your seat to what is essentially a completely flat bed.  And then menu was absolutely delicious. Air travel is now ruined for me forever because there is no friggin way I would pay for those tickets on my own. 

Just flew an international flight for work last week in business class where you had your own personal pod with your own storage cabinet, shelf, ottoman and the ability to recline your seat to what is essentially a completely flat bed.  And then menu was absolutely delicious. Air travel is now ruined for me forever because there is no friggin way I would pay for those tickets on my own. 
I do these flights a few times a year, and yeah, it’s crazy civilized.  ANA just redid their business class to Japan, and it’s like sitting on a loveseat. There’s room for another average size person to sit next to me. So nice. 

Both people suck. And I'm super disappointed if AA truly did fire the flight attendant. 

If the person in front of you reclining actually makes it physically uncomfortable for you, it is almost impossible not to make it uncomfortable for them. If you recline on me in a normal coach seat (not economy plus or whatever) it pins my knees to your seat. So now every time I move at all, I'm jostling your seat. Twice in the last 5 years I've had someone get mad and turn around to be self-righteous. Both times I calmly said, "Sir, before you continue, why don't you look at how my knees are now pinned to your seat, then help me problem solve how I can move without bothering you. I've been searching for a solution for years." Each time the guy looked, turned red, and moved his seat back up.

This is so clearly not debatable. 

Yes it’s rude and crappy to do. Shows little regard for others. 

But you also can’t fault the person in front of you for doing it. The gosh darn seat reclines. It is designed to do that. The power dooshs punching the back of the seat is the biggest loser on the planet.  The lady is awful too. 

But in the end, the right answer is that it’s crummy to recline, but you can’t go bananas over it if someone does it. End thread. 
Correct. 

Unless the guy in front of you already has the exit row extra legroom AND reclines. Then it’s ‘passive/aggressive-bumping-into-the-back-of-his-seat-accidentally-and-repeatedly’ time. 

Also, I don’t understand the stance that some anti-recliners allow it for long/overnight flights. Either it’s OK or it isn’t.
Disagree.

I am 6'3".  I can and will deal with the discomfort of economy for a couple hours.  Longer flights it is very likely that I will need to recline at some point for my own sake.

Which is why I don't really get the need for others to recline on these 45 minute flights to Dallas, and also why it doesn't bother me much if they do.

Of course it's ok to recline your seat, not sure how this can this even be an argument.  If someone reclines in front of you, you can recline your seat for more room. If you're the last seat in the plane, that's just tough luck. Get a better seat next time.
Agree 100%. Horse #### it’s rude. Piss off. You can recline your seat too. Give me a break. Bunch a whiny pansies. 

Disagree.

I am 6'3".  I can and will deal with the discomfort of economy for a couple hours.  Longer flights it is very likely that I will need to recline for a bit for my own sake.

Which is why I don't really get the need for others to recline on these 45 minute flights to Dallas, and also why it doesn't bother me much if they do.
Getting up and stretching in the aisle and walking around some helps more than anything. 

While both the people in this incident and many of the posters here are showing their true colors as insufferable dooshbags, the really unfortunate fact here is that it is the deplorable state of airline travel that is pitting us all against each other.  If you pack that many people together in such a small, confined space, force us to interact with each other on the spot in sometimes confrontational situations, fighting for literally inches of personal space, completely devoid of any dignity or comfort - it should be no surprise there are shocking conflicts like this, complete devoid of any basic human civility.  I suffer from a tinge of latent claustrophobia in my old age, that is exacerbated by having to rub elbows and interact with ####sticks like these, which causes me to absolutely abhor airline travel.  I went from enjoying the experience in my youth, to now completely hating it.  I'll drive or pay extra for that little piece of dignity almost every time.   Thankfully, I don't travel nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

Yep. Delta One to/from Europe had me a little bummed when the flight was over, and I know they're not even close to the best business class accommodations. 

"sir would you like a warm towel and Champagne?"

"Should I wake you for your warm cookie in a couple hours" 

IMO: 

VERY few people NEED to recline their seats on short (1-3hr) Daytime flights. Doing so during those type flights is inconsiderate as hell. It's perfectly within my rights to drive at 60% of the speed limit on the roads... doesn't mean I'm not an ####### for doing it.

I have a bad habit of bouncing my leg(s). If you recline into my knees at during the day, be prepared for your seat to bounce all flight too. I might even make a point to add a little gusto. 

Getting upset at people for reclining on red-eyes or longer flights is an entitled **** move. I wouldn't even get upset for someone reclining on a late/over night flight that was an hour long. Grab your shuteye man. 
That little 1 inch recline doesn't really even make it any easier to get shuteye.  You tilt your head 1 degree further back but you're still sitting up straight basically.  The lost leg room is way more damaging to comfort than that tiny head tilt is helpful.  I wish they'd just get away with it altogether, or give us a reasonable amount of space back (but we know that isn't going to happen).

Just the constant rat race to increase profits.  Because making a bunch of money isn't enough.  Every company has to make more money than they made last quarter, even if last quarter was crazy profitable.  It's never enough.

The most annoying thing is when we get a big price hike when the price of fuel goes up.  Fuel goes way up, airlines jack up prices and say "sorry, our hands are tied we have to pay for the fuel".  Then the price of fuel drops back down and those prices stay where they were when the fuel was high.

Every temporary fuel price hike results in a permanent ticket price hike.  Ticks me off every time.

Yeah, there’s always a race to more profits.  That said, given the choice, I’d rather pay more and have more room. Charge 20% more but give me 20% more space. I’ll take it.  

Surprised the FFA doesn't have more former NBA players with so many very tall posters amongst the rank and file not to mention the dearth of MMA guys with so many of you dropping face punches or karate kicks to people who dare to recline their reclinable chairs. 

Surprised the FFA doesn't have more former NBA players with so many very tall posters amongst the rank and file not to mention the dearth of MMA guys with so many of you dropping face punches or karate kicks to people who dare to recline their reclinable chairs. 
I'm pretty sure most of those guys fly first class.

I use Frontier some, as I go out to CO to ski 3-5 times a year and they a) are cheap, b) offer three non-stops daily from Reagan, 10 minutes from my front door, and 3) are cheap. The flight there is 3.5 hours, back less than three, so not long enough to really agonize over. I am considering stretch seating for the first time on the next trip just to check it out. I WILL RECLINE.

Actually most interstates have posted minimum speed limit, or at least they used to.  It used to be 40, but that would get someone killed now days, but could still be posted as 40 on some interstates, perhaps 55 on others.  Not sure what the limits are now on interstate driving, as I haven't seen the minimum posting in a long time.
My grandfather once got a ticket for driving to slow.  He was doing 50 in the fast lane.  Cop called it dangerous. 

I use Frontier some, as I go out to CO to ski 3-5 times a year and they a) are cheap, b) offer three non-stops daily from Reagan, 10 minutes from my front door, and 3) are cheap. The flight there is 3.5 hours, back less than three, so not long enough to really agonize over. I am considering stretch seating for the first time on the next trip just to check it out. I WILL RECLINE.
 You inconsiderate farm animal

My grandfather once got a ticket for driving to slow.  He was doing 50 in the fast lane.  Cop called it dangerous. 
 It's very unsafe most accidents or near miss accidents are caused because people are avoiding people who were either not going the speed limit or the flow of traffic. 

It's very unsafe most accidents or near miss accidents are caused because people are avoiding people who were either not going the speed limit or the flow of traffic. 
When I lived in Baltimore I used to drive up I95 and most people knew how to drive with the flow of the traffic, usually around 80, and I never saw an accident.  You either adapt to the location or risk an accident.  You do that in the Midwest you''re probably going to get a ticket eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread