What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Killing Of Police Officers At the Hands of Criminals (3 Viewers)

I believe there have been 10 officers killed by gunfire this year. I believe there have been close to 500 people killed by police this year.

:shrug:
Not true at all. Last year 126 police officers were killed. Law enforcement kills about 1000 criminals per year. So about a 10/1 ratio. If you want to just use police officers from like a squad car if would be closer to 5 or 6 to 1. That ratio is disturbing. No way I would ever be a police officer.
Per 2008, there are around 120,000 police officers in the USA. So you would have an .001% chance of being killed. Your odds of dying in a freeway accident might be worse.
:confused:
Tim's calculator is broken and he tried to do that math in his head.

I believe there have been 10 officers killed by gunfire this year. I believe there have been close to 500 people killed by police this year.

Not true at all. Last year 126 police officers were killed. Law enforcement kills about 1000 criminals per year. So about a 10/1 ratio. If you want to just use police officers from like a squad car if would be closer to 5 or 6 to 1. That ratio is disturbing. No way I would ever be a police officer.
How many non-criminals are killed by law enforcement a year?
I'll go with zero.
That's a weird number to pick.

Per 2008, there are around 120,000 police officers in the USA. So you would have an .001% chance of being killed. Your odds of dying in a freeway accident might be worse.
Close. .01%

Close. .01%
Only the 120,000 is flat wrong. That's just the number of FEDERAL officers. It's right on the wiki page which is where Tim probably got the data. There were another 765,000 sworn state and local full-time officers in 2008. Plus 44,000 part-time sworn officers.

Close. .01%
Getting closer . . .

Close. .01%
Getting closer . . .
No, he did the math wrong. it was actually .0001, or .01%

Last edited by a moderator:

Close. .01%
Only the 120,000 is flat wrong. That's just the number of FEDERAL officers. It's right on the wiki page which is where Tim probably got the data. There were another 765,000 sworn state and local full-time officers in 2008. Plus 44,000 part-time sworn officers.
The part time ones don't count. They're 70 years old and think their guns are tasers.

Federal officers appear to have a much safer job:

Six federal officers, five officers from U.S. territories, two tribal officers, two
correctional officers and a military officer were killed in 2014.
However, the number of police killed in felonious incidents was half the 126 number:

Sixty-two officers were killed in felonious incidents.

Close. .01%
Getting closer . . .
No, he did the math wrong. it was actually .0001, or .01%
Strike two.

How many non-criminals are killed by law enforcement a year?
I'll go with zero.
That's a weird number to pick.
Not really.

Police on the scene where an Omaha police officer was injured in a shooting; a suspect was also transported to the hospital - @MattSmithWOWT

Omaha Police confirm 7-year veteran officer, identified as Kerrie Orozco, has died after being shot in line of duty - @JoeChiodohttp://www.breakingnews.com/t/BJLl
Reading reports that she had a baby recently. Sad situation.
She had a baby on February 17th. The baby has been in the hospital since birth and was due to come home tomorrow.

Funny how the news works today - no indication in any articles as to the race of the cop and the race of the suspect. Probably because it was a black suspect killing a white cop.

Funny how the news works today - no indication in any articles as to the race of the cop and the race of the suspect. Probably because it was a black suspect killing a white cop.
Reports are the shooter was a known gang member. Officer was a detective with the North Gang Suppression Squad. She was serving a warrant at the time of the shooting.

A quick check of CNN and USA Today's website shows zero reporting on the shooting in Omaha. Fox News was the only one that acknowledge the incident.

Cop killer has been identified as Tremaine Wilburn and the manhunt is on. He was selling drugs at the scene and was on parole for bank robbery. CNN won't identify his race because, well, we know why. He's a black male 29 years old and his picture was disseminated to media over an hour ago, though it's only been posted on Twitter. http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/us/memphis-officer-killed-traffic-stop/

Last edited:
  • Smile
Reactions: RBM
CNN just updated their website with a picture of the killer. That's a good thing, seeing as he is at large, armed and dangerous.

Cop killer has been identified as Tremaine Wilburn and the manhunt is on. He was selling drugs at the scene and was on parole for bank robbery. CNN won't identify his race because, well, we know why. He's a black male 29 years old and his picture was disseminated to media over an hour ago, though it's only been posted on Twitter. http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/us/memphis-officer-killed-traffic-stop/
It will be crickets on this from the lefties.
They'll roll their eyes and laugh like ####### jackasses. The usual shtick.

It will be crickets on this from the lefties.
They'll roll their eyes and laugh like ####### jackasses. The usual shtick.
Yeah, I've had it with that schtick, too, in the general sense. It's freaking old.

Quote from the Memphis police chief really hits home. Something to the effect of these officers have rules of engagement they must follow, though they at any point in a 24 hour day may face those who follow no rules.

Quote from the Memphis police chief really hits home. Something to the effect of these officers have rules of engagement they must follow, though they at any point in a 24 hour day may face those who follow no rules.
So just in case shoot first and figure out the rest later

You're pathetic!
Cops know the rules before they become cops (though many don't follow those rules). They also have bullet proof gear. It sucks for anyone to get shot but cops should rarely fire the first shot.

You're pathetic!
Cops know the rules before they become cops (though many don't follow those rules). They also have bullet proof gear. It sucks for anyone to get shot but cops should rarely fire the first shot.
WTF?

Wow. The sense of empathy for the dead cop here is palpable.
im not talking about the officer that was shot...im responding to the quote about about rules of engagement...i would never make make light of a cop being killed

im not talking about the officer that was shot...im responding to the quote about about rules of engagement...i would never make make light of a cop being killed
You keep coming across as an ###

why because i believe that the police should be held to a higher standard than the common thugs they look like in a lot of the videos ?

why because i believe that the police should be held to a higher standard than the common thugs they look like in a lot of the videos ?
Yes...the common thugs comment helped prove my point.

take your blinders off

take your blinders off
:lmao: this coming from you :lmao:

take your blinders off
:lmao: this coming from you :lmao:
awww...golly jeez beaver...im sorry ...i didnt realize i was discussing this topic with a cop...or wannabe cop...well in any case enjoy your night ...hugs

You're pathetic!
WTF?
Cops shouldn't have "no rules". And they know this going in. Is it really as hard for you to comprehend as it seems?

Perhaps if he was a black cop there would be more empathy.

Perhaps if he was a black cop there would be more empathy.
I'm not sure. I think the negative connotation of a cop is stronger than the positive effect of being black.

You're pathetic!
So cops should have to dodge a bullet first before defending themselves? Why? Where in "the rules" does it say that??

You're pathetic!
So cops should have to dodge a bullet first before defending themselves? Why? Where in "the rules" does it say that??
Cops should not be shooting unarmed people over and over and over like they are doing. You know this already though.

Users who are viewing this thread