What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexander to vulture Portis? (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Was listening to NFL Radio tonight and heard that the Skins were saying that SA has 100 TDs in 8 years and that Zorn likes his nose for the goal line.

For us Portis owners have a bit of concern? I will admit as a Portis owner I did not like this signing at all.

I am sure that it isn't going to benefit Portis in any way... but I am also not too sure that it is going to hurt him. We will have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surpised to see Alexander fall behind Betts on the depth chart when he returns. Who knows.... maybe Alexander will actually try to run past the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be completely unconcerned. SA is injury protection in case Portis goes down.
He's not even that.NO ONE WANTED HIM. He got a contract because he's friends with Zorn. Period.Lots of teams want RB depth, need RBs, would love a good RB. SA isn't a good RB. He's toast. If he was a solid backup, he would have gotten a contact.He's RB depth, behind Betts. Maybe he has a little left. It's a cheap signining. It's no risk. It's his old buddy. Benson got a job before SA. That pretty much says it all. KJ on one leg got a job before SA. He might get 40 carries the rest of the year. Might get 1 TD. But without question will be a huge non factor. Not even worth a roster spot. Even if Portis gets hurt. You'd really start SA in the FF playoffs? lol. the guy has nothing left.

The one thing SA was good at was getting into the end zone. He couldn't make a 3rd and 1 between the 20s if his life depended on it, but put him 3 yards from the end zone and the guy became unstoppable.

Other than that, completely useless.

Portis is running better than he has ever run in Washington, and arguably ever in his career. Zorn loves him.

SA was signed out of necessity (because Betts is injured and Cartwright is not a very good RB), and because SA was cheap, available, known to Zorn and already largely familiar with Zorn's offense. I think Portis gets more carries, more receptiosn, and retains all of the inside-the-five carries that he would have had before (Betts got a few of those as it was).

In short, nothing to worry about.

No vulture. SA is the third back behind Rock Cartwright. I doubt he sees the field for weeks and then barely if at all.

The one thing SA was good at was getting into the end zone. He couldn't make a 3rd and 1 between the 20s if his life depended on it, but put him 3 yards from the end zone and the guy became unstoppable.

Other than that, completely useless.
That's true, but as a longtime Hawks watcher, that was in his prime. Not anymore. Zorn has a history with SA and that's a factor, but Jimmy knows who's buttering his bread with Washington now and its Mr Portis. He is not going to do anything to upset that good vibe, not the least by going RBBC or goal line vulturing. That zone is Portis country, and the head coach knows it.No worries. Just a case of life insurance, and a smart one by the Skins.

I would be completely unconcerned. SA is injury protection in case Portis goes down.
He's not even that.NO ONE WANTED HIM. He got a contract because he's friends with Zorn. Period.Lots of teams want RB depth, need RBs, would love a good RB. SA isn't a good RB. He's toast. If he was a solid backup, he would have gotten a contact.He's RB depth, behind Betts. Maybe he has a little left. It's a cheap signining. It's no risk. It's his old buddy. Benson got a job before SA. That pretty much says it all. KJ on one leg got a job before SA. He might get 40 carries the rest of the year. Might get 1 TD. But without question will be a huge non factor. Not even worth a roster spot. Even if Portis gets hurt. You'd really start SA in the FF playoffs? lol. the guy has nothing left.
Exactly

If by vulturing you mean running into the left tackle and falling down then yes.

Seriously, I'm sure he's healthier than the last time he played but he hasn't played a meaningful snap in a long time so his timing and game speed will take a while to come back. I think this is just a depth move-someone familiar with the offense who, in the worst case scenario, would be able to come into the game and, er, contribute?

Now this shows how the mighty have fallen.

I had Alexander, Portis and Ahman Green a few years back in a dynasty league and dominated with that trio. Now... at least Portis still plays well.

SA is a non factor.

Portis seems pretty adept in short-yardage himself. I don't see him being yanked for a guy that is well past his prime and benefited from a very strong OL during his time in Seattle.

I am sure that it isn't going to benefit Portis in any way... but I am also not too sure that it is going to hurt him. We will have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surpised to see Alexander fall behind Betts on the depth chart when he returns. Who knows.... maybe Alexander will actually try to run past the line of scrimmage.
I heard on the radio they only signed him to take Betts roles while he's hurt. Unless he plays great he could be release again when Betts comes back. I think he signed to showcase himself for a few weeks to try to land somewhere.

:thumbdown: I agree, if SA was a threat at all, had anything truly left in the tank, then why did it take this long for anyone to sign him? Seriously.

He may get goalline carries but it won't be because Zorn put him in. If you've watched Portis at all over the past three years, Portis plays as hard as he can until he gets tired. Then he pulls himself out. It doesn't matter where they are on the field. If he's tired, he comes out.

He's been criticized for this several times by the local media. If you didn't hear his on air fight with Brian Mitchell earlier this year, it's worth trying to find online.

Portis' stance is that he has so much confidence in Betts that he feels like it's better for the team for him to sit unless he's close to fully prepared. I'm guessing SA is going to play that role, although it's possible that Rock may. I'm a little surprised they didn't sign Marcus Mason, who had a great preseason. Is he on some other team's roster?

Was listening to NFL Radio tonight and heard that the Skins were saying that SA has 100 TDs in 8 years and that Zorn likes his nose for the goal line.For us Portis owners have a bit of concern? I will admit as a Portis owner I did not like this signing at all.
Come on SA is slow and old for his age.He is not even half the back that Betts is. The only problem Portis owners may have is if Portis is tired and he gets pulled for a couple of plays. Maybe a GL vulture here and there. Not much to worry about here.

He may get goalline carries but it won't be because Zorn put him in. If you've watched Portis at all over the past three years, Portis plays as hard as he can until he gets tired. Then he pulls himself out. It doesn't matter where they are on the field. If he's tired, he comes out.
Not necessarily true this year. If Portis leaves the game, he now always comes back in near the goalline. I wouldn't be surprised if he has all the team's carries inside the 5 yard line.

why would you even think that???

SA is garbage and has been for a long time

most overated RB in nfl history

Not necessarily true this year. If Portis leaves the game, he now always comes back in near the goalline. I wouldn't be surprised if he has all the team's carries inside the 5 yard line.
Betts has had some carries inside the five. They're rare, but they happen. One more thing to remember - to smooth the transition to Zorn's new offense, Zorn decided to keep the running game terminology the same from when Gibbs and Saunders were coaching. Only the passing game terminology uses the WCO verbiage. The reason I bring this up is that even though both Zorn and Alexander are from Seattle, the part of the offense that Alexander will be primarily involved with will use terminology that is entirely new to him.

From CBS:

Washington starting RB Clinton Portis did not practice with a hip injury on Wednesday and is questionable for Week 7 against the Browns. Coach Jim Zorn said that he expects Portis to play, reports the Washington Post.
WTF. looking for details now, I see nothing posted on the Post Web site either... at least it says he is expected to play but this SA signing becomes that much more significant. there was nothing about a Portis injury until this as far as I know.

They probably signed SA because he's "super smart" and will "fight his guts out". DC guys will know what that means.

I agree that SA is a non-issue so long as Portis is healthy. OTOH, it's hard to imagine any NFL backup I'd rather have if the starter went down. This guy is waaaaaay under the radar from that perspective. I get the feeling he could be had for a bag of chips.

BigJim® said:
I agree that SA is a non-issue so long as Portis is healthy. OTOH, it's hard to imagine any NFL backup I'd rather have if the starter went down. This guy is waaaaaay under the radar from that perspective. I get the feeling he could be had for a bag of chips.
You could be right, but I don't think he's under anyone's radar. Also, of all of Portis' potential backups to have as a handcuff, I'd still rather have Betts than Alexander. His injury isn't supposed to be that serious, and he might even only miss a week or two. In fact, in the one redraft league where I have a Portis-Betts handcuff, I haven't dropped Betts. We'll just have to see.

Tatum Bell said:
dgreen said:
Manasseh said:
Betts has had some carries inside the five. They're rare, but they happen.
Honestly, I can't remember one this year. Someone with access to the data dominator should be able to tell us, though.

Tatum Bell said:
dgreen said:
Manasseh said:
Honestly, I can't remember one this year. Someone with access to the data dominator should be able to tell us, though.
There's been one:
Code:
NAME 	POS 	YR 	RSH 	RSHYD 	YD/RSH 	FD 	RSHTD 	FANT PT1	Mike Sellers	rb	2008	0	0		0	0	0.002	Clinton Portis	rb	2008	5	13	2.60	4	4	25.303	Ladell Betts	rb	2008	1	2	2.00	0	0	0.20

Tatum Bell said:
dgreen said:
Manasseh said:
There's been one:
Code:
NAME 	POS 	YR 	RSH 	RSHYD 	YD/RSH 	FD 	RSHTD 	FANT PT1	Mike Sellers	rb	2008	0	0		0	0	0.002	Clinton Portis	rb	2008	5	13	2.60	4	4	25.303	Ladell Betts	rb	2008	1	2	2.00	0	0	0.20
:thumbup: Thanks.

Pigskin Fanatic said:
From CBS:

Washington starting RB Clinton Portis did not practice with a hip injury on Wednesday and is questionable for Week 7 against the Browns. Coach Jim Zorn said that he expects Portis to play, reports the Washington Post.
WTF. looking for details now, I see nothing posted on the Post Web site either... at least it says he is expected to play but this SA signing becomes that much more significant. there was nothing about a Portis injury until this as far as I know.
Link
Zorn said that tackle Chris Samuels (ankle), tailback Clinton Portis (hip flexor) and safety Chris Horton (ankle) all missed practice, but he expects all to play. Portis's hip remains sore, and he is unlikely to practice until the walkthrough Saturday, but Zorn remained steadfast in his availability for Sunday.

thanks dgreen, from that link:

Zorn said that tackle Chris Samuels (ankle), tailback Clinton Portis (hip flexor) and safety Chris Horton (ankle) all missed practice, but he expects all to play. Portis's hip remains sore, and he is unlikely to practice until the walkthrough Saturday, but Zorn remained steadfast in his availability for Sunday.
exactly what i was hopping to see. portis owners should check saturday just to be safe, but it looks like just a precautionary measure.

Since no one in here seems to back Alexander I am going on recrod now stating that Alexnader will hae a huge impact and will prove everyone wrong. Holgrem hated SA for years dont let that fool you this guy had the most productive streak in NFL history lets onot forget that...better then all the great over a5 year span look at the number Emmitt had one comarable 5 year streak and thats it. The guy should not be counted out...all these portis fans need to open there eyes and realize the Skins signed a much better version of Jerome Bettis. An argumetnt could be made hes the best goaline runne rin the HIstory of the league. I would pick him up asap and enjoy at the least another LEndale white type player this year with potential for more

Since no one in here seems to back Alexander I am going on recrod now stating that Alexnader will hae a huge impact and will prove everyone wrong. Holgrem hated SA for years dont let that fool you this guy had the most productive streak in NFL history lets onot forget that...better then all the great over a5 year span look at the number Emmitt had one comarable 5 year streak and thats it. The guy should not be counted out...all these portis fans need to open there eyes and realize the Skins signed a much better version of Jerome Bettis. An argumetnt could be made hes the best goaline runne rin the HIstory of the league. I would pick him up asap and enjoy at the least another LEndale white type player this year with potential for more
:lmao:

No way .... an great offensive line goes a long way in making a good RB seem great. what happened when the Seattle O-line diminished?

As a Seahawks fan Im curious to see how he runs behind that WASH oline. The last time he even had a good run blocking line, he was MVP.

As a Seahawks fan Im curious to see how he runs behind that WASH oline. The last time he even had a good run blocking line, he was MVP.
He also said in his press conference yesterday that he's now fully healthy for the first time since he broke that bone in his foot two years ago. He's supposedly in shape, so I guess we'll see soon enough.

lol at this entire thread.

no one is "vulturing" the best back in football.

especially not a guy no one has wanted for two seasons now.

-non-portis owner.

lol this thread is funny...

you have these Portis owners who are trying to talk themselves out of this possibility...

theyre going to use SA some how... you can't just dismiss this ... the bottomline is, no one knows his role yet. We'll all have to wait and see

lol this thread is funny...you have these Portis owners who are trying to talk themselves out of this possibility...theyre going to use SA some how... you can't just dismiss this ... the bottomline is, no one knows his role yet. We'll all have to wait and see
not a Portis owner but I am a Redskins fan. Alexander is the backup and will only be in the game when Portis needs a breather. The only reason he sees more than that is if Portis is hurt. The hip pointer should be ok, but if not then Alexander will get a shot.

Alexander is strictly depth. He might steal 5-7 carries a game depending on how good he looks and how he "contributes" but Alexander's goose has been cooked as a NFL running back. He might be able to be used in many other ways... decoys.. trick plays.. just having on the field might open the playbook to maybe attempt a wildcat because of his body size but for the most part strictly depth/role player.

have any of you actually watched how this guy runs the football...or lack thereof
In Zorn's press conference yesterday, he actually answered a question where he drew a distinction between Portis' and Betts' running style, and Alexanders. He said something that "if it's not there, SA won't force it; Portis and Betts will force it." He added that he hoped Portis and Betts would "have an effect upon" SA. I thought that was a pretty startlingly frank way of saying that he hopes SA is a tougher runner than he was in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread