What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (2 Viewers)

Having it in a screwdown holder for that long may have reduced it's value, so I'd second guess bothering sending it in if you ever want to.  I'm not a graded collector but I'm pretty sure the only things worth sending in from the junk era are those that you think will get the highest grade.
Were the screw downs the trend in the mid-90s? I had like 25 cards in those, some dealer must’ve sold them to me that way. 

Not really an active collector any more, but I love talking about this.  I like that Cappy shared a card.  I'm going to randomly post cards that I like.
I randomly mail cards to friends.

A couple are FBGs.

The funnier the better.

If you want to get on the mailing list PM me your address.

Not really an active collector any more, but I love talking about this.  I like that Cappy shared a card.  I'm going to randomly post cards that I like.
It was fun to talk about it today. Thanks everyone for your opinions. 

comfortably numb said:
1982 traded Ripken 10 potential
I've got an 82 traded set, still sealed with the original (yellowing) tape that I have to decide whether to unseal it and potentially have grade-worthy one, or keep it sealed and sell it and get something for the "potential" and let someone else take the risk of opening it and getting a 25/75 centered Ripken.

I've got an 82 traded set, still sealed with the original (yellowing) tape that I have to decide whether to unseal it and potentially have grade-worthy one, or keep it sealed and sell it and get something for the "potential" and let someone else take the risk of opening it and getting a 25/75 centered Ripken.

Depends on how much need you need the money and want to take the risk

300ish for a sealed set

500ish for a PSA 9

5-6k for a PSA 10

Last edited by a moderator:
if it's any guidance, I had an 86 traded set, and even relatively untouched (I think I had maybe taken the cards out once just to make sure they were all in there :lol: ) they were less than GEM 10 condition. Partly just because quality wasn't a big deal back then when producing (terrible centering, stains, etc.), and partly getting jostled around inside of boxes. I'm just saying that just because it's a sealed product, don't count on it being a 10, maybe not even a 9. 

if it's any guidance, I had an 86 traded set, and even relatively untouched (I think I had maybe taken the cards out once just to make sure they were all in there :lol: ) they were less than GEM 10 condition. Partly just because quality wasn't a big deal back then when producing (terrible centering, stains, etc.), and partly getting jostled around inside of boxes. I'm just saying that just because it's a sealed product, don't count on it being a 10, maybe not even a 9. 
Yeaz I opened 1 last yeat and have the ripken set to go for grading in my pile.

Won't get a 10 as it's OC but maybe a 9OC

For the entertainment of this thread, please open and post photo.  

For monetary reasons, I'd probably keep it sealed.  People love paying for the potential upside of the unknown.  After looking at the prices of raw Ripkens pulled from the set, you probably won't do much better than this and then you have to pay another $100 and wait a year to get it back in hopes it goes 9 or above:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/384514053182?hash=item5986d2d43e:g:UTwAAOSwXtthmqJM

I think a good buy is the 2018 donruss football set.  You can find sealed sets for $200 on eBay.  The Allen rookies are the big draw.  It also has K Murray, and L Jackson, so it can move up some.  

I want to add a Jordan rookie but it scares me how many there are and how many still are getting graded. Will a PSA 5-7 hold long term value or only the 8-10s? 

I want to add a Jordan rookie but it scares me how many there are and how many still are getting graded. Will a PSA 5-7 hold long term value or only the 8-10s? 
I'll be adding one this year as well.

Personally 

I think the high end card market still drops (aside from outlines still performing)

I would set your budget and try to simply get the best grade possible (PSA/SGC)  only imo

Lately on Ebay, I have been having some decent success on using the Buy it Now feature. Some people just simply don't know what they have and they start out their listing way too low. I was looking at Javonte Williams autos and one of the cards was listed at $30 and the next six auctions were $50+.  I managed to snag some of his jersey cards for 1.50, while the next auction over was $5.00.  I haven't tried higher end cards with this process, but it is worth a shot. 

Courtjester said:
Lately on Ebay, I have been having some decent success on using the Buy it Now feature. Some people just simply don't know what they have and they start out their listing way too low. I was looking at Javonte Williams autos and one of the cards was listed at $30 and the next six auctions were $50+.  I managed to snag some of his jersey cards for 1.50, while the next auction over was $5.00.  I haven't tried higher end cards with this process, but it is worth a shot. 
It’s been good lately.  The great thing about the new money is it’s the FOMO on the next GOAT or  nothing.  While they are throwing dead money on the Jalen Hurts bounce back, I pick up a score ARod end zone /6 for $28.

I think a good buy is the 2018 donruss football set.  You can find sealed sets for $200 on eBay.  The Allen rookies are the big draw.  It also has K Murray, and L Jackson, so it can move up some.  
I've been doing this but buying blaster boxes.  Lower cost of entry to buy blasters of the base Donruss sets.  Plus I think people like the mystery of the blasters and possibility of hitting on inserts.  Rough market prices (ebay) by year of ones I picked up over the last few years:

2021 - $40

2020 - $55

2019 - $70

2018 - $110

2017 - $310

I came REALLY close to buying a sealed case of 2017 blaster boxes about a year ago.  Had a few grand from flipping an old arcade conversion kit on ebay and almost pulled the trigger but didn't think my wife would have appreciated that.  Could have doubled my money in a year.  :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be adding one this year as well.

Personally 

I think the high end card market still drops (aside from outlines still performing)

I would set your budget and try to simply get the best grade possible (PSA/SGC)  only imo

I knew there were a lot of fake Jordans out there and depended on PSA for security.  Now I'm learning of all the fake PSA slabs out there.  You really need to do your due diligence before purchasing even PSAs and check the serial number/photos for accuracy.  I guess it was only a matter of time.  

I've continued working on my goal of completing Topps basketball sets from 1981/82 all the way down to 1969/70. I have 74/75 to 81/82 completed, and I'm about a dozen short on each of the 73/74 and 72/73 seasons (including the Dr. J rookie, which I might need to settle for PSA 3 or less, just too darn expensive). I have about 90 of the 99 cards from the 69/70 set, without the Lew Alcindor RC (another one I'll probably never be able to afford). 

I've continued working on my goal of completing Topps basketball sets from 1981/82 all the way down to 1969/70. I have 74/75 to 81/82 completed, and I'm about a dozen short on each of the 73/74 and 72/73 seasons (including the Dr. J rookie, which I might need to settle for PSA 3 or less, just too darn expensive). I have about 90 of the 99 cards from the 69/70 set, without the Lew Alcindor RC (another one I'll probably never be able to afford). 
Awesome man.

Keep it going!

Wondering if anyone can speculate on what is going on with the following situation.

I'm watching this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175114099582

Then I noticed the same card seems to have been sold 3 times by the same seller in the last 90 days when searching 130 point:

https://130point.com/sales/

Seems odd, right?
Yea, definitely. 

I just checked his sold listings.  Same BGS lebron sold 4x 

Either he is extremely unlucky with non payers

Has the same card times over and too last to change pic

Or if you bid on his stuff...you'll be bidding against his 2nd account or bff

Yea, definitely. 

I just checked his sold listings.  Same BGS lebron sold 4x 

Either he is extremely unlucky with non payers

Has the same card times over and too last to change pic

Or if you bid on his stuff...you'll be bidding against his 2nd account or bff
Yep, exactly. Most likely shilling. 

I will say though, I've got a card listed that is now on it's third listing in about 3 weeks. Two non-payers back to back, and one was a guy that had bought from me before. But it's not a slab, and it's the only time I've had it happen more than once. 

Wondering if anyone can speculate on what is going on with the following situation.

I'm watching this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175114099582

Then I noticed the same card seems to have been sold 3 times by the same seller in the last 90 days when searching 130 point:

https://130point.com/sales/

Seems odd, right?
Get a sniping tool and that should take care of the problem.   It has been bad lately as sellers are not getting what they expected.  

1971 Topps Baseball set.   The one with all black borders.  

How much would you pay for a complete set in very good to excellent condition?

I had one delivered today and will be home tonight to check it out 

Have 68, 70 and 71 now.  

Have 68, 70 and 71 now.  
I sold one kinda just before the big card boom and during covid for 1198.

VG to EX....kinda depends on the condition of the big boys and high numbers.

I think 1400-1800 range is a good price. 

One thing I learned the hard way from sending cards to get graded is that set is notorious for coloring.

I would pull the big guys out and check for that...can be hard to tell.

Otherwise, great set man. Enjoy!

One thing I learned the hard way from sending cards to get graded is that set is notorious for coloring.

Thanks.  Can't wait to see it. 

The 1970 set I replaced 60 slightly marked with red pen cards and its in very good shape.  Saw a set on ebay very similar go for 3100.  

A fair price,  The coloring is an issue for sure, as is centering.

Getzlaf15 said:

Have 68, 70 and 71 now.  
Was able to finally check it out.   All the cards are in very good shape.  No marks.  Color on the fronts is quite good. Each card appears to have been in its own sleeve and box for a long time.  The better cards are in the hard sleeves.

All four corners in excellent shape on most. Some very, very minor loss of black on a few edges/corners.  None bad at all.

The backs of these cards were very hard to read back in 1971.  The darker green was an awful choice. Never was a fan of listing the stats of just last year and career totals.  I paid $1550 for the set and think it's worth more than that.  I've got. couple of local dealers I trust and will take a dozen cards and get their opinions.

Was able to finally check it out.   All the cards are in very good shape.  No marks.  Color on the fronts is quite good. Each card appears to have been in its own sleeve and box for a long time.  The better cards are in the hard sleeves.

All four corners in excellent shape on most. Some very, very minor loss of black on a few edges/corners.  None bad at all.

The backs of these cards were very hard to read back in 1971.  The darker green was an awful choice. Never was a fan of listing the stats of just last year and career totals.  I paid $1550 for the set and think it's worth more than that.  I've got. couple of local dealers I trust and will take a dozen cards and get their opinions.
Wow 

That sounds great.

Good job

So the other night, I checked out the last 90 cards in the set.  Tonight I checked out every card.  Only one card, Paul Blair, had the smallest of a nick at the top.  All the cards had perfect four corners.   I think these cards have been in sleeves and in a box the entire time. A lot of the backs looked great also.  In looking at other sets for sale on EBay where I see grades of 5 to 7, these cards are almost all 7's.

So the other night, I checked out the last 90 cards in the set.  Tonight I checked out every card.  Only one card, Paul Blair, had the smallest of a nick at the top.  All the cards had perfect four corners.   I think these cards have been in sleeves and in a box the entire time. A lot of the backs looked great also.  In looking at other sets for sale on EBay where I see grades of 5 to 7, these cards are almost all 7's.
The 5s come from poor centering even when corners are great.

Sounds like your cards are crisp and considered a high end/high grade set.

Is your plan to just hold? Grade any?

Hoe are the Ryan/Munson/Aaron/Mays and Baylor RC?

The 5s come from poor centering even when corners are great.

Sounds like your cards are crisp and considered a high end/high grade set.

Is your plan to just hold? Grade any?

Hoe are the Ryan/Munson/Aaron/Mays and Baylor RC?
There are a few 5's with centering not perfect. Not many.    All the famous cards are in great shape.  Ryan you can tell has been handled a few times and I would downgrade that one a notch.

Users who are viewing this thread