What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Gates - 2015 (1 Viewer)

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Sorry but no indexed Gates thread that isn't archived....

So how are we all feeling Antonio Gates, now two games into a four game suspension? And news that Ladarius Green has had two concussions in the space of 11 days? Swan song double digit TD season in store? :yes:

With all the TE injuries and uncertainty across the board, I don't see any reason why Gates can't be a top-5 TE once he gets back. Furthermore, I think it is clear that Rivers has been missing his presence in the redzone. The passing game has bogged down a lot down there these first two games. He'd probably have 100+ yards and a TD or 2 if he were playing right now.

I would bet that Gates comes back with a slight chip on his shoulder also. Wanting to prove he can still perform well without PEDs. The only thing that will hold him back from being top 5 is Stevie Johnson. He has been getting a lot of the grabs that Gates would normally get. Although, odds are Malcolm Floyd's yearly injury happens soon and Allen, Johnson Gates can all get a nice big slice of the Rivers pie.

Have Gates rostered on 2 teams already. Think he's going to be fine once he comes back from suspension.

Just swooped him off waiver wire as a FA while dropping Cameron. Picked up Rudolph for the next couple weeks to see the buildup of Gates returning to action. The guy has been great and continues to perform very well. I remember watching him play basketball at Kent State with my buddy Trevor Huffman. Sweet 16.

I'm waiting to see if M Bennett can do something good tonight if not, he'll be going to the waiver for Gates.

How does gates affect LGreen. Rivers loves Gates and hardly threw to Green last year. However, Green has established himself this year and has potentially earned a role from the coaching staff (especially given al the injuries) and Rivers. Yet, with heir OLine decimated, will one TE stay back to block (green) ands hike the other releases for receptions?

Or, does Green steal opportunities from Gates given that he's missed 4 games and chemistry, rhythm or game speed and conditioning may be off for a week or so?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't get is why Inman is the forgotten one. FBGs touted Green as one of the top of their pickups. With Gates returning? Does not compute. Inman should grab a lot of the Floyd and Smith slack. And Gates will get the Green looks. Yet Green is what they say to user your money on. Inman is at the bottom of their WW at 1%. Weird.

How does gates affect LGreen. Rivers loves Gates and hardly threw to Green last year. However, Green has established himself this year and has potentially earned a role from the coaching staff (especially given al the injuries) and Rivers. Yet, with heir OLine decimated, will one TE stay back to block (green) ands hike the other releases for receptions?

Or, does Green steal opportunities from Gates given that he's missed 4 games and chemistry, rhythm or game speed and conditioning may be off for a week or so?
Green is not a good blocker and with injuries to Johnson/Floyd, I still see him as relevant the next few weeks.

Gates, IMO, is coming back at the perfect time. With Floyd/Johnson banged up, he should have a role and impact right away. It helps Green because he'll still be needed as well. We already know Rivers/Gates have one of the best connections in the league. I would have no worries with Gates this week or going forward. The Chargers haven't been able to run the ball much so far this year.

What impact will Gates' return have on Woodhead? I haven't seen any of the SD games this year to see how they are using Woodhead and how that may change with Gates.

The question I'm pondering is whether Gates comes out on fire in his 2015 debut on MNF vs PITT. I'm rolling with him over some other good options due to his upside and he'll make a good storyline for MNF.

What impact will Gates' return have on Woodhead? I haven't seen any of the SD games this year to see how they are using Woodhead and how that may change with Gates.
I did just move Woodhead on the team I had both he and Gates. Think SD wants to try and run more which means more Gordon. And those dumpoffs Woodhead has been seeing, will not become passes to Gates. Woodhead could still be a nice RB2 going forward in PPR, but I think he sees his numbers go down now that Gates is back.

Different type of question/use.

In leagues where TE's are not a position by themselves but lumped in with WR.

What players would Gates be ranked around?

Someone just offered me Vincent Jackson for Gates but I turned it down, not sure if that is representative of the type of WR he is lumped in with but I would put him as a solid WR2.

Someone just offered me Vincent Jackson for Gates but I turned it down, not sure if that is representative of the type of WR he is lumped in with but I would put him as a solid WR2.
Thanks, probably not many leagues run like this so it hard to guage.

My two of John Brown, and Brandin Cooks, just have not done much,

I keep holding but now wonder about Gates being out there on the wire.

Anybody have the guts to start him today? Looks like a terrible matchup. However the rain can be funny sometimes. With not other options (Chandler is so iffy now), I might let Gate rip. Historically he hasn't down great against KC. Any reason for optimism at all here? Or is this another 23-3 game for the Bolts.

I'm sitting him as well for Sefarian-Jenkins. Bad matchup, Rivers not very healthy, 1:00 game on the road in the rain against a team playing for something. I'd also believe the Chiefs will give him extra attention as the Chargers don't have much else to throw to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't bring myself to sit him for Ryan Griffin so Gates it is with the hope he'll get a ton of targets due to depleted San Diego passing game.

I can't bring myself to sit him for Ryan Griffin so Gates it is with the hope he'll get a ton of targets due to depleted San Diego passing game.
Even with going against a great defense and having his QB sick and not being able to do much of late? Sure he had 2 TDs a few weeks ago, but other than his clump TDs he doesnt do much.

Even with going against a great defense and having his QB sick and not being able to do much of late? Sure he had 2 TDs a few weeks ago, but other than his clump TDs he doesnt do much.
11 points in PPR last week. i'll take that again today.

Also, in first KC game Rivers missed him running wide open for what likely would've been a 30-40 yard gain and missed him open on another crossing route that likely goes for around 10. I realize near misses don't count but Gates wasn't far removed from a respectable day despite the difficult matchup. Plus if they do get near the EZ you know Rivers will be looking for him so he always carries TD potential.

Again, my choices are Griffin or go to the WW and grab Clive Walford. Could one or both of them do better? Sure but Gates in my opinion carries a much safer floor and clearly has a much higher ceiling so I'm gonna roll with him.

11 points in PPR last week. i'll take that again today.

Also, in first KC game Rivers missed him running wide open for what likely would've been a 30-40 yard gain and missed him open on another crossing route that likely goes for around 10. I realize near misses don't count but Gates wasn't far removed from a respectable day despite the difficult matchup. Plus if they do get near the EZ you know Rivers will be looking for him so he always carries TD potential.

Again, my choices are Griffin or go to the WW and grab Clive Walford. Could one or both of them do better? Sure but Gates in my opinion carries a much safer floor and clearly has a much higher ceiling so I'm gonna roll with him.
Pouring rain today, how does that play into this?

I'm hoping for a clump of TDs today.
Seems very boom or bust. I'm starting Olsen and Reed over him. Not super confident tho

Pouring rain but Chargers can't run the ball and will likely be playing from behind so Rivers probably is passing a ton today. With depleted weapons Gates should be his No. 1 target so he could be very active.

Am I feeling extremely confident? Nope. But again it comes down to options. If I had someone like ASJ I'd go with him in a heartbeat. But I don't. It's either Gates or Griffin or grab Walford off the WW. Given those options I'm going Gates and hoping for a lot of volume and a possible TD at best.

Users who are viewing this thread