What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another MAGA victory- this time in West Virginia (1 Viewer)

Has anyone in these threads actually won over anyone on the opposing side with all the back n forths and debates ?

Same arguments over and over and over,its like running full force into a wall of iron and expecting it to dent .

Political arguments are rarely won, but that doesn’t mean they serve no purpose. They clarify differences of opinion from those of goodwill on opposite sides. And they can be quite informative to read, especially for those not aware of many of the facts. 

Of course this is all dependent on the honesty of those making the arguments. There are trolls around here whose only purpose is to antagonize others. 

I’m saying you can’t dismiss the fact that the vast majority of Trump’s endorsements are successful. You seem to be trying to explain that away, and focusing on the few times he’s failed. That’s why you remind me of my friend. 

There is an attempt here; by many traditional conservatives, to try and deny just how deeply MAGA has wormed its way into Republican politics. One way is to try and explain away Trump’s record of endorsement victories, which is pretty amazing. Another way is to argue that MAGA positions aren’t really extreme at all but mainstream conservatism. I don’t find either of these arguments to be very compelling. 

I've given from the start his endorsements do have value.  I think your beginning statistics, and assumptions that no other exceptions to the cases that this article either erroneously or intentionally omitted, are wrong..  It's really just that simple.

This.  I'll make this pledge right now - If Trump is running against Kamala or Biden in 2024 I'm voting for Trump.  Tim, you and your ilk can complain all you want about Trump but IMO the country was better off during his Presidency and on a better future track when Trump was President compared to what Biden has offered us in just under a year and a half.  Now cue up the 1/6 rhetoric. 
First off I have no ilk. I wish I did. 
Second, while I obviously strongly disagree with you about Trump’s record as President, I have no idea what it has to do with Trump’s record of endorsements, which is the topic of this thread. 

Finally I have to say: has anyone else here noticed a recurring argument in these threads whenever Republicans do something questionable? It’s always the Democrats’ fault; they drove us to it! 

It really is misleading though - last week it was reported that 22 Trump supported candidates won but 13 of them ran unopposed. 

He might be. But from what I’ve read, if he loses it’s because he’s not MAGA enough and the voters think Trump made an error choosing him. 
Yeah it's almost like the voters are choosing their candidates. But that's not nearly as scary as "the extremists are taking over". 

Finally I have to say: has anyone else here noticed a recurring argument in these threads whenever Republicans do something questionable? It’s always the Democrats’ fault; they drove us to it! 

No one is driving me anywhere.  When I vote I look at the likely policies of the candidates offered.  I would like to think you do the same   In any case, knowing what I know about the candidates I mentioned in my post I can say with a pretty high level of certainty I'd take Trump's policies and where the country was headed under him over Kamala/Biden's policies and where the country IS headed.  I clearly said "IMO" in reference to my preference.  I'm not sure why you always choose to denigrate the posts of those you disagree with.  It's quite unbecoming and seems counter to your supposed stance that you want to have a discussion. 

No one is driving me anywhere.  When I vote I look at the likely policies of the candidates offered.  I would like to think you do the same   In any case, knowing what I know about the candidates I mentioned in my post I can say with a pretty high level of certainty I'd take Trump's policies and where the country was headed under him over Kamala/Biden's policies and where the country IS headed.  I clearly said "IMO" in reference to my preference.  I'm not sure why you always choose to denigrate the posts of those you disagree with.  It's quite unbecoming and seems counter to your supposed stance that you want to have a discussion. 
I wasn’t denigrating you. My comments about they drove us to it were in response to your statement “this”, meaning, I presume, that you were in full agreement with the post you quoted. That post asserted that it is the Democrats’ fault that Republicans are voting for MAGA types. Thus, “they drove us to it.” 

Has anyone in these threads actually won over anyone on the opposing side with all the back n forths and debates ?

Same arguments over and over and over,its like running full force into a wall of iron and expecting it to dent .

A thread like this? I doubt it.    In general? sure.  I changed my stances on a few things in the last several years in large part due to info and discussions in these forums.  Imo if the answer is no and you've been around here for years you either aren't engaging with the correct posters, or you weren't open minded heading in to the discussions.  

It’s a pretty good bet. Look at the candidates that receive his endorsements, study their stances and statements. I challenge you to find a centrist or moderate. 
I challenge you to find an extremist.
JD Vance is such a perfect example of the Trump endorsement thing. Vance was a huge critic of Trump, until he needed his endorsement to have any shot at winning the primary. Well, he got the endorsement by espousing some pretty extreme views (make abortion illegal with no exceptions for rape or incest, Trump lost because of widespread voter fraud, Biden is flooding Ohio with illegal drugs, etc.), and by apologizing and bowing down to Trump.

I wasn’t denigrating you. My comments about they drove us to it were in response to your statement “this”, meaning, I presume, that you were in full agreement with the post you quoted. That post asserted that it is the Democrats’ fault that Republicans are voting for MAGA types. Thus, “they drove us to it.” 

Considering Biden's approval ratings, even in his home state, it's pretty clear the majority of Americans agree with that sentiment.  Polls also show Trump trouncing Biden in a rematch. 

JD Vance is such a perfect example of the Trump endorsement thing. Vance was a huge critic of Trump, until he needed his endorsement to have any shot at winning the primary. Well, he got the endorsement by espousing some pretty extreme views (make abortion illegal with no exceptions for rape or incest, Trump lost because of widespread voter fraud, Biden is flooding Ohio with illegal drugs, etc.), and by apologizing and bowing down to Trump.

What were his policy position prior to that?  Pro-choice, defund the police, mail-in votes with no voter ID?  I honestly don't know.

And Democrats would vote for pedophiles if they were pro-choice.

Hey, this is pretty fun.  We should all make baseless and/or hyperbolic claims as long as it fits our narrative!
Al Franken would disagree.He felt pressure from his own caucus to resign. I would say Democrats are better about criticizing their own for illegal behavior despite not impeaching Clinton for his immoral behavior. (I thought they should have however)

Last edited by a moderator:
This.  I'll make this pledge right now - If Trump is running against Kamala or Biden in 2024 I'm voting for Trump.  Tim, you and your ilk can complain all you want about Trump but IMO the country was better off during his Presidency and on a better future track when Trump was President compared to what Biden has offered us in just under a year and a half.  Now cue up the 1/6 rhetoric. 
Based on what metrics?

As an independent who legitimately has voted left, right, and even for Gary Johnson, my take was that Trump was taking the country down the drain. So, if you think we were on a better future track, what metrics support that? I'm curious.

Based on what metrics?

As an independent who legitimately has voted left, right, and even for Gary Johnson, my take was that Trump was taking the country down the drain. So, if you think we were on a better future track, what metrics support that? I'm curious.

I'll ask you to define this first.  And you can skip 1/6 or mean tweets.  Focus on policy and actual accomplishments or lack thereof.  In what way was he taking the country down the toilet?

I'll ask you to define this first.  And you can skip 1/6 or mean tweets.  Focus on policy and actual accomplishments or lack thereof.  In what way was he taking the country down the toilet?
i think id rather see the people that claim Trump ruined things by explaining how Bidens reversals of Trump policies have helped us and not made things worse,the southern Border for example 

i think id rather see the people that claim Trump ruined things by explaining how Bidens reversals of Trump policies have helped us and not made things worse,the southern Border for example 

Well to be fair, we have 20/20 hindsight right now.  At the time, maybe Biden seemed like a better option.  I'm not sure you could argue that now (though some will try).

1/6 was a pretty big deal and any conversation about Trump and his presidency would be highly incomplete without discussing it

That's fine, but it's irrelevant to me.  For one thing, it happened AFTER he had already lost.  So no one voted for Biden because of the "insurgency."   And I could use the same argument regarding Hunter Biden and his laptop, but I'm pretty sure that's not something you care about.  So we're kind of at a standstill you and I.

I think the fact that 1/6 is "not an issue" for voters only shows how far we've devolved as a nation, and is a perfect example of how right wing media and the GOP have taken over the narrative. It is essentially impossible for someone that tends to vote conservative to admit that the republic came perilously close to collapse that day, and that their leader/party/preferred media is completely at fault. 

And before the whataboutism comes, I'm entirely consistent with this. I'd be just as appalled no matter which letter was behind the name of the candidate that inspired it. 

And for those that would ask what is extreme about the Republican platform, I would ask what the hell that platform even consists of anymore, other than "whatever DJT says." With the benefit of hindsight,  I would still vote for Biden, and will again if I'm forced to.

I think the fact that 1/6 is "not an issue" for voters only shows how far we've devolved as a nation, and is a perfect example of how right wing media and the GOP have taken over the narrative. It is essentially impossible for someone that tends to vote conservative to admit that the republic came perilously close to collapse that day, and that their leader/party/preferred media is completely at fault. 

And before the whataboutism comes, I'm entirely consistent with this. I'd be just as appalled no matter which letter was behind the name of the candidate that inspired it. 

And for those that would ask what is extreme about the Republican platform, I would ask what the hell that platform even consists of anymore, other than "whatever DJT says." With the benefit of hindsight,  I would still vote for Biden, and will again if I'm forced to.
This.  I'm a registered republican but truth be told I have voted for both R and D candidates so I'm a centrist. But I will not vote for any candidate that aligns themselves with Trump and the MAGA movement. It used to be you voted for the Candidate with best ideas that would make YOUR life better. From what I can see, many of the right now vote for the Candidate that can make the Liberals life WORSE.  Owning the Libs is no way to govern.

This.  I'm a registered republican but truth be told I have voted for both R and D candidates so I'm a centrist. But I will not vote for any candidate that aligns themselves with Trump and the MAGA movement. It used to be you voted for the Candidate with best ideas that would make YOUR life better. From what I can see, many of the right now vote for the Candidate that can make the Liberals life WORSE.  Owning the Libs is no way to govern.
I fully agree with the Washington Post's Eugene Robinson...

"First off, folks, let me be very clear tonight. The election in 2020 was rigged and stolen. That baldfaced lie was former senator David Perdue’s opening line Sunday in a primary debate against the fellow Republican whose job he is trying to take, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp. The shocking thing about this falsehood is that nobody should be particularly shocked. It would have been more surprising if Perdue had told the truth.

"The GOP has made clear that it intends to run a “post-truth” campaign in the November elections. No Republican who goes along with this abominable strategy — no Republican who doesn’t publicly denounce it — deserves your vote. Not a single one of them

"It is no exaggeration to say that what the onetime Party of Lincoln is doing constitutes a dire threat to the very idea of democracy. A contest between liberal and conservative philosophies is healthy. An asymmetrical clash between one party grappling with nuanced reality and another party deliberately spewing paranoid fiction is dangerously corrosive to the fabric of the nation."

As someone who has cast far more votes for Republicans than Democrats this will be what i will be doing going forward until the GOP is cleansed of this insanity

Once again MAGA triumphs as the Trump backed candidate, Mooney, wins over the Republican establishment candidate, McKinley. McKinley’s major sin? He voted for the infrastructure bill (because it benefits West Virginia.) 

I think it is now a reasonable statement to declare that the Republican Party is become dominated by its most extreme members. On the Democratic side, candidates backed by AOC and Bernie consistently lose out to centrists. On the Republican side, candidates backed by Trump consistently defeat centrists. 

IMO this is unknown until we see if Roe is officially overturned and how the party reacts to it.  Will anti-abortion crusaders feel empowered enough to campaign on making abortion a death penalty-level offense?  How will testing the waters on a nationwide abortion ban go?  Will the bloc that wants to ban contraceptives get traction?

IMO this is unknown until we see if Roe is officially overturned and how the party reacts to it.  Will anti-abortion crusaders feel empowered enough to campaign on making abortion a death penalty-level offense?  How will testing the waters on a nationwide abortion ban go?  Will the bloc that wants to ban contraceptives get traction?
What, lol?

No, no and no.  Absurd.

What?? What the heck are you talking about? Prior to a couple losses last night, Trump’s choices have won 55 in a row. That’s an incredible number: 

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-endorsements-primaries-david-perdue-mehmet-oz-1703728?amp=1

So 55-2. That’s your math. 
Same publication...

"No one can take the Trump 'winning percentage' seriously when his endorsements include candidates running unopposed and others without serious opposition, and when he un-endorses candidates like Mo Brooks who fail to flourish,"

Same publication...

"No one can take the Trump 'winning percentage' seriously when his endorsements include candidates running unopposed and others without serious opposition, and when he un-endorses candidates like Mo Brooks who fail to flourish,"
It’s still a big number no matter how you slice it. And it’s pretty obvious that Trump pays a huge role in getting these guys nominated. If he didn’t, they wouldn’t all be begging for his endorsement. 

What?? What the heck are you talking about? Prior to a couple losses last night, Trump’s choices have won 55 in a row. That’s an incredible number: 

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-endorsements-primaries-david-perdue-mehmet-oz-1703728?amp=1

So 55-2. That’s your math. 
Same publication...

"No one can take the Trump 'winning percentage' seriously when his endorsements include candidates running unopposed and others without serious opposition, and when he un-endorses candidates like Mo Brooks who fail to flourish."

Going from memory, as of about a month ago, FiveThirtyEight had Trump-backed candidates winning at about a 70% clip, which is not impressive given that he's backed mostly incumbents, and incumbents typically win at a higher rate than that.

Not much help with record gas prices and 40 year high inflation. You also have the immigration issue in boarder states.  Doesn’t look good for then Dems.
As long as the young people continue to stay home, the Dems will get white-washed.  But... Roe vs Wade may play a role in getting them to the polls.  It's difficult to say, because they are notorious for staying home.

It’s still a big number no matter how you slice it. And it’s pretty obvious that Trump pays a huge role in getting these guys nominated. If he didn’t, they wouldn’t all be begging for his endorsement. 
I think the candidate polling way ahead and being more popular plays a huge part in trump endorsing them. 

Trump loves looking successful, even when he didnt do anything. 

But this is simply the most mundane ordinary political stuff. Trump is popular - candidates are going to want his endorsement. When Biden was running he mercilessly abused the phrase "my friend Barack Obama . . . "

January 6th and withholding funding isn't an issue voters care about.  There not a policy platform issue, there events.  

Immigration, Inflation, Foreign policy, crime, taxes, energy dependence, trade, climate...those are policy platform issues.  Again, what's so extreme.    
Whether they are "issues voters care about" isn't really the point.  The point is, those things, plus a host of others, clearly show that one of the Trump/MAGA overriding political philosophies is "laws and guardrails don't apply to us".  That is absolutely an extreme position.

Regarding other policy positions that one might consider extreme, I'll go with "fealty".  The last official GOP platform was literally, "whatever Trump says".  Fealty to one individual is absolutely an extreme position.

Moving on, the policy position of "do nothing" on climate change is extreme.  As far as some others you listed...  I have no idea what Trump's position on inflation is other than "it's bad, Biden's fault".  Trump's position on foreign policy appears to be "NATO bad, China/Russia's fault".  Trump's position on immigration is "build a wall, Mexico won't pay for it".  Trump's policy on taxes is "starve the beast", which failed miserably the last time and is failing again.  Trump's policy on trade is "scold China while punishing Americans".  All of those seem pretty extreme to me.

Whether they are "issues voters care about" isn't really the point.  The point is, those things, plus a host of others, clearly show that one of the Trump/MAGA overriding political philosophies is "laws and guardrails don't apply to us".  That is absolutely an extreme position.

Regarding other policy positions that one might consider extreme, I'll go with "fealty".  The last official GOP platform was literally, "whatever Trump says".  Fealty to one individual is absolutely an extreme position.

Moving on, the policy position of "do nothing" on climate change is extreme.  As far as some others you listed...  I have no idea what Trump's position on inflation is other than "it's bad, Biden's fault".  Trump's position on foreign policy appears to be "NATO bad, China/Russia's fault".  Trump's position on immigration is "build a wall, Mexico won't pay for it".  Trump's policy on taxes is "starve the beast", which failed miserably the last time and is failing again.  Trump's policy on trade is "scold China while punishing Americans".  All of those seem pretty extreme to me.

The US is one of the leading countries with respect to climate change and it was that way DURING the Trump administration.  If by do nothing you mean, leaving the Paris Climate Accord, that was a good idea to do, not a bad one.  That accord is absolute garbage with no teeth when it comes to enforcement.  It's nothing more than a wish list where the US gives a bunch of money to other countries.  

Trump's position on NATO was start paying your fair share and stop relying on the US.  Funny, after Russia invaded the Ukraine, Germany finally realized Trump was right and is now increasing their spending on their military.  

Not building a wall has worked great.  Look at the mess the border is.  

The US is one of the leading countries with respect to climate change and it was that way DURING the Trump administration.  If by do nothing you mean, leaving the Paris Climate Accord, that was a good idea to do, not a bad one.  That accord is absolute garbage with no teeth when it comes to enforcement.  It's nothing more than a wish list where the US gives a bunch of money to other countries.  

Trump's position on NATO was start paying your fair share and stop relying on the US.  Funny, after Russia invaded the Ukraine, Germany finally realized Trump was right and is now increasing their spending on their military.  

Not building a wall has worked great.  Look at the mess the border is.  
Sorry, but this is just an absolute fiction.  Trump didn't implement anything to help with climate change.  You can say the Paris Accord wasn't good enough, but if you're going to do so, you need to advocate for something bigger and better, not just take your ball and go home.  And let's not pretend that Trump left the Paris Accord because it didn't do enough to combat climate change.  Re: NATO and defense spending, you have the cause and affect backwards.  It's not "the US spends more because NATO countries spend less", it's "NATO countries spend less BECAUSE the US spends more".  That is, our Congress (both parties) is in thrall to the defense industry and spends so much that other NATO countries don't need to.  And just stop with "the wall".  How many new miles of wall did Trump build?  How much did he and his cronies grift via GoFundMe and other sources for "the wall"?  How'd that work out?  How'd "Mexico will pay for it" work out?

I also notice you conveniently ignored the "laws don't apply to us" and "fealty" overriding policies.

Sorry, but this is just an absolute fiction.  Trump didn't implement anything to help with climate change.  You can say the Paris Accord wasn't good enough, but if you're going to do so, you need to advocate for something bigger and better, not just take your ball and go home.  And let's not pretend that Trump left the Paris Accord because it didn't do enough to combat climate change.  Re: NATO and defense spending, you have the cause and affect backwards.  It's not "the US spends more because NATO countries spend less", it's "NATO countries spend less BECAUSE the US spends more".  That is, our Congress (both parties) is in thrall to the defense industry and spends so much that other NATO countries don't need to.  And just stop with "the wall".  How many new miles of wall did Trump build?  How much did he and his cronies grift via GoFundMe and other sources for "the wall"?  How'd that work out?  How'd "Mexico will pay for it" work out?

I also notice you conveniently ignored the "laws don't apply to us" and "fealty" overriding policies.
Rich nothing we do will help with climate change. We could go 100% zero carbon tomorrow and China and India alone would wipe that out in 10 years. What’s the point? This would all come at the expense of working and middle class families. The left doesn’t have a leg to stand on regarding the climate unless they get serious about nuclear 

Users who are viewing this thread