What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

America is the best country on Earth, and there is no second. (1 Viewer)

No one that supports Donald Trump should be complaining about others whining.  That's all the guy ever does.

Biggest crybaby of all time.
The movement  made Trump.   Its started much earlier.  Trump adopted its platform not the other way around.   He moved Right, it started before tea party.   The republicans in general are being dragged it's way.

In many ways its a reaction to the continuous  leftward drift of the federal government and it isn't racial or sexist at all.    It opposes nanny govt. 

Until you start dividing things up.   Nothing is as amicable as a divorce with assets.
We can make this easy. You get the South, Idaho, the New England Patriots, and the San Francisco Giants. We’ll take New York, California (except for the Giants and all of Bakersfield and Fresno) and the SEC East. You get Kyrie Irving, we get Mike Trout. We can figure out the rest later now that we got the important stuff out of the way. 
What could be more fair? 

Yet they happen all the time and few lead to physical violence. 
That maybe true.  But recently in my area a husband bought the house next to his ex wife and a giant  sculpture  of hand giving the finger and pointed it at his ex wife deck.

But I concede that we could be the bezo's or gates's.

The movement  made Trump.   Its started much earlier.  Trump adopted its platform not the other way around.   He moved Right, it started before tea party.   The republicans in general are being dragged it's way.

In many ways its a reaction to the continuous  leftward drift of the federal government and it isn't racial or sexist at all.    It opposes nanny govt. 
I agree with the first part.

I disagree with the 2nd part - I think there is definitely a subconscious undercurrent of racism and sexism within the movement.  Its not always overt, and its not necessarily with "evil intent" - but I think it comes back to the notion that people want to associate with other people who look, sound, and think like themselves.

Oh yeah, and you know all those universities you hate because they teach leftist crap like CRT and how to hate America? Places like Harvard and Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, Yale… we’ll take all of those off your hands. 

We can make this easy. You get the South, Idaho, the New England Patriots, and the San Francisco Giants. We’ll take New York, California (except for the Giants and all of Bakersfield and Fresno) and the SEC East. You get Kyrie Irving, we get Mike Trout. We can figure out the rest later now that we got the important stuff out of the way. 
What could be more fair? 
Well to start.   You get kyrie.   I don't want the patriots.  But I'll take them as long as I get the Detroit Lions.   

But it's a good start.

I agree with the first part.

I disagree with the 2nd part - I think there is definitely a subconscious undercurrent of racism and sexism within the movement.  Its not always overt, and its not necessarily with "evil intent" - but I think it comes back to the notion that people want to associate with other people who look, sound, and think like themselves.
I just disagree.  There maybe tribalism but it's being pushed from the left.

The goal should always be equal treatment under and before the law.   

Oh yeah, and you know all those universities you hate because they teach leftist crap like CRT and how to hate America? Places like Harvard and Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, Yale… we’ll take all of those off your hands. 
Ok.  But you have to carve out their STEM  departments we want those.   And we keep all of Hillsdale college

I just disagree.  There maybe tribalism but it's being pushed from the left.

The goal should always be equal treatment under and before the law.   
Its being pushed from both sides...

And, I think the left would agree with your second statement - but disagree on how you get there.

I think from the Left-Perspective, what the right proposes is: "Stating today, everyone will be treated equally!"  But, that ignores that many people are handicapped based on historical prejudices and policies.  Its like knee-capping a competitor in the race, but then declaring that "from now on, everyone races on equal footing!"  

The left wants to undo the past discrimination so that everyone can be on the same level.  Its a big ask, because its hard for anyone to give up an advantage they currently hold, let alone, accept being "disadvantaged" to allow someone else to catch up.

Well this is a pleasant, somewhat surprising response. 
Well, I'm sorry.  I just don't understand the need to rush in and take a giant steamer on what I thought was a very nice story. A story that made me actually feel proud of our country - a feeling that has been in short supply for me lately.  The fella took the time to share his recent experience and create a positive post and the very first reply just bird doodoos all over the sentiment.  Gosh dang, man.....you could have just said "nice story, SW" and saved the Jeff Daniels' "America ISN'T the greatest country" rant for another thread.  

I've said my piece.  Sorry for being rude. 

They know this but look for anything to justify acting very similar to…you know who. 

Well, I'm sorry.  I just don't understand the need to rush in and take a giant steamer on what I thought was a very nice story. A story that made me actually feel proud of our country - a feeling that has been in short supply for me lately.  The fella took the time to share his recent experience and create a positive post and the very first reply just bird doodoos all over the sentiment.  Gosh dang, man.....you could have just said "nice story, SW" and saved the Jeff Daniels' "America ISN'T the greatest country" rant for another thread.  

If he had simply shared the positive of his experience I would have been fine with it. I love stories like that too. But he had to go and attack all critics of America, all people who want to improve us (especially on racial issues). That was the whole point of his post: blacks and immigrants shouldn’t complain they should be happy just to be here. I take strong issue with that. 

If he had simply shared the positive of his experience I would have been fine with it. I love stories like that too. But he had to go and attack all critics of America, all people who want to improve us (especially on racial issues). That was the whole point of his post: blacks and immigrants shouldn’t complain they should be happy just to be here. I take strong issue with that. 
I think you can only force so much.   Sometimes you move fastest when you stop and smell the roses.

And your characterization of the original  post is way off.

He was saying see we aren't just shifty.   We offer a lot and some people are grateful for America and don't just see the negative.

Try a shade of glasses closer to rose than the ones you wear to read currently.  

Well said. It’s hard to make a thread all about yourself though if one expresses the sentiment you suggested. 

It has to be more than simply whether or not it’s legal, no?  Because I’ve heard all sorts of criticism about open border policies. If the Democrats seized control and passed laws stating that anyone and everyone can lawfully cross our borders, that immigration would then be legal immigration. If we granted asylum status to all who seek it (including all the caravans that approach our southern border), that would then be legal immigration. 
I wouldn’t be thrilled with it, but you would be correct.

I think it went beyond that to suggesting that everyone should be happy and grateful to be living here as this is "the best country on earth and there is no second" (from thread title) and to stop all criticism and complaining. From the OP "So tired of the USA hate from people who live here."

I think it went beyond that to suggesting that everyone should be happy and grateful to be living here as this is "the best country on earth and there is no second" (from thread title) and to stop all criticism and complaining. From the OP "So tired of the USA hate from people who live here."
This is sorta true.    But one side usually starts with something  nice then says BUT.     It's not the critique.   It's the Neverending complaining.    And putting down of half the country as racist.     

This country have come a long way and is extremely  welcoming.     We are a melting pot.   E PLURIBUS UNUM is now E PLURIBUS PLURIBUS.

This is sorta true.    But one side usually starts with something  nice then says BUT.     It's not the critique.   It's the Neverending complaining.    And putting down of half the country as racist.     

This country have come a long way and is extremely  welcoming.     We are a melting pot.   E PLURIBUS UNUM is now E PLURIBUS PLURIBUS.
You start to make valid points and then include stuff like this in the post.  "one side" does not do this.  

To be clear, he didn't attack the critics of America, this was him relaying what he heard from all the people at the Ethiopian wedding were sharing.

So in this case, your issue is with the Ethiopian immigrants who are too happy with all the blessings the USA affords us all.

This is sorta true.    But one side usually starts with something  nice then says BUT.     It's not the critique.   It's the Neverending complaining.   And putting down of half the country as racist.     

That is an over-generalization. What has been expressed is that roughly half the country votes for those who support racist policies (see continued voter suppression efforts in many states) which is not the same as saying that they, themselves, are racist. 

It’s great when immigrants love their adopted country and have a positive outlook.

This greatest country in the world stuff can take a hike though. If you are well travelled and offer this perspective, fantastic. 

If I’ve only ever tasted Vanilla ice cream and Vomit flavored ice cream, Vanilla sure would taste like the greatest ice cream ever, but I would like to try a few more. Maybe these other ice creams have government funded health care, 4 weeks plus vacation, higher wages and a better standard of living? 
I do wonder what the difference in answers (if at all) would look like if we asked people who have travelled a lot or lived in different countries the question if we are the greatest country vs. people who have lived pretty locally. 

I've only briefly been to India and Europe.  Mostly just travelled around the US. .Not enough to have an educated opinion about the differences in countries, but what was eye opening for me was the people.  In India we were in some fairly poor areas, but most people were positive, friendly, etc.   Came back home and it felt the opposite - we had a ton but seemed miserable.  

Small sample size, and of course not everybody here.  Just was a weight I felt when I came back that I didn't like and stuck with me a bit. 

America is a shadow of its former self.  Identity politics has destroyed any concept of nationhood that used to exist.  Split it up I say.  Sometimes divorce is a good thing. 👍
I have been saying this for awhile.  There's a culture difference between  the right and left that can't be voted away.  Better to just agree to a parting of the ways. No need for a civil war which will accomplish nothing but death and destruction.  Just go separate ways.
That was a bad idea pre-civil war and is a bad idea now.  Our diversity of thought and disagreements have often been what makes us a great nation.  There’s alway been opposing cultures or political beliefs, it’s woven into our DNA as a country.  We are where we are now, arguably the greatest country ever, because we didn’t allow or accept the split before.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder what the difference in answers (if at all) would look like if we asked people who have travelled a lot or lived in different countries the question if we are the greatest country vs. people who have lived pretty locally. 

I've only briefly been to India and Europe.  Mostly just travelled around the US. .Not enough to have an educated opinion about the differences in countries, but what was eye opening for me was the people.  In India we were in some fairly poor areas, but most people were positive, friendly, etc.   Came back home and it felt the opposite - we had a ton but seemed miserable.  

Small sample size, and of course not everybody here.  Just was a weight I felt when I came back that I didn't like and stuck with me a bit. 
Family/Spirit > Money/Material

Tim - you are naive if you think the Left just wants to “improve” things.  There is a very strong radical element that wants to “redo” things.  They fundamentally hate America’s past.  That’s why they are trying to rewrite the history with things like the 1619 Project, tearing down statues, changing school names, protesting the national anthem and disrespecting the flag, CRT…. We are much further along the divorce timeline than people realize.  I think both sides have realized the differences are irreconcilable and perhaps it would be best to just split things up.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing either.  I’d be happy to move down South if it meant not having to deal with all the Liberal lunacy.  You guys get the West coast, the Northeast and upper Midwest.  As a bonus we’ll redirect all the southern immigration so that it flows through CA.  Cheap labor galore.  

That was a bad idea pre-civil war and is a bad idea now.  Our diversity of thought and disagreements have often been what makes us a great nation.  There’s alway been opposing cultures or political beliefs, it’s woven into our DNA as a country.  We are where we are now, arguably the greatest country ever, because we didn’t allow or accept the split before.  
Fallacy.  Diversity = conflict.  It’s really that simple.  And as quick-hands noted above this is the reason nation-states are formed. Humans crave the sense of security that comes with having neighbors and countrymen who share the same core beliefs.  It’s human nature.

Yup.   That was my point earlier about how somebody might not measure US = #1 because we have the most millionaires.  
Yah, not sure how to think about this.

US vs Ethiopia.  US is an economic Ferrari compared to Ethiopia Corolla.  If the dude driving the Corolla is ecstatic because of family spirit despite the economic disadvantages....but the dude driving the Ferrari is miserable despite the economic advantages.  Is that "the country's" fault? 

Probable best way to capture that...should we try to be more like Ethiopia in our standard of living?  Do we feel Ethiopia is are a more liberal society than the US and that drives their happiness?

That’s fine, but the history of the world is on my side.
I was mostly just busting’ your chops as that phrase as become a favorite in this thread. Hence the winking emoji.  

But I do truly believe my statement, and the fact that the rest of history is on your side proves my point.  We’ve allowed the diversity of thought to happen better then anyone before, it’s challenged us to be better and because of it we’ve become the best version of any “nation” that’s existed yet.  

They fundamentally hate America’s past.  That’s why they are trying to rewrite the history with things like the 1619 Project, tearing down statues, changing school names, protesting the national anthem and disrespecting the flag, CRT
I think this is a step too far.

I think most on the left simply want America to acknowledge the past - both the good and the bad.  We, as a society, like to focus on the good, while sweeping the bad under the rug.  I don't think that is healthy - and leads to some of the distorted views we see today.

And "re-writing" history is technically correct - they want to add to the existing narrative.  But, its fundamentally wrong - since it implies changing history to something that did not happen.  

In a very short time period (in historical perspectives), we, as a country, have done some really bad things - we have wiped out cultures, we enshrined the concept of slavery in our constitution, we continued to treat some people as 2nd class citizens - for the vast majority of the life of the country.  We can't just gloss over this things because they are uncomfortable.

We’ve allowed the diversity of thought to happen better then anyone before,
Obviously this is subjective - but far greater civilizations than the US have incorporated diversity within that civilization for much longer periods of time than the US.

The Roman Empire comes top of mind.  But there are other civilizations who, as they expanded, adopted and incorporated  diverse viewpoints and citizens.

Obviously this is subjective - but far greater civilizations than the US have incorporated diversity within that civilization for much longer periods of time than the US.

The Roman Empire comes top of mind.  But there are other civilizations who, as they expanded, adopted and incorporated  diverse viewpoints and citizens.
Which, is weird, because Rome had, y'know, all kinds of SLAVES.

So diverse!  We should emulate Rome.

Which, is weird, because Rome had, y'know, all kinds of SLAVES.

So diverse!  We should emulate Rome.

Yes, and the Roman Empire collapsed, as will, eventually, the US.

Unless people change.  And if this board is any indication (I know that it is not...) people are not going to change, and come together, absent a compelling reason.  We have been in internal conflict for much of our history, coming together during times of distress (wars).

Yeah I disagree with the comparisons to Rome and their freedoms of thoughts.  The wrong thoughts could get you killed by the state. A disagreement with whoever was in power could have your land grabbed and your family killed, as many Roman leaders did but most notably their greatest leader ever Augustus. To fund a war he had 2000 Romans citizens killed and their land and possessions confiscated, these were chiefly people who he had disagreements with. That doesn’t exactly speak to freedom or diversity of thought.  

Yah, not sure how to think about this.

US vs Ethiopia.  US is an economic Ferrari compared to Ethiopia Corolla.  If the dude driving the Corolla is ecstatic because of family spirit despite the economic disadvantages....but the dude driving the Ferrari is miserable despite the economic advantages.  Is that "the country's" fault? 

Probable best way to capture that...should we try to be more like Ethiopia in our standard of living?  Do we feel Ethiopia is are a more liberal society than the US and that drives their happiness?
Not 100% either fault, IMO.   the person needs some awareness and perspective, but we also foster a feeling of work, work, work then buy, buy, buy in our country.  I think we all probably agree that family time, vacations, relaxing, etc have taken a bit of a backseat in the US.  

You are wrong again.  I never attacked "all" critics.   So this comment is rejected as well.

I think you post so fast and so often here to all threads that you fail to actually read and think about your responses.  

Users who are viewing this thread