What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (3 Viewers)

I am not concerned, they can be convinced along with the general public. It is kind of like gay marriage, at one point the political will was not there, and then suddenly it was. My parents are the epitome of moderate democrats, mid 70's white people who voted for Biden in the primary. A few years ago they were not that concerned about policing issues and things along that nature, a few weeks ago they were talking about racial injustice in policing and how the police need to be reformed, BLM, and things along those lines.

Also, moderation is a luxury of the middle class and the comfortable who don't really care if nothing changes. Stealing someone elses analogy (cannot remember where I read it), the millennial generation had the capitalism rug pulled out from under them during the 2008 recession, the even younger generation have never even seen the rug. There is no fear in burning down the system with younger voters because the system does not benefit them in any way, it is entirely designed to coddle their boomer parents - a generation that was handed everything, from abundant work with benefits to cheap higher education to social security. Yet they are now doing everything possible to prevent new generations from benefiting the same way they have by demanded tax cuts and other things to claw back every cent the previous generations had paid into them but that they do not want to pay into the younger generations. The social construct of previous generations leaving a scaffold for the newer generations to establish themselves has vanished. For generations it was understood that you pay a little to keep the American dream obtainable to the incoming generations, but when it got to boomers they were just like "nah, I would rather have the extra money".
What?  Where did you EVER get this from?  Do you guys just make up stuff as you go along?

Which do you think bothers you more and makes you feel inadequate, that she's a woman or that she's a minority?
So, in short, "YOUR A RACIST AND SEXIST!".  Is that it?  par for the course for the left. 

You don't agree with me - racist, sexist and everything else.  You guys got anything else?  Racism, sexism, homophobe have all lost their true meaning with you guys.  You use them like pronouns because you appear to be scared of dissenting thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in short, "YOUR A RACIST AND SEXIST!".  Is that it?  par for the course for the left. 

You don't agree with me - racist, sexist and everything else.  You guys got anything else?  Racism, sexism, homophobe have all lost their true meaning with you guys.  You use them like pronouns because you appear to be scared of dissenting thought.
No. Read my above response to this 

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) on Tuesday called on Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) to apologize both personally to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and publicly in a speech on the House floor for calling her "disgusting" and a "####### #####."

The Hill reported earlier Tuesday that Yoho had confronted Ocasio-Cortez on the Capitol steps the day before and berated her for recently suggesting that poverty and unemployment are driving a spike in crime in New York City during the coronavirus pandemic. He told her that she was "disgusting" and "out of your freaking mind," and as he walked away, Yoho added: "####### #####."

Hoyer called Yoho's behavior "despicable" and "unacceptable."

"Mr. Yoho owes not only the congresswoman an apology, but also an apology on the floor of the House of Representatives," the Maryland Democrat told reporters.

"It was the act of a bully," Hoyer added. "Bottom line, I think it was despicable conduct. It needs to be sanctioned." 

Ocasio-Cortez told The Hill after the exchange with Yoho that she had "never had that kind of abrupt, disgusting kind of disrespect levied at me."

Yoho, meanwhile, declined to discuss the encounter.

"No comment," he said. 

Ocasio-Cortez added in a tweet on Tuesday that she had never spoken to Yoho before he confronted her on Monday.

"Believe it or not, I usually get along fine w/ my GOP colleagues. We know how to check our legislative sparring at the committee door," Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

The Hill reported earlier Tuesday that Yoho had confronted Ocasio-Cortez on the Capitol steps the day before and berated her for recently suggesting that poverty and unemployment are driving a spike in crime in New York City during the coronavirus pandemic. He told her that she was "disgusting" and "out of your freaking mind," and as he walked away, Yoho added: "####### #####."
This is so strange. This is a standard conservative-liberal debate.

Liberal: economic conditions are driving crime!

Conservative: no they're not, it's your welfare state!

On and on, round and round, but such conversations don't land like this.

This is so strange. This is a standard conservative-liberal debate.

Liberal: economic conditions are driving crime!

Conservative: no they're not, it's your welfare state!

On and on, round and round, but such conversations don't land like this.
She really gets under their skin i think....the baby boomers think they are smartest people in the room

She really gets under their skin i think....the baby boomers think they are smartest people in the room
There will be 18 million newly eligible young voters every four year cycle, many of whom thinks she's the shiz. I think she worries old guard Republicans more than a little.

The old non apology apology

Yes you can apologize for your passion because your a freaking adult and adults don't act this way.  I know your leader has made it cool to act like 12 year olds but put on your big boy pants
This post seems a bit ironic considering what forum you're in.  I mean, it looks like it's been nothing but drama, hyperbole and end-of-the world tantrums for at least my time here.  I can imagine it stretches a lot further back than that.

I suggest when you tell others to put their "big boy pants on" and "stop acting like 12 year olds" that you should probably lead by example.  That's not happening in this forum.

This post seems a bit ironic considering what forum you're in.  I mean, it looks like it's been nothing but drama, hyperbole and end-of-the world tantrums for at least my time here.  I can imagine it stretches a lot further back than that.

I suggest when you tell others to put their "big boy pants on" and "stop acting like 12 year olds" that you should probably lead by example.  That's not happening in this forum.
Discuss the topic,  not other posters.

As the original poster, yes it was aimed at Yoho.

It's frustrating to see how much our acceptable adult behavior has shifted.  
True. However with last election cycle, and this one, it appears a majority of Americans are trying to remedy this.

Ted Yoho’s apology to AOC, offered as a masterclass
by Alexandra Petri
July 23, 2020 

“I cannot apologize for my passion, or for loving my God, my family, and my country! I yield back!”

— Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.), apologizing(?) to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.)

You may wonder, “Ted, how did you get so good at apologizing?” What can I say? It’s a gift. I’ve literally never done it before. Some (the recipient of my apology, technically) would say that I still haven’t! Welcome to my master class, where I’ll showcase just a few of the tricks that I employed in my apology on the House floor to my colleague from New York!

“Wait, I thought he called Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a ‘f---ing b----’ under his breath in front of a reporter!” those who heard this apology said. “But I guess what happened was that he said, ‘I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I LOVE MY GOD,’ in a very garbled mutter under his breath, and some member of the lamestream media badly misheard him!”

Most people say that a good apology accepts responsibility, acknowledges the harm done and seeks to make amends. This is not true. A good apology does none of these things! A good apology is like the Battle Hymn of the Republic: It is a patriotic song about America that never says it’s sorry, not even one bit.

To apologize or otherwise take responsibility for something you have said or done in the past is deeply un-American, and you must put your foot down and refuse in no uncertain terms, or an eagle will lose its wings.

Every good apology contains five parts:

1) What sounds like the beginning of a normal apology. Announce that you are going to apologize, because you are a bigger person. Do not be afraid to expatiate on all the ways you are a bigger person — there are probably lots! That is what the apology is about: to remind people how great you are, and how you have never done anything wrong, ever, in your life.

2) Denial that the event in question even happened. Try to obfuscate, because a good apology is full of suspense. Like “Memento”! And also, like “Memento,” your audience should spend the majority of it wondering (a) what even happened and (b) whether the guy in question did anything bad at all.

3) Apology for something that someone else did wrong. Now for the best part of any apology: the unexpected twist! “The offensive name-calling words attributed to me by the press were never spoken to my colleagues, and if they were construed that way, I apologize for their misunderstanding.” Wow! What even happened? It sounds like this man is magnanimously apologizing for somebody else’s misunderstanding — which he should not have to do! Whatever this guy has to say, I’m listening!

4) Panegyric about yourself. Be sure to indicate that whatever it was that happened, it was not your fault; you were too busy thinking Great Thoughts About the People’s Well-Being to do anything that could be unworthy of a patriot and statesman. Be sure to mention that you are a father of daughters, no matter what you are ostensibly apologizing for. Make it clear that you are only apologizing because you are such a bosom companion of Jesus Christ …

5) Refusal to apologize! … and that you will not apologize for any of these things! “I cannot apologize for my passion, or for loving my God, my family, and my country! I yield back!”

Now that’s an apology!

People should start your apology thinking they understand that you are asking forgiveness for calling your colleague a sexist obscenity under your breath and end it by being confused and thinking that maybe you are being asked to apologize for being too good a person, who loves America too much? By the time you are done speaking, your listener should be saying to himself, “Well, what could be more American than insulting a woman of color who is supposed to be your respected colleague!”

Sign up for this master class now for further tips and tricks! A few spots are still remaining, but they are going fast!

Coming soon: How to make the person you are apologizing to the villain in this situation if she tries pointing out that this wasn’t an apology at all.

I'm not her constituent.  

If I were, I always felt I'd back her opponent if she was primaried.

She's making me a fan.  She has "it" and has the ability to be a Force in D.C. for years to come.  

Users who are viewing this thread